Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America and no Obama smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Jastiger posted:

America and no Obama smdh

You will probably have to wait until Civ XXII or so.

e: I had to check the civ games release years to come up with that number, and it seems that the period between the release of Civ V and VI has been the longest between two base games in the series (if you don't count Civ:BE as part of the series).

Rexides fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 13, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Trajan gets unfair representation by being the emperor when rome was at its largest, even though he achieved that by fighting an ill-advised war against Persia that resulted in his death and only succeeded in holding the territory for a few months.

If they wanted someone who wasn't from the Julio-Claudian dynasty Hadrian or Constantine would have been better choices imo

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rexides posted:

You will probably have to wait until Civ XXII or so.

e: I had to check the civ games release years to come up with that number, and it seems that the period between the release of Civ V and VI has been the longest between two base games in the series (if you don't count Civ:BE as part of the series).

Haile Selassie died in 1975, so he's the most contemporary leader in Civ at death + 40 years.
So, if Obama lives another 35 years to age 90, we might not see him in Civ for another 75 years. Even then, I think we'd see the winner of this year's election as the leader sooner than that as the Harbinger of Global Doom.

Trump:
Cannot open trade routes with other Civs.
Capital exclusive "Palace" replaced with "Luxury Hotel", can be built in cities other than the capital
Gets a free Great Wall wonder at the expense of another Civ if borders are touching

Hillary Clinton:
Enemy spies steal techs from America at a 3x faster rate once The Internet is researched

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Haile Selassie died in 1975, so he's the most contemporary leader in Civ at death + 40 years.
So, if Obama lives another 35 years to age 90, we might not see him in Civ for another 75 years. Even then, I think we'd see the winner of this year's election as the leader sooner than that as the Harbinger of Global Doom.

Trump:
Cannot open trade routes with other Civs.
Capital exclusive "Palace" replaced with "Luxury Hotel", can be built in cities other than the capital
Gets a free Great Wall wonder at the expense of another Civ if borders are touching

Hillary Clinton:
Enemy spies steal techs from America at a 3x faster rate once The Internet is researched

edit: Never mind I'm not gonna get mad at silly political things in the civ thread.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
Getting a chance to talk to someone at Firaxis about Civ VI today-- anyone have any pressing questions about anything other than the Cat Civ?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Doorselfin posted:

Getting a chance to talk to someone at Firaxis about Civ VI today-- anyone have any pressing questions about anything other than the Cat Civ?

Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England?

Seriously though, will it be more moddable than Civ V? I mean, will it be possible to import my own models for the diplomacy screens in an easier way (few have managed, AFAIK)? Things like that.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 13, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are they bringing back vassalization?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Sean Bean going to voice any of the Civs?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Doorselfin posted:

Ask about multiplayer. Will it be feature complete (IE: AI able to propose deals, players able to play scenarios in MP) or hamstrung like in Civ 5?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Is Sean Bean going to voice any of the Civs?

Is Sean Bean going to voice all of the Civs?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Doorselfin posted:

Do they have any plans to release any official documentation or api guides for modders this time around?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Will players in SP and MP be able to make their own customs signs on the map? Will there be a Civ:Rev-like function where the game asks you to name map features (bays, mountain ranges, deserts, etc)?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Pearson, King, or Macdonald for the Canadian leader?

Yeah, I know. :canada:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ask them about the leak

go look at their board of leaders to cypher the remaining two.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also are they bringing back outposts from Civ 4, so you don't have to plop a city in order to get a uranium from a bunch of snow tiles?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
really wish they'd post a new civ video, I want more info!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I am French and the way I see it, having Catherine de Medicis as the French leader makes utterly no sense for many reasons:

First, because it kicks out leaders such as Clovis, Henri IV, Francois 1er, Louis XIV, Napoleon, or De Gaulle to name a few. These leaders had an impact not only on French History, but on World History as well

Second, because France had established the Agnatic Succession Rule within the Salic Law, EXCLUDING WOMEN from the inheritance of the throne, back in the 13th century. As a result, she NEVER was the RULING QUEEN of France, technically excluding her as a potential leader for Civ representation (that aparently was not enough to stop Firaxis)

Third, as stated earlier, because Catherine de Medicis never really ruled: she was Queen of France as she married King Henri III (but did not have any real executive power) and served as regent of France from 1560 to 1562. Less than 3 years, that´s it. In comparission, Louis XIV ruled for 72 years...

Fourth, because Firaxis wants big personalities standing for something important in the history of the nation they represent: she was generally tolerant towards the Protestants but at the same time, took part in their horrible massacre on Saint Barthelemy, in 1572. How does that translate to Civ Gameplay?? "Catherine de Medicis the schyzophrenic ruler??"... I´m curious...

Fifth, Firaxis must think it serves the purpose of religious gameplay and their new religious system. Fine, but she is not even the best suited "leader" in her own era for that!! Henri IV, her son in law, and King of France, with his Edit de Nantes (April 1598) would have been muuuch better in this regard, no contest.

Sixth, I think she was picked only to put in a female leader. I have no issue with female leaders when they deserve to be chosen, such as: the Queens of England, Isabella of Spain, the Queens of Portugal, Catherine of Russia, the great Austrian Queens, to only dare name a few european queens, or nation actually ruled by female leaders. Although she has had influence in French History, it is riduulous to have picked her for France. It is like having Marie Antoinette or Joan of Arc... nonesense.

Conclusion: Just becuase they have a quota of Female Leaders to pick and a new religious system, should not mean that the choice of Catherine de Medicis is justified over all of those great, great leaders France had throughout its 2000 years of History. It shows ignorance and lack of research to some extent and in this regard, it is somewhat of a disappointment. Thinking outside the box is fine but given the data above, this choice is not justifiable

quote:

Welcome to CFC!

