Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yeah I know. I was just wondering if any in particular have proven to be "the best". I'm currently using an MSI Gaming card and I'm pretty happy with it. My case has good flow and I have an AIO liquid cooler on my CPU. I was really just curious if any particular card was a "buy this one you idiot" kind of deal that I had missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
God even 480s are sold out.

Quick question, is my 3350p ( little faster than a 2500k ) going to bottleneck a RX 480 or 1060?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Digital Jesus posted:

Oh yeah I know. I was just wondering if any in particular have proven to be "the best". I'm currently using an MSI Gaming card and I'm pretty happy with it. My case has good flow and I have an AIO liquid cooler on my CPU. I was really just curious if any particular card was a "buy this one you idiot" kind of deal that I had missed.

Not really, extra power phases and power delivery don't seem to make any difference in how high the GPU will clock so it mostly come down to thermals and noise and pretty much all the cards I have seen so far deliver decent to great thermals with low to extremely low noise.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Xeom posted:

Quick question, is my 3350p ( little faster than a 2500k ) going to bottleneck a RX 480 or 1060?

It might in some specific games that use a lot of CPU time but in most cases no.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Digital Jesus posted:

1070s seem to range from ~739 to 899 here in Australia. Are any in particular worth spending the extra money?

Blower coolers provide another opening for spiders to crawl into your case

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the deal here? Are Kepler GPUs already not getting driver updates? This looks like broken drivers more than anything else. Either that or GCN 1.0 was the most forward looking architecture in all of computing history.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Hurray my 1070 came in! I knew this card was going to be bigger, but holy poo poo:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-amp-extreme#spec

325mm x 148mm, "2.5" slots. Also pretty drat heavy. I might have to come up with some way to add extra support for the weight, or lay my case on it's side.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the deal here? Are Kepler GPUs already not getting driver updates? This looks like broken drivers more than anything else. Either that or GCN 1.0 was the most forward looking architecture in all of computing history.

GCN is actually a really good architecture, it's just had really bad drivers with tons of overhead killing performance for much of its life.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I wouldn't rule out broken Kepler drivers, but don't forget the whole aim of DX12/Vulkan was to make the driver as small and simple as possible.

Most of the responsibility for hardware tuning is now on the game developer, and most developers aren't going to spend much time tuning for dead architectures.

welcome to the future of pc gaming

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Twerk from Home posted:

I think the general conclusion has been that yes, GCN is and was a very forward-looking architecture while AMD's DX11 and particularly OpenGL drivers are/were so bad that they left piles of performance on the table in certain use cases.

DX12 and Vulkan take the responsibility for performance mostly away from drivers and puts it on to the game engines. Clearly the id Tech 6 developers know what they're doing. The fact that both major consoles use a GCN GPU probably doesn't hurt either as far as devs knowing how to work with them at a low level.

e:f;b

edit2: Oh yea, what I came here for.

Anyone else having GeForce Experience refuse to even try to optimize with a config that should work?

Did they stop supporting SLI with this? Obviously I wouldn't blame 'em, but it would be nice to get some notice if that's the case rather than having things just stop working.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 14, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The list of Nvidia optimized games is shrinking because consoles.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Anecdotal evidence time: Vulkan got me a much bigger boost than I was expecting on Doom, and i'm surprised. On a 2500K @ 4.2GHz and an MSI custom cooled R9-290, it got me from ~50-70 FPS on just below ultra to 60-80 FPS on real ultra settings. If the low-CPU overhead render pathways become more common, I'm going to be able to ride this 2500K until the heat death of the universe.

:hfive: 2500k OC'd buddy! These chips from 2011 are still holding up pretty well today.

I'm currently on a HD 6870 from the same year, and looking to upgrade to a 1070. Thinking about waiting until 1) prices / supply have stabilized, and 2) maybe get a free game with it? I might be waiting a while on that second one, but I'd like to get one maybe sometime this month or next.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

wolrah posted:

Anyone else having GeForce Experience refuse to even try to optimize with a config that should work?

