Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
energymicro also got bought by silabs which kinda sucks, their mcus were really good (but too expensive to justify unless you really need both low power and an arm core)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
The latest in mergergate - Qualcomm is apparently in talks to buy Xilinx

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Poopernickel posted:

lol, just lol if your processor's compiler costs money for a non-poo poo version

GCC fo lyfe

thought you wanted a non poo poo compiler

clang 4ever

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Poopernickel posted:

well at least the quality of their tools will

hahaha just kidding

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

gently caress consumer grade flash memory

myself and others, through a series of seemingly reasonable decisions, made our product completely dependent on consumer grade flash memory working properly

on the plus side we can afford to get industrial grade microSD cards for the product at least (at like $50 a card)

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
nevermind

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 26, 2016

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
idk much about flash memory

what is the issue? read/write speed? accuracy of data?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
i spent about 4 hours janitoring bits that were all over the floor today to find out my clock wasn't stable
(it was fine when i left it 2 weeks ago)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

probably "does it poo poo itself into oblivion soon as you accumulate a few write passes"

consumer grade tlc nand flash is poo poo tier stuff and lol if u think the ftl (translated: error correction, wear leveling, etc) implemented in a microsd card is good enough to compensate under any serious write load, especially random write. sd cards are for temporarily storing ur digicam photos until you copy them to a real storage device, no fucks are given about making it good enough to reliably boot a linux from or w/e. it has to be cheap, it has to be super low power, all else is a distant second

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

When we had the same problem it was because the lovely things would fail as soon as they so much as got lukewarm, much less their actual max rated operating temperature

Disappointing Dollhouse
Dec 11, 2004
gorkagorkagorka
after completing a z80 computer on breadboard and deciding to go again with 8086 i just have to say

they multiplexed WHAT

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GORKATRON 9000 posted:

after completing a z80 computer on breadboard and deciding to go again with 8086 i just have to say

they multiplexed WHAT

gotta save on that pin count brah

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

BobHoward posted:

probably "does it poo poo itself into oblivion soon as you accumulate a few write passes"

consumer grade tlc nand flash is poo poo tier stuff and lol if u think the ftl (translated: error correction, wear leveling, etc) implemented in a microsd card is good enough to compensate under any serious write load, especially random write. sd cards are for temporarily storing ur digicam photos until you copy them to a real storage device, no fucks are given about making it good enough to reliably boot a linux from or w/e. it has to be cheap, it has to be super low power, all else is a distant second

yeah basically

write load is not that high but it's basically 1 cluster every 10 seconds which is enough I guess. also the occasional random power loss which isn't really their fault since consumer cards aren't specced for that

crazy part is that a bunch of different systems have started failing within a week of each other despite being manufactured and put into service on wildly different dates (same batch of sd cards tho)

Disappointing Dollhouse
Dec 11, 2004
gorkagorkagorka

spankmeister posted:

gotta save on that pin count brah

gently caress pin counts this is bullshit. now there's a big latch sitting there making everything messy.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bump this thread every time openembedded is still an impenetrable clusterfuck of dogshit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr Dog posted:

bump this thread every time openembedded is still an impenetrable clusterfuck of dogshit

never heard of it before now but goog tells me it's a build-your-own-linux-distro (but with cross compilation) so honestly what were you expecting, that's about 20 red flags waving right in you face (with blinking red led fringes)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

jesus christ please god no

seriously, why would they? do they want xilinx's serdes's that badly to build some kind of giant backbone/virtex ultrascale like part that xilinx already basically produces just for cisco/juniper/etc?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ah poo poo guess it's old news, there's articles back to early next year

cool tidbit on monitoring stock filings and such to predict what might be going down though

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

movax posted:

jesus christ please god no

seriously, why would they? do they want xilinx's serdes's that badly to build some kind of giant backbone/virtex ultrascale like part that xilinx already basically produces just for cisco/juniper/etc?

why should anything make sense, just buy buy buy

intel has still yet to release any altera chips made by intel fabs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that's probably a multi year transition modern processes aren't that simple

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

that's probably a multi year transition modern processes aren't that simple

yeah I guess it's only been 1 year, thought it was longer for some reason

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
speaking of xilinx and altera etc

http://yosefk.com/blog/i-cant-believe-im-praising-tcl.html

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

solid domain name, p interesting article

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
whole blog is a pretty pro click imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
actually maybe that's why russian programmers tend to be better than average

american programmers write happy path code. is no happy path in life. is only multiple ways in which you get hosed by life and then die.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my team won the FLIR hackathon a few weeks back, the dev kit just came in

important thermography research is in progress

can u tell where the sunbeam is

ici after re-settling

handprint on cat fur

http://imgur.com/a/VUntm whole album

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

ici after re-settling

handprint on cat fur

that's the most cat thread appropriate YOSPOSting i've ever seen

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

ici after re-settling

handprint on cat fur

terrible picture subject aside (why not dogge), which flir sensor is it? lepton? parallel/serial interface? looks like a dope sensor

