Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

MF_James posted:

or turns on video and is jerking off and you can hear the grunts and see the Cheetos covered dick.

Please please please tell me you are speaking from experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Manslaughter posted:

Please please please tell me you are speaking from experience.

Haha no, but someone in one of the IT threads had a similar story which is where I pulled it from. There was a distinct lack of Cheetos in the original story and possibly I over-exaggerated other parts , but some dude definitely started jerking off on some conference call with video turned on.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

MF_James posted:

Haha no, but someone in one of the IT threads had a similar story which is where I pulled it from. There was a distinct lack of Cheetos in the original story and possibly I over-exaggerated other parts , but some dude definitely started jerking off on some conference call with video turned on.

I remember that, something about a mandate to use webcams during meetings and one guy forgot his was on and just dropped trow during one like it was no big deal. Resigned the next day to save face.

Edit: found it!

Agrikk posted:

Okay, so on Friday I was on a call with a partner and some of its sub contractors. Maybe ten of us on the call.

Partner decided that we needed, needed, to have video enabled on the WebEx session to build teamwork since most of us work remotely and in different countries, etc.

Meeting progresses and about 45 minutes in, one of the subcontractors stands up in front of his chair at his desk, drops trou and boxers, sits back down and starts to rub one out. On camera.

I cannot un-see this. :negative:

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 13, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I cannot comprehend how there are so many people that don't mute their mics when not intending to talk on the call. I have dealt with people working from home with small children crying, people switching lines and subjecting the whole call to hold music, people with incredibly poo poo mics that just randomly make high pitched noises, and too much more to recount. Surely the people who do this hear other people doing this and are also annoyed by it, so why is it that so many have never realized that they are part of the problem? Are people just this bad with mute buttons that they don't realize when it's on?

Maybe it's just because I spent a lot of hours on Ventrilo for raiding before I ever got on a conference call, and there it seemed like most people use push to talk and are a lot less reticent about bitching at people who leave mics open.

vvv Yeah, any kind of large all-hands/demonstration with 100+ people virtually has to do this or endure constant interruption. Luckily most organizers of such events realize that.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 13, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

I cannot comprehend how there are so many people that don't mute their mics when not intending to talk on the call. I have dealt with people working from home with small children crying, people switching lines and subjecting the whole call to hold music, people with incredibly poo poo mics that just randomly make high pitched noises, and too much more to recount. Surely the people who do this hear other people doing this and are also annoyed by it, so why is it that so many have never realized that they are part of the problem? Are people just this bad with mute buttons that they don't realize when it's on?

Worse is that most of these call ins have a function to specifically mute everyone. When I run large conference calls, I mute the audience and tell people to unmute via the application/phone functions if they want to speak up.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

RFC2324 posted:

How much is the VMWare licensing for this?

E: nevermind, missed the esxi part.

Sorry about posting about this well after the fact, but I'm hoping it might be useful to some folks and/or informative to others who weren't aware of it. One way to get three vSphere Enterprise licences, as well as a vCenter license, plus a few others licenses for some VMware products, is to join VMUG and pay $200/year. As part of that membership you are automatically invited to VMUG Advantage, which allows you to use a number of VMware products in non-business environments for testing and certification. So if you're thinking about setting up your own homelab, or you need a testing setup and don't want to deal with the 60-day limitations, or you need more than the features the free edition offers, then VMUG Advantage might be the way to go. Please excuse me if someone has already posted about this.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Unfortunately the blue dogs and Republicans ensured that the PPACA couldn't make any big progress. Even having a public option(which honestly would be pretty terrifying to be on given that you would be on it with the understanding that as soon as the GOP has enough power all funding is being stripped) was taken off the table pretty much immediately. We had a chance for real reform for the healthcare system, there just wasn't the political will to get it.

Part of the Dems deal with Sanders to get him to support Hillary is that they added to their platform that Clinton will have to support a public-option for health care, which will expand the limits currently placed on the ACA.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 14, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Or not letting us upgrade to RHEL7 and getting fussy that they're stuck on python 2.6.

