Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Bumper stickers on paint: What's the best way to get them off? Careful peeling and Goo Gone? Plastic razor? Heat gun and plastic razor? Something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A warm day and a plastic razor with goo gone for the leftover adhesive

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I've got a nice set, but haven't taken the time to learn. I'm too timid with the metal movement from the inside of the panel to make it work. I know the theory and operation, but it's a fine motor skill that just takes practice. I've been meaning to go to the junkyard to pick up a scrap door to learn on, but haven't gotten around to it. *shrug*

Hey meat, can you link me to the kit you got?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

always be closing posted:

Hey meat, can you link me to the kit you got?

Yeah, I saw you ask about it before... I'm in the process of cleaning out my garage and it's buried in the side. I'm almost there. I'll get a pic soon(tm), I promise!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That's megs leather cleaner worked a treat. Thanks guys.

Anyone got any recommendations for polishing head lights? It's not worth replacing them on a track car but it is worth a couple of hours in an evening to make them look nicer :)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, I saw you ask about it before... I'm in the process of cleaning out my garage and it's buried in the side. I'm almost there. I'll get a pic soon(tm), I promise!

Alright, here it is. Mostly complete, except for the out of date line board. I'm waiting to get a good light source, hopefully then I can make something happen with it.

I bought this kit off of a guy that was getting out of the business. It's pretty rare to find such a big set complete and for sale. If you add up the cost of the tools, there's an easy couple grand here. Now I just need to stop being lazy and learn how to use them. No pictured is a glue puller set, but you get the idea.

Edit: Just got off my rear end and ordered a lighted line board.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 13, 2016

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Wow you ain't kidding, that is a badass set up. What brands are the tools?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bape Culture posted:

That's megs leather cleaner worked a treat. Thanks guys.

Anyone got any recommendations for polishing head lights? It's not worth replacing them on a track car but it is worth a couple of hours in an evening to make them look nicer :)
3000 grit wetsand, 1000 grit wetsend, Meguiar's Plast-X to buff. That's basically what their kit I used consists off, and it does a really good job

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

always be closing posted:

Wow you ain't kidding, that is a badass set up. What brands are the tools?

The bulk of it is from http://www.inventureinc.com/pdr_tools.cfm

It's easy to learn the theory. It's more difficult for me to find the force necessary. I'm used to paint stuff, where force is very important to regulate... and the dent stuff takes more force than I'm comfortable with. So... I just need to spend more time with it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:psyduck: Paintless dent removal is a complete mystery to me. LOOKIT all that stuff! I'da thought y'all'd robbed a dentist with all those picks and pokes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My wife's mom backed into her car door. I tried the whole heat gun/canned air trick, but that only works on a very specific kind of dent. It did improve the dent, but did not fix it completely.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

scuz posted:

:psyduck: Paintless dent removal is a complete mystery to me. LOOKIT all that stuff! I'da thought y'all'd robbed a dentist with all those picks and pokes.
Yeah I was wondering what the hell all that was until I went back to the original posts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Went back a few pages and didn't see this mentioned, but what's the best way to clean the inside of wheel well? IE: A fender liner? I've got years of wheel spray that I would love to remove and see some black if possible. SImple green and a brush?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Went back a few pages and didn't see this mentioned, but what's the best way to clean the inside of wheel well? IE: A fender liner? I've got years of wheel spray that I would love to remove and see some black if possible. SImple green and a brush?

Yep, Simple Green and a stiff brush is best case. If that doesn't get it off, switch to a bug and tar remover and stiff brush. After it's clean, a quick spray with a tire spray (any type really, it's just the fender liners). Makes a big difference, especially on cars where there's enough gap to see them. Plus, the tire spray makes it easy to keep clean, because poo poo doesn't usually stick then.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

Agent 86
Jun 14, 2002

The Rag Company is having a killer deal right now if anybody needs some MF. I added another 5 dry me a river waffles to my collection.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I want to buy a polisher and have read that the Porter Cable DA is the way to go - however, in my part of Europe they don't sell it. Is buying one with the same specs sufficient or is it good because of some other reasons?

Alternatively, can any fellow euros recommend me one?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Grakkus posted:

I want to buy a polisher and have read that the Porter Cable DA is the way to go - however, in my part of Europe they don't sell it. Is buying one with the same specs sufficient or is it good because of some other reasons?

