Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Is it even legal to ship alcohol to a foreign country workout a license?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Y'all should just get a full tuition and room/board scholarship to undergrad like I did. I don't understand the problem.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hope she's having a relaxing time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

pig slut lisa posted:

it's mexico

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

pig slut lisa posted:

Apparently so. All she has to do is sign for it.

In lots of places in the U.S. it isn't even legal to recieve liquor in the mail, so I was surprised too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

mastershakeman posted:

having sex with models

quote:

engineering
Questionable.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Welp, I just had a really awkward BWM and Bad with Life moment with my roommate.

He was madly in love with this girl who wanted to just be friends. They eventually got drunk and had sex. She left to volunteer in Mexico for a year and he asked her for the phone number she would be using down there, because she couldn't take her cell phone.

She declined to give it to him.

5 months have passed and he has commented and liked random statuses on Facebook and sometimes she responds, but it seems pretty clear that she isn't interested.

It was her birthday last week and I just figured out that he had to delay paying the utilities until his next check because this girl had tagged her location and address on Facebook and my roommate had mailed her a $230 bottle of Japanese whiskey that she mentioned she wanted to try 7 months ago as a birthday surprise. He still does not have her phone number.
Having a budding stalker: GWM, BWL.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Welp, I just had a really awkward BWM and Bad with Life moment with my roommate.

He was madly in love with this girl who wanted to just be friends. They eventually got drunk and had sex. She left to volunteer in Mexico for a year and he asked her for the phone number she would be using down there, because she couldn't take her cell phone.

5 months have passed and he has commented and liked random statuses on Facebook and sometimes she responds, but it seems pretty clear that she isn't interested.

It was her birthday last week and I just figured out that he had to delay paying the utilities until his next check because this girl had tagged her location and address on Facebook and my roommate had mailed her a $230 bottle of Japanese whiskey that she mentioned she wanted to try 7 months ago as a birthday surprise. He still does not have her phone number.

Hibiki? Yamazaki? I bet it was Yamazaki. That poo poo has been stupid expensive as of late.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hibiki? Yamazaki? I bet it was Yamazaki. That poo poo has been stupid expensive as of late.

The Hakushu

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Might as well unload all my recent BWM stories at once:

- One of my coworkers who has been trying to buy a house (on a 28k income with a boyfriend who interns at Hertz Rent-A-Car and I have no idea if he is even paid) just bought her dream house. She is telling everyone how much she loves it, but apparently they bought it as is with no inspection. They found termites in the garage and they have to pay to get rid of the termites and have the garage repaired. She hasn't said how much it will cost, but says it is expensive.

To add to it, they can't afford to furnish the house so they got a furniture store credit card that has 0% interest for a year and furnished their entire house. Technically not BWM yet, but I don't see that ending well. Those kinds of cards usually charge retroactive interest at crazy rates for very large purchases.

The same girl has told me that she and her boyfriend have a significant chunk of credit card debt because they traveled to Asia for a month after she graduated college when they were both unemployed. She told me the CC debt is okay because they used it to make memories.

- My dad bought a boat to use in his retirement for about $10k. He has spent another $15k on docking fees, repairs, a new motor, and gas in the past year. He just sold the boat for $4k and bought a new pontoon boat for $30k.

- My roommate in college just bought a house with 3 other stoners to rent for money. They all live on their own in other houses they rent. My roommate's parents own a large contracting company and gave him a make-work job there that pays about $105k a year. His stoner friends realized that the mortgage has to be paid, but it doesn't have to be by them. The house is a 4BR and the "friends" say that they aren't going to pay their share of the mortgage until they get all 4 rooms filled. It currently has 2 and my roommate just realized that he can't force those two people to let two other people move in.

His family is very wealthy and he cares more about smoking buddies than money, so he is just paying all of the mortgage, not really looking for a way to get 4 people in there or evict the current 2, and splitting the rent from the 2 tenets four ways with his friends.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

She left to volunteer in Mexico for a year and he asked her for the phone number she would be using down there, because she couldn't take her cell phone.

