Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

some people are just broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I've based my major life decisions on the clout of SA Forums members for the last 15 years. My life is chaos.

Also that mayo dude was definitely not joking. Looks like he deleted his account out of shame. Hopefully he got the answers he needed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The protector on my top screen has noticeable marks from being pressed against the rim of the bottom screen so that's still a thing even on N3DS. No idea if it would affect the bare screen or not though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'mayo'

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

'shame'

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Tender Bender posted:

The protector on my top screen has noticeable marks from being pressed against the rim of the bottom screen so that's still a thing even on N3DS. No idea if it would affect the bare screen or not though.

i dont have a screen protector on my xl and it does not have these marks. i also do not sit on my xl or do anything weird to cause additional pressure on it

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Screen protector is a good idea because of the stylus

Also I'm not sure it's a problem with the n3ds but the older models have an issue with the screens getting scratched when shut because of the parts rubbing against each other

Somehow I scratched my TOP screen rubbing dust off of it. I've learned to live with it because it's like $80 to get out fixed according to Nintendo's site, but it's annoying having it right off center of the screen.

Even worse because I had just bought screen protectors and was just being lazy about applying them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I never have bought screen protectors since the DS lite and somehow haven't scratched my screens :shrug:.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr E posted:

I never have bought screen protectors since the DS lite and somehow haven't scratched my screens :shrug:.

I don't think it should be legal to not own The World Ends With You.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I both own and played through TWEWY and the only time my DS' bottom screen got scratched was because I lent it to my brother.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

I had TWEWY and didn't scratch my DS screen. I gave it to my cousin and last time I saw it it's scratched to hell tho.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i do have one on the bottom screen just for peace of mind during intense scratching but i dont think its really necessary on the top if you are careful with your poo poo. if you like to throw your 3ds in a bag and it maybe gets squished a little then you might want to think about it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Awesome! posted:

i dont have a screen protector on my xl and it does not have these marks. i also do not sit on my xl or do anything weird to cause additional pressure on it

My N3DS rubs itself just by being closed. This is like my 4th or 5th 3DS and it's the first one to do this. Some part of the bottom casing is warped in some indistinguishable way that makes the bottom screen's bezel touch the top screen. Or maybe the hinge is crooked or something, I can't figure it out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Strife posted:

Figures I shouldn't trust the opinions of a forum that has "how do I get the smell of mayonnaise out of my DS?" as one of its top threads.

You forgot to link it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
:shrug: after like four years or so there are maybe some tiny marks on the top screen of my xl. They're also entirely unnoticeable unless the screen is off, and I cannot possibly understand why you would be looking at a 3ds that has been switched off.

It's a relatively inexpensive game system made for children, it isn't going to turn to dust if you don't cover it in skins and protective cases and screen protectors. Also, TWEWY aside, you probably aren't going to carve gouges into the bottom screen unless you have absolutely no control over how much pressure you use with pens. That's like insisting people stock up on thumbsticks because certain people can't not snap them off like some sort of monster.

Saoshyant posted:

You forgot to link it.

Also this. It's gotta be at least half as amusing as the egg guy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spellman posted:

The 3DS Mario Tennis game has some cool throwbacks to the GBC/64 games, especially in the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFCz0WM1baw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7e6NTExe8Q

Also: Tiebreaker

I love that the original Mario Tennis had a Golden Sun soundtrack for some reason

Lemon-Lime posted:

I put tons of time into TWEWY, EBA, and Rhythm Heaven without getting any scratches, but the screen definitely feels less sensitive than it used to

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I agree with this statement independent of its implications in regard to scratched screens

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Saoshyant posted:

You forgot to link it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/2ivmu0/how_to_get_rid_of_the_mayonnaise_smell/

There's a couple instances of this, which is great:

quote:

This comment has been overwritten by an open source script to protect this user's privacy.
If you would like to do the same, add the browser extension GreaseMonkey to Firefox and add this open source script.
Then simply click on your username on Reddit, go to the comments tab, and hit the new OVERWRITE button at the top.

Maybe 'great' is the wrong word.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That does not look like a link to a Something Awful Dot Com forum thread. I feel cheated.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Saoshyant posted:

That does not look like a link to a Something Awful Dot Com forum thread. I feel cheated.