Alternatively, can any fellow euros recommend me one?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/machine-polishers-and-accessories.html

I'm pretty sure this is just a different label on the same thing as a Griot's Garage 6" (2nd gen) and it's very common on the UK boards. http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/kestrel-das6-power-plus-dual-action-machine-polisher-cat10.html

There is/was a Chinese made Rupes style long throw DA out there too that the European retailers were selling before they became more widespread in the US.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Scott808 posted:

There is/was a Chinese made Rupes style long throw DA out there too that the European retailers were selling before they became more widespread in the US.

This might be the one you are talking about? It has the same 21mm throw as the rupes Bigfoot 21

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-HPV-720-Angle-Polisher/18-3597

I have it, and while it has a lot of correction power, it is also pretty tiring to use due to vibrations. I also would prefer a hoop grip over the Rupes style front knob. Pretty good for the price though

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Scott808 posted:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/machine-polishers-and-accessories.html

I'm pretty sure this is just a different label on the same thing as a Griot's Garage 6" (2nd gen) and it's very common on the UK boards. http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/kestrel-das6-power-plus-dual-action-machine-polisher-cat10.html
I have one of these:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/prod_673.html

Seems to work just fine.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Apologies if this has been covered before: My recently acquired 01 BMW had quite the mold infestation due to it sitting here in the lovely forests of the PNW over the corse of two years. I did my normal treatment of a isopropyl rub down and orange/citrus cleaner scrub, but it still smells rather moldy and there are stains on the door cards from the larger colonies. Before I slather the interior with 303, is there anything that will remove the stains? I'm planning on wiping everything down one more time to remove any cleaner residue and I'll test the 303 in a inconspicuous place first.

*For clarity, the mold was not due to a water leak and only appears to have grown on contact surfaces (IE seats, arm rest, steering wheel- no carpet spots I can tell.)

Before:

After:

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 26, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

See previous discussions in this thread about ozone machine. It'll smack the poo poo out of the odor for a surprisingly little amount of money and time.

Edit: Here's a previous bit:

meatpimp posted:

Sorry for the double post, but this is important -- ozone generators kick rear end.

I got the single version of this: http://www.amazon.com/Foreverozone-Shock-Treatment-Ozone-Generator/dp/B007GS3T8O/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2YN5SAZKCBT0L

It's straight ghetto in its build quality, but god drat, it works magic. I went on a camping trip and left a pair of my boy's water shoes, wet with river water, in the trunk for 2 days. poo poo was RANK. I aired out the trunk for a day and that barely touched the stank. I put the ozone generator in for 15 minutes, unplugged it, let it sit for an hour, then opened it to air out.

Smells new in there. Craziness.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 26, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks! I ordered one. I've got a few cars I can try it on.

As far as stains go, I'm going to try another scrub down with simple green. Hopefully it's a bit more aggressive. Otherwise is there a recommended leather/vinyl cleaner?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

the spyder posted:

Thanks! I ordered one. I've got a few cars I can try it on.

As far as stains go, I'm going to try another scrub down with simple green. Hopefully it's a bit more aggressive. Otherwise is there a recommended leather/vinyl cleaner?

Not a lot of time to go into the cleaning stuff right now, but remember to have the car fully closed with the A/C on full fan and recirculating when you use the ozone generator. That gets everything circulated and all the nasties gone.

Look through the last couple weeks of this thread, I think we just had some vinyl/leather cleaning discussions.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Does the ac itself have to be on or just the fan on recirculate?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I gave some purple simple green a try on the steering wheel and it worked great. So well that I decided to try the drivers door card... Two. Two loving towels turned 80% BLACK as it removed what ever the hell coated the leather inserts on the door cards. I almost gagged. There's a receipt for "leather treatment" and I can only imagine someone either 1) Used a dye based conditioner or 2) Never cleaned it properly before application. I can't wait to clean the rest of the car. Bleh.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also not mentioned but important to note:

1) Ozone is dangerous in high concentrations, so make sure to air the car out really well before getting into it after you Ozone it.
2) Ozone kills mold, which is a really REALLY good idea for your car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not so much worried about cleaning, but is there a recommended conditioner or something for older leather? The seats in my 911 are 17 years old and is pretty good shape, but I want to do what I can to keep them that way.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

QuarkMartial posted:

Does the ac itself have to be on or just the fan on recirculate?

