Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree with the people that say Arkham City's story put way too much focus on shoving you to the next plot location. Batman's gonna die in a few hours, and Strange is straight-up announcing every hour of plot time when the special surprise is gonna happen. If you do skip all the open world and side stuff and just do the plot, Strange's hourly in-world announcements coincide with your playthrough of the game in real time, which is such a baffling decision to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Hello fellow mutant. I wish Origins wasn't as overlooked, though admittedly it does have its own fair share of problems.

I think Origins biggest problem is that it doesn't really do anything new, it's the same formula as City only with some better boss fights and a tighter story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Almost every new thing that brings the game forward in arkham knight sucks poo poo so that's not really that bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Alhazred posted:

I think Origins biggest problem is that it doesn't really do anything new, it's the same formula as City only with some better boss fights and a tighter story.

It's in a weird position because they obviously couldn't do anything too world-changingly new because it's a prequel, but it at least has the luxury to expand on and play with the melee and stealth systems that were solidified in City. Some of the additions were great - I really like the new enemy types, for instance, and I think the predator maps are more varied and better designed. But then you have really bad additions like the shock gauntlets or the challenge system, not to mention just general issues with the melee combat.

Though we saw where "doing something new" got us with Knight's obsession with the Batmobile. :v:

Fake edit: Beaten, lol.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I didn't get too far into origins but i didn't like the unlock system it had that required you performing ingame challenges. it's a good idea on paper bc it encourages you to mix up ur playstyle but the challenges are locked off sequentially instead of being in a pool that unlock as you perform them naturally during gameplay. so even if you did 3 predator takedowns you can't clear that challenge until you've alerted an enemy then take them down when they return to a neutral state 3 times or whatever was blocking me off.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's one in particular that requires you to do four specific types of takedowns in a single predator encounter. Except one of the takedown types can only be performed in all of two maps in the entire game, one of which you get two encounters in for a total of three chances to get it. Though IIRC, you're also basically screwed if you wait for the final opportunity because then there aren't enough predator rooms left to get everything else easily. To top it all off, the takedown type is super vague, bordering on obscure, and is pointlessly risky to attempt most of the time. And naturally progress isn't tracked between checkpoint reloads, so have fun doing all four again if you screw up along the way!

There's a few other obnoxious challenges, but that one is the absolute worst, and it shows up pretty early in the stealth line to more than likely permanently block your progress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I think the worst parts of Origins, besides the fact that it could crash, were the Bane fight and the fact that you had to go through like eight armor upgrades before you're allowed to get anything interesting like critical strikes.

Oh, and combos being locked behind sidequests too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

There's one in particular that requires you to do four specific types of takedowns in a single predator encounter. Except one of the takedown types can only be performed in all of two maps in the entire game, one of which you get two encounters in for a total of three chances to get it. Though IIRC, you're also basically screwed if you wait for the final opportunity because then there aren't enough predator rooms left to get everything else easily. To top it all off, the takedown type is super vague, bordering on obscure, and is pointlessly risky to attempt most of the time. And naturally progress isn't tracked between checkpoint reloads, so have fun doing all four again if you screw up along the way!

There's a few other obnoxious challenges, but that one is the absolute worst, and it shows up pretty early in the stealth line to more than likely permanently block your progress.

So, it's a poo poo version of the Mr. Freeze fight in City?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Bar Crow posted:

The whole randomized gun system feels like a mistake. Instead of choosing between interesting options, you're mostly just sorting through garbage.

When i played though BL2 i played as the sniper and early on found this incredibly rare sniper rifle that just burned everything to death that looked amazing and was awesome. Once it fell behind in damage i never found a sniper rifle of that rarity for the rest of the game and nothing felt as awesome.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

A White Guy posted:

The Witcher, the 3rd: Aside from Roach's (your horse taxi) atrocious spawning mechanics, this game is legitimately too long. I just finished with Vellen, I don't think I'm going to even finish the game. I looked online and just pounding the main story line the game is still 16 hours long :cry:

