Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

I never really heard a good perspective on Adam Larsson from a Devils' fan. Is he going to be a 22-25 minute a night guy playing all situations for the Oilers, or is he maxed out as a second pairing shutdown guy?

I mean they could try playing him all situations if they want to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I think I'm gonna regret not taking another D who was on the board who's all offense but I still really like taking Hamonic here.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

I never really heard a good perspective on Adam Larsson from a Devils' fan. Is he going to be a 22-25 minute a night guy playing all situations for the Oilers, or is he maxed out as a second pairing shutdown guy?

I think he's going to be an inadequate second pairing shutdown guy.

e: I don't think he's a guy you can build your defense around whatsoever. I'm not even convinced he can carry a defensive pair -- maybe a solid #4 if the rest of your D is good? I don't know -- without a doubt it was one of the dumbest trades in NHL history by the Oilers. Chiarelli is a loving moron.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 14, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I think the strategy of defensemen and centers is going to carry me to victory. I'm good with the D right now, lets snag a center.

The Boston Bruins, in their infinite wisdom, are drafting a great player to trade later for peanuts, so please welcome RYAN, NUGENT-HOPKINNSSSSSS

He has hopkins in his name, he must be the best, and a genius. I bet he can spell banana anyway

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I don't even need to make a nickname, he's clearly always and forever will be the NUGE

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think RNH has some decent upside in him, good pick although we'll probably never see it as his TOI dwindles behind McJesus.

pick you fuckers but not the guys I want

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not gonna lie, I seriously regret taking Laine over Getzlaf despite thinking Laine is definitely the real deal. I am also very mad about JStaal getting taken.

That being said, I'm going to buy into my "build for a few years from now" theme and take my first center with that theme in mind: Nick Bjugstad.

Bjugstad (6'6) is coming off a mixed year - he missed some time, his production stats are way down and he was relied on to play tougher minutes than in years past. His possession stats have been fairly flat, slightly moving the wrong way, with a CFrel% right around 0. One positive is that he's had bad on ice shooting, so there's a chance he's getting some bad puck luck. Its rare for someone to go from 14>5 first assists at this age if it's not luck driven.

He does have a great contract if he improves just a little bit - 4.1 million for another 5 seasons.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

david pastrnak

he's been at the top of my list since round four and i'm thrilled he fell this far. he's young, talented and he's gonna be a great young player for the washington capitals

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 14, 2016

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Great pick

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ok so my first pick is definitely Jared Spurgeon because he's great and in his prime and did I mention he's great:

And my second pick is maybe a reach but all the other D left frighten me horribly (or are a little bit on the older side and may come back to me the way this draft is going) and I think he's also great, and would be a good RH foil to Krug or Spurgeon, Jason Demers

Toews
Giroux

Spurgeon-Demers
Krug

Rask

Everyone right around 26-29 and fancy approved, win it now baby, win it now, but maybe in a few years too that's OK.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 14, 2016

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I think the Nuge is due for a breakout year. He might not be the center I would've taken, but he's good value at this point in the draft.

Same thing with Pastrnak, if he can stay healthy.

e: I definitely like Spurgeon more than Demers, but I didn't realize how good he's actually been.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 14, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I never imagined Spurgeon would get back to me, but blehhhh.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

pastrnak is the poo poo

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

spurgeon and demers are both really good picks

i'm gonna go with crypto swede andrei burakovsky, i think he's poised for a breakout season

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Where do I find those HERO charts again? And yeah, Spurgeon is one of 2 D I almost took instead of Hamonic

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

the capitals so far:

pastrnak - hertl - ?
burakovsky - ? - ?

josi - klingberg
stralman - ?

?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

the capitals so far:

pastrnak - hertl - ?
burakovsky - ? - ?

josi - klingberg
stralman - ?

?

I hope your next pick is a safe center because even if Hertl doesn't break next season he sure as hell isn't ready to be a number 1 center, even with that defense to bail him out. (That's a really good defense though)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to continue going young as poo poo and take the best goalie not playing in the NHL, 6'4" Connor Hellebucyk. I'll get an older guy for stability later.

Laine - Bjugstad - Gallagher

? - Hamilton
? - Ristolainen

Hellebucyk

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm no scholar but I don't know who that is and I bet you could've gotten him with your very last pick.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

i am the bird posted:

I'm no scholar but I don't know who that is and I bet you could've gotten him with your very last pick.

