Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

when i was a kid polar kraken was one of my favorite cards

You might wanna buy a couple before they're all gone forever then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

You might wanna buy a couple before they're all gone forever then!

i have a ton of them, i bought countless boxes of ice age

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ok now they've gone too far.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
honestly one of those two isn't a buyout, it's fallout from Chapin's premium article this week on a new combo with the card and Crossroads Consecrator from the upcoming EMN

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
8/1 B&R Changes:
  • Vintage - Channel unrestricted.
  • Legacy - Counterbalance banned.
  • Pauper - Peregrine Drake banned.
  • All other formats - No changes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Toshimo posted:

8/1 B&R Changes:
  • Vintage - Channel unrestricted.
  • Legacy - Counterbalance banned.
  • Pauper - Peregrine Drake banned.
  • All other formats - No changes.

I nominate Toshimo for B&R List Curator.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I'm 100% behind vintage channel/lich's mirror combo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There is a 0% chance counterbalance would be banned before top

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

cheetah7071 posted:

There is a 0% chance counterbalance would be banned before top

Nonsense. Top is used in other decks without issue. Miracles is the problem, so you need to isolate a card that only that deck uses.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Except wizards has repeatedly targeted top in multiple formats for reasons other than power level.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Nonsense. Top is used in other decks without issue. Miracles is the problem, so you need to isolate a card that only that deck uses.

And that card is Terminus.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

I'm dying I recently got a narwhal to prop on my doorframe.

And uh how about O'Blixalis

e: drat counterbalance. Arguments for that, top, or terminus were all reasonable I never felt strongly any which way about it.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 14, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Terminus is the weakest dagger to Miracles, Top has a lot of splash damage but also kills Miracles, and killing counterbalance leaves top for all the non-blue decks that want card filtering.

Any deck aside from Miracles that runs top isn't going to run to time with just top, so I don't think top has any reason to vanish from legacy other than gently caress Miracles.

I've been saying Terminus should go for a year though. Letting decks fight the counterspell deck with fast creatures or more expensive creatures is great, and supreme verdict is fast enough to be playable but slow enough to not be oppressive in the way a "W: tuck all creatures to avoid all death triggers and recursion potential" is oppressive.

On the other hand, banning top makes it safer for them to print more Miracles cards in the future :v:

gently caress that mechanic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/oarsman79/status/753351208580947968

:allears: Love the discussion this spawned. :allears:

I really like Joe Lossett for the most part. Played against him at least 3 times and he was pleasant to play against even when he didn't win. His opinions on the brokenness of miracles is way too biased, for obvious reasons. I would figure such a good magic player would simply admit that he is emotional invested in the deck and can't let it go.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Well it turns out that after selling all my standard good stuff, it seems the cards that I assumed were bulk are now making w/u a deck. I guess I will play that in standard no matter if its poo poo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

I really like Joe Lossett for the most part. Played against him at least 3 times and he was pleasant to play against even when he didn't win. His opinions on the brokenness of miracles is way too biased, for obvious reasons. I would figure such a good magic player would simply admit that he is emotional invested in the deck and can't let it go.

Are you loving joking? Literally the hallmark of a nerd is the dumb logic fallacy that befalls so many of them where "I am logical, therefore all of my opinions are fact based"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

And I hate to admit it, but Jeff's paper magic stream is great. I was sure that this was going to be trash and right off the bat it appears he put effort into putting this together and put something different out there that people are going to like.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

I'm amazed how many people are mad at Lossett for saying it. He's not mean and he's not wrong. I'd have thought it was understood that when you present something publicly, you open yourself up to public response, but I guess nerds being afraid of possibly getting called on their own poo poo brings out the "only high-fives in public" mentality.

Keeping this poo poo private cuts off a discussion about coverage that lots more people than Lossett and the bad commentators du jour could contribute to. Is Lossett supposed to just sit back and think about how poor coverage is but never effectively address it? Because that's our job.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

Yeah, the argument that he wins by pre-boarding against the mirror reallllly isn't doing him any favors. That's kind of the definition of a meta-warping deck when you have to do that.