Witcher 3 being my favorite game notwithstanding, this seems like an odd complaint for an open world RPG. How long do you want it to be?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Witcher 3 definitely overshoots the sweet spot, whatever it may be.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
But what's amazing is that it's not shallow. A lot of open world games litter the world with repetitive side missions and while witcher 3 has some like treasure hunts, even seemingly straightforward hunts usually have a twist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Most of the ?s on the map are pure filler, especially in Skellige, but you're right for the most part besides that. I can see how it can be tiring.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I agree with the people that say Arkham City's story put way too much focus on shoving you to the next plot location. Batman's gonna die in a few hours, and Strange is straight-up announcing every hour of plot time when the special surprise is gonna happen. If you do skip all the open world and side stuff and just do the plot, Strange's hourly in-world announcements coincide with your playthrough of the game in real time, which is such a baffling decision to me.
The thing that's starting to drag games down in a major way for me is open world and side stuff. Especially coupled with a grindy upgrade system, and especially if it's set up so later story missions are obnoxiously hard if you don't have a bunch of upgrades, so you can't just breeze through the story. Mad Max is one of the worst offenders, since it even locks story progression behind open world side stuff goals, but I somehow ended up playing a ton of open world games lately and I can't say any of them actually do it well. Say what you will about GTA V having nothing to do in the open world, at least it manages to keep its focus.

All these games should, by law, have a New Game Plus mode, but not an inane Batman New Game Plus mode that makes things harder, just one that allows you to replay the story without having to collect the hundred secret horse bollocks again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

The Witcher, the 3rd: Aside from Roach's (your horse taxi) atrocious spawning mechanics, this game is legitimately too long. I just finished with Vellen, I don't think I'm going to even finish the game. I looked online and just pounding the main story line the game is still 16 hours long :cry:

This seems like a fairly reasonable clear time for an open-world RPG, though?

I'm 25 hours in and halfway through Velen, but I'm stopping to do every little quest I can find.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I think the problem with Witcher 3's length is that there isn't really anything interesting to do. If the enemies and areas weren't all so samey it wouldn't feel like such a slog. And if the combat wasn't so drat clunky.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

So, it's a poo poo version of the Mr. Freeze fight in City?

Eh, they're not really comparable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

But then you have really bad additions like the shock gauntlets or the challenge system, not to mention just general issues with the melee combat.

Makes you wonder why Batman ditched the shock gauntlets in the later games.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Tengames posted:

When i played though BL2 i played as the sniper and early on found this incredibly rare sniper rifle that just burned everything to death that looked amazing and was awesome. Once it fell behind in damage i never found a sniper rifle of that rarity for the rest of the game and nothing felt as awesome.

I had something similar happen when I was like level 30, and found this "rare" sniper rifle that was so powerful not even the end-game weapons could approach it. Fired off like seven shots a second with more damage than a rocket launcher.

I didn't ask why. I just made things die.

The only drag about it was that it made the rest of my loot seem like the hottest garbage by comparison.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

It's in a weird position because they obviously couldn't do anything too world-changingly new because it's a prequel, but it at least has the luxury to expand on and play with the melee and stealth systems that were solidified in City. Some of the additions were great - I really like the new enemy types, for instance, and I think the predator maps are more varied and better designed. But then you have really bad additions like the shock gauntlets or the challenge system, not to mention just general issues with the melee combat.

Though we saw where "doing something new" got us with Knight's obsession with the Batmobile. :v:

Fake edit: Beaten, lol.

I always think that Origins would have been much better received if it had stuck to its original "Black Mask hires 8 assassins to kill Batman in one night" premise instead of what it ended up being. I think a lot of people soured on it initially because of that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I always think that Origins would have been much better received if it had stuck to its original "Black Mask hires 8 assassins to kill Batman in one night" premise instead of what it ended up being. I think a lot of people soured on it initially because of that.

Absolutely. Though I honestly liked the Joker in Origins more than in the first two games, even as a big fan of Mark Hamill's version.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

The only drag about it was that it made the rest of my loot seem like the hottest garbage by comparison.

Going in the opposite direction, one of my biggest pet peeves with ARPGs at this point is common-tier loot. I have to assume it's to help reinforce the Skinner box by having even more loot, even if it's completely loving useless, clog up the screen. Some games occasionally do something with them; I recall Torchlight 2 sometimes had white drops with a greater number of gem slots than usual, but usually they're just white noise. :rimshot: Even in games where you can have a pet or companion sell off extra loot for you, there's so much trash loot that you're better off completely ignoring commons.

