Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can you discard eggs? I'm at 9/9 and want to make some space for 5/10km eggs without needing to walk several miles beforehand. :(
No discard or transfer for eggs, walk off a 2km to free up a spot.

Rutibex posted:

Are there plans to add an actual Pokemon game to Pokemon GO at some point? You can't trade or battle other people, and the battles are extremely shallow. Who cares about rare pokemon when there are no special moves? It seems like the only thing that matters is level and type.
There are special moves? :confused:

There have been some allusions to trading being added at some point.

But they'll probably add bonuses for eating at McDonald's first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Day 1:

Sat on a stoop in South Philadelphia with four dudes who were taking turns putting down lures while they sold signed certificates for the court confirming you had done X# of hrs of drug rehab counseling for $50 per chit. Made it to level 8, got a pikachu (along with a pile of other random crap), am probably under police surveillance. 4/5 would download again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Only Zapdos can hit both of the other birds for super effective damage. Meanwhile Articuno is the only bird who's weak to both of the others.

Lol a Pokemon's worth is based on appearance not battle ability. That's why Garbador is actually one of the best Pokemon in the whole game

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Rastor posted:

But they'll probably add bonuses for eating at McDonald's first.

My money is on a Verizon Re-Up contact + new phone that unlocks a special Pokemon. Get your new S7 with incredible battery life and destroy gyms with a Zapdos today!*

*Zapdos comes at cp10 and candy is unavailable.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Willsun posted:

People with this are set for life. People in suburbia like me have to make ball runs in Pokestop-dense areas of our town. :(

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have one stop within walking distance of my house, and I'd have to camp there all day to get enough items. But during lunch I drive over and take an hour long walk through one of the densest areas I've seen and nearly max out items every day. It doesn't take much to fill up if you can reach a downtown area every other day, and you'll be able to play in the dead zones without worry.

If there are no PokéStops or Gyms near you, submit a Zendesk ticket:

deathbot posted:

I don't know if someone else linked, but since the discord didn't know: https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=319928 you can submit stops/gyms now.
Enter name, address, GPS coordinates for your proposed stop and choose "No PokéStops or Gyms near me" as the reason.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I can't tell if this game is headed towards heavily commercialized mainstream acceptance with high retention rates or will burn out rapidly in a month.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

logikv9 posted:

I can't tell if this game is headed towards heavily commercialized mainstream acceptance with high retention rates or will burn out rapidly in a month.

People still spend money on candy crush, hope this answers your question

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Rastor posted:

If there are no PokéStops or Gyms near you, submit a Zendesk ticket:

Enter name, address, GPS coordinates for your proposed stop and choose "No PokéStops or Gyms near me" as the reason.

I wonder how strict or loose of a criteria they set for creating new Pokestops and if it even takes a toll on their side at all. I mean, I have one within a slight walking distance too but I can't justify wanting a Pokestop just because I want one I can reach without getting out of my house.

You also have to have a landmark to designate one. How the hell do you do that in suburbia with all cookie-cutter model houses?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Only Zapdos can hit both of the other birds for super effective damage. Meanwhile Articuno is the only bird who's weak to both of the others.

I usually preferred Articuno because it could take down rock, ground and dragon types.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-27.6792742,153.0654197,3a,75y,114.39h,85.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqWdrcku5_6kGPlyoTB7jPg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

For the record, thats the street I was talking about with a car on it shown for scale. It's the only place in the area with pokestops and they are dense

They are that dense. It's not at all dangerous for me to look around and make sure it's clear and stop again when my phone yells at me. Especially when 100% of stops are power poles and I can see the next pole before I even leave the last one.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Holdin it down for team Instinct. Not pictured is the CP37 Magikarp my wife and I trained 20 times to also put into the gym.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Whats the trick to dodging? If i get hit once i get stunlocked and cannot do anything. Though the last time i fought a gym was day 2.

There is no stun locking.

The trick is to dodge right after the yellow flash around the edge of the screen. It has to be a good swipe, if you half rear end it you'll do an attack instead.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

logikv9 posted:

It probably depends on how well the developers can partition the nerds who grind their way to level 1000 from the casual users who just want to catch a pikachu while they take the dog for a walk, while keeping it fun for both.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Willsun posted:

I wonder how strict or loose of a criteria they set for creating new Pokestops and if it even takes a toll on their side at all. I mean, I have one within a slight walking distance too but I can't justify wanting a Pokestop just because I want one I can reach without getting out of my house.