Just on recirculate.

ratbert90 posted:

Also not mentioned but important to note:

1) Ozone is dangerous in high concentrations, so make sure to air the car out really well before getting into it after you Ozone it.
2) Ozone kills mold, which is a really REALLY good idea for your car.

Good points. Also, while it is really good for a mold killer, don't leave it running in the car for extended periods, because it can be bad on inferior adhesives, German or otherwise. 15-30 minutes will work wonders.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Just on recirculate.

Good points. Also, while it is really good for a mold killer, don't leave it running in the car for extended periods, because it can be bad on inferior adhesives, German or otherwise. 15-30 minutes will work wonders.

Also a good point. Not just adhesives, but it will start to melt plastic as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

Not so much worried about cleaning, but is there a recommended conditioner or something for older leather? The seats in my 911 are 17 years old and is pretty good shape, but I want to do what I can to keep them that way.
I'm going to once again recommend Gliptone products, with my usual caveat as to them possibly not being available in the US.

Have also used Meguiar's Gold Class and been happy with it.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

slidebite posted:

I am a fan of lexol, its two bottles, a cleaner and a conditioner.
https://www.amazon.ca/Lexol-907-Leather-Care-8-Ounce/dp/B005H7DRQA

or comes in spray bottles too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

blindjoe posted:

I am a fan of lexol, its two bottles, a cleaner and a conditioner.
https://www.amazon.ca/Lexol-907-Leather-Care-8-Ounce/dp/B005H7DRQA

or comes in spray bottles too.

I use these for good cleanings every couple of months and Griot's Leather Care Spray for more regular cleaning when doing my interior.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys :)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So, maybe someone more informed than myself can educate me. I've been reading about 303 Aerospace cleaner, which lead me down the rabbit hole of leather conditioning. As I've come to discover, this is a highly debated topic on a variety of detailing/exotic car foums. The general concensus (and manufacture notes) is that most modern leather is treated/coated and will not absorb standard leather cleaners/conditioners. I have found that it's generally recommended to do a quick test of the leather with water. If it absorbs in and leaves a spot after being wiped off, it's natural leather and should be treated as such with Lexol/ect. If it beads, it's been coated/treated and can be treated with 303 safely. This explains why the last time I tried Lexol, it just left a greasy surface I had to wipe off and appeared to do nothing to the surface. (Minus the cleaning). With this is mind- what is the general concensus? I'm planning on using 303 Aerospace on my 325XI's interor due to it's treated finish and not worry about it. My FD on the other hand uses natural leather and will be treated with Lexol.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
You're going to go even further down the rabbit hole. In e46's there were a couple different options for the seats, so knowing the year/model won't necessarily tell you what you've got. There are several ways to tell the difference, and you'll need to do some googling and find out the method you feel comfortable with. Whether it's testing it with water, or by pressing your fingers into it, by scent, lifting up the shift boot to look at the underside of the surface, etc.

I think your plan of going with the 303 is probably your best bet if you don't want to give yourself an aneurysm.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Not the greatest photo, but what you guys suggested really did the trick! The dash looks good as new now, I need to order some sort of sealer to make sure it stays that way. Even though the car never leaves my garage.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Meatpimp, this is the sketchiest piece of equipment i have ever purposely ordered off Amazon. I'll be amazed if it doesn't randomly burst into flames and performs as advertised. Otherwise, I consider this thing a grade-A death trap. Wish me luck! Giving it a 20min shock tonight just to see what happens. No AC/ect- it's like 12pm.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

the spyder posted:

Meatpimp, this is the sketchiest piece of equipment i have ever purposely ordered off Amazon. I'll be amazed if it doesn't randomly burst into flames and performs as advertised. Otherwise, I consider this thing a grade-A death trap. Wish me luck! Giving it a 20min shock tonight just to see what happens. No AC/ect- it's like 12pm.

Ahem. I think I had that covered in the op:

meatpimp posted:

It's straight ghetto in its build quality, but god drat, it works magic.

Waiting for a trip report. :colbert:

And ooooooh, you got the fancy double. Look at Mr. Moneypants.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

E- Replying to the wrong thread like a boss.