Also you know there's something messed up if the game actually has built-in settings to automatically filter out crappy drops.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's kind of hilarious too because Diablo 2 pretty much already solved that problem: Into white (normal) poo poo you can socket rune words, so it's worth it to pick up at least some of the highest tier weapons (and after a certain level, only those drop), some certain armors that fit popular style/weight demands, and every scepter, wand etc. if you have the place to spare because that poo poo sells for mad cash. Grey stuff used to be completely worthless (broken), but the expansion added etheral weapons which cannot be repaired, but guess what, some rune words convey indestructibility, so suddenly grey stuff is also worth looking at.

Only blue (magic) charms can have +1 for a character's skill tree. Only blue amulets can have +3. For some have-everything-else builds, blue armors can be the absolute best in slot - four sockets and +100 (I think) Life, which is, again, an amount only achieved by blue gear. The sockets are filled with super rare jewels.

Yellow (rare) stuff: rings and amulets (for the full package and +2 to ALL skills, not just a single skill tree); and as crafting got more and more extensive, sometimes you wanted a rare axe or something of a certain type to try and make into a God-tier weapon with a 0.0000001% chance. Also, some yellow weapons COULD be the single best thing for certain builds; divide the previous percentage by another million, though.

And of course sets (green) and uniques (gold) are always welcome, unless you're far enough gone that you know what each specific set item's base type is so you frown at crowns but always pick up bone helmets or whatever.

Depending on what your goals were, everything could be useful. If you traded poo poo, everything was useful. It's weird that "give this tier of rarity higher numbers, but less of them in total" is such a hard concept to copy. For example, to clarify:
One of the best blue amulets: +3 lightning skills, +20% faster cast rate.
One of the best yellow amulets: +2 all sorceress skills, +20% faster cast rate, +20% all resistances, AND life and mana. That's a great package, but less damage if you're a pure lightning sorceress. Niche, but that's all that matters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

Absolutely. Though I honestly liked the Joker in Origins more than in the first two games, even as a big fan of Mark Hamill's version.

Going in the opposite direction, one of my biggest pet peeves with ARPGs at this point is common-tier loot. I have to assume it's to help reinforce the Skinner box by having even more loot, even if it's completely loving useless, clog up the screen. Some games occasionally do something with them; I recall Torchlight 2 sometimes had white drops with a greater number of gem slots than usual, but usually they're just white noise. :rimshot: Even in games where you can have a pet or companion sell off extra loot for you, there's so much trash loot that you're better off completely ignoring commons.

Also you know there's something messed up if the game actually has built-in settings to automatically filter out crappy drops.

The biggest problem is that most of them just make the loot completely useless, torchlight 2 is an excellent example of that. There's pretty much no reason to pick up anything but the best tier of things because you'll be swimming in that fast enough. So your screen is just filled with a million items you'll never use, never pick up and can't pick up because your tiny inventory is filled already with vastly better things. There's no real progression because you go from zero to the best poo poo absurdly fast, unless I've just been lucky every time I played.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
In Diablo 3 you can get a treasure goblin that picks up white loot and can eventually spit out a legendary. So at least it goes to some good.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Didn't Diablo 3 try getting rid of common items? But people complained because it made the good drops seem less good. Or something.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alhazred posted:

It's better than Knight though, where the new thing is bad.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Diablo 3 rarity went Grey -> White -> Blue -> Yellow -> Orange. Yellow was kind of rare in vanilla D3, but now pretty much every named or elite monster and shiny chest drops yellow items. Grey and white rarely drop from monsters, but they appear a lot from weapon and armor racks. They used to be useless even as vendor trash because even max level commons sold for less than 20 gold (When the stuff you want to buy can cost thousands of millions), but now they break down into crafting ingredients so they're at least somewhat necessary.

Also, loot is actually almost always useful to someone, though some of it will be more useful than others. Your barbarian will get mostly barbarian loot, but they might find a wizard weapon every so often. It'll be something your wizard can actually use, though, it won't have strength or something.