No because if he didn't take him he'd have been Stebe's backup when the backups started going. Dude had a phenomenal year in limited minutes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm either going to draft a defenseman or a goalie.

If you pick the d-man i want i'm going to throw a hissy fit then take a goalie, otherwise hurry up so i can say the d-man I want and have a very dumb good defense.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Where do I find those HERO charts again? And yeah, Spurgeon is one of 2 D I almost took instead of Hamonic

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/

I think Spurgeon was a no brainer, we'll see if Demers was worth it based on what D/wingers make it back to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm going to continue going young as poo poo and take the best goalie not playing in the NHL, 6'4" Connor Hellebucyk. I'll get an older guy for stability later.

Laine - Bjugstad - Gallagher

? - Hamilton
? - Ristolainen

Hellebucyk

Your team is going to have a bright future obviously but yeesh your core is like Leafs level bad for your first year unless Laine is going to be instantly Ovechkin.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i am the bird posted:

Matt Murray went two rounds ago. There's no chance he was going to come back around.

I don't even think he ends up being my starter, but if Murray is in the NHL this year and Connor isn't, Hellebucyk is no question the best prospect goalie / young backup out there.

E: ^^^^ yeah when I went Laine I kinda bought the short term tank, albeit not an intentional one... If they can be better, that's cool. If they can't, that's cool too. I hadn't done that previous years, looking to do something different.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 14, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm a bit surprised you took him over the other guy who everyone will compare him to forever. It's going to be interesting to see if they both pan out. I like Helle a lot though.

e: I'm at 40m spent already good lord bring on the entry levels

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 14, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Matt Murray went two rounds ago. There's no chance he was going to come back around.

I don't even think he ends up being my starter, but if Murray is in the NHL this year and Connor isn't, Hellebucyk is no question the best prospect goalie / young backup out there.

E: ^^^^ yeah when I went Laine I kinda bought the short term tank, albeit not an intentional one... If they can be better, that's cool. If they can't, that's cool too. I hadn't done that previous years, looking to do something different.

I mean, I'm mostly giving you poo poo out of my own ignorance of who that guy is. That said, I think a lot of goalie picks are way too early but I also think the league has a ton of serviceable goalies.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/

I think Spurgeon was a no brainer, we'll see if Demers was worth it based on what D/wingers make it back to me.

Can I send you my list? I'm running out for a bit

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Can I send you my list? I'm running out for a bit

Sure thing

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

O

T-Bone posted:

Sure thing

Oh poo poo I didn't realize I go next after Veskit. I can pick

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like Burakovsky but there are some centers I'm surprised you didn't take there. If one of them makes it back to you I'll really like that team. It should only take an average goalie.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love the defense but that forward group is bad. Definitely a team that as it currently stands will be better in a few years than right out the gate.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

CHICKEN

NOODLE

SOUP

Brodeurs Nanny you're up

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If Nuge can't score at a respectable rate playing in a free wheeling system with Hall and Eberle how exactly does he have so much room to grow?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

If Nuge can't score at a respectable rate playing in a free wheeling system with Hall and Eberle how exactly does he have so much room to grow?

His odds of being traded to a real hockey team have increased dramatically with the emergence of Draisatl. Once he's free the healing can begin. He'll learn to trust again, and in time, maybe how to play hockey... Just as the Schultz, and the Dubnyk before him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

It's a tough luck as usual but I have to take a 2C because they're going fast. Really close to taking a young goalie but it can wait.

The Jets select Nazem Kadri, a very good possession player who's young and on a solid contract. Playing for a team which deploys him better and does better with puck possession, I think he's a 60+ point player.

Parise-Bergeron-Simmonds
?? - Kadri -??

Doughty-Hamonic

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kadri is very good, I really like your team.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Im kinda surprised Kadri dropped this far. He wasn't getting past me if he gotten back to me.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah he was definitely the best offensive center left and had to take him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Yeah he was definitely the best offensive center left and had to take him.

There's a better guy left who I'm shocked nobody has taken yet. Although Kadri has more potential than the guy I'm thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

There's a better guy left who I'm shocked nobody has taken yet. Although Kadri has more potential than the guy I'm thinking of.

I can definitely think of another 60+ point center still available who is quite good but Kadri to me drives possession extremely well and is locked into a great contract.

• Locked thread