Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is so much worse than you think

it could only use ata/sata hard drives. no scsi/sas option existed. and you could only buy the hard drives from apple because they were proprietary

you got a source for that? as far as I know, Xserve always used standard 3.5in SATA drives and they would always work

quote:

also back then osx was an even worse unix than it is now. it ran mysql at like 1/10th the performance of linux or solaris. it was just totally useless as a server

turns out that if you built MySQL with the same options as for FreeBSD, it performed just fine

MySQL's "oh, you're building on OS X, here are the options to use" poo poo was broken and for some reason people blamed it on OS X and Mach rather than on the idiots who set up how MySQL built

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Stringent posted:

how do you know which commit a given branch was on when a given build number was built? is the commit hash the build number?

you create a tag with the number of the build you're going to do

then you submit the source as of that tag to the build at your leisure, because any commits after it won't be part of the tag

this is how you should do things no matter what SCM system you're using, your build numbers are just more metadata to record in the repository

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

Linus honestly believes the filesystem not only should be case-insensitive, but that it also shouldn't do any sort of Unicode normalization or decomposition

so he thinks that you should be able to have two files that look like they have an identical name in your repo as long as the byte sequence used to represent them is different

more evidence Linus is nowhere near as smart as he has always thought himself to be

Idk I think being extremely permissive with allowed file names and making it byte based is better than having everything break when people switch encodings.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

eschaton posted:

you create a tag with the number of the build you're going to do

then you submit the source as of that tag to the build at your leisure, because any commits after it won't be part of the tag

this is how you should do things no matter what SCM system you're using, your build numbers are just more metadata to record in the repository

was asking janitor prime how he's doing it.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
write programs to handle text streams, because that is a universal interface

except filenames, those are opaque binary

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

was asking janitor prime how he's doing it.

The build in Jenkins has the commit hash, so anyone can look at the version in my binaries and say I'm on 1.8.3-2 and I can go to Jenkins job 1.8.3 and get the commit hash by looking at build #2

I guess that could bite me in the rear end if Jenkins was deleted or something :shrug:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
iirc you can ask jenkins to create a tag for you once it's finished a build. you can have the best of both worlds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

or you can have Jenkins run a script that just does it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

I use sourcetree and it is needs-suiting

fleshweasel posted:

sourcetree is good for git

if im doing anything besides git add, git commit, git push, i usually do it in sourcetree

it's a lot faster to do blames and poo poo

atlassian sourcetree?

or is there some other sourcetree that doesn't require an atlassian account and that doesn't suck?

tbf, i only tried it for 2-3 minutes before being done, but there was nothing there that felt especially awesome.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what "awesome" features are you expecting out of a gui for source control?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
well i was hoping it was one of those "you'll know when you see it" things

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it just works? :shrug:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i will not take your sourcetree away from you. dont worry, you can keep using it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i just came across some javascript i wrote probably over 10 years ago, before i actually learned javascript, and whoo-wee.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
in other words, i have found the simple project to redo just to learn me a react.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
whoo-wee it's better or whoo-wee it's worse?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

*walks into an outhouse* "whoo-wee"

my guess is its this one

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
well yeah, he said it was javascript. my impression is that the more ppl learn about javascript the worse javascript they write, but maybe that's just me.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

someone on the team is extremely excited about this new language "typescript" they've been reading about

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Wheany posted:

well i was hoping it was one of those "you'll know when you see it" things

i feel like that happened. you saw it and knew it was unnecessary bullshit

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

there's another app being developed that i got nothing to do with, but i get emailed every time they make a new build, and holy poo poo their version numbering is loving painful to look at.
1.1.8 (28)
1.1.9 (28)
1.1.9 (29)
1.2.0 (29)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

HoboMan posted:

someone on the team is extremely excited about this new language "typescript" they've been reading about

The only redeeming feature of Angular 2.0 imho is that it's written in typescript.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Finster Dexter posted:

The only redeeming feature of Angular 2.0 imho is that it's written in typescript.

what are its non-redeeming features

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i use sourcetree for quickly seeing differences between branches & committing specific hunks of code

i use tortoisegit for git log/blame

i use the command line for everything else

that's my git

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

JawnV6 posted:

no, your cameras on the wrong side

:psyboom:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

HoboMan posted:

there's another app being developed that i got nothing to do with, but i get emailed every time they make a new build, and holy poo poo their version numbering is loving painful to look at.
1.1.8 (28)
1.1.9 (28)
1.1.9 (29)
1.2.0 (29)

they should just be changing the build version, not the marketing version, until 1.1.8 ships

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

eschaton posted:

they should just be changing the build version, not the marketing version, until 1.1.8 ships

i don't think they know what any of those numbers are supposed to mean

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tryin to make a dirt simple preprocessor
realizin im wretched at computers

string janitoring is really tiresome

Bloody fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 14, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Bloody posted:

tryin to make a dirt simple preprocessor
realizin im wretched at computers

your code is a dirt sample

today's Difficult Engineering Decision is what to do about this legacy app that shits the bed in mysterious ways with manually-implemented linked lists

do we prefer infinite loops, segfaults, or memory leaks?

the answer is memory leaks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this is what happens when every interview question is "manually implement this data structure"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

not exactly a hard choice when two options mean immediate freezing or crashing while the third can be fixed by scheduling a program restart every x hours

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i'm terrified of the day i might have to architect a product or restructure a faulty design for an interview

from my lovely little standalone app i made i have realized i haven't made any real decisions about a program should be structured in a very long time and i have no idea what i'm doing in that situation

luckily that interview will likely never occur. except if there was a place that asked those kind of questions i would probably want to work there

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like how the hell does this language not already have a preprocessor

i guess maybe the non poo poo tier vendors have their own preprocessors? idk

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Mr Dog posted:

what are its non-redeeming features

The big one is that it's a pjavascript framework.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like sourcetree because it pretty much maps to the actual git commands instead of trying to invent its own git idioms and stuff. it represents common and useful flags as checkboxes and text fields and poo poo and it pretty much just helps you do the right thing.

I'm getting a little more adept with command line git but I think only using command line git from day one is just masochistic

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

only using command line git from day one is just masochistic

hi

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

HoboMan posted:

typescript is a major improvement on javascript IME

it's not really a "new" language though. just what it says on the tin - a type-checked version of js. for big projects that can make all the difference

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gidioms

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

NihilCredo posted:

why is HEAD always written in all caps, and please tell me it's case sensitive because that would be the most unixy thing ever

lowercase head would look like a branch name. special names should always be namespaced different from user-defined names, and making it all-caps is a terse unixy way of doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

I like sourcetree because it pretty much maps to the actual git commands instead of trying to invent its own git idioms and stuff. it represents common and useful flags as checkboxes and text fields and poo poo and it pretty much just helps you do the right thing.

I'm getting a little more adept with command line git but I think only using command line git from day one is just masochistic

i'd like sourcetree more if it were open source. not out of zealotry but out of the fact that it's buggy and lacking many simple features, for example you can't do git push --force, at least in the windows version, because they feel that force pushing is bad

• Locked thread