It's a bit tougher to gear up a follower if you want them to wear something with a different primary stat than you though.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Jul 14, 2016

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
How I would improve the most recent borderlands games with minimal engineering debt:

1. Make it so that at you can insert a piece of loot any weapon/shield vendor and raise that piece of loot to your level, for the cost of whatever your level is in Eridium/Moonstone. This lets you keep your favourite weapons, but makes you weigh up the cost of doing so.

2. Put a loving 'buy all' button on the ammo vending machines already.

3.Enemies/loot/vendors in True Vault Hunter mode scale after endgame, allowing you to explore the higher levels while still having fun and leaving Ultimate mode as a playground for masochists.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Seraph in Black Ops 3 has a gorgeous new cosmetic outfit with chinese motif and I gotta have it.

But I can't buy poo poo individually, gotta pray they drop from the loot crate poo poo they got going and the RNG is against you as that poo poo drops camos of varying quality, gear for every single character in the game(including an entire character) and weapons and you can still get repeats, I ain't paying for that poo poo.

Overwatch does the same thing, seriously I don't care if its a mark up, I am a goddamn whale, I will happily spend 5 or 10 bucks on a guaranteed item.

You're missing out on my money Activison/Blizzard. :colbert:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

diablo as a series is what every other loot/click fest is trying and failing miserably to be

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

im pooping! posted:

diablo as a series is what every other loot/click fest is trying and failing miserably to be

lol look at this jerk who hasn't play Titan Quest and Grim Dawn

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Seraph in Black Ops 3 has a gorgeous new cosmetic outfit with chinese motif and I gotta have it.

But I can't buy poo poo individually, gotta pray they drop from the loot crate poo poo they got going and the RNG is against you as that poo poo drops camos of varying quality, gear for every single character in the game(including an entire character) and weapons and you can still get repeats, I ain't paying for that poo poo.

Overwatch does the same thing, seriously I don't care if its a mark up, I am a goddamn whale, I will happily spend 5 or 10 bucks on a guaranteed item.

You're missing out on my money Activison/Blizzard. :colbert:

But it worked for TF2! :shepface:

I'm really just kind of done with the mystery box style of paying for cosmetics in games. I'd love to look cool, sure. But it rapidly stops being worth it when you get the same thing twice in a row you literally can not use for whatever reason. And there's no way to get rid of it without just ultimately having wasted your money.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mister Adequate posted:

lol look at this jerk who hasn't play Titan Quest and Grim Dawn

lol those games are not very good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RyokoTK posted:

lol those games are not very good

They really are terrible, mostly because they're trying to emulate a game that frankly wasn't/isn't very good. See also: PoE.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

But it worked for TF2! :shepface:

I'm really just kind of done with the mystery box style of paying for cosmetics in games. I'd love to look cool, sure. But it rapidly stops being worth it when you get the same thing twice in a row you literally can not use for whatever reason. And there's no way to get rid of it without just ultimately having wasted your money.

Yeah, if I'm forking up cash I want to be guaranteed I'm getting my stuff. If I wanted to gamble my money away I'd just go to Vegas, at least there when I win I get money back. And if I win too much I get some stylish concrete block shoes!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

They really are terrible, mostly because they're trying to emulate a game that frankly wasn't/isn't very good. See also: PoE.

PoE is a really cool idea brought down by the simple fact that its idea doesn't work at all. "Look at all these options for builds!" it says and vomits out a giant sphere grid at you. But ultimately almost none of the really cool builds you could imagine up will work past normal mode.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At least Overwatch has an in-game currency you get from duplicates (or as standalone rewards) that can be used to create all of the cosmetic stuff, save for the golden weapons you ONLY get the completely separate currency for by playing in competitive mode.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The problem with Arkham Origins is that it's not an actual Origin.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

In MGSV: The Phantom Pain there are posters of Paz drawn in an anime style decorating your base but they're anachronistic moe idol crap instead of cool period-appropriate 1980s styled artwork.

it's the same universe where MSF literally and canonically invented doritos and mountain dew so shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Regalingualius posted:

At least Overwatch has an in-game currency you get from duplicates (or as standalone rewards) that can be used to create all of the cosmetic stuff, save for the golden weapons you ONLY get the completely separate currency for by playing in competitive mode.

I'd be happy buying that currency instead of just regular lootboxes.