Well, to be fair, I'd be pretty salty if I was told I had to use any version of Python 2.x

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Part of the Dems deal with Sanders to get him to support Hillary is that they added to their platform that Clinton will have to support a public-option for health care, which will expand the limits currently placed on the ACA.

I thought Hillary was deep in the pockets of the health insurance companies. Oh well, not my country I guess.

In other news: SCCM is a bitch and a half to work with. Nothing new there, but why the gently caress does the upgrade path to get Windows 10 working on it have to be so convoluted, and why the gently caress isn't there some website with the updates clearly listed so it's not a complete mess to figure out what the hell you need/need to do?

Crowley fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 14, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

18 Character Limit posted:

Completely true. The injury a lot of people get from casual datacenter work doesn't manifest for awhile when you realize your hearing is much more shot than it was years ago. Wear the drat earmuffs.
Oh yeah, always wear earmuffs. Be kind to your ears.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh yeah, always wear earmuffs. Be kind to your ears.

What? What did you say?

Can you speak up? I can't hear you!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of our helpdesk guys who talks 90% poo poo and has 'worked in IT' for 15 years has changed his name plate on his desk to his 'hacker name from back in the day' :sigh:

As far as I can tell this isn't part of some long piss-take and he takes it seriously.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Eletriarnation posted:

Maybe it's just because I spent a lot of hours on Ventrilo for raiding before I ever got on a conference call, and there it seemed like most people use push to talk and are a lot less reticent about bitching at people who leave mics open.

vvv Yeah, any kind of large all-hands/demonstration with 100+ people virtually has to do this or endure constant interruption. Luckily most organizers of such events realize that.

It's because a lot of people log into the call and then physically leave and go somewhere else. Especially company-wide conference calls that don't have any useful info.

Even worse is when people join from a conference room so you hear ten people screaming at each other the whole time from one mic.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I just want Skype for Business to not sound like poo poo to anybody not calling in from Skype for Business. Everyone in Skype? Cool: everyone sounds normal to everyone else. Is one participant calling in from a cell phone? Everyone sounds like underwater robots to that person.

Also, I hate needing to use a "certified for Skype" headset to get decent mic quality. Incoming sound is always great, but unless I use a certified product my voice sounds like poo poo to everyone else. I wish whatever black magic goes on in those certified devices got spread around to decent non-business headsets. It's not an issue in Mumble or Teamspeak or normal Skype.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sounds like it is garbage at media transcoding

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They just need to implement middle-out compression. Won't do their developers any favors for finding a partner but it'll clear up the communication problems.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xzzy posted:

They just need to implement middle-out compression.

Got to figure out the D2F ratio first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The width of the stream containers will be a factor as well.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
poo poo pissing me off (and sort of relieving me at the same time) - had a help desk person quit yesterday without notice, just cleaned their desk over lunch and walked. Said person was helping with a laptop for my client and didn't finish it or give me an update, so I have to finalize that on top of the pile of work I already have. On top of that, said help desk person also was hoarding at least 4 backup hard drives we use for synchronizing client backup data between sites, and I had been (wrongly) pestering our sister office since that was the last place one of the drives had been sent.

At least I don't have to hear the idiot coughing and hacking with their perpetual sickness or cackling obnoxiously at Facebook posts. Good loving riddance.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Oh boy, time for me to be the one doing the pissing off; one early morning worker with a busted PC coming up!

Around 4pm I got a chance to look at this PC since the user went home, it's throwing up boot errors and sometimes not loading Windows and I've been playing the RMA dance with Intel over the SSD I fitted this machine with. So I figure I'll reset the CMOS just in case of BIOS shenanigans detecting hardware, whoops this actually made things worse because now it's not detecting the disk at all... numerous recovery methods later its still hosed so I take pictures of various error screens to send to Intel asking please can I return this loving disk.

