Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bongwizzard posted:

I do two of the fishing lure boxes and while I am always on the verge of quitting them often enough I get something cool that was totally off my radar so I keep subscribed. But, despite there being a million lures out there, I see how eventually I will be too "advanced" for them.

huh I didn't know there was a fishing box service, I could probably get some use out of at least a month or two of that if the price is ok, got a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Cumslut1895 posted:

Personally I subscribe to SkinnerBox. It's really cool, sometimes

SkinnerBox stuff is sometimes good, but sometimes the stuff inside is just trash and I can never rely on them coming on time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TKIY posted:

We get BarkBox and it's actually a good deal. Usually two new dog toys, three or four different bags of treats and one larger treat every month.

Considering how quickly our dogs can destroy any new toy it's been worth it. I don't think we've ever felt disappointed by one.

Aw, that's cute, it's like dog Netflix.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Gumby posted:

SkinnerBox stuff is sometimes good, but sometimes the stuff inside is just trash and I can never rely on them coming on time.

You should get the BetterSkinnerBox, then. It's always something kinda okay but this one time eight years ago it was AMAZING and I'm kinda hoping it eventually gets that good again.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Somfin posted:

You should get the BetterSkinnerBox, then. It's always something kinda okay but this one time eight years ago it was AMAZING and I'm kinda hoping it eventually gets that good again.

WootBoCs.txt

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TKIY posted:

We get BarkBox and it's actually a good deal. Usually two new dog toys, three or four different bags of treats and one larger treat every month.

Considering how quickly our dogs can destroy any new toy it's been worth it. I don't think we've ever felt disappointed by one.

bongwizzard posted:

I do two of the fishing lure boxes and while I am always on the verge of quitting them often enough I get something cool that was totally off my radar so I keep subscribed. But, despite there being a million lures out there, I see how eventually I will be too "advanced" for them.

See, to some degree, I can see merit in specific boxes like this. It's only dog toys and snacks, or only a grab-bag of fishing lures, or something for a specific hobby. Those things are usually at least useful, even if it ends up being something you'd never buy again. The thing with LootCrate is that it's basically just a box of garbage from stuff that you might like, from franchises you might know. Like, having a lure that's a cartoon character or superhero logo might be a bit weird, but at least it's a lure and you'll still get some use out of it. Getting a Funco statuette of a character you don't know or like, or a goddamn bowtie with a character from a niche internet cartoon is just a job now because you either have to find a place to put it, or hope someone buys it on eBay.

I give a bit more of a pass to things like Naturebox and Blue Apron, because at least that stuff is edible, so you're rid of it pretty quick. I just wish they'd stop billing themselves as some sort of exceptionally healthy alternative to the grocery store, is all. At least MunchPak is honest about it being junk food.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I was getting (and enjoying) SkinnerBox for 9 years, but then suddenly we all discovered it was a FAKE SkinnerBox and the real SkinnerBox showed up instead.

We weren't even all the way through our first box before we discovered the new/real SkinnerBox was terrible, so we complained until we got the Fake SkinnerBOx box.

Then we all just pretended like it never happened.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

huh I didn't know there was a fishing box service, I could probably get some use out of at least a month or two of that if the price is ok, got a link?

The two I have are Mystery Tackle Box and Lucky Tackle Box. They both run the range from awesome to meh and iirc both do a deal where the first box is $5. MTB is much easier to cancel then LTB, but both are small companies and have good CS.

My main issue with both is that often most of the value in each box is a crankbait, which I don't really use, so I end up sitting on them for months then selling them all.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I want to see Patrick McManus review a fishing tackle lootbox.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bongwizzard posted:

The two I have are Mystery Tackle Box and Lucky Tackle Box. They both run the range from awesome to meh and iirc both do a deal where the first box is $5. MTB is much easier to cancel then LTB, but both are small companies and have good CS.

My main issue with both is that often most of the value in each box is a crankbait, which I don't really use, so I end up sitting on them for months then selling them all.

Nice. See this is what I think these boxes should be for, dumb specialty stuff like this. The broad 'geek culture' and 'snack' stuff always seems to suffer from the whole 'jack of all trades master of none' thing.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
This lootcrate poo poo pisses me off because I'm a massive video game nerd and even the items that include references to things I like tend to repulse me.

I don't want cheap lovely gaudy bowties about Zelda or whatever. I may be a nerd that likes dumb things but I'm going to dress like a goddamn normal human being. It's like you get a grab bag of lovely thrift store toys for 3000% markup.

