Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What is duwang? Also seeing super old Joseph makes me hope in later parts Jotaro dies or ages of screen so I don't have to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

What is duwang? Also seeing super old Joseph makes me hope in later parts Jotaro dies or ages of screen so I don't have to deal with it.

Original english translations of Part 4 with terrible english.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

EmmyOk posted:

What is duwang?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

duwang is the original, hilariously bad translation of part 4. done by a chinese student learning english, translating the comic from the chinese translation into a new english translation

thus:

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 14, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EmmyOk posted:

Duwang is the Chinese pronunciation of Morioh, it comes from the old scans of part 4 that were taken from the Chinese version. It was an accurate translation that was written by someone who did not know English or Japanese very well.

There are better scans now but for a long time Duwang was the only option, do people still make jokes about it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We're not at the first panel yet don't ruin the moment!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Jotaro: Josuke, go out with me.

Josuke: Eh? Love confession!? Well, I don't know what to do.

Jotaro: Go out hunting.

Josuke: Go "hiking"!? Chasing each other in a grass field with breeze "Wait, wait~" "Please catch me~"

Jotaro: Are you satisfied? Then let's go.

Jotaro please stop flirting with your uncle, this isn't Fire Emblem.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

We're not at the first panel yet don't ruin the moment!

my bad

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My god those translations are incredible! I heard people mentioned before they didn't like Part 5 in part because it was translated so poorly, is that still the case?

RE: Jotaro Hat Chat I loved that he got a new bright white hat that somehow merges with his hair still.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

he expertly uses shoe polish on the tears to create a pristine white to hair colour gradient.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

EmmyOk posted:

My god those translations are incredible! I heard people mentioned before they didn't like Part 5 in part because it was translated so poorly, is that still the case?

RE: Jotaro Hat Chat I loved that he got a new bright white hat that somehow merges with his hair still.

The part 5 translation was different beast. While Duwang guy didn't know english very well, the part 5 guys didn't know Japanese very well, resulting in the translation being devoid of character and actively making poo poo up at times. There is a new translation going on that's about halfway through part 5, and it's updating at a good pace.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The part five translations were grammatically correct but were very inaccurate to the original Japanese, and also were poorly written with the kind of stilted awkwardness you see in bad fanficton a lot, so they had the double hit of being fatiguing to read and flat out wrong often without being obviously bad.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The old translation for Part 4 is entertaining and accurate once you clean up the obvious errors. The old translation for Part 5 is dry, boring and a slog to read and inaccurate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The old translation for Part 4 is entertaining and accurate once you clean up the obvious errors.

Fun fact, the good translation for Part 4 is basically just cleaned up Duwang.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also the typesetting for the old scans is bad, so it looks even more like an amateur job.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Jotaro: Josuke, go out with me.

Josuke: Eh? Love confession!? Well, I don't know what to do.

Jotaro: Go out hunting.

Josuke: Go "hiking"!? Chasing each other in a grass field with breeze "Wait, wait~" "Please catch me~"

Jotaro: Are you satisfied? Then let's go.

Still not as gay as Battle Tendency

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Begemot posted:

Duwang is the Chinese pronunciation of Morioh, it comes from the old scans of part 4 that were taken from the Chinese version. It was an accurate translation that was written by someone who did not know English or Japanese very well.

There are better scans now but for a long time Duwang was the only option, do people still make jokes about it.

I'm still sad that they fixed that one because it's so funny.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Don't even front like there's anything less than perfect with this panel.

Edit: it's not even that it's funny (although it is, riotously so), but it's accurate to Okuyasu's character! He's exactly the kind of screwball who'd awkwardly confuse his speech after getting emotional.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 14, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

duwang is the original, hilariously bad translation of part 4. done by a chinese student learning english, translating the comic from the chinese translation into a new english translation

thus:

Also, that one's an edit, I believe.

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers

EmmyOk posted:

there are stand powers in part 5 that are infamous for being impossible to comprehend because the translation mishandled/overexplained them

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

ibts posted:

there are stand powers in part 5 that are infamous for being impossible to comprehend because the translation mishandled/overexplained them

I'm an anime only plebian but is this Stand one of them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kAMeHVzBA

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Also, that one's an edit, I believe.

ah, i wouldn't know. what's the origin of get a feeling so complicated then?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah thats the one

ninjewtsu posted:

ah, i wouldn't know. what's the origin of get a feeling so complicated then?
It's Duwang, the "I feel so attacked" part is the edit.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

ChaosArgate posted:

Fun fact, the good translation for Part 4 is basically just cleaned up Duwang.

Wait, by this do you mean that it's not even much of a re-translation from scratch, and is instead using Duwang as a base?

Because if so that's actually really cool and also funny

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Good part 4 translation is an actual good translation but it retains all of the funny duwangisms for people who read the original translation we got

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah Duwang is actually a good translation of Japanese, but poor English grammar. It improves as it goes on too, so the last volume of Part 4 is practically totally fine

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It bugs the poo poo out of me when people make up random poo poo english for their fan art/panel edits and then call it duwang when duwang is a very clearly defined, actual thing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Terrence D'arby's ridiculously advanced 80's video games are the weirdest thing in Part 3.

JAGGERS

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

are there still people doing fansubs for part 4 with Duwang translations?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Yeah Duwang is actually a good translation of Japanese, but poor English grammar. It improves as it goes on too, so the last volume of Part 4 is practically totally fine

That one line had better be word for loving word

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember reading /a/ after the first episode, if I remember right, and some dude was saying "I hope david insert duwang lines into the episodes in Japanese" and that there was a good chance they would because it's "famous"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How would you even do that in Japanese

It would just be the lines

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think most people who watch anime in the west

Know anything about the Japanese language

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Why would it even matter to the Japanese?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"We are going to honor these technically illegal English translations of the manga in our anime yessiree."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Baal posted:

I don't think most people who watch anime in the west

Know anything about the Japanese language
buddy you are right, nerds are dumb af about japanese

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

How would you even do that in Japanese

It would just be the lines

Still trying to figure that out myself.

Moltrey posted:

buddy you are right, nerds are dumb af about japanese

I think you'll find i'm dumb af about all things

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's alright Aurain, I will accept you of all ur faults regardless

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yokatta, yokatta, Aurain-san.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

"We are going to honor these technically illegal English translations of the manga in our anime yessiree."

Well I mean crunchyroll got big

you could probably defend duwang as a parody anyway.

• Locked thread