I slap in its original HDD which takes an age to log into Windows but it at least works, except it doesn't have any software installed so pretty useless for working on. I did have the foresight to make a backup image of the SSD so I figure why not and get to re-imaging it, problem is it's now 5:00pm and I've made the mistake of shutting down the machine when updates were pending installation :doh:

5:30 rolls around and the imaging finishes but updates are half done, no loving way am I spending another hour or two after work waiting on a percentage value so I leave that mess behind and fully expect some attitude tomorrow morning, goddammit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Super Slash posted:

5:30 rolls around and the imaging finishes but updates are half done, no loving way am I spending another hour or two after work waiting on a percentage value so I leave that mess behind and fully expect some attitude tomorrow morning, goddammit.

Put a sticky note on it with a :( and 'sorry I'm a shitlord'

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Super Slash posted:

Oh boy, time for me to be the one doing the pissing off; one early morning worker with a busted PC coming up!

Around 4pm I got a chance to look at this PC since the user went home, it's throwing up boot errors and sometimes not loading Windows and I've been playing the RMA dance with Intel over the SSD I fitted this machine with. So I figure I'll reset the CMOS just in case of BIOS shenanigans detecting hardware, whoops this actually made things worse because now it's not detecting the disk at all... numerous recovery methods later its still hosed so I take pictures of various error screens to send to Intel asking please can I return this loving disk.

I slap in its original HDD which takes an age to log into Windows but it at least works, except it doesn't have any software installed so pretty useless for working on. I did have the foresight to make a backup image of the SSD so I figure why not and get to re-imaging it, problem is it's now 5:00pm and I've made the mistake of shutting down the machine when updates were pending installation :doh:

If only you could automate the entire process from start to finish.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

flosofl posted:

Well, to be fair, I'd be pretty salty if I was told I had to use any version of Python 2.x

Ha, I know of too many researchers here that are reliant on old rear end python 2.x scripts to do their dirty work for them until their dying days. Luckily that's all contained in a software package I do not have to support.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
1:15 AM

:downs: : ARE YOU THERE ITS IMPORTANT WERE NOT COMMUNICATING WITH OUR BIG CUSTOMER ITS AN OUTAGE! :supaburn:
:coal: : this is like the third time this week you've called me at one in the morning. what is it
:downs: : THEYRE DOWN!!!
:coal: : :sigh: fine. the comm logs don't indicate anything is wrong.
:downs: : BUT THEYRE DOWN!! CHECK BEFORE!!
:coal: : what time did they say there was an outage.
:downs: : BETWEEN THREE HOURS AGO AND NOW! but i'll call again and find out
:coal: : get an exact time.

:downs: : okay i misunderstood i guess the comms are actually up, theyre just not able to get data from these devices. WE NEED TO RESTART THE SERVER!!! :supaburn:
:coal: : are they having issues with A1 devices or B1 devices, they're very different.
:downs: : I'LL CALL THEM AGAIN but can we get bob to restart the server????

:downs: : oh it's B1 devices they cant request additional data after the first one.
:coal: : great, that means that it doesn't involve the other server at all. can you get some details so i can look into it? times, request numbers.
:downs: : I'LL CALL THEM AGAIN

:suicide:

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Rhymenoserous posted:

Steel bur's you say? Let me tell you about reaching through a forest of cat5 bundles all secured by zip ties that had MOST of the ends snipped off.

Nothing but hamburger came out the other side.

I've seen deaths on site, amputations, de-glovings and toxic exposures but the only thing I've ever been injured by?
Zip-ties turned prison shank by way of careless trimming.

Give me the safety and elegance of paper and string any day.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

nitrogen posted:

As long as they are breaking their dev, stage, or test environments, I want them to break whatever they want.