You also have to have a landmark to designate one. How the hell do you do that in suburbia with all cookie-cutter model houses?

Existing examples of landmarks include "a bike rack" and "a rock"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

TheQuietWilds posted:

Day 1:

Sat on a stoop in South Philadelphia with four dudes who were taking turns putting down lures while they sold signed certificates for the court confirming you had done X# of hrs of drug rehab counseling for $50 per chit. Made it to level 8, got a pikachu (along with a pile of other random crap), am probably under police surveillance. 4/5 would download again.

Lol.

This game is going to make so much loving money.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it was coincidence, but I think I exploited some distance-determining a little bit ago. I was at Location A and didn't formally close the program when I left. When I loaded it at nearby Location B, instead of teleporting me to Location B, my avatar ran quickly to B and I immediately got a ran-10k achievement. I didn't mean to cheat, honest!

Related, are people still experiencing the ran-10-miles-for-an-egg-and-the-game-says-I-walked-three-feet issues? I've got a load of 2k eggs and I could knock that out easily, but I'd love if I could just zone out and not constantly babysit the phone.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Also hi what's up, I'm stuck not playing this because I've got a 4S. :suicide:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

meh.com has external batteries if anyone was thinking about picking one up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gay picnic defence posted:

I usually preferred Articuno because it could take down rock, ground and dragon types.

They were all equally inferior to Alakazam with his ungodly speed and special that ensured he could OHKO pretty much anything. Articuno was the only one who had a reasonable chance against Dragonite thanks to Ice Beam though. :argh:

It probably depends on how well the developers can partition the nerds who grind their way to level 1000 from the casual users who just want to catch a pikachu while they take the dog for a walk, while keeping it fun for both.

Trading will go a long way for casual players. Plus even a casual person can grab a team and some items and grind down a gym if they really want to.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yes, but this game needs to hold a large percentage of the current playerbase to continue having the type of cultural phenom success it's having now, and unless the developers have a lot planned fast, the whales (hardcore IAP buyers) will be the only ones playing and this game will become a slightly more active Ingress (or maybe less since there isn't nearly as much to do).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's 729 of the bastards, I'm sure they can stretch out the updates.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Willsun posted:

They're probably as rare as the starter Pokemon but I don't live by the sea or a big body of water, so it might be more common there.

I haven't been to the area I caught it in since I caught it, but I can check since said area was sort of a marina. Would it be better at night or day, y'reckon?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I spent the evening playing PG with the car club. Caught a bunch of junk to ship off. Caught a CP86 Scyther to feed my CP650 one. Shipped it off. Went to my main Scyther, named Bugface. Shipped it off instead of powering up.

Motherfuck I am retarded. :negative:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Expect "enjoys long walks on the beach" to make a resurgence before too long, fellas

fe: also team color to replace zodiac sign

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So as someone who is level 10 with my strongest Pokemon being a 489 Tauros, a 421 Kingler and a 355 Beedrill, is there any reason for me to be bothering with gyms yet? All the gyms by me have people with 1000+ Pokemon in them. If not, what should I be doing?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I push a gym at the park today up to level 10. It was gone in an hour :(

Turns out that having a low CP pokemon that just works well against the first 2-3 pokemon in the gym is a great way to farm prestige. The lowest thing was a 600+ CP rapiddash, followed by an arbok. Anything with ground attacks was amazing and I was getting nearly 1000 rep per pokemon defeated with my tiny ~350 CP sandslash/omanyte.

io_burn posted:

So as someone who is level 10 with my strongest Pokemon being a 489 Tauros, a 421 Kingler and a 355 Beedrill, is there any reason for me to be bothering with gyms yet? All the gyms by me have people with 1000+ Pokemon in them. If not, what should I be doing?

Sure. You get to take 6 pokemon against a rival gym, and you only have to beat one of them in order to remove prestige. It might be a slow and painful process, but you can certainly grind stuff down. Then you just put a dude in the gym and claim your daily reward and don't care if it goes away later because it will.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

What else is there in Ingress that there isn't in this game? I never played it but I was under the impression it didn't have any real gameplay and was mostly just about going to places and claiming them

Was there some actual stuff to do that was more interesting than catching Pokemon or what

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

There's 729 of the bastards, I'm sure they can stretch out the updates.