Also, anyone that actually likes those awful funkopop figurines must have brain damage or something. There is literally nothing appealing about those ugly, dreadful things.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

How Rude posted:

Also, anyone that actually likes those awful funkopop figurines must have brain damage or something. There is literally nothing appealing about those ugly, dreadful things.

It really is a case of the more you've seen of them the less appealing they get. It feels weird to say this about a piece of merch, but there's no heart in their creation

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mierenneuker posted:

It really is a case of the more you've seen of them the less appealing they get. It feels weird to say this about a piece of merch, but there's no heart in their creation

Yea I got a couple way back when they were novel and it was cute but now that I've seen them everywhere possible they're just a generic blob of exact same figures

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

How Rude posted:

It's like you get a grab bag of lovely thrift store toys for 3000% markup.
BRB, starting a garbage box business.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Are Dorbz the same as the Pop figurines? They look really similar. I got a friend one of a Dalek as a nerdy gift a while back since she loves doctor who, but at least that one isn't the same exact shape as every other figure.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Clearly all the different "loot" boxes don't fail at marketing, since a shitload of goons ITT seem to have fallen for them.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

mmm piss stained, mouldy carpet

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
How is it that any rational person ever thought that things like carpet and wallpaper made sense in a bathroom?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah my parents got wallpaper for their bathroom and it didn't take long to go mouldy and curl around the edges. It also doesn't help that the tiles were too close together so the mortar is failing to hold and the tiles keep falling off. It's like Silent Hill in there.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Nobody posted it yet but here's the mystery box SA mart thread, still amazing reading it back

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338464&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

e: im dumb

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I grew up in a house with carpeted bathrooms. It was like that when we moved in, and one of the bathrooms definitely had this hideous orange/yellow/black carpeting which was probably specifically chosen to hide piss.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably was white when it was put in.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I'm pretty sure it was a status thing. You go from where carpets were expensive hand made things you might have in one room covering part of the floor, to well made and inexpensive enough to put in wall to wall, to inexpensive enough to put everywhere so you did it to show off. Sort of like how aspic/jello salads let you show off that you were able to afford a refrigerator, even if a lot of them were gross in retrospect.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

My Lovely Horse posted:

Probably was white when it was put in.

If you're a man, even when you are a careful, there will be times a drop of urine will fall to the floor below. Now multiply that for several years. So loving disgusting.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

A neighbours house where I used to live had this hideous shag carpeting everywhere (yes, including the bathroom) and our cat regularly managed to get into their house after which we got annoyed phone calls that she was tearing up their carpet.

Good cat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sedge and Bee posted:

Are Dorbz the same as the Pop figurines? They look really similar. I got a friend one of a Dalek as a nerdy gift a while back since she loves doctor who, but at least that one isn't the same exact shape as every other figure.

Dorbz aren't the same as the Pop! figures, but incredibly they're both made by the same company. I assumed they were competing brands of vinyl pop icon dolls, but no; its the same company marketing two different lines of vinyl figures. Holy poo poo.

The Dorbz are all the same kinda rounded matroshka doll style, while the pop figures all have the same oversized square heads. Its bizarre.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I think Dorbz would be more interesting if they were actual matryoshka dolls of the series they were representing. Like, a Link that has progressively older representations of himself until it's just a small, blocky rendering of the NES version. As it is, though, they're just more generic poo poo that I don't understand for people outside of, like, middle school/early high school.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Taking a risk here posting an actual marketing fail rather than more BoxTalk:

The University of North Texas didn't think this one through

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wylie posted:

:golfclap:

That did take me a minute

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Zubat used Pussy Pump!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Geokinesis posted:

Zubat used Pussy Pump!

Is "Brands posting about Pokémon Go" going to be the new "Brands saying bae"?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
when bae needs her pussy pumped

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

tfw bae's zubat needs her pussy pumped

:barf:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Wylie posted:

Their student radio station used to be KUNT until they changed it to KNTU 10-15 years ago

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Wylie posted:

I need this mug. I'll put it on my desk on Thursdays. That's the day when we promote colleges.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

blugu64 posted:

Their student radio station used to be KUNT until they changed it to KNTU 10-15 years ago

I miss the weekly show that was just this on loop.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

DOSE - One half teaspoonful three times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

You Are A Elf posted:

DOSE - One half teaspoonful three times a day.

I like the terrifyingly vague "skillfully combined with a number of other ingredients". I suppose the rest of it probably can't be worse than loving chloroform and morphine, though.