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 14, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jastiger posted:

Also are they bringing back outposts from Civ 4, so you don't have to plop a city in order to get a uranium from a bunch of snow tiles?
Outposts were from Civ 3 (but should still come back, yes).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kurtofan posted:

Second, because France had established the Agnatic Succession Rule within the Salic Law, EXCLUDING WOMEN from the inheritance of the throne, back in the 13th century. As a result, she NEVER was the RULING QUEEN of France, technically excluding her as a potential leader for Civ representation (that aparently was not enough to stop Firaxis)

Gandhi.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean she's generally regarded as shadow ruling through her sons and stuff right? That already puts her a step above Gandhi, Joan of Arc, Dido and other civ rulers used.

IMO better than Maria of Portugal as well.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ghandi is the Ryu of the Civilization series. You can't not have him

You might be able to swing Chandragupta Maurya as an Indian leader instead maybe?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean she's generally regarded as shadow ruling through her sons and stuff right? That already puts her a step above Gandhi, Joan of Arc, Dido and other civ rulers used.

IMO better than Maria of Portugal as well.

Yeah she's a great pick for their new AI behavior system, I think.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurtofan posted:

I am French and the way I see it, having Catherine de Medicis as the French leader makes utterly no sense for many reasons:

Nice meltdown. Be sure to post it on CivFanatics.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cythereal posted:

90% sure that's a c/p

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

make all civ leaders women
sell bottled tears as dlc

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf_U-mbM6zA
The Art of Civilization VI.

People have already been pouring over screens- it seems to back up some of the leaders (including a split-second Roman appearance).

Tsingy De Bemaraha shows up at 0:18 - another Natural Wonder.

Frederick Barbarossa on the far right.

Beturbaned leaderhead shows up by Hojo.

Who's this?

Long nose and hairline suggests Trajan, though I guess it could be a caricature of Julius, too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

make all civ leaders women
sell bottled tears as dlc
Turn all leaders into female versions of themselves? Sounds great to me.

Also I once watched an anime based on that. :v:

Hogama posted:

Long nose and hairline suggests Trajan, though I guess it could be a caricature of Julius, too.
Kinda looks like Julius from Asterix to me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Someone also pointed out that the civet on the leader board might actually be a hint at CIVETS (an acronym for six favored emerging markets) - Colombia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Egypt, Turkey, South Africa.
It might just be over-analyzing at this point, particularly if 22 heads correspond to 18 base civs + 4 post-launch DLC, but perhaps it's where they're looking for the next DLC wave/expansion?

Also, there's this, too.

As the player is apparently the Aztecs at the time (a city name that may be Cempoala is seen), it could be Monty's face. Not that you can really make out the details.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Alright, I have to admit, I find this level of pixel-examination pretty embarrassing

As for the civet, obviously they're going to be a bonus resource that adds one extra Faith to a tile, two with Animal Husbandry and a pasture

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We clearly need to write a GUI in Visual Basic to enhance the video further.

There was no "Next time" in this release, so I'm assuming next week will have a new Civ first look again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
All this arguing makes me wonder: has anyone ever implemented a CivFanatics civ into any of the games? Its special abilities would relate to being in continual anarchy as every city bitched about which game is the best in the series and how the next game is going to ruin everything / finally redeem the last N games' worth of atrocities / have Hitler.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cythereal posted:

where do you think I got it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

All this arguing makes me wonder: has anyone ever implemented a CivFanatics civ into any of the games? Its special abilities would relate to being in continual anarchy as every city bitched about which game is the best in the series and how the next game is going to ruin everything / finally redeem the last N games' worth of atrocities / have Hitler.

Collapses into anarchy every time a new technological era is reached.

E: UB: Overpowered Nationalist Mod. Builds UUs of random Civs not present in the game, with an additional 20% strength modifier "for realism"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wouldn't see them as a civilization, but we could mod it in so that some of their thread titles appear as the text of notifications.

Certain events could trigger:
"Is Civilization forever dead"
"1UPT is in Im OUT!"
"Will Firaxis balance CivVI"
"[LEADER_NAME] was never culturally or genetically [X]. What a terrible choice."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A mod that randomly selects a CivFanatics post and has one of the leaders in your game pop up and say it.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

A mod that randomly selects a CivFanatics post and has one of the leaders in your game pop up and say it.

That's a scary world.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

This thread is now like a Moon Landing scepticism website with an expiration date.

As far as fan websites of old franchises go, CivFanatics is still (marginally) better than NoMutantsAllowed. The former is at least a source of decent mods (when it's not slavery mods for CivIV:Colonization)

Rexides fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 14, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yep.

E: looked it up and that person actually didn't even seem to care about the graphics and was more concerned with it being similar to Civ V

Which is a perfectly legitimate criticism.

They are loosening up unit/tile restrictions, and they are doing something about unit carpets (which are unfun to manage), so that's a step in the right direction. Hopefully the game mechanics will be something beyond "filling buckets," and I really like the District Ideas.

I also hope they are using a more flexible games engine, one that allows dynamic terrain changes, so that we can have much more robust modding.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

I also hope they are using a more flexible games engine, one that allows dynamic terrain changes, so that we can have much more robust modding.

I'm almost certain they will because terrain changes in V was a limitation actually mentioned by the developers. Ed Beach actually mentioned that they originally looked at the Dutch ability to be to reclaim sea tiles, but the engine wouldn't allow for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Does anyone know yet what the difference between the special edition and the standard edition is, other than one giving Firaxis $20 more?