This isn't that bad because I doubt she even knew what her phone # was going to be. She probably was planning on bringing a phone and getting a local sim card with a random number.

The rest is really funny though.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 14, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Haifisch posted:

Questionable.

Having a budding stalker: GWM, BWL.

Having to constantly move is pretty BWM

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

- One of my coworkers who has been trying to buy a house (on a 28k income with a boyfriend who interns at Hertz Rent-A-Car and I have no idea if he is even paid) just bought her dream house. She is telling everyone how much she loves it, but apparently they bought it as is with no inspection. They found termites in the garage and they have to pay to get rid of the termites and have the garage repaired. She hasn't said how much it will cost, but says it is expensive.

To add to it, they can't afford to furnish the house so they got a furniture store credit card that has 0% interest for a year and furnished their entire house. Technically not BWM yet, but I don't see that ending well. Those kinds of cards usually charge retroactive interest at crazy rates for very large purchases.

The same girl has told me that she and her boyfriend have a significant chunk of credit card debt because they traveled to Asia for a month after she graduated college when they were both unemployed. She told me the CC debt is okay because they used it to make memories.

I smacked my forehead a little at the termites part and it just kept getting worse, jeez. Does your employer have counseling of any sort? Not that I think she'd accept she has a problem.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

This isn't that bad because I doubt she even knew what her phone # was going to be. She probably was planning on bringing a phone and getting a local sim card with a random number.

The rest is really funny though.

It was not this. I was there when it happened. He asked for her number and she said it would be easier to stay in touch via Facebook.

She's given it out to other people.

Eldred posted:

I smacked my forehead a little at the termites part and it just kept getting worse, jeez. Does your employer have counseling of any sort? Not that I think she'd accept she has a problem.

We actually do. But there is no way I am going to get involved in telling a coworker to do that. My boss and everyone else in the office are all very excited for her for getting her dream house. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but she is also getting married in November and applying for a loan for her wedding. Everyone is encouraging her to do this because "You only do it once! It's your special day! Do it right!"

I'm pretty sure the mortgage is in her mom's name and she is paying her in monthly installments.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 14, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was not this. I was there when it happened. He asked for her number and she said it would be easier to stay in touch via Facebook.

She's given it out to other people.

He should have just doubled down and sent an engagement ring along with the whiskey. In for a penny in for a pound and all that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Solice Kirsk posted:

He should have just doubled down and sent an engagement ring along with the whiskey. In for a penny in for a pound and all that.

I feel bad for him, but it is super awkward. He is almost 30.

He is holding on for dear life and trying to get her to notice. Since she already slept with him and she hasn't said she hates him, he thinks there's still a chance. She is too nice / awkward to say she isn't interested, but she didn't give out her number to him, said it wouldn't be a good idea for him to come visit, and tries to drop hints by asking him for advice about dating other people. She won't outright rebuff him though.

Not sure how the whiskey stunt is going to go.

Also, I didn't even know Japan made whiskey; let alone whiskey good enough to charge $230 for.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

He is holding on for dear life and trying to get her to notice. Since she already slept with him and she hasn't said she hates him, he thinks there's still a chance. She is too nice / awkward to say she isn't interested, but she didn't give out her number to him, said it wouldn't be a good idea for him to come visit, and tries to drop hints by asking him for advice about dating other people. She won't outright rebuff him though.

Also, I didn't even know Japan made whiskey; let alone whiskey good enough to charge $230 for.

Well, it does; it's in high demand, though, so the price is a little much. They basically make scotch except it's a little less "using peaty water from scotland's peat marshes" and a little more "we're engineering this to taste good".

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

$230 bottle of Japanese whiskey

Do you think she'll notice him? :nyoron:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

She is too nice / awkward to say she isn't interested

I wish people would give up the idea that it's being nice to not be clear with people. It's not her responsibility to be nice to him, nor is it on her to rebuff him, but it's spineless, not nice.

That said, they are both dolts about it and I look forward to future updates of the hopeless struggle they've locked themselves into.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Well, it does; it's in high demand, though, so the price is a little much. They basically make scotch except it's a little less "using peaty water from scotland's peat marshes" and a little more "we're engineering this to taste good".

