Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Finally got into my new place and started up RTK13 on my PS4, are there seriously only something like six Historical missions for the entire game? I assume you unlock that dream match scenario after you beat the game once but come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Never played an actual Dynasty Warriors game before. Just the Fist of the North Star and Gundam ones. Just picked up 8 for my Xbone, looking forward to having a whirl when I get home.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Koei Tecmo: We'll collaborate with anyone. We don't give a poo poo.

Sanada Maru × Samurai Warriors incoming for japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I

What

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm like 90% positive this game exists solely because of Sengoku BASARA's Yukimura spinoff.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Policenaut posted:

Finally got into my new place and started up RTK13 on my PS4, are there seriously only something like six Historical missions for the entire game? I assume you unlock that dream match scenario after you beat the game once but come on!

I mean, Nobunaga's Ambition has like 3 and the customizable one.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Policenaut posted:

Don't forget the DLC scenarios! There's like three of those.

The Hero Mode-specific DLC seems to go all the way to Zhuge Liang's death too

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean, Nobunaga's Ambition has like 3 and the customizable one.

Well, yeah, but I was expecting it to run the timeline even with the low numbers. Something like Yellow Turbans, Dong Zhuo, Chi Bi, and so on. Just to get to the end of the story but the drat thing ends shortly after Zhuge Liang and the Three Visits? Did they make a bunch of them DLC because I looked at the store and all I found were freebie Tutorial/Hero mode stages and a single paid scenario that was just the Lu Bu thing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

comments say that Kou Shibusawa is a supervisor on that show, so i guess thats why we are getting a game

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

So how is Romance 13? I'm old and played the poo poo out of the first one on my NES. It was probably the first strategy game I played. Me and a friend played it 2 player, it was good fun back then. I think the last one I played was 10 and I've been itching to pick up this one up but I've sort of already spent more money on games than I wanted to this summer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Which Romance game is the best one if I primarily want to mess around with diplomacy and characters and stuff.
I've heard that X/10 is supposed to be the one along those lines?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
First thoughts on XIII: the macro empire-building/fighting game is fine (though the AI is really, really bad), but the day-to-day mechanics of playing are straight up unfun. Everything you do is just sitting there waiting for bars to finish filling. Every minute or two in endgame you have to click through a bunch of useless WHAT SHOULD WE BUILD HERE MY LORD dialog boxes, unless there's a way to turn that off I missed. The game in general feels kind of bare and :effort: in a lot of ways that the PUK will probably fix.

The biggest macro-level change from X/XI involves the pace of combat: unit damage per time quanta is extremely low, supplies can be transported instantly, and units can "refuel" at any friendly city. This tends to lead to weird forever wars where both sides keep feeding reinforcement stacks into a stationary wood chipper that will. not. end. until one side is completely exhausted. At that point things start to fall like dominoes, because it takes time for the losing side to restock on troops and also all of their useful officers have probably been captured. The AI is kind of awful at at following up on this but a human ruler can fan out surviving stacks and start chain-capturing cities and resupplying them instantly at each captured city.

As a corollary, the game feels a lot less friendly towards small, powerful forces because it's almost impossible to gain local superiority against a larger one in a world where you can't finish battles before reinforcements arrive and you don't have the reserves to deliver a knockout blow if you do win. Humans can work around this because the AI is g a r b a g e at war, but you get weird issues like AI Cao Cao getting smushed by AI Liu Biao of all people in the Warlords scenario because city mass is everything in XIII.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Well that's disappointing, thanks for the impressions. Guess I'll wait for SW4 empires to go on sale and just pick that up. I enjoyed the newest dw empires despite its flaws.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Did anyone else try the demo of Eiketsuden (the simulation RPG about Zhao Yun) that's on Japan PSN? I'm probably not the target market but I really didn't like it - even on PS4 the whole thing runs below 30fps a surprising amount of the time, moves come off really slowly and the interface just seems really clunky.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jack Trades posted:

Which Romance game is the best one if I primarily want to mess around with diplomacy and characters and stuff.
I've heard that X/10 is supposed to be the one along those lines?

X is probably the best for that, although I remember really loving VIII and thinking it had a great officer mode.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I haven't played a ROTK game since SNES, but I picked up ROTK13 on Steam now that the English patch came out and I've really been enjoying it.

