Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also, what happens when I'm living out in the wilderness and I run out of dental floss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Goodpancakes posted:

Yeah, this is sort of the point. You'll do more for a revolt by being able to frame and push a narrative with social media then you ever would with small arms ownership. Your hunting rifle isn't going to be doing much good against drones and tanks.

the point of guerilla warfare is not to be victorious, it's to make the occupier bleed until occupation is no longer sustainable

no poo poo my small arm rifle is no good against a tank but the point is to make the enemy fearful every time they go out on patrol because someone might take potshots at them or they might stumble across a home made explosive

no one in the ME is doing much good against drones and US tanks either but that didn't stop public opinion here from turning against the war and demanding we pull out.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

Mozi posted:

Also, what happens when I'm living out in the wilderness and I run out of dental floss?

You surrender

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

the point of guerilla warfare is not to be victorious, it's to make the occupier bleed until occupation is no longer sustainable

no poo poo my small arm rifle is no good against a tank but the point is to make the enemy fearful every time they go out on patrol because someone might take potshots at them or they might stumble across a home made explosive

no one in the ME is doing much good against drones and US tanks either but that didn't stop public opinion here from turning against the war and demanding we pull out.

Do you want it to be legal for people to stockpile bombs?

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
it's hard to explain anything about revolution to the english because they have been cowed for so long

gave up your swords but didn't give up your kings lmbo

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bitterandtwisted posted:

I assume you want it to be legal for people to stockpile bombs

Do you want it to be legal for people to stockpile bombs?

you don't need to be able to stockpile bombs to be able to make an IED

hell high school chemistry should have enabled you to make some pretty nasty things out of basic home supplies like cleaning chemicals and stuff

rezatahs posted:

it's hard to explain anything about revolution to the english because they have been cowed for so long

gave up your swords but didn't give up your kings lmbo

heh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
plus you forget that most servicemen have families living near where they are stationed (wives, kids, whatever), they aren't going to just have 0 problem shelling civilians.

can't shoot a howitzer into oceanside without hitting a military relation of some sort

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

you don't need to be able to stockpile bombs to be able to make an IED

hell high school chemistry should have enabled you to make some pretty nasty things out of basic home supplies like cleaning chemicals and stuff

heh

yeah, but people get busted for that. surely you agree people shouldn't be imprisoned for defending themselves against tyranny?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

why do gun nuts gravitate to every uk thread like flies to poo poo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

maybe the uk is poo poo??

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
It's loving weird but you're right

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Fran軋is.
Meanwhile, you can now say Britcoin.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36785872

quote:

The government has quietly launched a bold experiment using the technology behind the virtual currency Bitcoin - and, if anybody notices, it could prove hugely controversial. That is because the trial involves the payment of benefits and could conceivably involve very sensitive data being made public - or at least that's the concern of some critics.

There is a huge amount of excitement around now about the Blockchain, with endless academic studies and a good deal of investment reinforcing the belief that a permanent ever-expanding and tamper-proof online ledger of transactions must have all sorts of wider applications.

Earlier this year the government's chief scientific advisor Mark Walport wrote a report on blockchain - :frogsiren: or distributed ledger technology :frogsiren: - which was enthusiastic about its potential to produce "disruptive innovations that could transform the delivery of public and private services and enhance productivity through a wide range of applications." He recommended that the government should back trials of the technology while also looking carefully at the security and privacy implications of using it.

Up to 24 welfare claimants will use an app provided by a company called Govcoin to track their spending.

Preoptopus posted:

I cant believe you guys made BoJo the foreign minister.
Jalopnik published an amazing article about what a poo poo head he is.

http://jalopnik.com/boris-johnson-was-the-worst-car-writer-of-all-time-1782585202

BoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

bitterandtwisted posted:

yeah, but people get busted for that. surely you agree people shouldn't be imprisoned for defending themselves against tyranny?

whoa whoa whoa

so you're saying that a tyrannical government would likely imprison someone found conspiring or enabling overthrow of that tyranny? is that actually a thing that happens?

this could change everything guys

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
I cant believe you guys made BoJo the foreign minister.
Jalopnik published an amazing article about what a poo poo head he is.

quote:

的t was as though the whole county of Hampshire was lying back and opening her well-bred legs to be ravished by the Italian stallion.

http://jalopnik.com/boris-johnson-was-the-worst-car-writer-of-all-time-1782585202

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bitterandtwisted posted:

well considering we aren't under occupation and our military isn't shooting at us and we have rule of law nah that dude should go to jail if he is trying to bomb people

if there were Chinese soldiers in California and some got caught in an IED I can't say I'd be too pissed about it though

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Why would the Chinese invade America?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

plain blue jacket posted:

To farm all the fat and blubber from them all.
Wait until whales go extinct. There will be Chinese fishing Rascals moored outside of Walmarts...

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
When you read about Britain in the whole 1800's it can get pretty depressing. They beat Napoleon and forged and empire but boy, do the living conditions for the "commoners", especially in cities, sucked rear end. And somehow, the nobles, managed to focus all that negativity outside of the country. Pissed off ? Join the Redcoats and vent your frustration on the foreigners.

Wellington himself called them "scum of the Earth" and they still fought and died for him. They were chastised even for doing a bit of sacking after sacrificing so much, like at Badajoz and Vitoria!!! gently caress blue bloods forever and bless whoever kills them.