I'm more of a bourbon man than a scotch man and Japanese whiskey is a beautiful half way mark between the two. I have a bottle of Yamazaki 12 and Akashi White Oak sitting at home right now. Think maybe I'll have a glass or two when I get home from work.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Zo posted:

I assume you're projecting here since that's completely out of the ordinary. Tell us about your BWM life please.

Lmao *pats you on the head*

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

canyoneer posted:

You sure know a lot about this guy's parents

He's their drug dealer

gvibes posted:

Y'all should just get a full tuition and room/board scholarship to undergrad like I did. I don't understand the problem.

Thanks Grandpa

Moneyball posted:

The Hakushu

See now she's not worth it if her idea of great Japanese whisky to try is Hakushu. If she was real smart or had better taste, she would have gone for the Yoichi 20, which tastes like the hopes and dreams of elves and (now that it's gone out of production) goes for around 100,000 yen a bottle.

GWM: Sampling it at the distillery for significantly less than that. Good lord it tasted good.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

He's their drug dealer

Thanks Grandpa

See now she's not worth it if her idea of great Japanese whisky to try is Hakushu. If she was real smart or had better taste, she would have gone for the Yoichi 20, which tastes like the hopes and dreams of elves and (now that it's gone out of production) goes for around 100,000 yen a bottle.

GWM: Sampling it at the distillery for significantly less than that. Good lord it tasted good.
No kidding. Visiting wineries or distilleries is just awesome.

I visited this one in Ukraine and trying their entire production was awesome. The marafakas even make sherry, in the middle of Ukraine. AWM,

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Jesus Christ Japanophile central up in here. Tel us how much you've spent to pursue a waifu.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
Some mild BWM in this story about someone being GWM: http://www.businessinsider.com/budget-paying-student-loans-2016-7

GWM: Aggressively paying off six-figures worth of student loans

BWM: Leaving 5% of her salary in employer-match contributions to the wayside.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

cowofwar posted:

Jesus Christ Japanophile central up in here. Tel us how much you've spent to pursue a waifu.

More like whiskey snobs, there's a thread for us over in GWS. :3:

Whiskey, by the way, is either bad with money (costs a lot to get the really good stuff) or good with money (you can get drunk on far less money's worth of whiskey than beer, say).

Jan 11, 2004

Ancillary Character posted:

Some mild BWM in this story about someone being GWM: http://www.businessinsider.com/budget-paying-student-loans-2016-7

GWM: Aggressively paying off six-figures worth of student loans

BWM: Leaving 5% of her salary in employer-match contributions to the wayside.

"She keeps $1500 in savings just in case" that may sound like a tiny emergency fund but it is 3x her rent at age 29 with two roommates in an apartment after all. If she lived in rural Iowa say for instance in Des Moines she could spend even less than that.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

I recently heard one of the workers at a nearby liquor store telling a customer that they didn't have any Japanese whiskey in stock because the bars were all outbidding the retailers.

silvergoose posted:

More like whiskey snobs, there's a thread for us over in GWS. :3:

Whiskey, by the way, is either bad with money (costs a lot to get the really good stuff) or good with money (you can get drunk on far less money's worth of whiskey than beer, say).

You can be GWM as a whiskey snob. If your friends know you're a whiskey snob, they start buying you bottles as presents since it's a classy gift. That's how my dad stocked his liquor cabinet for years.

Powerlurker fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 15, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Memories of freaking out because they can't pay the minimum, and the CC company grinding them into the dust?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
BWM: Investing in a whisk(e)y collection because it's totally going to be collectible and worth a ton in retirement.
GWM: Group buying the collection for pennies on the dollar when the old geezer kicks it having barely drank anything.

That is a Honda CR-V filled to the front seat. Almost all of the bottles (99%) were sealed. Yes some were bad, but the good ones well outweighed the bad.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

RIP Pappy Van Winkle.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

BWM: Investing in a whisk(e)y collection because it's totally going to be collectible and worth a ton in retirement.
GWM: Group buying the collection for pennies on the dollar when the old geezer kicks it having barely drank anything.

