Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Your answer is simple. The game is bad

I've actually really come around to it. Someone told me to play as Pharah to get a better idea of sneaky verticality, and yeah, turns out there's actually a lot of it, and it really makes the maps more interesting.

Like, DE_Dust has those two routes that open out either end into more routes, and everyone knows how it's going to play out and so can bluff / double bluff / set traps etc, which is cool and good. The more you play overwatch, the more points in the maps start to feel like that, where coming from a clever angle at an odd time can win a round. At first it all just feels random and kind of bullshit.

I still don't like blizzards approach to visual language though. They try and make everything look like it's part of the level, so you've no idea if you can say fly over a particular building or destroy a particular part of terrain just by looking at it, and this has a material impact on the gameplay.

This adds up to it actually having a pretty high barrier to entry (before it's a good game) and everything before that is kind if poo poo. But everything about the game screams at you "this is it! You've mastered it all!" Right out the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Don't believe him. When I was waking from anesthesia I saw Dr Tim and his hygienist logging out of Overwatch.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
One thing I don't get though, why are symmetra and torbjorn different class? They're identical in purpose? Turret, armor, poo poo close range gun? Also, why does it ever say 'no builder'? Like, does the computer get mad if he doesn't get to control part of your team? Seems so arbitrary. Maybe the game IS bad after all?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm a dentist, you piece of poo poo.
If you're not still paying off your student loans, you should splurge on a cool overwatch av.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

!Klams posted:

One thing I don't get though, why are symmetra and torbjorn different class? They're identical in purpose? Turret, armor, poo poo close range gun? Also, why does it ever say 'no builder'? Like, does the computer get mad if he doesn't get to control part of your team? Seems so arbitrary. Maybe the game IS bad after all?
Whoa whoa. You're overthinking this, guy.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Germstore posted:

Don't believe him. When I was waking from anesthesia I saw Dr Tim and his hygienist logging out of Overwatch.

If I still had my label maker, I would label you something very rude.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

If I still had my label maker, I would label you something very rude.
But nobody would understand a label that just says "Overwatch"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

CrashCat posted:

But nobody would understand a label that just says "Overwatch"
They'd flash you the horns and say "Overwatch rules!"

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i like the game

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

phasmid posted:

They'd flash you the horns and say "Overwatch rules!"

well, that is kind of rude

social vegan posted:

i like the game

i also enjoy bad things, like cheeseburgers and passing a giant fart

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

CrashCat posted:

i also enjoy bad things, like cheeseburgers and passing a giant fart

Neither of those are bad, though.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i play mercy and help my friends in time of need

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

!Klams posted:

Computers work very hard and they like to unwind by playing video games too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Batterypowered7 posted:

Neither of those are bad, though.
ask your doctor and anyone near the fart

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

!Klams posted:

short range gun? lol if you can't snipe with torb's rivet gun. that thing rekz

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

You can tell this game is bad by the way its fans call people who want more depth from their games autists. Like it's autistic to want something to be higher quality. Just eat the garbage like the rest of us, retard.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

You can tell this game is bad by the way its fans call people who want more depth from their games autists. Like it's autistic to want something to be higher quality. Just eat the garbage like the rest of us, retard.

no, it's autistic to think more complicated always equals better.

Germstore fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 14, 2016

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

no, it's autistic to think move complicated always equals better.

pretty sure he gets called autistic because he is autistic

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

rezatahs posted:

pretty sure he gets called autistic because he is autistic

Aren't we all on the spectrum by virtue of posting on these forums?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rezatahs posted:

short range gun? lol if you can't snipe with torb's rivet gun. that thing rekz

Well, as I mentioned on the previous page I've got some crazy input lag, but from what I'm reading it's down to maybe the display size in Windows (lol stupid 4k monitor #humblebrag etc) So no, I cant snipe for poo poo and it's infuriating.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nanomashoes posted:

I wouldn't call it autistic but it's absolutely missing the point to gripe about the depth. The game is to FPS what Hearthstone is to card games, it's intentional and it's not gonna be 'deepened' until a few months in just like they did with that game.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gonna deepen my disdain for this bad game

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Four out of five doctors recommend Overwatch. Dr. Tim is the fifth doctor.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

Four out of five doctors recommend Overwatch. Dr. Tim is the fifth doctor.

dentists aren't real doctors

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

CrashCat posted:

I wouldn't call it autistic but it's absolutely missing the point to gripe about the depth. The game is to FPS what Hearthstone is to card games, it's intentional and it's not gonna be 'deepened' until a few months in just like they did with that game.

Oh, so it's a bad game?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW7X_q8DvSI

Game is butts

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Nanomashoes posted:

Oh, so it's a bad game?

Indubitably

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Grandma found a sniper rifle guys

amazing

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

social vegan posted:

i like the game

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nanomashoes posted:

Oh, so it's a bad game?
yes, deliberately

:shrug:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Thank you.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

!Klams posted:

Yeah, but then my monitor has gsync, so maybe it's that? Dunno it's really odd. I'll see if maybe it's something to do with my graphics cards settings rather than the settings within the game, but I'm pretty sure the cards are set to 'performance'.

do you have multiple pre-rendered frames in your video driver settings? that can cause input lag

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
maybe your computer is hesitant to render a bad game

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
overwatch is a game designed to be as appealing as possible to a wide audience and in true blizzard fashion it is deceptively simple. im not saying its some brilliant tactical shooter because its not, but no poo poo you played the game for 30 minutes and it looks like babbys first shooter its designed to get people into it that dont play shooters

trust me tho just play it and switch characters a bunch even if you think its too dumb and designed for retards (because it is, and half of the characters are bad). thats what i thought and now i have like 20 hours in it. is goot fun.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

!Klams posted:

i thought symmetras gun healed teammates but apparebntly it doesnt so yeah i have no clue why she is put in with all the healers

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
she can give you the 25 hp shield and be useless elsewhere

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Zarya can also shield allies, and babybjorn can armor allies. And she isn't useless elsewhere she wrecks face.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I'll probably try the game when it goes free to play. So after 2 months probably.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Symmetra is good for

a) Her teleporter

b)

c)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Chemtrail posted:

I'll probably try the game when it goes free to play. So after 2 months probably.

it took evolve almost a year and a half to go f2p and that poo poo tanked hard. overwatch isn't going f2p for a while.

• Locked thread