Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

they're not formally tasked for that anymore but there's still an AF rescue unit sitting at BAF, they're officially there for CSAR but they've been doing some MEDEVAC stuff as well (one of their birds went down during an attempt to rescue guys during that poo poo-show in Marja in January)

I got to listen to one of the guys who was in that unit while all the crazy poo poo was happening about 5-10 years ago, great stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

iyaayas01 posted:

they're not formally tasked for that anymore but there's still an AF rescue unit sitting at BAF, they're officially there for CSAR but they've been doing some MEDEVAC stuff as well (one of their birds went down during an attempt to rescue guys during that poo poo-show in Marja in January)

I know that. Hence, "until recently." :airquote:

Edit: yeah I vaguely remember that now. That's doing the mission CSAR was slated for in Iraq back in the day.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 13, 2016

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I've always found AF and Army SF dudes to always be really laid back. They kind of remind me of guard aircrew, except in way better shape.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Its hit and miss with both the AF and Army SO.

Really its no different than the collective military. You have those moto bullshit motherfuckers and the ones who just want to do their time, get out and let the VA kill them. The ratio is about the same among SO as it is with the rest of the military.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

I'm not sure exactly how they're tasked, but they are most certainly still engaged downrange.

And yeah, it's interesting to think about PJs...you've basically got serious special forces physical training, then combat training, and then you've got fairly advanced emergency medical training to get through.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

I'm not sure exactly how they're tasked, but they are most certainly still engaged downrange.

And yeah, it's interesting to think about PJs...you've basically got serious special forces physical training, then combat training, and then you've got fairly advanced emergency medical training to get through.

PJs exist to make corpsmen and medics finally shut the gently caress up about how hard their jobs are

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The PJ trainees I met were all rowdy racist shitheads but knowing that they probably all washed out makes me feel better about the whole thing

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
YA DONT SEE ANY BLACKS IN THE PJS, DO YA

sg54
May 9, 2012

Buca di Bepis posted:

The PJ trainees I met were all rowdy racist shitheads but knowing that they probably all washed out makes me feel better about the whole thing

Too many of the trainees I've come across attending the dive school could pass for skinheads :(

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Has anybody ever gotten weird back problems? A year ago, my husband somehow hosed up his back bending over the dishwasher and had to lie on the floor for a while and then it happened again today while putting on his boots. He's overseas so I don't have the full story. All I know is they gave him some sort of shot so he's not in pain, but he's waiting to see a flight doctor. He's only 37 so I'm trying to figure WTF is up with that. Like maybe it's from the goofy PT stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

samizdat posted:

Like maybe it's from the goofy PT stuff.

it's at least a 80% chance

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

it's at least a 80% chance

Probably wildly underestimating, honestly.

From a handful of words of a second-hand account of symptoms, I'm going to go with "muscle spasms" and "toradol" for Medic Bingo. Could be nothing, could be something. I know from firsthand account that the only thing more helplessly terrifying than a sudden and debilitating lumbar spasm is an actual honest-to-ghost disc herniation, but that's the kind of poo poo you know exactly what it is when it happens and a trigger point injection with toradol won't do ssshhiiiiit for you.

EDIT: For what it's worth, muscle spasms are the reason I've got a little stockpile of muscle relaxants squirreled away. Do some dumb poo poo and feel like you got stabbed in the back then go home, pop a couple and pass out, wake up the next day with even odds that you feel right as rain or at least significantly better even if it's a bad one.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 14, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I get that too. Hurts so bad I can barely breathe, and it feels like muscles in my mid back are being ripped out with a steel tine rake. It basically puts me in a wheel chair.

Toradol shot in the rear end does it for me, but I also do stretching regiments that help prevent them

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
So there's a rumor going around that 16E6 release is slated for 21 July and people on reddit argued a bit about its validity.

They typically release promotion results on Thursdays.

The results will be released in July per AFPC.

There's 2 Thursdays left in the month.

...that's not a rumor, idiots. That's a coin flip.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

some people in the Air Force have nothing else to do besides talk about promotion reports

They're the smart ones, because they understand that job performance and accomplishing missions is not in any way related to progressing in the Air Force.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

whatspeakyou posted:

So there's a rumor going around that 16E6 release is slated for 21 July and people on reddit argued a bit about its validity.

They typically release promotion results on Thursdays.

The results will be released in July per AFPC.