Only the first couple of generations were any good though, the later ones looked like poo poo and started getting stale.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Only the first couple of generations were any good though, the later ones looked like poo poo and started getting stale.

That said, gimme Sudowoodo already.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kelp Plankton posted:

What else is there in Ingress that there isn't in this game? I never played it but I was under the impression it didn't have any real gameplay and was mostly just about going to places and claiming them

Ingress had you claiming and defending the locations you fought over by adding items (in which physical placement was important) and linking them to other places to strengthen them. Players had to work together to do this effectively, meaning you couldn't just play the game on your own time. More complex than P:G, but in hindsight not fun complexity.

The cynic in me says this means that there's no chance in hell, but the optimist in me says that Niantic has at least somewhat learned from Ingress and they'll do better for it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 14, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Dropped a Lure on the Pokestop in my hotel room and got some cool stuff... A Tangela, Tentacool, 3 Psyducks and like 6 100 plus Doduos.

Party time!!!

[Edit] 7 Doduos!

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Candy crush there's always stuff to do(if you pay the money to get get more replays anyway).

I know it's been said but Pokemon Go is startlingly shallow after the novelty wears off. I know they're planning to add trading but I don't see how that'll help. I think it'll actually hurt because it will rapidly accelerate everyone getting to 100% of available Pokemon collected and once you've done that there's basically no reason to keep playing.

You can do the gyms but they're pretty boring to capture and essentially impossible to hold, and the gym rewards do nothing but make it easier to catch Pokemon via buying stuff with the coins(not that useful if you've already caught most of them) or strengthen your Pokemon to make it easier to capture more gyms(which is pointless if you don't already intrinsically care about gyms).

I think they're going to have to add more generations of Pokemon sooner than later so people don't end up going days between capturing new Pokemon. They'll lose people in droves if people stop capturing new ones because it'll stop being fun.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Not only are the 1% whales going to give Niantic money hand over fist for this game, it has other revenue streams as well:

1) Lucky business owners who have a Pokestop already at their place of business will spend for lures to put on their stop.

2) They've already said they're going to put up Pokestops and Gyms at sponsored locations- there's a McDonald's promotion already in the game file that's been datamined.

That's why you get a form letter when you suggest your local comic book store be a PoI- they're going to charge the business for that poo poo soon.

If you're really in a completely dead zone, there's a "There aren't any pokestops or gyms in my area" choice in that menu on their support site. And if you want to suggest a PoI, make sure it's a church or some sort of art installation (for the loosest possible definition of "art"- there's several stops around town that are just "an ornamental obelisk at a strip mall". Take a flattering picture of it and attach it to your ticket.

Oh, another good PoI: historical markers. I live in a state capital and downtown is lousy with them. Most all of them are Pokestops. Find some of those and submit them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rastor posted:

meh.com has external batteries if anyone was thinking about picking one up.

And ordered. How fast is Meh's shipping?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So that 200+ Tangela I caught. I can power it up but no option for evolving. Why?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Feenix posted:

So that 200+ Tangela I caught. I can power it up but no option for evolving. Why?
Tangrowth isn't in GO yet.

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

Feenix posted:

Tangela has no evolution in the original 151.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

So, I think my local 10 mile radius is severely bugged and its totally sapping the fun out of the game. You can only catch so many rattatas before the game wears thin. I made it to level 14 but still don't have a rattata strong enough to take on a gym. I'm really not happy with the progression of this gym, and so far the best strategy seems to be to hang out in front of the supermarket. Actually going to cool places is pointless because there are less pokemon, and its still just rattatas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, but this game needs to hold a large percentage of the current playerbase to continue having the type of cultural phenom success it's having now, and unless the developers have a lot planned fast, the whales (hardcore IAP buyers) will be the only ones playing and this game will become a slightly more active Ingress (or maybe less since there isn't nearly as much to do).

This will be way always remain more active than Ingress.

I am betting Niantic has moved forward some of their plan update for the reasons you have said. Like they only need to add in trading and that will keep a lot of people captivated for a while who probably would have lost interest.

• Locked thread