If questions about removing the smell of condiments from electronics doesn't immediately make you think of Reddit then that's on you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Strife posted:

If questions about removing the smell of condiments from electronics doesn't immediately make you think of Reddit then that's on you.

something tells me that's not mayo...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of screens rubbing into each-other, decided to go full ruggedized and got a 2DS on clearance. :whatup:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I have another Mew code for Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS. PM me if you missed out the previous times and still need one.

edit: Taken.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 15, 2016

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Nothing compares to hit glueing game cases to a 3ds to carry more games. Nothing can go wrong.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Looper posted:

I love that the original Mario Tennis had a Golden Sun soundtrack for some reason

I put tons of time into TWEWY, EBA, and Rhythm Heaven without getting any scratches, but the screen definitely feels less sensitive than it used to

Golden Sun and Mario Tennis are both developed by Camelot, aren't they? Probably the same composer and that's just his style.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the composer for both series is Motoi Sakuraba and he went into autopilot about 15 years ago.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, the composer for both series is Motoi Sakuraba and he went into autopilot about 15 years ago.
I thought that too, but he actually did the (excellent) music in all of the Dark Souls games, so clearly he's still able to do good music, he just chooses not to for things like recent Tales games? Or he legitimately likes orchestral soup that all sounds the same

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He does good music for games that don't have 6 months to make.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Speaking of music, I was playing Kirby: Planet Robobot when I realized that the song for this level legitimately has a bass drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JsrLBrNQMM

Kirby music now just encompasses all genres.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

some people are just broken

I'd point and laugh with you all at this, but at this point all I don't have is a small N3DS :shepface:.

The 3DS, 3DSXL, and N3DSXL were straight upgrades from the previous one, the 2DS is my travel console because the others are fancy special editions.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Theta Zero posted:

Speaking of music, I was playing Kirby: Planet Robobot when I realized that the song for this level legitimately has a bass drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JsrLBrNQMM

Kirby music now just encompasses all genres.

Haha I love this game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Amazon UK has Hyrule Warriors for £12.93: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZGEXJP8/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doing the spinners on Ready, Steady, Go! on the highest difficulty level in Ouendan scratched the poo poo out of my screen.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Please get this game, it's really good and has (two) literal hundreds of hours of content. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 15, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or rather it has 40 or 50 hours of content and then you never want to look at it again.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Looks nice, but I got the Limited Edition for a cool €32 on Prime Day.

It's got a cool watch that I'll never carry around with me!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sakurazuka posted:

Or rather it has 40 or 50 hours of content and then you never want to look at it again.
That's still pretty good for 13 quid.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Pokemon Go kind of made me nostalgic for the days when I played tons of games on my ds lite. So I went out and bought a 3ds xl and loaded up alpha sapphire. I'm making a list of other games to buy and was hoping for some advice since I don't think I should probably ration my spending. I think I'll just buy two more games for now.

I want a fire emblem game. I have extremely fond memories of playing fire emblem games on my ds lite. I am leaning toward starting with Awakenings.

I certainly want a Zelda game.

I will probably pick up a monster hunter game probably generations.

Are there any rpgs that are must haves?

Which Etrian Odyssey if any should I get I enjoyed playing that on my ds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

For Zelda definitely get A Link Between Worlds.

The definitive versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are also on 3DS and great choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Beo posted:

Pokemon Go kind of made me nostalgic for the days when I played tons of games on my ds lite. So I went out and bought a 3ds xl and loaded up alpha sapphire. I'm making a list of other games to buy and was hoping for some advice since I don't think I should probably ration my spending. I think I'll just buy two more games for now.

I want a fire emblem game. I have extremely fond memories of playing fire emblem games on my ds lite. I am leaning toward starting with Awakenings.

I certainly want a Zelda game.

I will probably pick up a monster hunter game probably generations.

Are there any rpgs that are must haves?

Which Etrian Odyssey if any should I get I enjoyed playing that on my ds.

Start with awakening and then get fates: conquest when you finish it. I wouldn't really bother with the other fates versions, but that's up to you.

For zelda:

SeANMcBAY posted:

For Zelda definitely get A Link Between Worlds.

The definitive versions of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are also on 3DS and great choices.

But the eshop edition of a link to the past is also the definitive version of that game!