Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Janeway's Delta Federation would go to war with the Alpha Quadrant Federation the first moment they bumped into one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Probably because Janeway and the Borg Queen always seemed like they'd les out the second they were left alone. Probably change the cubes into sensible space station wagons.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

If Janeway had started conquering the DQ, the Federation would've ended up encountering a wildly inconsistent and erratic government. Or even better the Federation would've ended up being greeted as liberators. Rose petals and sweets would've been replicated all over the quadrant.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Janeway would have hosed it up somehow. The only time she was ever consistent and competent was when she was portrayed as a ruthless mercenary in that lone episode.

Meanwhile, 'Equinox' is another example of a more interesting ship, crew, everything, that the show should have focused on. Chakotay should have taken his Maquis people and jumped ship while he had the chance, aka when Janeway confined him to quarters after he saved a man she almost ruthlessly murdered in a quest for superficial vengeance.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I don't know how you people keep defending Tuvix's right to live. The lives of two vibrant, unique people were lost and if that tragedy could be undone at the expense of one bland amalgam of the two who had only been alive a few days, then you bet it was the right choice.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also how did the transporter merge Tuvok's Starfleet uniform with Neelix's crazy robe thing into a new and unique print and fabric? Shouldn't it have just been a dull brown loose catsuit?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I hope you're all doing your homework and watch Married with Children. It's easy to forget that Kelly wasn't really dumb or slutty for a while here in the beginning. It's sort of crazy seeing your much they skanked her up before she got 90's hair and started dressing like the Friends.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Every time Tuvix comes up I keep thinking of that TNG episode where Riker gets cloned by the transporter and I wonder why they just couldn't have done something similar.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Automatic Slim posted:

If Janeway had started conquering the DQ, the Federation would've ended up encountering a wildly inconsistent and erratic government. Or even better the Federation would've ended up being greeted as liberators. Rose petals and sweets would've been replicated all over the quadrant.

Why would they want to conquer Dairy Queen? I figure replicators could just make a Blizzard.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Every time Tuvix comes up I keep thinking of that TNG episode where Riker gets cloned by the transporter and I wonder why they just couldn't have done something similar.

Or the episode where Picard and Guinan and Ro got turned into their child selves. He coulda made Kes even younger every time he got her all stretched out.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They should have had inserts that shot out transporter molecules like that tighten-up pussy cream they sell at the dildo stores.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think she was always dumb and slutty, they just cranked it to 11 at the point they started going surreal.

Like, this is a girl who in the early years had no idea how to make Jello - even having trouble opening the box and was slitting her diapers to show more leg as a toddler.

Also on the topic of Kelly I'm suddenly remembering the Milla Jovovich episode and the one with the lesbian pedo cheerleading coach. And Matt LeBlanc playing a prototype Joey.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Get your bitch spunk drunk.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think she was always dumb and slutty, they just cranked it to 11 at the point they started going surreal.

Like, this is a girl who in the early years had no idea how to make Jello - even having trouble opening the box and was slitting her diapers to show more leg as a toddler.

Also on the topic of Kelly I'm suddenly remembering the Milla Jovovich episode and the one with the lesbian pedo cheerleading coach. And Matt LeBlanc playing a prototype Joey.

That was in the worst, the attempted Friends ripoff spinoff about him and his roommate and I think his girlfriend was the blond sister from Charles in Charge who didn't look like Bigfoot. There was another attempted spinoff episode about a guy and his dad trying to scam their way into high society. Our maybe I'm confusing the plots, but I'm sure there are 2 of them.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Also how did the transporter merge Tuvok's Starfleet uniform with Neelix's crazy robe thing into a new and unique print and fabric? Shouldn't it have just been a dull brown loose catsuit?

Transporter accident episodes have always been stupid in Star Trek ( except Mirror, Mirror). TMP is the only movie/episode that got things right. Having people horrible melt and reassemble into abominations when their matter streams are corrupted.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

criscodisco posted:

Or the episode where Picard and Guinan and Ro got turned into their child selves. He coulda made Kes even younger every time he got her all stretched out.