Now I have a really weird question about some strange behavior; and I might just have my assumptions wrong, so let me lay the whole thing out. If anyone can help me out or provide any other guidance, i'd be very happy.

code:
Hosts: VMware ESXi, 5.5.0, 1623387
Guest: OL 6.7
Kernel: 3.8.13-98.2.1.el6uek.x86_64

[root@lgvm100 ~]# lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    1
Socket(s):             4
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 63
Stepping:              2
CPU MHz:               2499.998
BogoMIPS:              4999.99
Hypervisor vendor:     VMware
Virtualization type:   full
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              30720K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3
[root@lgvm100 ~]#

If I have a guest set up for 4 cpu's, 2 cores per socket, the last 2 CPU's ill rarely see any action at all.
I Can run something like:

code:
stress --cpu 4 --timeout 10
and then watch cpu load on only the first 2 processors go up. (cpu 0 and 1 by the os's values)

I can manually set task affinity for stress, and then have it use the last 2 cpu's with something like this:

code:
taskset -c 2,3 stress --cpu 4 --timeout 10 
and it'll use the last 2 cpu's only. (Cpu's 3 and 4 by the OS's values)

task affinity is set everywhere I checked as cpus 0-3

code:
[root@lgvm100 ~]# taskset -c -p 1
pid 1's current affinity list: 0-3
I'm running under the assumption that there should be no difference in having 2 cores vs 1 core per socket where vmware's concerned, but the OS certainly acts differently.
What am I missing? I bet it's hilariously dumb.

If you set corespersocket to anything other than 1, you can end up overriding the automatic NUMA layout in a suboptimal way. Your OS is seeing them all as a single NUMA node so I don't think corespersocket is causing your problem.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Scikar posted:

If you set corespersocket to anything other than 1, you can end up overriding the automatic NUMA layout in a suboptimal way. Your OS is seeing them all as a single NUMA node so I don't think corespersocket is causing your problem.

Well, if I set them to corsepersocket=1 the problem goes away.

I'm just reconfiguring all of these because gently caress this horseshit, it works if i do that and i've got precious forum threads to catch up on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I want to kill the guy who did our e-commerce site.

Vendor: Alright, here's your e-commerce site
Finance Director and former head of IT: Thanks, crappy vendor that I'm buddy-buddy with!
FD: BTW does it do sales tax?
V: no
FD: okay! Cool we'll just go with it

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

nitrogen posted:

Well, if I set them to corsepersocket=1 the problem goes away.

I'm just reconfiguring all of these because gently caress this horseshit, it works if i do that and i've got precious forum threads to catch up on.

corespersocket=1 is the VMware recommendation so yeah I would do that anyway. But usually with a NUMA node mismatch you would expect performance impact due to longer memory access times, it seems strange for the OS to schedule threads the way you're seeing when it has no way to know the node layout is wrong.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zamujasa posted:

1:15 AM

:downs: : ARE YOU THERE ITS IMPORTANT WERE NOT COMMUNICATING WITH OUR BIG CUSTOMER ITS AN OUTAGE! :supaburn:
:coal: : this is like the third time this week you've called me at one in the morning. what is it
:downs: : THEYRE DOWN!!!
:coal: : :sigh: fine. the comm logs don't indicate anything is wrong.
:downs: : BUT THEYRE DOWN!! CHECK BEFORE!!
:coal: : what time did they say there was an outage.
:downs: : BETWEEN THREE HOURS AGO AND NOW! but i'll call again and find out
:coal: : get an exact time.

:downs: : okay i misunderstood i guess the comms are actually up, theyre just not able to get data from these devices. WE NEED TO RESTART THE SERVER!!! :supaburn:
:coal: : are they having issues with A1 devices or B1 devices, they're very different.
:downs: : I'LL CALL THEM AGAIN but can we get bob to restart the server????

:downs: : oh it's B1 devices they cant request additional data after the first one.
:coal: : great, that means that it doesn't involve the other server at all. can you get some details so i can look into it? times, request numbers.
:downs: : I'LL CALL THEM AGAIN

:suicide:

Who's doing this? Is there anyway to get your manager to tell that guy to cool it and to not bother you in the middle of the night until they can at least confirm there's even a problem?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

I want to kill the guy who did our e-commerce site.

