Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alternatively, American-style communist revolution which Stalin hates because, well, Stalin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
HEY GAL have any of your guys been to Eastern Europe? I'm reading a series of articles about the cossack uprisings and it says that Lithuania hired some ex-30YW mercenaries to supplement their very humble army.

Also I found a report on glorious Aryan SS ubermenschen who managed to sustain 50-70% losses on the march because they're morons who can't drive.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

HEY GAL have any of your guys been to Eastern Europe? I'm reading a series of articles about the cossack uprisings and it says that Lithuania hired some ex-30YW mercenaries to supplement their very humble army.
*If Bohemia counts, all of them have fought there at some point and half of them probably come from there
*Gustavus Adolphus fought in the Baltic and Wallenstein sent a few regiments to supplement the Polish/Lithuanians against him
*Russia was actually a thing in this war but I forget what they did
*If Hungary counts, there was a war in Hungary back at the turn of the century that was kind of like the 30yw's Mexican-American War, in that half of the famous people show up there, only on the same side and they're all young and nobody's famous yet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
This is a Polish cossack uprising in modern day Ukraine, so I don't think that was it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

This is a Polish cossack uprising in modern day Ukraine, so I don't think that was it.
well if you run into any guys with the last name Lehman, almost all of the regiments i have data for have at least one Lehman in them so that's probably it

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Harvesting teeth for dentures was the most sickening part to me.

Waste not want not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

This was suuuuuuuper common in the napoleonic era to the point that people would visit fresh battlefields for the sole purpose of harvesting teeth

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was part of a living and a small cottage industry in itself.

It wasn't a big issue back then, a lot of equipment of the dead and the weaponry were reused, hell the wives of soldiers and female camp followers married multiple times as their spouses sadly met their end during the wars.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thomamelas posted:

It depends on how you do it. If I remember correctly the Soviet land lost was in the ballpark of three-quarters of a million square miles. Alaska alone is pretty close to that but I suspect most people don't grasp how big Alaska is. So if I were going to express this in terms most Americans would get, my answer would be 'They invaded Texas, took it, then pushed into Oklahoma and then east east of that, only being stopped in North Carolina at the siege of Charlotte.' Or you could go the other way and say they took The South and part of Texas. I'd have the industry move North for this.

I'm less concerned with getting the square miles right, and more about getting the impact right. The NE united states is the rust belt today because in the 1940s it was the industrial belt. Not to mention a poo poo-ton of productive farmland. Also, most of the industrial cities at the time. Cleveland was like the fourth largest city in the United States.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was part of a living and a small cottage industry in itself.

It wasn't a big issue back then, a lot of equipment of the dead and the weaponry were reused, hell the wives of soldiers and female camp followers married multiple times as their spouses sadly met their end during the wars.
yeah, my guys are the dudes who'll bury everyone naked so they can steal their things, but they don't view human beings as raw material (except the part where you can do magic with body parts), i think that's a specifically modern kind of hosed the hell up. i think you need to invent the modern state and the idea of total war first.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 14, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also I found a report on glorious Aryan SS ubermenschen who managed to sustain 50-70% losses on the march because they're morons who can't drive.

lol what

"Checking your blind spot is a untermenchen thing to do, Franz! WE MUST RISK IT"

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 14, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in their (grudging) defense, wide familiarity with cars is not a big thing in the lives of lots of people back then!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

"Zeuge mich, Blutsack" sounds kinda naughty it should be "bezeuge"

I just realized that I have no idea how they translated all this for the localized version. It has to be hilarious.

"Sei mein Zeuge, Blutbeutel!", according to the German subs online at least.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That's not so bad. In America, dentures were often made from teeth that were obtained by having slave's teeth harvested.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Waste not want not.

Not really any different from organ donation. Except for consent of the next-of-kin, I guess.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Nazi's were only competent in about four things, the ability to lie through their teeth and have people still play along, to blitz through unsuspected countries, to create rockets, and to commit war crimes. Everything else they sucked at in various and interesting ways.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hunt11 posted:

The Nazi's were only competent in about four things, the ability to lie through their teeth and have people still play along, to blitz through unsuspected countries, to create rockets, and to commit war crimes. Everything else they sucked at in various and interesting ways.
uniform design and the stug

edit: the jerrycan is a goddamn beautiful object, a haiku of engineering

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hunt11 posted:

SA military history thread summarized

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

On flag twirl chat, in Switzerland they still do it all the time in parades (though the drums aren't huge). In baden wurttemberg when i lived there not so much. What's your experience of it in germany outside reenactments, Hey Gal?

Edit: apparently the italians are still into it too

NLJP fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 14, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

NLJP posted:

On flag twirl chat, in Switzerland they still do it all the time in parades (though the drums aren't huge). In baden wurttemberg when i lived there not so much. What's your experience of it in germany outside reenactments, Hey Gal?
i have never been to a non-reenactment related parade in either germany or the US

that sounds like exactly System Metternich's thing though, if he's around to ask him

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

yeah, my guys are the dudes who'll bury everyone naked so they can steal their things, but they don't view human beings as raw material (except the part where you can do magic with body parts), i think that's a specifically modern kind of hosed the hell up. i think you need to invent the modern state and the idea of total war first.