Yes the transporter being a Fountain of Youth is just one of those things that get glossed over and never spoken of again.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Automatic Slim posted:

Transporter accident episodes have always been stupid in Star Trek ( except Mirror, Mirror). TMP is the only movie/episode that got things right. Having people horrible melt and reassemble into abominations when their matter streams are corrupted.

I liked the enemy within

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is that the ending stanza of a "bundy bounce" from the "Newwww Allanté" episode? What strange substance is Tia Carerre made of that they cant make more of them? Its been like 20 years and there still isn't a consensus Tia stand in.

I guess that is what's holding up any Relic Hunter nextflix/hulu/CBSbullshit series revival.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yep. You might not have noticed, but the redheaded modeling instructor was Ginger from Gilligan's Island.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Centripetal Horse posted:

I have a plan, if everyone can just wait a few days.

If you are creating an exhaustive dissertation-style OP then you really need to include a footnote of how german websites wholly dominated the online 90's Bundy-verse. So many terrible "Die Bundies Bilder Webring!" to navigate while trying to find out who the small-foreheaded woman in the red top that wrestled in Al's bed.

Does anyone know where Voyager struck an unusually strong chord with which euro nation? Like how "Small Wonder" was somehow huuuuge in Italy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

shadow puppet of a posted:

If you are creating an exhaustive dissertation-style OP then you really need to include a footnote of how german websites wholly dominated the online 90's Bundy-verse. So many terrible "Die Bundies Bilder Webring!" to navigate while trying to find out who the small-foreheaded woman in the red top that wrestled in Al's bed.

Does anyone know where Voyager struck an unusually strong chord with which euro nation? Like how "Small Wonder" was somehow huuuuge in Italy.

I'm going to assume Germany, since it's the Alabama of europe

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
There is a life size statue of Columbo in Budapest and I believe Land of the Giants was crazy popular in Romania.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
There's also a village in Serbia that spent all their money to get their own statue of Rocky Balboa.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rocket_man38 posted:

Does starfleet require everyone to keep personal logs? I mean why does everyone keep a diary and poo poo?

Because it's a narrative device wherein the show provides context, backstory, and perspective via the ship's logs. It's literally one of the earliest concepts established for the show when it was being developed in the early 60s.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

criscodisco posted:

That was in the worst, the attempted Friends ripoff spinoff about him and his roommate and I think his girlfriend was the blond sister from Charles in Charge who didn't look like Bigfoot. There was another attempted spinoff episode about a guy and his dad trying to scam their way into high society. Our maybe I'm confusing the plots, but I'm sure there are 2 of them.

There were three attempted MWC spinoffs. The first was Top of the Heap, which starred Matt LeBlanc and Rita Moreno at a low point in her career. It ran a few episodes and about a year later it came back retitled Vinnie & Bobby and ran a few more episodes. It was still more successful than the other two spinoff attempts, which were just backdoor pilots on MWC: "Radio Free Trumaine" had Keri Russell at a university radio station and "Enemies" was Nicole Eggert in a parody of Friends.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

"Radio Free Trumaine" had Keri Russell at a university radio station

I think this is where I first learned about the Attica Prison Riot.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I remember reading somewhere that the Dominion had encountered the Borg on the edge of their frontier. And there was some bullshit about gem hadar resisting nanoprobes so the Borg hosed off to do other things.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trast posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the Dominion had encountered the Borg on the edge of their frontier. And there was some bullshit about gem hadar resisting nanoprobes so the Borg hosed off to do other things.

Part of me would love to have seen a scene where the Borg Queen is marching down one of those green flickering corridors and mumbling "does anyone remember when we used to be interested in technology?" as a riff on that one scene from Insurrection.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Does anyone remember that old review of sub rosa? It goes through the whole story in excruciating detail and eventually reveals it to be an Anne Rice ripoff.