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah, it's a lepton

comes with a bare board & screen that are just enough to take thermal images. there's a breakout board that exposes a SPI interface, you can get 60x80 images at 8hz

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

yeah, it's a lepton

comes with a bare board & screen that are just enough to take thermal images. there's a breakout board that exposes a SPI interface, you can get 60x80 images at 8hz

do you think it can detect farts?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah, but at 60x80 you won't get that classic lwir fart pic

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

randomly came across this pro click: http://newsletter.sigmicro.org/sigmicro-oral-history-transcripts/Bob-Colwell-Transcript.pdf

sorry about the formatting I'm on mobile

quote:

Anyway, for some reason, there was an organizational meaning at which Albert Yu could not

appear. He designated Fred Pollack, but Fred could not appear, so Fred designated me, and I

showed up. So first of all I am two organizational levels down from who is supposed to be

sitting there and I ended up sitting next to Gordon Moore. This was probably about 1994 or

so. The presenter happened to be the same guy who was in the front of the car from when I

interviewed with the Santa Clara design team; same guy. He's presenting and he's predicting

some performance numbers that looked astronomically too high to me. I did not know

anything about how they expected to get there, I just knew what I thought was reasonable,

what would be an aggressive boost forward and what would be just wishful thinking. The

predictions being shown were in the ludicrous camp as far as I could tell. So I'm sitting and

staring at this presentation, wondering what are they doing, how is it humanly possible to get

what he's promising. And if it is, is it possible for this particular design team to do it. I was

intensely thinking about what's happening here. Finally I just couldn't stand it anymore and I

put my hand up. There was some discussion, but you have to realize none of these people

were really chip designers or computer architects, with the exception of Gelsinger and Dadi

Perlmutter.

Yeah, his real name is David, he’s an Israeli. Everybody calls him Dadi. And then

Pat Gelsinger who was the chip architect, designer in 386 and 486. But most of those guys at

this presentation haven't designed anything themselves, they know how to manage

complicated large expensive efforts, which is a different animal. Anyway this chip architect

guy is standing up in front of this group promising the moon and stars. And I finally put my

hand up and said I just could not see how you're proposing to get to those kind of

performance levels. And he said well we've got a simulation, and I thought Ah, ok. That shut

me up for a little bit, but then something occurred to me and I interrupted him again. I said,

wait I am sorry to derail this meeting. But how would you use a simulator if you don't have a

compiler? He said, well that's true we don't have a compiler yet, so I hand assembled my

simulations. I asked "How did you do thousands of line of code that way?" He said “No, I did

30 lines of code”. Flabbergasted, I said, "You're predicting the entire future of this

architecture on 30 lines of hand generated code?" [chuckle], I said it just like that, I did not

mean to be insulting but I was just thunderstruck. Andy Grove piped up and said "we are not

here right now to reconsider the future of this effort, so let’s move on". I said "Okay, it's your

money, if that's what you want."

Suddenly this came up again later in another guise but again Andy shut me off, he said

"we're not here to discuss it". Gordon Moore is sitting next to me and hasn’t said a word, he

looks to all intents and purposes like he's asleep. He's got his eyes closed most of the time,

you think okay, the guy's tired, he's old. But no, 20 minutes into this, he suddenly opens his

eyes and he points to me and he asks, "did you get ever get an answer to your question?" and

I said, "actually no, none that I can understand". Gordon looked around and says, "how are

we planning to move ahead with this, if the answers don't make sense?" and this time Andy

Grove said to him "We’re not here to discuss that, Gordon". [laughter]. Gordon really

impressed me with his ability to cut right to the heart of the matter. I saw him do that more

than once, you think he's not paying attention, but when he pipes up, what he's about to say

is dead on; he's not only been following the discussion but he sees where the real issue is, he

points at it. That guy was impressive.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

what should i do for my senior design project

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a computer

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
a robot that VAPES

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

theremin with playback

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

a synthesizer the likes of which the late 80s could barely imagine

make it vaporwave as gently caress

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

a synthesizer the likes of which the late 80s could barely imagine