Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did they fine him for running up the hill yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Are people fighting in the cycling thread? Don't fight in the cycling thread.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Andy Dufresne posted:

I was trying to avoid spoilers today until I get home from work, but out at lunch I saw Chris Froome sprinting uphill on ESPN so I just had to read. loving lol.

Same.

I'll rewatch it tonight after work though. Froome has been very entertaining this tour, I watched that 4-man breakaway with Sagan last night and that was rad as hell.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
That was pretty funny, good show for the french national day. Could have been even more crazy if they hadn't cancelled the last 6km, can't imagine the judges not letting the results stand then.

It would have been unfair for Froomey, he's been a good lad this year

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Hand Knit posted:

That depends. It's just posters that only come out during grand tours so I'd use the term "people" sparingly

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lose: Mavic for not having every pedal / size combo mounted on their car
Lose: Pinarello for having a frame snap even though a moto fell on it
Win: Sidi for shoes that maximize your climb in, out, and off the saddle

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Gibbo posted:

That depends. It's just posters that only come out during grand tours so I'd use the term "people" sparingly

How dare you :mad:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It does seem odd the mavic bikes don't have a selection, or just use flat pedals with clips

Makes them kinda useless

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The thing that is truly sullying this sport are people who may not post on Internet forums when they watch a spring classic.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Skarsnik posted:

It does seem odd the mavic bikes don't have a selection, or just use flat pedals with clips

Makes them kinda useless

I saw a thing a while back on the Mavic cars and apparently almost all the bikes don't have pedals fitted, they fit them as required. The bike they gave Froome was probably one of the pre-prepped ones as they didn't spend time loving with it, and that didn't have the right pedals. Also likely that when the Mavic bike passed Froome and had a brief chat, that would have been them asking what pedals he uses.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

From what I can find the prefitted ones this year are mavic clipless, but I've also seen a picture with flat+straps too from a year or two back

e:

There we go, from 2015 - mavic clipless, plus flat + straps

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/07/05/tdf2015-tech-whats-on-those-mavic-neutral-support-bikes/

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 14, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You'd think the mavic neutral service would have a bike ready for the yellow jersey on a stage like that.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The UCI need to throw these gap-toothed sans-culottes off the mountains.

Especially when an Englishman deigns to climb them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

King Hong Kong posted:

I don't really want to continue this line of discussion more than what is necessary but you've moved the goal posts about what can and cannot be considered and framed it in a way that is toxic for discussion when you could simply have argued that the application is inconsistent but that that, too, is racing.

As far as the outcome on the race, it's not like Quintana has any right to complain considering how much time he would have lost if the winds hadn't forced a shorter stage.

The application was perfectly consistent with what we've seen in this edition of the tour. The example you gave was not the same as what happened today. In 2011 an idiot team mate decided to ride in the gutter and he hit a spectator causing the crash. Entirely the fault of the rider in the gutter. Stop having a cry because it was a rider you don't like.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pls change thread name to "Pro Cuking: Totally believable!"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Especially when an Englishman deigns to climb them.

Racist Frenchmen not letting a proud Kenyan run up their mountains.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Hand Knit posted:

Cycling needs some good 'ol Canadian boys on every team to fight each other to keep the race clean.

I don't think you can really argue with the decision either way. On one side, if anyone else won the yellow jersey, it'd be a hollow win, on the other, would they done the same if it was Mollema instead of Froome?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Anders posted:

Cycling needs some good 'ol Canadian boys on every team to fight each other to keep the race clean.

I don't think you can really argue with the decision either way. On one side, if anyone else won the yellow jersey, it'd be a hollow win, on the other, would they done the same if it was Mollema instead of Froome?

Literally the only reason Yates is in 2nd is because they did the same thing for him at the start of the tour.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/ridemediaHQ/status/753605933993955328

https://twitter.com/ridemediaHQ/status/753622411321282560

He just got stuck with platforms then

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I doubt they'd have come to the same verdict if it hadn't been Froome, but that's just the way it is - the yellow jersey gets more leeway. It's embarrassing for the Tour to have the leader knocker out of contention by the organiser's gently caress ups. And it was consistent with what they did for Yates.

But I'm disappointed they didn't let the times stand just because Froome being a minute down would probably lead to a firecracker final week.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

He just got stuck with platforms then

Neutral support lying or misintepreted:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Porte would be on the podium if his team hadn't abandoned him to that puncture.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
https://youtu.be/q0BmPStxGWY

This just seems like a complete whitewash...

'The three men had to get off their bikes'

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010
Quintana is lucky. He was shipping big time there - could've been over a minute without the moto incident. At least the commissaires' decision was consistent within the context of this tour - given what they did for Yates I think that this was the only decision they could make. The GC is still very close and if Quintana has his usual third week resurgence it could be very interesting.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
It's just really lovely that this stage ended up being a big fart in the wind when it could have been really exciting. Weather sucks, fans suck.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Crystael posted:

Quintana is lucky. He was shipping big time there - could've been over a minute without the moto incident. At least the commissaires' decision was consistent within the context of this tour - given what they did for Yates I think that this was the only decision they could make. The GC is still very close and if Quintana has his usual third week resurgence it could be very interesting.

Alternatively the ITT is tomorrow and Quintana looked empty already.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Do any of the teams in the race even use Mavic pedals?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Slimchandi posted:

https://youtu.be/q0BmPStxGWY

This just seems like a complete whitewash...

'The three men had to get off their bikes'

Haha she even stumbles while saying that as if someone just put a gun to her head.

But to be fair it's only consistent. Like serious gaylord said a couple of pages back, the #1 priority that went into the decision today was to avert further embarrassment from the Tour. On paper the crash didn't happen, so it'd be dumb to feature it prominently in the recap. I just hope that at some point some ASO heads will roll over this, or the Yates incident, or the shambolic TTT in the Vuelta last year, or...

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

poty posted:

That was pretty funny, good show for the french national day. Could have been even more crazy if they hadn't cancelled the last 6km, can't imagine the judges not letting the results stand then.

It would have been unfair for Froomey, he's been a good lad this year

The fact that the last 6km was cancelled probably contributed to the crash. There were an extra 6km worth of fans crammed into the last few kms.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Motos need cow catchers and more Froome-style vigilante justice for rowdy spectators imo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the fan is close enough to get punched, the fan is too close.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The memes are flowing freely my friends.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
According to Prudhomme, they didn't have more barriers 'because of the wind'.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
If a barrier blew into a group of riders they'd have been criticised just as harshly if not more so than they are for not controlling fans.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

26 yrs old

:catstare:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

TdF riders are some of the most unhealthy looking athletes.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Neutral bikes should just have soft rubber bricks for pedals - grip for every type of cleat.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Crystael posted:

Quintana looked like poo poo as soon as things got hot. I'm pretty poo poo at following pro racing and all but if he was expected to contend for the GC and waited until the race is half over to make any moves and then got absolutely roasted on this climb that wouldn't seem to bode terribly well for him having any chances to contest Froome.

That said, again, don't follow pro racing very much (trying to change that this year) and yeah if the GC stays close and he gets his legs back under him I guess he's still in it, but drat that looked bad today.

I assume they didn't penalize Froome for running without a bike basically because they erased everything that resulted from the crash anyways?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He might cop another token fine. If the race continues and all the gendarmes aren't diverted to other duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Can't you run without a bike as long as you cross the finish line with one? Froome was running pretty drat well on his cleats, I assumed he was barefoot until I saw the yellow shows.