There's 2 Thursdays left in the month.

...that's not a rumor, idiots. That's a coin flip.

Stop looking at reddit

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

lite_sleepr posted:

Stop looking at reddit

Yes, dad.

So I was reading a thing on Air University about Air Advisors. How do people even get picked up for such things?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

whatspeakyou posted:

Yes, dad.

So I was reading a thing on Air University about Air Advisors. How do people even get picked up for such things?

They need to fill a certain AFSC and someone get's non-vol'd for 6 months to a year. Everyone I've ever met who has done it had hated it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

whatspeakyou posted:

Yes, dad.

Hey I can stop lurking and contribute something.

I was a c-130 Loadmaster advisor to the Afghan Air Force, which really cemented me getting out. Almost everyone, especially the 365 guys were non vol'd. My personal experience was "we just found out this needs a name by lunch and uh, you don't have a family to leave at Christmas so..." So I "volunteered" so at least I could act like I had some agency. There were a couple weirdos who volunteered for career reasons but yeah ,almost everyone hated it. Feel free to ask if anyone has more questions. It was a pretty tremendous poo poo show.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Afghans barely have A28s or whatever is at Moody. Why would we advise them on the intricacies of air lift? Did you do anything remotely related to load master?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Because they (the loadmasters. Pilots and FEs were mostly good with English) can't read or write English they can't pass any English tests that would enable them to go to Little Rock for any semblance of real training, so all the training was in house. From what I understand at the start American crews were mostly doing their missions with a lot of hand holding. When I got there, the compromise was the loadmasters had just been "qualified" on carrying passengers with a baggage pallet. When I left we had "qualified" them on moving vehicles. There is some need to move people around the country, but it's mostly friends and family and getting some army dudes to and from Kabul to actually participate in the army.

The reason I use scare quotes is because there's not a ton of rules and regulations and people would switch between USAF AFIs and Afghan ones if it was convenient for their point or to make things easier.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
AFPC confirmed 21 Jul TSgt release date with a 22.35% selection rate. I bet Reddit is saying I told you so.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

There were a couple weirdos who volunteered for career reasons

and then got RIF'd when they got back

edit: for everyone else, that's not a joke or hot take, it literally happened

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yep. That kind of stuff doesn't count as career progression so you're immediately behind your peers.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

Afghans barely have A28s or whatever is at Moody. Why would we advise them on the intricacies of air lift? Did you do anything remotely related to load master?

They have C-130's. Old as loving dirt shitboxes, but they have them.

We used to get that "suddenly we need six names by lunch from your squadron for Mi-17 air advisor duty" bullshit. It didn't really stop when everyone either volunteered to be a schoolhouse instructor or got out. All but one that I know of were 365's. The one guy who did a 179 lucked the gently caress out, and then got out.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I'm so glad I went guard, because all of this officer career advancement stuff makes no sense. I should be able to at least hit Major by the time I'm eligible for retirement in 13 years of one weekend a month without doing anything more than the distance SOS course. gently caress active duty.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Yeah that program seemed so poorly managed even at my very low level. I was pretty sure I was gonna get out after that deployment but the thought of being stuck on H models and having to do it again was enough for me to hit the button as immediately as I could.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Consummate Professional posted:

Yeah that program seemed so poorly managed even at my very low level. I was pretty sure I was gonna get out after that deployment but the thought of being stuck on H models and having to do it again was enough for me to hit the button as immediately as I could.

They're tagging the reserves for it now, too. I know an H3 load who's over there doing this as we speak. He's pissed because he loses out on a poo poo ton of money from his real job.

I know at least 3 or 4 reservists who quit or dropped retirement paperwork when they got tasked (or at least they threatened to).

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

EDIT: For what it's worth, muscle spasms are the reason I've got a little stockpile of muscle relaxants squirreled away. Do some dumb poo poo and feel like you got stabbed in the back then go home, pop a couple and pass out, wake up the next day with even odds that you feel right as rain or at least significantly better even if it's a bad one.

are you my wife? Because this describes her to a T. Also it's mostly from stupid PT related bullshit.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

They have C-130's. Old as loving dirt shitboxes, but they have them.

