Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

GoodBee posted:

Is Gastone getting a collectors box too? Because I want that.

They only said "the 5 Warmachine factions" on the Primecast, which leaves Gaston in question. Although the pp folks aren't renowned for their accuracy so maybe they just meant 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

head58 posted:

They only said "the 5 Warmachine factions" on the Primecast, which leaves Gaston in question. Although the pp folks aren't renowned for their accuracy so maybe they just meant 6.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm assuming collectors box is a battlegroup and I could use some more merc jacks.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

GoodBee posted:

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm assuming collectors box is a battlegroup and I could use some more merc jacks.

Hungerford confirms he isn't, and you shouldn't assume that. the Haley box was her, some pins and a book. Neither was the butcher or kromac boxes. It's probably going to just be the caster, the cards and pin like they said on primecast.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoodBee posted:

The last one they did was just Epic Twins vs. Epic Kromac. I'd figure the set is just the full versions of the casters.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I can't wait for elara2 to be an utter disappointment of an assassination caster

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

mr. stefan posted:

I can't wait for elara2 to be an utter disappointment of an assassination caster

This was my exact first thought. My second thought was, "oooooh the Troll one could be awesome! "

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Oh, Acosta is Knaak's self insert in this setting? I really hate Knaak the Hack and really wish companies would stop having him write fiction for them.

Wonder how long it will be before Acosta has to save all of the most powerful characters in WM/H, up to and including Haley, Harbinger, and Wurmwood.

Into the Storm was good enough for me to read Into the Wilds, which I feel was a good book. It's A LOT better than Into the Storm.

Best character in the books is Headhunter though, because he's Stormclad Rowdy. Why Acosta has center stage (being a support character) is beyond me. It should be Headhunter everytime.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

dexefiend posted:

This was my exact first thought. My second thought was, "oooooh the Troll one could be awesome! "

Every time I think of elara in comparison to every other mage hunter model, I imagine Narn reenacting that one scene from Kung Pow

"We trained her wrong, as a joke."

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Kithkar posted:

Hungerford confirms he isn't, and you shouldn't assume that. the Haley box was her, some pins and a book. Neither was the butcher or kromac boxes. It's probably going to just be the caster, the cards and pin like they said on primecast.

Where was this confirmed? I'm curious as my lil group is saying that was a mistake, should have been 6 in the cast. Also, I was told I had someone lined up to ninja a Gastone at the con for me. I checked his Twitter and made a brief run over to the PP forums but did not see anything.

I will be super sad if Mercs don't get a new MK3 caster.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Crazy Ferret posted:

Where was this confirmed? I'm curious as my lil group is saying that was a mistake, should have been 6 in the cast. Also, I was told I had someone lined up to ninja a Gastone at the con for me. I checked his Twitter and made a brief run over to the PP forums but did not see anything.

I will be super sad if Mercs don't get a new MK3 caster.

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?256918-OFFICIAL-Primecast-34-is-Live!&p=3612318&viewfull=1#post3612318

Don't worry, you're probably getting Caine3.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Kithkar posted:

Oh. I didn't know they did collectors boxes before. We'll get Gastone eventually. Maybe in the first Merc book, fingers crossed.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Oh boo. Oh well, thanks for the link though!

Yeah, the Caine/Magnus switch is legitimately interesting and I'm curious to see what theme lists will evolve out of it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
A local game shop near me has been suggesting an escalation league to celebrate 3E, and while I don't think I can contribute the time or money yet I've been interested in at least learning the ropes of the game. Do you guys have any recommended starter box factions for a relative newcomer, to both Warmachine and tabletop wargaming in general?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

The Bee posted:

A local game shop near me has been suggesting an escalation league to celebrate 3E, and while I don't think I can contribute the time or money yet I've been interested in at least learning the ropes of the game. Do you guys have any recommended starter box factions for a relative newcomer, to both Warmachine and tabletop wargaming in general?

Really it depends on which faction you like the look of and your play style.

However someone did make a quiz to help guide you in the right direction;

http://www.koghrun.net/whsurv/index.html

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

The Bee posted:

Mercs, Minions, and Convergence will not have starter boxes and probably should be avoided by new players. So unless you have your heart set on them, look elsewhere. They do have lists set up for escalation league games though if you are interested.

