Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Pretty much this. Real Klingons use HONOR and GLORY as excuses to get shitfaced, get in huge brawls, and blow poo poo up. Worf is a Klingon Fundamentalist who can't wrap his giant head around this concept of "fun".

Martok is the best Klingon character on DS9 though :colbert:

Worf does eventually lighten up, but he's still real subtle about it.
Which is why Ezri calling him out on it at the end of Season 7 is great. Lays it right on the line that the Empire that Worf knows is dying because nobody actually practices the tenants that it's based on, at least none of the people in charge. Martok getting forcibly jobbed at every turn by Gowron for political reasons is so frustrating to watch and it's a great catharsis when Worf finally kidney stabs him.

It's also crazy that the dude's been around for like 10 cumulative seasons of Star Trek and he finally goes down. It's sad yet satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Mogomra posted:

I like to imagine that The Sisko just sits in his office all day staring at the wall when he's not one of the main characters in the episode.

Ferengi episodes are all good, except for you know what. I really can't stand Klingon/Worf episodes though. I can't even imagine how much I'd of hated the Worf show that Michael Dorn was trying to sell. I don't understand the appeal at all.

if you don't like Soldiers of the Empire you are literally worse than STID

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Asmodai_00 posted:

if you don't like Soldiers of the Empire you are literally worse than STID

That episode and episodes like it are exactly what I'm talking about actually. :)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

True story: When I first saw profit and lace, I was eating Velveeta mac and cheese and I threw up. I gave the rest to the dog.

Like the time I was eating while trying to watch the episode of Fear Factor where they had to eat maggoty cheese.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Strange Matter posted:

Which is why Ezri calling him out on it at the end of Season 7 is great. Lays it right on the line that the Empire that Worf knows is dying because nobody actually practices the tenants that it's based on, at least none of the people in charge. Martok getting forcibly jobbed at every turn by Gowron for political reasons is so frustrating to watch and it's a great catharsis when Worf finally kidney stabs him.

It's also crazy that the dude's been around for like 10 cumulative seasons of Star Trek and he finally goes down. It's sad yet satisfying.

I always figured that the Klingon Empire that Worf idolizes never existed. Like the Japanese concept of bushido, it was complete bullshit fabricated by an expansionist, militaristic government to justify wars that in truth were about grabbing territory, grabbing resources, or settling grudges. Worf, being raised among humans, simply wasn't in on the joke.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Essentially. It's kind of sad.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mogomra posted:

I like to imagine that The Sisko just sits in his office all day staring at the wall when he's not one of the main characters in the episode.

One of my favourite Picard moments in TNG is in his office shot from behind so we see what's on that little computer pad on his desk. He's just staring at a screensaver, someone comes in, he quickly brushes them off, and as their leaving he goes back to staring at the screensaver. Can't remember what episode that was though.

Cythereal posted:

I always figured that the Klingon Empire that Worf idolizes never existed. Like the Japanese concept of bushido, it was complete bullshit fabricated by an expansionist, militaristic government to justify wars that in truth were about grabbing territory, grabbing resources, or settling grudges. Worf, being raised among humans, simply wasn't in on the joke.

Pretty much, though I get the feeling that on TNG at least some of the creative team didn't really get that and played it straight, even though most Klingon centric episodes were about corruption in the highest circles of power in the Empire. I can't imagine what it must be like for all those none Klingon "citizens" of the Empire.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baka-nin posted:

Pretty much, though I get the feeling that on TNG at least some of the creative team didn't really get that and played it straight, even though most Klingon centric episodes were about corruption in the highest circles of power in the Empire. I can't imagine what it must be like for all those none Klingon "citizens" of the Empire.

On the other hand, Ron Moore was the driving force behind most of those Klingon-centered episodes, and if I remember right his conceptualization of the Klingon Empire was that while the upper echelons might be corrupt as gently caress, the Empire as a whole was still largely efficient and fair.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the other hand, Ron Moore was the driving force behind most of those Klingon-centered episodes, and if I remember right his conceptualization of the Klingon Empire was that while the upper echelons might be corrupt as gently caress, the Empire as a whole was still largely efficient and fair.

I don't see why this wouldn't be the case, the few times we see Klingons who aren't politicians or military fratbros they seem pretty on the level. It's just like anywhere else, most people are just people trying to get by but to get into the elite you either are a corrupt rear end in a top hat or become one in the process. Which just makes Martok all the more awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

I don't see why this wouldn't be the case, the few times we see Klingons who aren't politicians or military fratbros they seem pretty on the level. It's just like anywhere else, most people are just people trying to get by but to get into the elite you either are a corrupt rear end in a top hat or become one in the process. Which just makes Martok all the more awesome.

Quark's Klingon wife was a pretty great example of good Klingon.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

That Klingon biologist was a spy for the Romulans, and the Klingon lawyer was trying to frame Worf for war crimes. I shudder to think what heinous evil the Klingon chef was plotting in the background while the crew were distracted by the wormhole.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The "lol wrong turn" gag is funny, but are you saying it's Rom's "noooooo" that makes that scene for you? Because seriously, Rom's not doing anything for me in that scene.

It doesn't make the scene, but it is like a great opening warm-up act. It's funny and lighthearted and makes the second bit even better.

I like how Rom, Nog, and Quark grew as characters, which is more than anybody else in pretty much all of Trek ever did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baka-nin posted:

That Klingon biologist was a spy for the Romulans, and the Klingon lawyer was trying to frame Worf for war crimes. I shudder to think what heinous evil the Klingon chef was plotting in the background while the crew were distracted by the wormhole.

He was probably preparing cooked meat.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Rhyno posted:

Yep, and even she was getting squeezed out of the high-council/elite through corrupted officials.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

You can have a government and society that's efficient and fair while being an expansionist, militaristic government that likes to disguise land grabs and political grudges with "Strength and honor!" to make it more palatable to the masses.

