Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Chichevache posted:

A minority white population didn't keep slaves by using a firm voice and snapping their fingers. They used guns.

And knives.

Spartans romans a billion different kinds of syrian and if you believe the torah egypt did just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It particularly annoys me when a Brits get all smug about how they're enlightened beyond owning guns, when instead it's just hoarding a monopoly of force to keep the proles under their thumb (Northern Ireland appears to have found a lot of loopholes).
Northern Ireland retains its own system that is actually even more about maintaining a monopoly of force for ex-policemen and so on but it's nice that you think it's about democracy (it's also the only part of the UK where the police carry guns outside of very specific times, because of completely unfounded paranoia about paramilitaries that arming the RUC didn't even help anyway).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hemophilia posted:

Spartans romans a billion different kinds of syrian and if you believe the torah egypt did just fine

I remember exactly what the Spartans did to all the helots they gave weapons to.

And comparing Roman slavery to America's racial slavery is pretty anachronistic.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I know the social differences of chattel slavery vs indentured servitude vs roman slavery but you're pursuing a retarded defenseless point in that guns don't enable slavery any more than another show of force.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

RobattoJesus posted:

That all sounds pretty logical and good to me. Maybe I'm brainwashed and/or retarded.

yeah youre retarded
he sounds like an autist which is fitting cause he has the hair of one, what can be identified in the retard autist handbook as hair style 53

im not being sarcastic i hate him and he should be removed from the public eye

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

has the br exited yet

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what exactly is br in, that it wants to exit from

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

angela eagle looks like boris's brother

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
The king is dead, long live the king!

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

the kings got a vagina so she must be good and right thinking, in this year of our lord, whatever it is etc

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Bullshit, slowly banning guns in the UK wasn't some postwar pacifist schtick, it's because the powers that be were petrified of Bolshevism and class revolt so wanted to keep gun in the hands of wealthy foxhunters instead of grungy Welsh coal miners that might suddenly realize they were getting dicked over by The Man.

Gun control in Britain initially had nothing to do with lovey-dovey humanitarian values and a lot more to do with keeping the rabble in line, particularly after seeing popular uprisings elsewhere in Europe. It particularly annoys me when a Brits get all smug about how they're enlightened beyond owning guns, when instead it's just hoarding a monopoly of force to keep the proles under their thumb (Northern Ireland appears to have found a lot of loopholes).

Jesus ! And nobody is killing these guys now ? You see some fart who calls himself a Lord in 2016 and nobody in Britain has the balls to end them ?? Somebody, another human being, is telling you they're more special than you because of the vagina they slithered through and people are OK with it :wtc:

I'm not a communist at all but what the bolsheviks and the french did seems like the moral & right thing to do. I can't imagine how anyone could even find an argument against it ?

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Decebal posted:

Jesus ! And nobody is killing these guys now ? You see some fart who calls himself a Lord in 2016 and nobody in Britain has the balls to end them ?? Somebody, another human being, is telling you they're more special than you because of the vagina they slithered through and people are OK with it :wtc:

I'm not a communist at all but what the bolsheviks and the french did seems like the moral & right thing to do. I can't imagine how anyone could even find an argument against it ?

get this, there's this thing over here called lease-hold, which is like most of the flats you can buy in the city of london for example, and in 70 years or so its up and the property goes back to the original owner. ... whose g.g-dad was probably the owner of some land after he cut off some guys head on his horse, and produced the money for the property that will stay forever in their dainty hands. You buy something and cant even pass it down to anyone, thats not possession ffs

They were probably right about not allowing guns, cause who would put up with stupid ideas like that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StarMinstrel posted:

You know what sucks about the Queen? It's having her as your head of state when she's not even living in it.

Which makes me wonder: does UK's royalty automatically get citizenship for all the commonwealth nations?

shes not a citizen, citizens are equals. shes the monarch.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
It even stranger that there were to attempts on the Monarch's life. Except for Charles I who was condemned, but that's not the same. At least in the US we offed some of our Presidents so they have a healthy fear of the populace.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

I know the social differences of chattel slavery vs indentured servitude vs roman slavery but you're pursuing a retarded defenseless point in that guns don't enable slavery any more than another show of force.

nah hes right to a degree. for hundreds of years the white man was only able to raid/trade in africa for slaves. but once the repreting rifle and maxim gun were invented the africans couldn't resist direct conquest any more.

of course they didn't call them slaves, that was unfashionable by the time. but every colonial subject was basically a slave and made to do forced labor if they dont pay their "taxes"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Decebal posted:

It even stranger that there were to attempts on the Monarch's life. Except for Charles I who was condemned, but that's not the same. At least in the US we offed some of our Presidents so they have a healthy fear of the populace.

after Charles I it didnt really matter if the monarch was killed, all monarchs knew their place and did what the parliament wanted. one monarch tried after Charles to just be catholic and they basically fired him

George I liked to complain that he felt like a prisoner in his castle, they wouldn't even let him move around without parliamentary permission

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 14, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hemophilia posted:

I disagree, friend. A vast minority can't enslave an armed population.

