Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scotusreporter/status/753592018564112388

No, don't show weakness in front of Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bushiz posted:

Getting mad at an app that gets people outside and engaging in their surroundings because it's tied to an old video game or because it's not an "authentic" way to explore their communities and surroundings is dumb as hell, hth.

lol at this concern trolling

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh god loving damnit. Media, this is your fault.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Bushiz posted:

Getting mad at an app that gets people outside and engaging in their surroundings because it's tied to an old video game or because it's not an "authentic" way to explore their communities and surroundings is dumb as hell, hth.

Countdown til someone plays Pokemon Go near Hillary CLinton.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crass Casualty posted:

So, for anyone freaking out about polling and other things, didn't someone in this thread earlier state that the media also has a vested interest in making this election look like a neck and neck horse race, rather than a landslide for Hillary? A landslide victory is boring to watch. It's more interesting and suspenseful to watch a race where it's possible for Hillary to lose, therefore the media works to present the race as such for the sake of ratings.

There was an article on Vox IIRC at the beginning of the campaigns that I've never been able to find again, arguing exactly this- that the media ecology surrounding US politics is fundamentally reliant on candidates from the parties being superficially comparable. A race between a competent politician and a literal clown is an existential threat to the entire complex so they'll do everything they can to pretend it's not really the case.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 14, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one is freaking out about polling except for that one troll that comes in here to intentionally rile people up about

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Hollismason posted:

Countdown til someone plays Pokemon Go near Hillary CLinton.

I'd start counting down until Hillary Clinton says she plays Pokemon Go.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Radish posted:

This is one of the reasons that "firmly held beliefs" apparently passing so much legal muster pisses me off. These people don't firmly believe anything in their religion, only loving over people that aren't exactly like them but that's impossible to prove.

How is "loving over people that aren't exactly like them" not a sincerely held religious belief?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Seriously. Whoever said that this is an example that Democrats have to be civil since they are actual adults while Republicans can fling their poo poo around and not get called on it because we all know they are actually big toddlers with no real idea on how to govern responcibly was spot on. Where the gently caress is the NYTimes editorial staff calling out a presidential candidate for calling a sitting justice "brainless" and advocating removing her from the SCOTUS?

Shbobdb posted:

How is "loving over people that aren't exactly like them" not a sincerely held religious belief?

It's not but they should have to at least be honest about it. I'd like 5-4 scotus ruling have to wear "I hate women" around their necks instead of being able to pretend that religious conservatives want to disallow their employees birth control because it conflicts with some kind of altruism for unborn children.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 14, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
She'll say she plays Pokemon GO and her favorite is Agumon.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

God dammit.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Shbobdb posted:

Well you see religion is a great egalitarian force, here, let me look into the history of Abrahamic religions and we'll see that.... uh... hmm... wow... that's just... you know what, nevermind.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Noam Chomsky posted:

If they keep adding features and new Pokemon it'll never die.

The main issue is they can't or won't add traditional battling since it'd compete with the core Nintendo DS Pokemon games.

If they had battling this game would pretty much kill off the Nintendo DS and force Nintendo to become an app company. Which they should because their hardware just can't compete with the other big two and PC.

3DS's biggest sellers are pokemon titles, yes, but it had a healthy ecosystem for how weirdly it was released, and continues to be released.

But really, if Pokemon Go has 10% of the market penetration in 6 months that it does now, it'll be a big enough moneymaker that nintendo could run its console division as a charity.

Bushiz fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 14, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Zanzibar Ham posted:

She'll say she plays Pokemon GO and her favorite is Agumon.

And lose the election as she should after a comment like this.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

No, this is RBG being awesome as usual and doing the right thing

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How has there not been a " Man is a arrested trying to get a Pokeball at the White House".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SedanChair posted:

God dammit.

Pretty much. This is a huge misstep.

There will be no apology from Trump for his personal insults to her, just gloating that he got in a pissing match with a Supreme Court Justice and made her blink. I'm also guessing that there will be very little in terms of media people giving her the credit for being the bigger person. If anything this will make them double down that she was wrong in the first place and Trump was correct to flip out like a child.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 14, 2016

Crass Casualty
May 9, 2004
The artist formerly known as Iron Stalin

haveblue posted:

There was an article on Vox IIRC at the beginning of the campaigns that I've never been able to find again, arguing exactly this- that the media ecology surrounding US politics is fundamentally reliant on candidates from the parties being superficially comparable. A race between a competent politician and a literal clown is an existential threat to the entire complex so they'll do everything they can to pretend it's not really the case.

I'm still not entirely convinced that Trump's campaign isn't some sort of grotesque performance art. One would figure that this would be entertainment enough, especially considering what we saw in the primary (eg. Trump talking about his dick during a debate). Meanwhile, talking heads on NPR are saying the email thing hurts Hillary somehow, without an exploration of other possible issues surrounding it(like how apparently IT at the White House hasn't been updated since 1975).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NatlParkService/status/752949572058492928

I have a feeling that in six weeks PokemonGO will be dead but I've seen a ton of public services try to use it to increase attendance, and that's cool. The Texas Capitol was innundated with Pokemon GO people yesterday, I'm wonder how many of them were able to visit our confederate heroes memorial and learn about the brave sacrifice of those men to preserve...something, I can't recall.