Past that, just pick the faction that you like the best. They are all really good and you will want to find the aesthetics that appeal to you. You will typically spend a lot of time with one faction before branching out so you will want to pick the one that best suits you. Check out the Battleboxes, and then go to Privateer Press's website and click on the Warmachine or Hordes links on the left side. From there, you can use the Gallery to check out all the models for the different factions and see what you like.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Some general notes though:

Convergence isn't getting regular releases so avoid them.
Mercs, Cryx and Trolls are expensive for various reasons. Minions as well, to a lesser degree.
Skorne is, uh, maybe not in the best place right now.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

People poo poo on Skorne a lot but if you really like how they look the best, go for it. Some people really like flags and Titan diapers and the gooniest of all casters.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, absolutely.
I think it's safe to say that Skorne are worse than, say, Khador or Menoth, but it's not like Skorne is 100% unplayable trash. So in the end if picking them up is on the table it's more a question of how important relative faction power is to you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I took the quiz and looked up the recommended factions, which were basically a giant pile-up around 40%. Aesthetic-wise, I think I'm digging the Legion or Cygnar most. Cygnar's got a big, kind of exaggerated hunch profile that makes nice silhouettes, while Legion's got really nice ugliness to it and I love the stumpy little shredders to bits. Also, dragons.

Which one would be simplest for a newcomer to pick up, both playwise and paintwise?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Play-wise Cygnar is in an amazing place right now, having benefited greatly from the transition to mk3. Painting-wise they're fun, blue's a pretty forgiving color (though you'll want to change your water and clean your brushes really frequently because blue is unforgiving on bristles and will tint the water so much that it will change every other color you use) and the 'jacks are fun and really satisfying to paint. All the infantry seems either to have a lot of fiddly detail that I hate (gun mages) or lots of mold lines that are a pain in the rear end to clean off (storm knights) but that's scarcely unique to Cygnar. Swans own, play Swans.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Bee posted:

I took the quiz and looked up the recommended factions, which were basically a giant pile-up around 40%. Aesthetic-wise, I think I'm digging the Legion or Cygnar most. Cygnar's got a big, kind of exaggerated hunch profile that makes nice silhouettes, while Legion's got really nice ugliness to it and I love the stumpy little shredders to bits. Also, dragons.

Which one would be simplest for a newcomer to pick up, both playwise and paintwise?

Probably Cygnar. Hordes is a more difficult system in general because you're worried about allocations a turn in advance. You have a much harder time screwing yourself in Warmachine, since a jack out of your control area is just going to be less effective, instead of doing negative work by attacking your own stuff.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've played both Cygnar and Legion quite a bit, and I think Cygnar also profited handsomely from Mk3. Legion is still good I think, but people are having to sort out what constitutes the new Legion. Having our Shepherds go from removing all fury to one, even with a +1 to their field allowance, is making something of a difference.

Paint-wise, I think Legion might be a bit easier, insofar as you have skin, then their natural armor/individual scales. The Nephilim might need additional thought about metal armor and cloth, but that's about it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
As for simple/easy to play, I wouldn't even think about that. This game is a pretty big time and money investment, don't decide what you want to play based on how hard the first games are going to be. And all factions have their straightforward lists.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pyrolocutus posted:

I've played both Cygnar and Legion quite a bit, and I think Cygnar also profited handsomely from Mk3. Legion is still good I think, but people are having to sort out what constitutes the new Legion. Having our Shepherds go from removing all fury to one, even with a +1 to their field allowance, is making something of a difference.

Paint-wise, I think Legion might be a bit easier, insofar as you have skin, then their natural armor/individual scales. The Nephilim might need additional thought about metal armor and cloth, but that's about it.

I do have to say that of the 3 factions I have in progress, Legion is the one that I'm most motivated to paint.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rkajdi posted:

Probably Cygnar. Hordes is a more difficult system in general because you're worried about allocations a turn in advance. You have a much harder time screwing yourself in Warmachine, since a jack out of your control area is just going to be less effective, instead of doing negative work by attacking your own stuff.