Have a great day, though!

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Rutibex posted:

nah hes right to a degree. for hundreds of years the white man was only able to raid/trade in africa for slaves. but once the repreting rifle and maxim gun were invented the africans couldn't resist direct conquest any more.

of course they didn't call them slaves, that was unfashionable by the time. but every colonial subject was basically a slave and made to do forced labor if they dont pay their "taxes"

Why didn't they develop guns to protect themselves ? All populations had the same head-start so if you get left behind it's your own fault. You have ownership of something only if you have the power to defend it.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A vast minority can't enslave an armed population.

* gets turned into red mist by a machine 10 miles away

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Bullshit, slowly banning guns in the UK wasn't some postwar pacifist schtick, it's because the powers that be were petrified of Bolshevism and class revolt so wanted to keep gun in the hands of wealthy foxhunters instead of grungy Welsh coal miners that might suddenly realize they were getting dicked over by The Man.

Gun control in Britain initially had nothing to do with lovey-dovey humanitarian values and a lot more to do with keeping the rabble in line, particularly after seeing popular uprisings elsewhere in Europe. It particularly annoys me when a Brits get all smug about how they're enlightened beyond owning guns, when instead it's just hoarding a monopoly of force to keep the proles under their thumb (Northern Ireland appears to have found a lot of loopholes).

Quoting a good & correct post

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StarMinstrel posted:

You know what sucks about the Queen? It's having her as your head of state when she's not even living in it.

Which makes me wonder: does UK's royalty automatically get citizenship for all the commonwealth nations?

Yes, since the power to issue citizenships and passports is derived from her.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
If you don't have a direct line to Alfred the Great or William I you have no right to rule Britain.

There should be a lawsuit to make the Queen abdicate if she can't prove direct descent.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

unpacked robinhood posted:

not that I'm advocating armed insurrection against the government but all of the military's fancy toys for turning someone into mist while the actual pilot sips coffee at his desk kind of rely on actually knowing who you need to mist and where they are

i mean they had them when they tried to pacify the middle east and it didn't really work, at all, and that was in a place where they didn't give a poo poo about collateral damage. they have to use them more conservatively on their home turf against people mixed in with their own loyal citizens. if you gently caress up on your home turf you're not vaporizing some random foreign that your soldiers don't care about, and randomly evaporating the innocent countrymen of your soldiers is eventually going to have a negative effect on their loyalty. I mean yeah typically the army goes with whoever pays them but that only works up until a certain point(especially if you don't have any money left to pay them because most of your country has descended into rebellion and anarchy).

of course it doesn't even loving matter in this scenario if the general populace has guns or not, because they wouldn't be using them much anyway since getting into a gunfight with the army is a great way to show them exactly who they need to vaporize and it's much more effective to just build big bombs in your garage and bury them next to the road

having guns is nice but in terms of actually keeping the government in check free speech and free press are vastly more important because it's much easier for the government to just not tell anyone about all the hosed up poo poo they do that might make people want to rebel than it is for them to actually put down rebellions

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Decebal posted:

Why didn't they develop guns to protect themselves ? All populations had the same head-start so if you get left behind it's your own fault. You have ownership of something only if you have the power to defend it.

they did? you notice how the British empire doesn't contain half of Africa any more?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thats because we don't want it anymore

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

unpacked robinhood posted:

It's really important I am allowed to have my assault rifle, it keeps the government aware that we the citizens simply can't be

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The american military is so famous at handling insurgent guerillas that we have 50 solid years of smashing insurgencies every where we have invaded.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk & Ugly posted:

get this, there's this thing over here called lease-hold, which is like most of the flats you can buy in the city of london for example, and in 70 years or so its up and the property goes back to the original owner. ... whose g.g-dad was probably the owner of some land after he cut off some guys head on his horse, and produced the money for the property that will stay forever in their dainty hands

you know this is kinda like reading /r/relationships where I go 'jesus christ have some loving self respect man' but on a nation-state level

the gently caress is wrong with you people over there why is that even still a thing that exists?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

plain blue jacket posted:

It's really important I am allowed to have my assault rifle, it keeps the government aware that we the citizens simply can't be

hemophilia posted:

The american military is so famous at handling insurgent guerillas that we have 50 solid years of smashing insurgencies every where we have invaded.