I can't find it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Because it's a narrative device wherein the show provides context, backstory, and perspective via the ship's logs. It's literally one of the earliest concepts established for the show when it was being developed in the early 60s.

'Personal' Logs should be full of 'poo poo that didn't happen that way' as opposed to the dry officer/crew 'official' logs. Full of swears, insults, snide comments, bad imitations and completely misrepresenting the events. Officers abuse their power to have command override by reading excerpts of lower-ranking personal logs at staff meetings like they're a teenager's diary.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Part of me would love to have seen a scene where the Borg Queen is marching down one of those green flickering corridors and mumbling "does anyone remember when we used to be interested in technology?" as a riff on that one scene from Insurrection.

I did enjoy the Dominion as a bad guy for DS9. They even managed to flesh out the jem hadar enough that they weren't just mindless henchmen.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Klingon personal logs are written in blood and are insufferably emo.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 22, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trast posted:

I did enjoy the Dominion as a bad guy for DS9. They even managed to flesh out the jem hadar enough that they weren't just mindless henchmen.

The Dominion were cool as an anti-federation. Previously we had only seen antagonistic countries that were basically single-species. The Dominion were the first time we saw a power like the federation, a vast collection of different races working in harmony for a greater cause than species-centric nationalism. I would have liked to have seen a few more dominion members though, clearly they had power over a huge number of species, most of which they left to do their own thing so long as they contributed their taxes and obeyed dominion law.

Would have been cool to see what life in the Dominion was like as well. We see their vat-grown soldiers and their cloned administrators but what's the average dominion planet like for dominion civilians? I think if they had shown some dominion planets and more or less happy satisfied civilians it would have made them an even better anti-federation. The average person doesn't give a poo poo about war crimes and oppression or political freedom so long as they aren't being directly oppressed and their material needs are being met. Show that the dominion expands mostly peacefully by essentially bribing planets to join by promising development and technology and stability, then actually following through and treating the people well so long as they are 100% loyal, genocide otherwise.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Supposedly they did consider showing the Dominion deploying non-Jem'Hadar soldiers in a few episodes to represent their other member species in the form of auxiliaries. But they decided that might be too confusing to viewers.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yo the DS9 appreciation thread is this way http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781992

Please stop derailing the random chat about mediocre 90's American sitcoms.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually think it's cool that they ONLY use their own engineer races for war. Keep their huge civilian empire totally insulated from the wars, keep them happy and stable and unarmed and unaware. I imagine it would be like living in Singapore or the upper classes of Dubai where it doesn't matter if you're living in a lovely repressive dictatorship because your material conditions are pretty good and the rule of law is pretty clear so it's easy to avoid repression by just following the rules and being a good loyal dominion citizen. You never have to worry about being drafted or brought into the war, that's what the Jem Hadar are for. All your planet has to do is pay their share of taxes or resources and the dominion keeps everything safe and stable and prosperous. Maybe corruption is really low as well as the Dominion has no patience for it, plus a good legal system allows for a strong sense of fairness and justice for the average citizen.

Basically show how a brutal and efficient dictatorship can actually be quite seductive to a lot of people so long as they aren't on the the receiving end of the brutality. Don't show the average citizen as some oppressed victim wishing they had the freedoms of a federation citizen, show them as totally happy with the Dominion and that the so called "political freedoms" in the federation being dangerous and leading to instability.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What about poo poo like that planet where everyone had a forever disease because their ancestors rose up against The Dominion? There's probably quite a few of those.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they're just super open handed with their friends and super brutal to their enemies?

Idk they kinda treated the Cardassians like poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cheerfullydrab posted:

What about poo poo like that planet where everyone had a forever disease because their ancestors rose up against The Dominion? There's probably quite a few of those.

Don't rise up or resist, idiots. They had it coming. If you don't want to be genocided by the dominion maybe act respectfully and obey the law? A few genocided or hell-plague planets sets an example, and you bet the rest of the dominion totally victim-blames them too.