Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/753610361304145920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Boo

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/753617220664786944

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Good

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Valverde is such a dick: "It's an accident of the race but these things happen in sport. They hit the moto and fell, but these things happen in cycling." What, they hit a motorcycle, who can say who is to blame for this series of events, these things happen

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Was that a Chorus of boos at the announcement of the results?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Times have been taken from the crash. Quintana over a minute down.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Get ready for 5km of barriers and even spectators banned from the other summits too narrow for that now.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

serious gaylord posted:

Get ready for 5km of barriers and even spectators banned from the other summits too narrow for that now.

Good.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Xenophon posted:

Valverde is such a dick: "It's an accident of the race but these things happen in sport. They hit the moto and fell, but these things happen in cycling." What, they hit a motorcycle, who can say who is to blame for this series of events, these things happen

He's not wrong. People lose time for that often enough without the results being neutralized.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For a fault of their own, or their equipment, or their team yes

not for a fault of an outside party

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Quintana was on his way to losing serious time there. He got lucky.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

For a fault of their own, or their equipment, or their team yes

not for a fault of an outside party

Not five years ago, a spectator caused Contador to crash and he lost a minute.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

serious gaylord posted:

The barriers can be minimal and narrow. Just enough to prevent idiots from stepping into the path of (motor)cyclists.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

King Hong Kong posted:

five years ago

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Froome provided enough entertainment by running in his cleats that he deserves yellow.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

That was a notable example from within recent memory that came to mind. If you want, I can make a list of other outside circumstances that were not compensated for. Either way, the decision made today is not generally the one made under similar circumstances.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they can just get rid of idiots like the pillock with the sign it would be an improvement.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

You know they do just the one Tour each year right?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

oh please

Like Froome or not any other result would be dumb as gently caress

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He'd have got the time back tomorrow anyway.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

oh please

Like Froome or not any other result would be dumb as gently caress

I guarantee that had it been anyone but Froome, he'd be tweeting about that "being racing" and we would all be surprised by the neutralization.

I had forgotten about this incident just last year where a stage result was impacted and there was no neutralization: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/motorbike-driver-ejected-from-tour-de-france-after-fuglsang-crash/

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

King Hong Kong posted:

I guarantee that had it been anyone but Froome, he'd be tweeting about that "being racing" and we would all be surprised by the neutralization.

I had forgotten about this incident just last year where a stage result was impacted and there was no neutralization: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/motorbike-driver-ejected-from-tour-de-france-after-fuglsang-crash/

He wasn't riding for GC though, what do you want them to do? Declare him the stage winner?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Was anyone surprised by the Yates thing?

How is this any different?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Vando posted:

He wasn't riding for GC though, what do you want them to do? Declare him the stage winner?

They did nothing in that case which is what they should have done in this case as well. It was an arbitrary decision because having Froome lose time (which he was going to gain tomorrow anyway) might have looked bad.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

King Hong Kong posted:

Not five years ago, a spectator caused Contador to crash and he lost a minute.

Also I don't even remember this happening, was this 2011?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

King Hong Kong posted:

They did nothing in that case which is what they should have done in this case as well. It was an arbitrary decision because having Froome lose time (which he was going to gain tomorrow anyway) might have looked bad.

I'd ask you to stop posting complete newbie poo poo but alas it looks like I'm going to have to wait about 10 days for that.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

King Hong Kong posted:

Isn't there some kind of general respect for the yellow jersey?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Anyone know what damage Froome's bike sustained in the crash?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It got run over by a motorbike

Gonna say probably a fair bit

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I thought he just ran into the back of Porte :shrug:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Vando posted:

I'd ask you to stop posting complete newbie poo poo but alas it looks like I'm going to have to wait about 10 days for that.

It's a matter of interpretation and I just happen to disagree with it. Don't assume anything about my level of knowledge from the fact that I don't usually post.

And, yes, that was 2011 stage 1. The incident was 9 km from the finish but the split was compounded by another incident later.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I thought he just ran into the back of Porte :shrug:

I thought I saw a report saying the following bike ran over it, may have been imagining that in all the excitement

King Hong Kong posted:

It's a matter of interpretation and I just happen to disagree with it. Don't assume anything about my level of knowledge from the fact that I don't usually post.

And, yes, that was 2011 stage 1. The incident was 9 km from the finish but the split was compounded by another incident later.

you might as well just say 'I don't like Froome and so I don't like this decision'

Cos your attempts to justify it any other way are looking a bit desperate now

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 14, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

E: oops, quote is not edit

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

King Hong Kong posted:

So I didn't remember this it all, went and looked it up and turns out it was really down to an Astana rider riding in the gutter like an idiot. Nice comparison, seems my assessment of your knowledge was fair after all

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Anyone know what damage Froome's bike sustained in the crash?

There's a picture floating around out there, the frame was broken at the chain stay.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Vando posted:

So I didn't remember this it all, went and looked it up and turns out it was really down to an Astana rider riding in the gutter like an idiot. Nice comparison, seems my assessment of your knowledge was fair after all

I don't really want to continue this line of discussion more than what is necessary but you've moved the goal posts about what can and cannot be considered and framed it in a way that is toxic for discussion when you could simply have argued that the application is inconsistent but that that, too, is racing.

As far as the outcome on the race, it's not like Quintana has any right to complain considering how much time he would have lost if the winds hadn't forced a shorter stage.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I was trying to avoid spoilers today until I get home from work, but out at lunch I saw Chris Froome sprinting uphill on ESPN so I just had to read. loving lol.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

King Hong Kong posted:

I don't really want to continue this line of discussion more than what is necessary but you've moved the goal posts about what can and cannot be considered and framed it in a way that is toxic for discussion when you could simply have argued that the application is inconsistent but that that, too, is racing.

It's not inconsistent at all, there's a world of difference between being caught up in an accident caused by someone riding like an idiot and being taken out by an external factor (flamme wobbly, stopped moto etc). The only similar incidents I can think of have been in cases where a ruling like today's would be impractical (GVA in San Sebastian, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Skarsnik posted:

Not sure of anyone has been watching these but the Velon onboard highlights are pretty cool

https://youtu.be/zmjNv29Cljs

Thanks, these are terrific. Nice to see it from the inside.