Yeah we're real good at killing traditional style armies but lol if you think the US military is going to be competently putting down a US revolt

for that matter lol if you think the military would just be 100% on board with red misting US civilians and that there wouldn't be split factions in the military itself. when the French Revolution was happening the military mostly sat back and waited to see what would happen. Hell half the French Guard in the city sided with the revolutionaries when they stormed the Bastille.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 14, 2016

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

plain blue jacket posted:

citizen-owned rifles aren't for defeating the military in a toe-to-toe conflict they are for making wealthy people feel less safe

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

for that matter lol if you think the military would just be 100% on board with red misting US civilians and that there wouldn't be split factions in the military itself. when the French Revolution was happening the military mostly sat back and waited to see what would happen

actually they would, some single-digit percentage of the military would refuse but overwhelmingly they are programmed to follow orders and never question them.

and it's not like they would be ordered "go shoot crying civilians" it would be framed like they were fighting terrorists or whatever

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Moridin920 posted:

you know this is kinda like reading /r/relationships where I go 'jesus christ have some loving self respect man' but on a nation-state level

the gently caress is wrong with you people over there why is that even still a thing that exists?

it's a grim and shithouse thing but as far as I can tell it's mostly a thing that happens in london . a freeholder owns an apartment building and the leaseholders have a long term lease on the flats inside. In theory the freeholder owns the whole building and undertakes repairs on communal areas and the building structure itself. In practice you pay the same amount as you would to own a place but you're still beholden to some petty slumlord. The only consolation that your hundreds of thousands of pounds buys you is they can't summarily evict you for missing rent payments (though if you miss the "ground rent" you're still hosed)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

actually they would, some single-digit percentage of the military would refuse

Idk I seriously doubt that

City of Tampa posted:

they are programmed to follow orders and never question them.

Most servicemen I've talked to would disagree with you there

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

Idk I seriously doubt that

Most servicemen I've talked to would disagree with you there

well yeah they aren't self-aware because then it wouldn't work

but if they were told that you were a target for X made-up reason they would still shoot you without questioning it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i'm glad that servicemen won't kill any americans, that's why the branch davidians are still around

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean sure if it was localized but at some point I feel like the Navy isn't going to be doing strafing runs in downtown San Diego while a quarter of the population is revolting in the streets.

corn in the bible posted:

i'm glad that servicemen won't kill any americans, that's why the branch davidians are still around

see you guys always do this and give me examples of americans who have been killed. it's not the same man I'm talking about an actual revolt where 20-25% of the population is in the streets. it'd be more accurate to compare it to widespread race riots in the 90s than 1 instance where citizens were killed by authorities.

just look at history, domestic armies are not super gung ho going to slaughter their own people. maybe at first but they quickly splinter into factions and infighting. that's why the romans used legions non-native to the province that they needed to suppress. They didn't send Iberians to put down Iberians, they sent Greeks or whatever.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 14, 2016

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

City of Tampa posted:

well yeah they aren't self-aware because then it wouldn't work

but if they were told that you were a target for X made-up reason they would still shoot you without questioning it

there are always going to be guys in the military that just don't question poo poo because that's just a personality type that exists everywhere

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
the whole "yeah we can't kill insurgents" argument is total bullshit because the average american has nothing on a Vietnamese peasant or Afghani who has to survive on fuckall deals with danger every day. Don't give yourselves that much credit.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Moridin920 posted:

I mean sure if it was localized but at some point I feel like the Navy isn't going to be doing strafing runs in downtown San Diego while a quarter of the population is revolting in the streets.

see you guys always do this and give me examples of americans who have been killed. it's not the same man I'm talking about an actual revolt where 20-25% of the population is in the streets. it'd be more accurate to compare it to widespread race riots in the 90s than 1 instance where citizens were killed by authorities.

just look at history, domestic armies are not super gung ho going to slaughter their own people. maybe at first but they quickly splinter into factions and infighting. that's why the romans used legions non-native to the province that they needed to suppress. They didn't send Iberians to put down Iberians, they sent Greeks or whatever.

Yeah, this is sort of the point. You'll do more for a revolt by being able to frame and push a narrative with social media then you ever would with small arms ownership. Your hunting rifle isn't going to be doing much good against drones and tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the average fat schlub isn't going to be revolting anyway. typically only 20-30% of the population needs to be pissed to make a revolt happen.

• Locked thread