Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

A bunch of ancient white men burning the earth while trying to kill each other?

Sounds about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Malachite_Dragon posted:

can we get back to making fun of the Olympics now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
olympics would be more fun if it was just amateurs again and i guess you'd have to start by banning all sponsorships entirely both for the olympics and for the individual athletes. also no more commercials on tv and free beer for all

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In most things in life there is an inverse relationship between how seriously people take it and how hella gay is. People take the Olympics super seriously so the natural result is that it's hella loving gay.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Who's paying those cops?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the torch is in rio yet so there's a chance they're getting paid

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
That was just mosquito repellant.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How many spare runners do they have in case one gets shot?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Have there always been so many attempts to extinguish the torch or is this some new hotness?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
8 cops and not one spotted him.

gently caress, ISIS will kill millions.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
I hope some drug gang kidnaps the torch and ransoms it and the state can't pay for its release

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Boomstick Quaid posted:

I hope some drug gang kidnaps the torch and ransoms it and the state can't pay for its release

why bother, the gang will just dump water on it after they get the ransom

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CharlestonJew posted:

why bother, the gang will just dump water on it after they get the ransom

Or dump it in the bay and set it on fire.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

In most things in life there is an inverse relationship between how seriously people take it and how hella gay is. People take the Olympics super seriously so the natural result is that it's hella loving gay.

That's the opposite of an inverse relationship.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

plushpuffin posted:

I thought an inverse relationship was sucking ones own dick for example

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

that is a fulfilling relationship

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

plushpuffin posted:

Oh yeah whoops. I was thinking of saying a different thing instead of the thing I said.

Good thing I care a lot less than those gay rear end Olympics.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

have more golfers decided to pull out? the great return of golf to the olympics is already going to be missing six of the top 10 golfers in the world. they ended wrestling for this poo poo

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't see any other reason why they brought in golf besides the amazing graft and embezzlement opportunities

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's because golf's popularity is still skyrocketing among young people because of hip and cool golfers like phil mickelson

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nerdz posted:

I can't see any other reason why they brought in golf besides the amazing graft and embezzlement opportunities
i guess there are professionals from enough countries around the world to warrant it being an olympic sport. still no reason to take away wrestling, an olympic sport since antiquity

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

unpacked robinhood posted:

Serious Frolicking posted:

that is a fulfilling relationship

Also known as a reflexive relationship.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Horse hopping sure but NO WRESTLING ALLOWED

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is money in golf. there is no money in wrestling.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is their money in making a horsey dance

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

hemophilia posted:

There is if the target market is old, rich white people.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

hemophilia posted:

My prolapsed anus says yes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
horse stuff is the domain of rich people. so even if there isn't money to be made from spectators, there is plenty to be made from everyone else involved with equestrian activities. also, since old rich aristos form the vast majority of people who care i would wager at least some members of the ioc are huge fans.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Y-Hat posted:

have more golfers decided to pull out? the great return of golf to the olympics is already going to be missing six of the top 10 golfers in the world. they ended wrestling for this poo poo

It's also funny watching people from other sports condemn the golfers, so far a boxing and badminton/squash player has criticized McIllroy for not going to represent the UK.
Both of their sports are inside take less than an hour at most. Golf is outside, takes a day or two, and your are out and about in the open sun on what is basically manicured fields.
gently caress all Zika risk to the whiners, at least some tiny risk for the golfers.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
The fact that an original Olympic sport was replaced by golf should be enough evidence to convict the entire IOC for bribery and graft.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Can't find a link right now but I think McIlroy's answer to the critics was basically "if you're a golfer why the gently caress would you care about the olympics" and yeah, can't argue with that

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Looking forward to taking home the gold in competive Twitch streaming!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

simplefish posted:

Who's paying those cops?

the local drug gangs

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Naxuz posted:

Can't find a link right now but I think McIlroy's answer to the critics was basically "if you're a golfer why the gently caress would you care about the olympics" and yeah, can't argue with that

lol golfers were saying this years ago

how did the ioc not see this coming

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nerdz posted:

lol golfers were saying this years ago

how did the ioc not see this coming

they make bigger cash in the better known tournaments too

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

This has all just been a test to see how poo poo of a country you can put an Olympics in before a majority of people think we don't need the loving Olympics anymore.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dreddout posted:

Looking forward to taking home the gold in competive Twitch streaming!

Do you have big boobs?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

The fact that an original Olympic sport was replaced by golf should be enough evidence to convict the entire IOC for bribery and graft.

Couple that with the fact that the best golfers don't give two shits about the olympics (as opposed to wrestlers, who actually want to be there) and it boggles the mind why they opted to go this route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just because the ioc wants to milk golfing for money doesn't mean golfers themselves give a poo poo

• Locked thread