The Klingon Empire as less racist, less war crime-y, more efficient and fair Imperial Japan rings true enough to me.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Cythereal posted:

You can have a government and society that's efficient and fair while being an expansionist, militaristic government that likes to disguise land grabs and political grudges with "Strength and honor!" to make it more palatable to the masses.

The Klingon Empire as less racist, less war crime-y, more efficient and fair Imperial Japan rings true enough to me.

I always thought of them more like the Mongols. Fair to their friends, devastating to their enemies. Warrior traditions, etc.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno posted:

He was probably preparing cooked meat.

Worse.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WickedHate posted:

As a metaphor for abortion, it's incredibly clumsy. They aren't rape babies, they just aren't, there's no real reason to be so mad about their existence and nothing to gain by destroying them. On a ship as huge as the Enterprise, there had to be at least a few people willing to donate if Picard just took a survey or something.
The aliens didn't even discuss that with 'em though, they just took as soon as they got a preliminary "Probably can't bro" and a refusal from Riker. (Indeed, by specifically cloning one guy who specifically declined, they're casting the analogy even more sharply.)

What you gain by destroying the clones is making it real clear to these guys that you can't just take what you want from other people, even if you're doing it covertly.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 14, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But theft isn't rape, and even as far as theft goes, it's remarkably harmless. Still not [I]good[I] to take genetic samples without permission, but it's not exactly the same life altering decisions.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Rhyno posted:

Requesting KlingonAccounting.gif

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can't believe in all the talk that's been posted about that episode, no one's mentioned the hot Space Irish lady that Riker bones.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WickedHate posted:

But theft isn't rape, and even as far as theft goes, it's remarkably harmless. Still not [I]good[I] to take genetic samples without permission, but it's not exactly the same life altering decisions.
Well at a certain point you're saying that people's consent is irrelevant, and can be circumvented even if specifically and explicitly withheld, as long as this circumvention is "harmless." That seems like a pretty problematic ethical perspective to take.

I'd say finding out ten years later that you have a genetic clone who was created against your will would be pretty heavily rocking. Or finding out in sixty years that the reason that guy looks so much like you is because he's a clone of Grampy Will.

WampaLord posted:

I can't believe in all the talk that's been posted about that episode, no one's mentioned the hot Space Irish lady that Riker bones.
We're all agreed that it's unethical to gently caress the Irish, no need to discuss the established facts :ireland:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WickedHate posted:

Depends on how libertarian you are

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

Well at a certain point you're saying that people's consent is irrelevant, and can be circumvented even if specifically and explicitly withheld, as long as this circumvention is "harmless." That seems like a pretty problematic ethical perspective to take.

Only when taken as a broad applied philosophy and not a case by case thing. I don't support the clone colony, just that, narratively, as a metaphor, it's not nearly the same thing as what their trying to compare it to, both rape and abortion.

Nessus posted:

I'd say finding out ten years later that you have a genetic clone who was created against your will would be pretty heavily rocking. Or finding out in sixty years that the reason that guy looks so much like you is because he's a clone of Grampy Will.

I don't really see a huge problem with that. It'd be annoying and I wouldn't be super cool with it, but it wouldn't wreck me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Now I do think the calculus would've been different if, say, they needed a gene sample to reinforce their established clone lines but weren't going to be duplicating that person directly, or something like that. That would have been more in the line of a medical treatment and would have presented a much thornier ethical question, but instead they clone Riker against his will. (Did anyone ask Pulaski? now there's a punchline)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
What's really ironic is that Riker already had a genetically identical duplicate the whole time!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The closest contemporary parallel we would have is the HeLa cell line.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa

In the US, it was ruled legal, but UK would require patient consent.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Cythereal posted:

It's a little harder to convince a Klingon, though. Especially when their Excalibur turns out to be real.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's funny that the Klingons literally killed their religion and of all things it turns out to be true.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

They only killed their Gods, they still clearly have a spiritualism that most of them believe in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deep Space Nine Season Four:

Hell yes it's bald Sisko time, poo poo just got real.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rhyno posted:

Deep Space Nine Season Four:

Hell yes it's bald Sisko time, poo poo just got real.

The Hawk is erratic. Violent.

Explain this linear concept of "defenestration."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spencer for Hire was my mom's favorite show when I was a kid, she used to watch DS9 with me all the time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

If I remember right, in order to take the samples, the aliens knocked out Riker and Pulaski and then inserted big scary looking needles into their abdomens. I'm pretty sure most people would be super pissed off if that was done to them without their consent.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

So let's say your young daughter falls into a time portal and comes out 18 years old and crazy. Would you;

A) try and send her to the best starfleet medical center for rehabilitation

Or

B) throw her back in time to live in seclusion with no medicine and die alone. Also give her a doll.

Seriously what the hell? They had no idea that would send young Molly back, they were just condemning their daughter to a life alone forever on a horrible prehistoric planet.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Seriously what the hell? They had no idea that would send young Molly back, they were just condemning their daughter to a life alone forever on a horrible prehistoric planet.

Sounds like somebody flunked Temporal Paradox Mechanics II at the academy

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trent posted:

Sounds like somebody flunked Temporal Paradox Mechanics II at the academy

Is that a joke? We hate those.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hi TVIV star trek thread, I thought there was only the one trek thread in GBS. Am I allowed to post in both? I like startrek enough to post in 2 threads about it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baronjutter posted:

Hi TVIV star trek thread, I thought there was only the one trek thread in GBS. Am I allowed to post in both? I like startrek enough to post in 2 threads about it.

I've been posting in both for ages, mods haven't caught on yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Posting in one Star Trek thread should be grounds for institutionalization.