Pretend I posted a story here about how as our first option we bought some even older ex-ItAF G-222s (basically C-27A's) for them that were basically not airworthy. After expending a shitload of effort to barely get them airworthy, some general announced that the US was "turning over" the airplanes to the Afghans; this caused a poo poo-storm because the EUC provided to the Italian govt when we gave them the check stipulated the US as the end-user. The Italian govt (who provided forces to ISAF and continues to contribute forces to RSM) has an arms embargo on the Afghan govt. So upon hearing that we intended to formally turn them over to the Afghans, they put the kibosh on any further shipments of spare parts/support equipment to Afghanistan. This caused a further problem because the contracting vehicle that funded this whole effort had statutory language that required any equipment bought under that contract to eventually be turned over to the Afghan govt. After over a year of loving around with this contractual dilemma we finally said they'd be US "owned" assets "operated" by the Afghans. This got the Italian govt to unbunch their panties, but by this time the initial log support contract with Alenia had ran out, so the US had to rebid. This time Alenia wised up...they still controlled the type certificate for the G-222 so they basically monopolized the entire supply chain and drove the price for everything through the roof. Throughout this whole process the fleet was never running more than a single digit MC rate and was completely grounded (effectively 0% MC) for months at a time.

So after almost 5 years and $486M worth of effort and money, we said gently caress it, scrapped the whole fleet in place at Kabul for literally fractions of pennies on the dollar ($32,000 for all 16), and gave them the aforementioned old as gently caress shitbox -H models (which we pulled from the boneyard).

Also I'll pile on and add to the "everyone hates air advising, it sucks" chorus. I've known a couple mx guys who got tagged for it and couldn't get out for various reasons, none of them enjoyed it.

So I medically inprocessed today, does anyone else have to deal with this AF Med Card bullshit? It's literally a slip of paper on which you're required to write a bunch of poo poo that should already be in your medical records (immunization history, medications, etc), and then you're required to produce it anytime you deal with medical. They also have an app....it a) doesn't work, and b) is not (I think) protected by encryption, which would make it a walking HIPAA violation. I was griping about how stupid this was loudly and profanely during the brief...the TSgt giving the brief basically said it was some bullshit the MDG leadership was pushing and that she agreed it was idiotic. At least someone in the MDG got an OPR bullet out of it.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Can we give them our C-5s? At least the A models that I now have to deal with again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You could fit a lot of little boys in a C5.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
No need, vodka burning Il-76s fill that role just fine.

That was the weekly opium/money run aircraft of choice at KAF

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

You could fit a lot of little boys in a C5.

The measurement is a 'Sandusky'

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

go3 posted:

The measurement is a 'Sandusky'

The rest of the world uses the metric system.

So I think it's 3.2 Sanduskies to a Choir Trip

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

No need, vodka burning Il-76s fill that role just fine.

That was the weekly opium/money run aircraft of choice at KAF

The coolest thing at KAF was this bad Larry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-26

Watching that takeoff and land was interesting.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

The coolest thing at KAF was this bad Larry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-26

Watching that takeoff and land was interesting.

Yeah those were pretty cool, it wasn't based out of there full-time when I was there but one stopped through a couple times. The NASA WB-57 was also real interesting to watch, probably the only thing that made as much noise as the vodka burner.

e: the Brit Tornadoes were also up there in the noise department, but they weren't nearly as cool to gawk at (still pretty cool though)

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah those were pretty cool, it wasn't based out of there full-time when I was there but one stopped through a couple times. The NASA WB-57 was also real interesting to watch, probably the only thing that made as much noise as the vodka burner.

e: the Brit Tornadoes were also up there in the noise department, but they weren't nearly as cool to gawk at (still pretty cool though)

The Mi-26 was there full time when I was there. I'd seen the WB-57 at Nellis before, but it was a seriously interesting piece of machinery.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ckwiesr posted:

Can we give them our C-5s? At least the A models that I now have to deal with again.

I was going to say something about how they were mostly upgraded but not retired, but gently caress there's a lot of them in the boneyard. Nevermind.

Anyway if we couldn't keep them running reliably how the hell are the Iraqis going to?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Anyway if we couldn't keep them running reliably how the hell are the Iraqis going to?

Who gives a poo poo?

They're getting modded anyways. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Iyaayas is totally right and its pretty much FWA personified. That c-27 program was criminal imo. I wish I had the fire and hate to drunk post like I was drunk complaining when I got home from that deployment. (Don't do summer school)
Edit: actually I'm glad I'm not that mad anymore. Life owns and lol if you're still in. Cheers

limp dick calvin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 15, 2016

• Locked thread