I was just playing a custom officer under Lu Bu, ended up marrying his daughter, and then Guan Yu killed her in a duel and became my archenemy. Unfortunately Lu Bu is a loving mess of a leader who is constantly trying to fight a war on three fronts, so the plan is to betray him so I can dedicate myself fully to revenge.

I'm basically playing it as a sandbox RPG.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First look at Yukimura's spinoff game.

Congrats on the beard, Yukimura.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I... don't like Yukimura with facial hair.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I am perfectly fine with Hot Dad Yukimura.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This is better than when Riker got a beard :swoon:

I'm listing to Sports Radio and they're talking about Tecmo Bowl, and I got the dumb idea that TK needs to put Bo Jackson in the next Orochi game.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Anyone care to share some tips for starting out in SW4E? I caved and bought it and I'm having trouble getting started. As Oda I have a rough time after the first couple of invasions. Should I concentrate on recruiting at first? Is levy worth the loss in fame when starting out? How often should I be invading, every turn or can I take a few turns to fill out my army?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

SirPhoebos posted:

This is better than when Riker got a beard :swoon:

I'm listing to Sports Radio and they're talking about Tecmo Bowl, and I got the dumb idea that TK needs to put Bo Jackson in the next Orochi game.

Well, they could do worse. He's already been a hero, circa ProStars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px5njG8ikvo

It wouldn't be the strangest thing they ever did.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So uh Sanada Maru sounds kind of interesting. It's like they're slowly trying to merge Warriors with RoTK again but in a different direction from Empires.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'd be all over of it anyone else, literally anyone else was the mc. he's soooo boring!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

i'd be all over of it anyone else, literally anyone else was the mc. he's soooo boring!

Yeah, same :/

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
We're going to really delve into Yukimura's life and explore it in-depth!

Korean invasions skipped again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

He might not be that interesting now but hey maybe giving him a full game devoted to him will give him some quirks or something to flesh him out.

And ha ha ha we can't even get Koei to put Jin in RoTK games, I can't imagine how long it'll take for Korean invasions.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

He might not be that interesting now but hey maybe giving him a full game devoted to him will give him some quirks or something to flesh him out.

And ha ha ha we can't even get Koei to put Jin in RoTK games, I can't imagine how long it'll take for Korean invasions.

I imagine it would be very difficult for a Japanese game company to do any portrayal of Japanese-Korean conflict and have it not construed as being super offensive.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Policenaut posted:

And ha ha ha we can't even get Koei to put Jin in RoTK games
Depends on how you define Jin -- their whole DW7 story is technically under the guise of Cao Wei, as the concluding cutscene concedes -- but I remember the RTK games having a few post-Zhuge Liang scenario-starts here and there.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

SirPhoebos posted:

I imagine it would be very difficult for a Japanese game company to do any portrayal of Japanese-Korean conflict and have it not construed as being super offensive.

Is it any less offensive than the already established portrayals? I think there is some political tension to not go into it but it's always been a very large gap in the Samurai Warriors time line and IMO is prime real estate to add some Korean and Chinese generals as well as some cool levels and tragedy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no one's gonna complain about them portraying their own people or people from ancient almost mythical stories as ridiculous caricatures. they will complain about them doing the same with people they tried to conquer, have an extensive history of trying to conquer and with whom the relationship is still extremely testy

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So Masayuki is basically confirmed for SW5, then

As sick as it would be to have an Invasion of Korea with playable guys like Yi Sun-sin there are so, so many things that can go wrong I'd rather they not

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Policenaut posted:

So uh Sanada Maru sounds kind of interesting. It's like they're slowly trying to merge Warriors with RoTK again but in a different direction from Empires.

That actually looks pretty great.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah that looks cool as gently caress. One thing I kinda missed from older DW was having things like the yellow turban rebellion being over the course of three battles

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I dig Empires games more than usual ones so having more Empires-like features in more games is loving great, imo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I just defeated Ma Chao as Wang Yi in DW8:E for the first time and I was quite disappointed that they didn't add a special voice line for that at least.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
They didn't even have such for 8 itself.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't realize Berserk Musou was coming out this fall for the west. I thought it was a 2017 release.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't think they'd set a date yet? It's not coming out in Japan til September or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Confirmed coming in the Fall.