Johnny Landmine posted:

I'm amazed how many people are mad at Lossett for saying it. He's not mean and he's not wrong. I'd have thought it was understood that when you present something publicly, you open yourself up to public response, but I guess nerds being afraid of possibly getting called on their own poo poo brings out the "only high-fives in public" mentality.

Keeping this poo poo private cuts off a discussion about coverage that lots more people than Lossett and the bad commentators du jour could contribute to. Is Lossett supposed to just sit back and think about how poor coverage is but never effectively address it? Because that's our job.

I think the problem was that he basically said "lol these idiots suck" except in a nicer way and he didn't try to add anything productive after. He's not wrong but there's better ways to do it.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

suicidesteve posted:

I think the problem was that he basically said "lol these idiots suck" except in a nicer way and he didn't try to add anything productive after. He's not wrong but there's better ways to do it.

Fair enough - I mean, I think "they didn't prepare enough" at least begins to offer something more constructive than "they're dumb and bad," but you're right that it needs a follow-through. But look how many of the responses are specifically and solely "No fair, you can't say this in front of everybody."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

in 140 characters he manages two names, prefaces it with a compliment to soften the blow, and points to a specific reason for why they were commentating badly.

You can't exactly attach your powerpoint deck and list the entire 20 step roadmap to goodtalkin' in a single tweet.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Could have wrote a reddit thread that was twice as long and linked it in a tweet. "The thing was bad" on twitter isn't very useful and reads like a call out.

Which I have no problem with but duh :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

in 140 characters he manages two names, prefaces it with a compliment to soften the blow, and points to a specific reason for why they were commentating badly.

You can't exactly attach your powerpoint deck and list the entire 20 step roadmap to goodtalkin' in a single tweet.

It's almost like Twitter isn't the right place to have that discussion.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Magic story time!

-Thalia is leading the remaining uncorrupted cathars. There aren't many of them. The Inquisition is totally Emrakuled and calling themselves the Sinpurged.

-Thalia is possessed by Saint Traft and riding a gryff

-One of her grizzled cathars shows up with Avacyn's spear. He can't touch it without pain but she can cause Traft

-Everyone gets really depressed when they see the spear because it means Avacyn's dead but Thalia rallies them with a speech

-They're heading for Thraben. So are lots of emrakul monstrosities. They fight some and Thalia kills It That Rides As One but a Cathar is overcome by Emrakorruption and has to be put down.

-They meet Olivia and her vampire army, Olivia does some alpha dog power play stuff but agrees to an alliance

-Thraben is under siege. Everyone is fighting back. They're making progress until Brisela shows up. Thalia/Traft summons a ton of geists to possess her soldiers to make them immune to corruption

-Sigarda fights Brisela and buys Thalia time. Thalia lets Traft take the wheel and kills Brisela with Avacyn's spear. Hooray! Sigarda is free and uncorrupted.

-Too bad. Emrakul shows up and everyone is hosed.

From the look of things the Gatewatch will then show up and save everyone, mostly using Lili's army of the undead. Jace and Tamiyo will seal Emrakul in the silver moon using Tami's research plus moon magic. The Gatewatch will then gently caress off to advenntuuuure

NFI what Sorin or Nahri are doing; probs having a final show down privately because as older planeswalkers they feel above all this poo poo and Sorin appears to have given up on Innistrad anyway and wants payback. They will likely appear again later having a running fight till Ugin steps in.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

suicidesteve posted:

It's almost like Twitter isn't the right place to have that discussion.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Gridlocked posted:

NFI what Sorin or Nahri are doing; probs having a final show down privately because as older planeswalkers they feel above all this poo poo and Sorin appears to have given up on Innistrad anyway and wants payback. They will likely appear again later having a running fight till Ugin steps in.

They already did their thing. Sorin's locked in a box, Nahiri peaced out, and Olivia declared herself lord of Innistrad.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Gridlocked posted:

That was last week. Nahiri basically used Sorin's hubris against him, locking him in a stone prison so he could watch Emrakul wreck Innistrad and planeswalked away. It was hilarious.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Is it just me or was the writing not terrible this week? It wasn't incredible but it did a competent job of describing the setting and events without any cringeworthy lines, which is more than I can usually say.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Retromancer posted:

They already did their thing. Sorin's locked in a box, Nahiri peaced out, and Olivia declared herself lord of Innistrad.