Vendor: Alright, here's your e-commerce site
Finance Director and former head of IT: Thanks, crappy vendor that I'm buddy-buddy with!
FD: BTW does it do sales tax?
V: no
FD: okay! Cool we'll just go with it

Just have the AS/400 do it!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 15, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Wack-rear end printer configs are really getting on my nerves. I have a client with one of those massive plotter-style printers that randomly stopped working on Tuesday. Looked at the printer, still had all its static network settings, nothing changed. No PCs or servers on the network can see the printer or ping it, just doesn't respond. I swapped cables out, checked all the printer settings, even suspected the little 4 port hub they were using could be faulty (swapped it out and didn't make a difference). Called the vendor for support, their tech comes out and diagnoses, saying "it's a network config problem, nothing I can do".

Went back out today and noticed there's a tiny SFF PC hooked to the printer with some software for printing/scanning. Turns out it's acting as a mini print server, so I dink around in the settings a bit and disable the Windows firewall. Reboot, let it install a handful of patches, and magically the printer is now pingable and online. Wracked my brain for a couple days on that one because the SFF PC wasn't in our inventory, client didn't tell us it was hooked to that printer at all. :downs:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Same.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

skooma512 posted:

Who's doing this? Is there anyway to get your manager to tell that guy to cool it and to not bother you in the middle of the night until they can at least confirm there's even a problem?

That is my manager. :suicide: At least he didn't try to drive to my apartment this time. Last time they did that, they woke up some poor grandma at six in the morning, since I'd moved and not updated my address yet. :downsbravo:

Speaking of, today was spent explaining the issue three times, each time reminding him that, surprise, all of the details I have are in the emails I've been sending you that you're claiming to have read. I can't magically pull more logs out of my rear end. Read the drat information.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zamujasa posted:

That is my manager. :suicide: At least he didn't try to drive to my apartment this time. Last time they did that, they woke up some poor grandma at six in the morning, since I'd moved and not updated my address yet. :downsbravo:

Well there's a thing that needs resolving. Someone has no understanding that people might mentally separate 'at work' and 'at home'.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Thanks Ants posted:

Well there's a thing that needs resolving. Someone has no understanding that people might mentally separate 'at work' and 'at home'.

Welcome to being on-call 24/7, without any appreciable increase in benefits. The policy isn't likely to change other than now they'll "try to call first" ( you weren't before? :raise: ).

Hell, last year my manager actually did show up at my apartment, complete with "By the way I'm right outside your apartment, need a ride back to the office? :downs:"; he'd even tailgated someone through the gated opening to get in. I tried to explain why this was inappropriate and just got back "Well, it's what we've always done at every other place I've been!"

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Wack-rear end printer configs are really getting on my nerves. I have a client with one of those massive plotter-style printers that randomly stopped working on Tuesday. Looked at the printer, still had all its static network settings, nothing changed. No PCs or servers on the network can see the printer or ping it, just doesn't respond. I swapped cables out, checked all the printer settings, even suspected the little 4 port hub they were using could be faulty (swapped it out and didn't make a difference). Called the vendor for support, their tech comes out and diagnoses, saying "it's a network config problem, nothing I can do".

Went back out today and noticed there's a tiny SFF PC hooked to the printer with some software for printing/scanning. Turns out it's acting as a mini print server, so I dink around in the settings a bit and disable the Windows firewall. Reboot, let it install a handful of patches, and magically the printer is now pingable and online. Wracked my brain for a couple days on that one because the SFF PC wasn't in our inventory, client didn't tell us it was hooked to that printer at all. :downs:

We have architects and engineers who use those plotters. They have service contracts through ARC to cover the devices, and ARC or some company like Ford Graphics installs those little workstations and puts poo poo like Abacus and OCE software on them.

In a couple of cases, there's an almost invisible little door on the side of the plotter case, and the PC is inside there. Easy to miss.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zamujasa posted:

Hell, last year my manager actually did show up at my apartment, complete with "By the way I'm right outside your apartment, need a ride back to the office? :downs:"; he'd even tailgated someone through the gated opening to get in. I tried to explain why this was inappropriate and just got back "Well, it's what we've always done at every other place I've been!"

holy loving poo poo dude

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our newest PM has sent a colleague of mine to a customers site to do a weekend switch upgrade but never arranged for the switches to get sent there.

I can't see them managing projects for much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Potato Alley posted:

holy loving poo poo dude