Maybe the key to having a peaceful society is to convince young men to join the military and then finding something for them to kill.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

plain blue jacket posted:

idk man we're in hypothetical land. why would 1/3rd of the US population be in open rebellion?

Decebal posted:

gently caress blue bloods forever and bless whoever kills them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Maybe they should all dig into a nice, piping hot eel pie and forget all their troubles.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Decebal posted:

When you read about Britain in the whole 1800's it can get pretty depressing. They beat Napoleon and forged and empire but boy, do the living conditions for the "commoners", especially in cities, sucked rear end. And somehow, the nobles, managed to focus all that negativity outside of the country. Pissed off ? Join the Redcoats and vent your frustration on the foreigners.

Wellington himself called them "scum of the Earth" and they still fought and died for him. They were chastised even for doing a bit of sacking after sacrificing so much, like at Badajoz and Vitoria!!! gently caress blue bloods forever and bless whoever kills them.

Maybe the key to having a peaceful society is to convince young men to join the military and then finding something for them to kill.

Different concepts back then though.
Most people never traveled more than 50 miles from their home in their life. And news was not readily upto date or such. And definitely they weren't told the same poo poo that the blue bloods were being told, or said.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the main use of the royal family is to make other countries feel uncomfortable

Is there a person who thinks this picture is not cool and good? If Mongolia gets to build statues of Genghis Khan, then there is no harm with the Brits retaining some vestigial structures of their global evil empire.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bitterandtwisted posted:

Make Britain great again

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Rotacixe posted:

Is there a person who thinks this picture is not cool and good? If Mongolia gets to build statues of Genghis Khan, then there is no harm with the Brits retaining some vestigial structures of their global evil empire.

lol look at that pencil-necked bitch. then again i supposed in the genetic island that's britain you would look at a guy like that and think yeah this dude deserves wealth and status far beyond that of the average commoner because their blood is clearly better.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imo the princes should have to defend their title every few years in a royal rumble with a bunch of commoners

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

imo the princes should have to defend their title every few years in a royal rumble with a bunch of commoners

I like this. We could do it for the Presidency of the US as well. A no holds barred throw down. It would certainly show who was the most determined to run the country. Or in the royalties case, leech off their country and act like they have some sort of worth.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

rezatahs posted:

lol look at that pencil-necked bitch. then again i supposed in the genetic island that's britain you would look at a guy like that and think yeah this dude deserves wealth and status far beyond that of the average commoner because their blood is clearly better.

It is more fair that the game is fixed and everyone knows it, than letting the random perturbations of atoms sort out the guys who get to call themselves winners. I am against all entropy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you could say that at least the royals represent the upper crust that the commoners can always rail against or blame for their woes, but in America where the narrative is 'if only you try hard enough you can make it' your failures are entirely your own (in society's view) and the full weight of your lovely life bears directly down on you. at least the blue bloods in the UK serve as a punching bag.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 14, 2016

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
So are people all "My lord" "My lady" over there because that's pretty funny

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ElGroucho posted:

So are people all "My lord" "My lady" over there because that's pretty funny

not really

instead middle class people spend their time pretending to be disdainful of royals but as soon as a baron comes along they knock each other out to be first in line to shove their tongues up his rear end. every office middle-manager aspires to be a sir one day but none of them ever will be
our country's rich people go to school with the royals and the poors never meet one unless they're watching a motorcade or something

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol what a sad state of affairs

at least politicians here will shake your hand, even if they are the president and you're just some schmoe

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Britain is obsessed with class. It's why Murdoch hates us more than the US, because no matter how much power, money an influence he wields, he can't use them to get onto the same level of social standing as the upper crust lot.

Upper-middle well to do types want so badly to be part of a neo-aristocracy. I know this from experience. They buy places at the Royal enclosure at ascot and pay to have a family seal made with a cute Latin motto. Favourite jobs include: finance, high ranking military, and just generally owning things and sitting on their arse all day.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Moridin920 posted:

lol what a sad state of affairs

at least politicians here will shake your hand, even if they are the president and you're just some schmoe

if you do anything vaguely political or work in a public service you'll eventually encounter a baron. they're usually nice enough to the working stiffs. the middle class types are real fuckers though on the whole, I think they know deep down that they're the same kind of scum as the workers and have to act like real assholes to show each other that they're better.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Moridin920 posted:

the average fat schlub isn't going to be revolting anyway. typically only 20-30% of the population needs to be pissed to make a revolt happen.

Most Americans are too fat and/or lazy to revolt. Revolutions are a lot of work and discomfort. Lots of cardio activities.

Then again most of a revolutions leg work is done by the young, and young Americans aren't all fat. Still fairly lazy and privileged though. I don't thnk they could sustain the effort to revolt for more than a few days.

Oh this is the Brit thread. How fat and lazy are the Brits?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

pretty fat and lazy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you're all mentally ill and ravingly nationalistic

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

let's just say that if an eel managed to escape the pie it'd probably make it to the thames

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Rotacixe posted:

Pretty sure this is that one island in the south pacific that has a sect of people that think prince Phillip is a literal God after he visited once and everything started being awesome after he left.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

you're all mentally ill and ravingly nationalistic

Nothing wrong with loving your country friend !

• Locked thread