Did they stop supporting SLI with this? Obviously I wouldn't blame 'em, but it would be nice to get some notice if that's the case rather than having things just stop working.

I think that GFE's optimization tool is all over the place and inaccurate more often than not. For instance it suggested that I only run DA: Inquisition, a two-year old game, on High settings, yet recommends maxed out Ultra + VXAO for Tomb Raider on a 980ti. Reading the in-depth performance guides that Nvidia puts out for more graphically demanding titles gives you a much clearer picture of what you can and should adjust.

I've been reading that lot of current gen games just flat out aren't utilizing SLI at all and that it's probably no longer worth it.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
So while there is not a free game promotion on the 10x0 cards right now I did get a $50 off coupon for HelloFresh.com with my Newegg order.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CloFan posted:

:hfive: 2500k OC'd buddy! These chips from 2011 are still holding up pretty well today.

I'm currently on a HD 6870 from the same year, and looking to upgrade to a 1070. Thinking about waiting until 1) prices / supply have stabilized, and 2) maybe get a free game with it? I might be waiting a while on that second one, but I'd like to get one maybe sometime this month or next.

Xeom posted:

Running a 1070 with a 2500k @ 4.4GHZ. Getting 80-100 on Doom on Ultra settings at 1440p, basically every game's FPS doubled on me coming from a 770. If a game is very CPU-bound it obviously won't skyrocket up, but everything has improved significantly.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wicka posted:

if your socket A chip wasn't cooled by a tornado+SLK-900, wow

I had the Thermalright SI-97A version with I think a120mm fan on it, pushed my Athlon XP-M 2200+ to 2.3Ghz on that bad boy and it was rock solid

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

exquisite tea posted:

I think that GFE's optimization tool is all over the place and inaccurate more often than not. For instance it suggested that I only run DA: Inquisition, a two-year old game, on High settings, yet recommends maxed out Ultra + VXAO for Tomb Raider on a 980ti. Reading the in-depth performance guides that Nvidia puts out for more graphically demanding titles gives you a much clearer picture of what you can and should adjust.

I've been reading that lot of current gen games just flat out aren't utilizing SLI at all and that it's probably no longer worth it.

I'm lazy and it usually did a good baseline in the past. I always still tweak and tune a bit on my own if it's not a "max everything out and its fine" game.

In this case I was trying to use it because I had reinstalled Splinter Cell (free on uPlay today for some reason) and someone said GFE would do the INI hacks required to use it at modern resolutions automatically rather than me having to do it myself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I forget but is forcing a resolution something you can do with NV Inspector?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

bigmandan posted:

Hurray my 1070 came in! I knew this card was going to be bigger, but holy poo poo:

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-amp-extreme#spec

325mm x 148mm, "2.5" slots. Also pretty drat heavy. I might have to come up with some way to add extra support for the weight, or lay my case on it's side.

Jesus that's a long card! According to Corsair, my 550D has a max gpu length of 318, and the tower I was planning on getting, the 750D, is the same. Looks like I'm back to square 1 on my next build :v:

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

Jesus that's a long card! According to Corsair, my 550D has a max gpu length of 318, and the tower I was planning on getting, the 750D, is the same. Looks like I'm back to square 1 on my next build :v:

Fortunately my drive bays are removable to give me extra room.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ak Gara posted:

Just use some metal snips and make it fit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I know it doesn't look pretty but I'm happy to have an ATX case. It's good for my dumb clumsy fingers and I never have to worry about cable management or cooling around these school bus-sized cards.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

exquisite tea posted:

I know it doesn't look pretty but I'm happy to have an ATX case. It's good for my dumb clumsy fingers and I never have to worry about cable management or cooling around these school bus-sized cards.