There were rumors that the art book said Nahiri killed Olivia before she left, or am I misremembering?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

There were rumors that the art book said Nahiri killed Olivia before she left, or am I misremembering?

I remember the same thing. Something about Sorin using her to save himself or something?

Unrelated, there is a guy at my LGS that has these nude zombie tokens and proxy lands. I realized there isn't much cheesecake depicting men. I was wondering if they made sleeves or something and how I would go about looking for them since Google just gets me to clothing stores.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
sorin_x_jace_playmat.png

Sep 13, 2007

Jabor posted:

sorin_x_jace_playmat.png

Something I would want to actually look at.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Oraculum Animi posted:

there isn't much cheesecake depicting men.

You're not wrong, but I'll never pass up a chance to post one of the few counterexamples, because :allears:

Lets Pickle posted:

Is it just me or was the writing not terrible this week?

Aside from one or two annoying bits, yea, whomever wrote this week's must be one of the better less awful writers on staff.

Sep 13, 2007

bitprophet posted:

You're not wrong, but I'll never pass up a chance to post one of the few counterexamples, because :allears:

I love that card but do they make decent quality sleeves with him on it? Or possibly similar stuff from a third party? That's what I'm trying to find. It's easy to find anime girls and big titted general fantasy women but not the men.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This was always my favorite part of the art

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Spirits talk:

The deck doesn't have as much brute force as Bant Humans, and more importantly it can't go as long. Between Tireless Tracker, Duskwatch Recruiter, and Thraben Inspector you can keep the gas going. Spirits has Bygone Bishop, and that is pretty much it.
Adding 2x Gideon helped.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oraculum Animi posted:

Something I would want to actually look at.

Sadly we never got them made. The idea and art came around before Kickstarter existed. I forget the creator but maybe if they can be contacted and there's enough interest we can realize the dream.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Sigma-X posted:

Any deck aside from Miracles that runs top isn't going to run to time with just top, so I don't think top has any reason to vanish from legacy other than gently caress Miracles.

I may actually quit legacy if they ban top, since I can't imagine Doomsday will be remotely playable, and that deck needs top just as much as miracles does. Regardless of whether or not miracles is oppressive, it would be a shame to kill (what is in my opinion) the most interesting/challenging deck in magic. A terminus ban seems like it would leave miracles still playable but nowhere near as powerful, but I have full confidence WotC will make the wrong call here. If they do ban a piece of miracles, I'd be interested to see if aggro (particularly goblins) makes any kind of comeback.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Gnumonic posted:

I may actually quit legacy if they ban top, since I can't imagine Doomsday will be remotely playable, and that deck needs top just as much as miracles does. Regardless of whether or not miracles is oppressive, it would be a shame to kill (what is in my opinion) the most interesting/challenging deck in magic. A terminus ban seems like it would leave miracles still playable but nowhere near as powerful, but I have full confidence WotC will make the wrong call here. If they do ban a piece of miracles, I'd be interested to see if aggro (particularly goblins) makes any kind of comeback.

They haven't made the right choice in an eternal format yet so RiP Top! (Barring the extremely obvious, ie Dig and Cruise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I wouldn't quit Legacy if Top were banned, but it would make me very sad since my pet deck not only runs Top itself, but largely lives off of Miracles like a remora clinging to the underbelly of a great white shark. I'm not clamoring for a ban either way but if there has to be one, Terminus is my favorite because it minimizes splash damage to other decks, gives aggro a little more breathing room and might even open up more options for Counterbalance decks. I'd be really disappointed if they banned the most effective colorless (though admittedly only Blue really plays it in practice...) card filtering option.

I think the Top ban is silly in Modern too but that's just because I have a philosophical disagreement with the notion of banning a card because people are bad at using it. Lucky for me, this philosophical disagreement goes unchallenged by actual experience since I don't play Modern anyway :v:

• Locked thread