A beast outside of your control area is probably closer to your opponent's stuff than yours. Hordes isn't much more difficult since you can adjust your plans activation-by-activation based on how your turn plays out without having to allocate resources. It's much more of a risk management system than it used to be though.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The Bee posted:

I find beasts a little easier to paint than jacks. I like painting organic stuff like skin, fur, hair, etc. better. But then again wings are a little harder to paint than, um, not wings?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GoodBee posted:

I find beasts a little easier to paint than jacks. I like painting organic stuff like skin, fur, hair, etc. better. But then again wings are a little harder to paint than, um, not wings?

Yeah, definitely, the more details there are, the easier it is to hide mistakes. Jacks have a lot of large flat surfaces.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Want a really mobile warjack in your army, but just can't make it happen without breaking the rules of the game? Worry no more!

If you take Sam & Devil Dogs, Sam is a Jack Marshall with a Drive: Reposition 5". Add on a Ranking Officer such as Attendant Priest or Murdoch, and now they are #FACTION# models instead of Mercenary models. Which means they can take Redeemers / Hunters / and give them Aim, The bonus aim damage marshall, AND reposition 5".

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I would have to break the rules to use that because I play khador :colbert:

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

I think you can do it with Valachev. I just don't know if it's worth doing to jack marshal a khadoran jack. Although the Marshal Aiming would stack well with a big AoE.

Edit: It's probably not worth doing on anything anyways with the possible exception of a Redeemer [which is stupid when marshaled] but honestly, I just want to do weird poo poo like this for the sake of doing weird poo poo, rather than because it's some secret OP tech.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 14, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I think you can do it with Valachev. I just don't know if it's worth doing to jack marshal a khadoran jack. Although the Marshal Aiming would stack well with a big AoE.

Edit: It's probably not worth doing on anything anyways with the possible exception of a Redeemer [which is stupid when marshaled] but honestly, I just want to do weird poo poo like this for the sake of doing weird poo poo, rather than because it's some secret OP tech.

Seems alright (?) with an Avenger, but then I've already got a couple Reposition solos in faction, sooooo

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

He means you can't hire the devil dogs as khador.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

SpaceViking posted:

He means you can't hire the devil dogs as khador.

Oh gotcha, whoops.

V Or that one town in Diablo.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 14, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

AnElegantPeacock posted:

How do you make a dude with a name like "Tristan" seem intimidating? Tristan isn't driving war jacks. He's woofing down orange slices at half time, getting a side stitch 5 minutes into the second half, falling over clutching his side before vomiting up said orange slices. His helicopter mom then immediately calls an ambulance because nothing like his has ever happened to poor perfect little Tristan before.

Yep, definitely not a name associated with the majority of the most famous written work about knights...

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
1 in 5 at journeyman today. No one let me set up the reaper pull->caster kill so I really didn't get anything. Menoth's BB is scary. Most of my losses are dice related (failed to kill an unbuffed Maddox on full focus stack for example). Agathia seems really weak compared to everyone else. Her feat was pretty much negated by everyone I fought. I wasn't expecting to go in and clean up but man did I do really poorly. Got my patch though.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Nope. Definitely not. It is definitely the name most associated with violin practice, gluten intolerance and ADHD medication.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Nope. Definitely not. It is definitely the name most associated with violin practice, gluten intolerance and ADHD medication.

I've never even seen or met a kid named Tristan, I think you just have a complex around this. He's literally one of the most important and well known fictional knights that isn't King Artur or Lancelot.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Okay, looking over the model ranges, I'm thinking Legion might be my favorites. Especially if I can get lots of stumpy, eyeless little guys and swarm the field in ugly-cuteness.

What kinda color schemes do you think would go well with them?

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I've never even seen or met a kid named Tristan, I think you just have a complex around this. He's literally one of the most important and well known fictional knights that isn't King Artur or Lancelot.

I think I'm joking about the stupid names millennials give their kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

The Bee posted:

Okay, looking over the model ranges, I'm thinking Legion might be my favorites. Especially if I can get lots of stumpy, eyeless little guys and swarm the field in ugly-cuteness.

What kinda color schemes do you think would go well with them?

Whatever is the most eye-blindingly garish, in my opinion! Make your opponent hate looking at the table.