I agree with this. I like the form factor of mATX cases but after owning two of them then going to a full tower I don't want to go back. I'm too much of a clumsy gently caress for it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bigmandan posted:

So while there is not a free game promotion on the 10x0 cards right now I did get a $50 off coupon for HelloFresh.com with my Newegg order.

I got that too, interestingly my Jet.com RX 480 was fulfilled by NewEgg. My boyfriend loves all those mail order cook-it-yourself meals like Blue Apron so I'll probably use the coupon.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

But cutting yourself and leaving tablespoons of blood on the inside of your PC case is part of the experience

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

But cutting yourself and leaving tablespoons of blood on the inside of your PC case is part of the experience

They should make a knife set from old PC cases and shards of PCBs, they'd put Ginsu out of business.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I remember one of my first PC builds, more than a decade ago. I was putting in an I/O shield that was a tight fit and required a good amount of presssure... my fingers slipped, and I gouged my cuticle on one of the little metal tabs. That fucker bled and bled, didn't stop bleeding for like 2 hours. Obviously it wasn't the only christened-with-blood build, but it sure did hurt the most.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xeom posted:

It's slower than a stock 2500k, surely (3.3 vs 3.7 stock turbo), and everyone overclocks their 2500k. So I personally think you'll get the itch to upgrade that sooner than a 2500k owner would with their chip at 4.4+

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ak Gara posted:

Most of them are 10.5" / 267mm, just don't buy a weird one.

CloFan posted:

I remember one of my first PC builds, more than a decade ago. I was putting in an I/O shield that was a tight fit and required a good amount of presssure... my fingers slipped, and I gouged my cuticle on one of the little metal tabs. That fucker bled and bled, didn't stop bleeding for like 2 hours. Obviously it wasn't the only christened-with-blood build, but it sure did hurt the most.

In my experience blood christening is important to trouble free operation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

When I was putting together my last PC it was 90 degrees in our apartment and a drop of sweat landed square on the CPU as I was applying the thermal paste. A tense moment in computer lore.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I want to get a GTX 1080, and I have two questions:

What's the difference with the founder's edition, and how the gently caress are you supposed to get one of these things

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

my HTPC is in an old lovely mATX case, last time i got done working on it i realized both index fingers were covered in dried blood

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

bigmandan posted:

I do worry about card sag screwing up the actual slot, my 970 looked like it would fall over. I ended up putting a zip tie between the cooler and part of the case to prop it up. Some dude used to make little risers that did this but had no stock when I wanted one so I just did the cheap and easy thing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

man nurse posted:

What's the difference with the founder's edition, and how the gently caress are you supposed to get one of these things

The FE is more expensive and worse, and you pay out the rear end or wait.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Latest OpenCL driver just added support for Vega 11 and Raven1X, and appear to share the same uarch. I was reading up on 3DCenter and all though kind of hobbled by Google translate, seems they're speculating Vega 10 is the RX490 and Vega 11 is the new Fury, both using cutdown dies for consumers while full dies are used for HPC.

I guess the more exciting news is that Raven being a Vega offshoot strengthens the possibility of HBM enabled APUs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

man nurse posted:

Don't get a founders addition unless you really, really need a blower-type cooler. You probably don't.

Keep an eye on this (if you are in the US)
http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/

I expect it would only take a few days to find an AIB if you setup alerts.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the other hand,I saw an awesome mini itx build with water cooled cpu and gpu and now I want to go from full towers to tiny builds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

On the other hand,I saw an awesome mini itx build with water cooled cpu and gpu and now I want to go from full towers to tiny builds.

Same, just because I could actually take my vive to demo at other places. My pc is way too big to bother atm.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Futuremark just released their DX12 benchmark, Time Spy. It's available in the free version of 3DMark.

Downloading it now :)

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I want to custom make an itx case to fit in a minimum space with a CLC CPU and Fury X type cooler set up as a 120mm wind tunnel. I bet that would make a crazy small case that can be run real quiet.