Doesn't the Park Service run Arlington National Cemetery?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Jarmak posted:

No, this is RBG being awesome as usual and doing the right thing

agreed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

How has there not been a " Man is a arrested trying to get a Pokeball at the White House".

Only because there's a physical fence.

They're going to have to add a process for locations to exempt themselves from pokemon spawning, there are too many stories about private homes and police stations and such besieged by pokemon hunters.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pokemon go is a stupid but fun and enjoyable game that gets people outside and moving. The reaction of "thing bad" by the media is really dumb.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bushiz posted:

Seriously. People fought and died for those freedoms (and I'm saying this unironically) and preventing people from "going places" out of some outdated notion of traditionalism is the antithesis of the idea.

It's like that cartoon of the kid that refused to stand up and do the Pledge of Allegiance, and the teacher introduces him to a crippled Marine that cannot stand up on his own anymore. That the kid is allowed to not make the Pledge is the entire point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

Doesn't the Park Service run Arlington National Cemetery?

They already said don't do it at ANC

Mr Hootington posted:

Pokemon go is a stupid but fun and enjoyable game that gets people outside and moving. The reaction of "thing bad" by the media is really dumb.

The only reaction of thing bad I've seen has been from, surprise surprise, goons

Media loves it, they got all their personal interest stories and viral tweets written for them

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Most of the media I've seen has been fairly positive and talking about getting people outside while also pointing out that maybe don't use it crossing the street or wandering into dark alleys at night looking for ghosts. It's bitter nerds that I've heard the most hate from. It's not a good game but the social phenomena it has caused is absolutely amazing.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

zoux posted:

Yeah, that's why it's kind of a funny mixed message.

Uh, I mean, GODDAMN KENYAN USURPER MAKE UP YOUR MIND :freep:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

zoux posted:

The only reaction of thing bad I've seen has been from, surprise surprise, goons

Media loves it, they got all their personal interest stories and viral tweets written for them

I've seen a bunch of scare stories about car crashes, people being robbed, or business disruption. Most of this seems like outliers that are overreacted too. I do agree goons are the baddies here and are dumb, but maybe it is ironic.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Is there a reaction that thing is bad from the media? I've only seen that from overwrought nerds who can't handle other people enjoying things they think are stupid.

For the record I'm an overwrought nerd that thinks Pokemon Go is dumb as hell, but tons of people like it and it's getting a bunch of people out an excising that otherwise wouldn't be so to each their own.

edit: beaten... badly... twice

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Goons generally hate it because "normies."

I hate it because grownass adults walking around geocaching is as dumb as geocaching was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's a pretty cool phenomenon, I'll be interested to see if it has any legs or if it's just a temporary fad.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

haveblue posted:

Only because there's a physical fence.

They're going to have to add a process for locations to exempt themselves from pokemon spawning, there are too many stories about private homes and police stations and such besieged by pokemon hunters.

this, but they should also allow locations to add themselves at a higher rate. I have heard that places that don't have a lot of cell traffic don't spawn a lot of pokemon, so the more remote national forests don't really have many pokemon in them

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Is there a reaction that thing is bad from the media? I've only seen that from overwrought nerds who can't handle other people enjoying things they think are stupid.

For the record I'm an overwrought nerd that thinks Pokemon Go is dumb as hell, but tons of people like it and it's getting a bunch of people out an excising that otherwise wouldn't be so to each their own.

edit: beaten... badly... twice

I read this as overweight..

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I think it's a pretty cool phenomenon, I'll be interested to see if it has any legs or if it's just a temporary fad.

It's Geocaching, but with nerd appeal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't have any opinions about geocaching.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

For it to have lasting appeal, Nintendo needs to add depth to the game or people will quickly burn out after like a month.

It's coasting on novelty at the moment.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TeenageArchipelago posted:

this, but they should also allow locations to add themselves at a higher rate. I have heard that places that don't have a lot of cell traffic don't spawn a lot of pokemon, so the more remote national forests don't really have many pokemon in them

The game is based on the crowdsourced data they got with Ingress, so there are probably all kinds of things contributing to it.

Man, if they let companies buy temporary spawning bias for promotions the line of money dumptrucks at their door would get twice as long.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

I think the game aspect is quite bad so I'm not sure how long the average person is going to play once they've caught the pokemon they care about considering the shoddy app and servers that are always on fire.. Honestly I don't see it lasting more than a few weeks at this massive level and then shrinking back to the die-hards that feel defending gyms is their personal honor because there's just not enough to do and there's no real goal to strive for. I could easily be wrong though, especially if the company updates it regularly.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I don't have any opinions about geocaching.

My friends got Real into it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WampaLord posted:

For it to have lasting appeal, Nintendo needs to add depth to the game or people will quickly burn out after like a month.

It's coasting on novelty at the moment.

Pokemon Go 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I think it's sort of like Minecraft in that there were several attempts to make a popular voxel/block based building game with survival elements even before it (with Ingress being the other notable ARG), but it's Pokemon Go that has the cultural cache to make a really big, sustainable splash.

• Locked thread