Well, teeth for high-quality dentures had to come from somewhere and there weren't too many moral sources for that, but once you get into literally grinding up dead soldierbones to sell as fertilizer it definitely gets into sheer fuckedup territory. In both cases, though, it doesn't seem to have been done by the state directly, but rather by private individuals and companies seeking potential profit whereever they could find it. It wasn't a product of the strong central state or the modern conception of war, but rather the product of emerging industrial capitalism.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i still think you need the idea that human beings are interchangeable, disposable objects first, and that definitely has to do with the modern state, although i agree that capitalism also has a lot to do with it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

SA military history thread summarized

People go overboard on this. They weren't the hyper competent masters of war that wheraboos fap over, but they were more competent at more things than their enemies for quite a while. There are reasons they conquered from Brittany to Leningrad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Trin Tragula posted:

Children's novel The Hobbit, written by 2nd Lieutenant JRR Tolkien (ret'd), late of the 11th (Service) Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers, veteran of the Somme. If ever there was a collection of battles to teach people that you can win on paper and yet it still sucks a whole lot...

This is a very good point.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cyrano4747 posted:

People go overboard on this. They weren't the hyper competent masters of war that wheraboos fap over, but they were more competent at more things than their enemies for quite a while. There are reasons they conquered from Brittany to Leningrad.

The counter- counter-reaction has begun!

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 14, 2016

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

NLJP posted:

There was an awful lot of it in Limburg at their shooting festival.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yesssss

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I got a little bit of an "A Modest Proposal " vibe too.

This has to be the best way to get your mouth haunted.

On the subject of flag twirling, Epcot recently replaced its Romeo & Juliet comedy troupe with Sbandieratori Di Sansepolcro in the Italy pavilion. It's a group that does a display of Tuscan flag throwing in renaissance-style costumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPSNovCGGqs

For comparison, actual flag twirlers in Sansepolcro:

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 14, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

A while ago I mentioned that a really good armored attack needs armor, infantry, artillery and supply all working together. Nobody else managed to get all of that together until the Germans drove the lesson in.

The fuckups in barbarossa up to 1942 for the Germans were Guderian loving up closing pockets by pushing to future goals and not finishing the current battle, Manstein (iirc) launching a dumbass unsupported armor attack in the Crimea (but the followup was brilliantly done), the spearhead towards the oil fields getting distracted and diluted when critical on supplies, an armored push through bad territory to try and cut off the ports Leningrad was supplied through, and committing armor to grind itself down in Stalingrad when the flanks needed a reserve.

That's just about it. For everyone else I'd list the battles where things went right because they're the exception. In that period we have Lelyushenko and Katukov getting a force with modern tanks and some supply and fighting a successful delay action. They couldn't do more because they had modern tanks and some supply and no more. The Moscow counterattacks worked pretty well although they didn't have enough mobility to close their pockets, they still forced the Germans to abandon a lot of materiel. Uranus was the first truly outstanding attack they launched, and Mars showed that even Zhukov wasn't quite there yet.

The biggest German problem was that they didn't have the state or strategy to maintain that excellence, and they did less to remedy their weaknesses than other countries.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
those flags are not very huge though :colbert:

look at these, try to ignore the firing squad

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
"what would the Germans have had to do to win Stalingrad?" "Oh that's way too far into Gay Black Hitler territory, the amount of counterfactuals that'd have to take place makes discussion absurd"

"what if you pitted America... against the entire world!" *2 pages of posts* :catbert:

never change, milhist thread

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

30yw.txt

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Perfectly spherical gay black Sherman in a vacuum. :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

All militaries are varying levels of incompetent, as I leaned from the documentaries The Caine Mutiny and Catch-22

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
look at how they appear to be uprange of their own dwelling places
also look how skinny everyone is, Franck's got a lot of skinny people in his engravings too

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That dog looks skinny as gently caress, is that why it's hanging around all the freshly dead bodies, looking longingly at the next one?

How did people feel about animals etc eating up remains on battlefields etc? Was it just like "eh whatever" or would people try to stop it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Koramei posted:

"what would the Germans have had to do to win Stalingrad?" "Oh that's way too far into Gay Black Hitler territory, the amount of counterfactuals that'd have to take place makes discussion absurd"

"what if you pitted America... against the entire world!" *2 pages of posts* :catbert:

never change, milhist thread

To be fair, it was a really interesting digression. I'd love to read such a story.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

HEY GAL posted:

those flags are not very huge though :colbert:

The starved dog in the foreground really ties the whole piece together.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

That dog looks skinny as gently caress, is that why it's hanging around all the freshly dead bodies, looking longingly at the next one?

How did people feel about animals etc eating up remains on battlefields etc? Was it just like "eh whatever" or would people try to stop it
these people were all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about animals eating remains in cemeteries in the middle of major, highly cultivated cities, what do you think their reaction to the battlefield was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm less concerned with getting the square miles right, and more about getting the impact right. The NE united states is the rust belt today because in the 1940s it was the industrial belt. Not to mention a poo poo-ton of productive farmland. Also, most of the industrial cities at the time. Cleveland was like the fourth largest city in the United States.

I'd have to sit down with a population map for it and figure out percentages. The West Coast kinda screws this up. The 1940's population in California isn't what it is today but it's still pretty big. So if I did it as one invasion from the East Coast, it probably goes a ways into the Midwest. Figure roughly half the country? It would be easier for Canadians since their population is mostly clustered on the US border.

• Locked thread