That is a Honda CR-V filled to the front seat. Almost all of the bottles (99%) were sealed. Yes some were bad, but the good ones well outweighed the bad.

The 2 liter of Pepsi really makes this picture.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

pig slut lisa posted:

I think I had a friend who ordered sake to his dorm, so I guess not..?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
First potential BWM relationship experience!

The SO is going to buy the parents a house thousands of miles away that they'll then pay rent on. Or, at least I assume it's rent since they pitched it as an investment, but maybe they'll have equity. It just came up yesterday, so this is all relatively new.

Could be worse. The house is in a city with a growing tech industry but is still somewhat affordable. I immediately mentioned buying it in a decent, desirable area and the SO mentioned the right neighborhood where that would be possible. Dad is reliably employed and has a good job, but he really can't afford a house near where the sister and baby live. Mom will be helping the sister and new baby and 4-year-old. Sister's husband is very handy with repairs and is a stand-up dude, so he's in for the property maintenance and handiwork. SO works for [gigantic tech company] in a senior position and rebuffs other gigantic tech companies that try to recruit the SO every few months. Literally turns down offers from Google. So, the money isn't a huge pinch and if the SO lost a job, there would be another job within a week. It probably pushes out our potential to purchase a house by a year or two, but whatever. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

As far as things that seem like a disaster at face value, this might instead be a minor inconvenience with small upside.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

I sure do hope that "unpaid Hertz intern" is not a thing that exists.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Eskaton posted:

I think I had a friend who ordered sake to his dorm, so I guess not..?

Legally, I think booze has to be shipped by a courier (like DHL) in the USA, USPS won't touch it*.

*Depending on how cool your local branch is, they may do a DADT thing, but it's against their policy officially.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Centripetal Horse posted:

I sure do hope that "unpaid Hertz intern" is not a thing that exists.

Haha I worked at Hertz HQ for 8 years, it sure is a thing! I laughed when my manager told me he interned for a year AFTER college.

PS I no longer work for Hertz because after the CEO got booted for cooking the books for 3 years, a new one came in and fired 80% of the IT staff. The rest were outsourced to IBM. Hertz is a terrible company.

FateFree fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 15, 2016

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Solice Kirsk posted:

The 2 liter of Pepsi really makes this picture.

It goes really well with those single-malts.

Jan 11, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

First potential BWM relationship experience!

The SO is going to buy the parents a house thousands of miles away that they'll then pay rent on. Or, at least I assume it's rent since they pitched it as an investment, but maybe they'll have equity. It just came up yesterday, so this is all relatively new.

Could be worse. The house is in a city with a growing tech industry but is still somewhat affordable. I immediately mentioned buying it in a decent, desirable area and the SO mentioned the right neighborhood where that would be possible. Dad is reliably employed and has a good job, but he really can't afford a house near where the sister and baby live. Mom will be helping the sister and new baby and 4-year-old. Sister's husband is very handy with repairs and is a stand-up dude, so he's in for the property maintenance and handiwork. SO works for [gigantic tech company] in a senior position and rebuffs other gigantic tech companies that try to recruit the SO every few months. Literally turns down offers from Google. So, the money isn't a huge pinch and if the SO lost a job, there would be another job within a week. It probably pushes out our potential to purchase a house by a year or two, but whatever. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

As far as things that seem like a disaster at face value, this might instead be a minor inconvenience with small upside.

So the dad can't afford to buy a house in the area they want to live in, but they can afford a fair rent for your SO's investment? Really take the time to do the math on this before you become a long-distance family landlord, especially if you're being pitched this as an "investment" rather than "helping parents afford a lifestyle".

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

adhuin posted:

It goes really well with those single-malts.

Please. Everyone knows to use mountain dew as a whiskey mixer, it's what it was made for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Please. Everyone knows to use mountain dew as a whiskey mixer, it's what it was made for

I know you're kidding, but that is uncalled for.

• Locked thread