Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

In this case it's so she can stay back from the melee and not risk getting stabbed, and it requiring strength is acknowledged. :v:

bow usage is also easier to practice alone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fair enough. :)

Is that from Tari Tari?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

In this case it's so she can stay back from the melee and not risk getting stabbed, and it requiring strength is acknowledged. :v:

So what you're saying is she has a ripped back and arms.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

So what you're saying is she has a ripped back and arms.

Pictured: Yona later on in the manga:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Poil posted:

Fair enough. :)

Is that from Tari Tari?

Yep

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lemon-Lime posted:

Pictured: Yona later on in the manga:

What's this from? I appreciate a properly jacked mechanic, and girls who do physical stuff that aren't arbitrarily stick people anyways.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

What's this from? I appreciate a properly jacked mechanic, and girls who do physical stuff that aren't arbitrarily stick people anyways.

Kabaneri, where she doesn't feature much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, it's okay as long as you're not looking for subtlety.

Also not very shoujo

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Renai 3 Jigen Debut

An autobiographical series about the author (a shoujo manga artist) and how she eventually got married to her husband (another manga artist?). The first chapter doesn't have him show up yet as it's about her childhood, but the manga seems pretty cute and funny. I'm looking forward to more updates!

And also a healthy reminder of why we shouldn't follow shoujo trends in real life :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
now that it's updating more frequently I can keep up with the basic plot in Bokura no Kiseki without forgetting too much but I need to find a character guide or something because I can still barely remember who is who and it just added two new people with past lives in the last two chapters

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hope Yona does some supplementary excercise, most of the work load is on your drawing arm so you end up with lopsided shoulder muscle growth which can gently caress up you entire back musculature

This is definitely a thing thats gonna be relevant in this shoujo manga. Yep.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm loving Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san. She's so evil.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Poil posted:

No reason, it's just that in real life drawing a bow requires a lot of strength while swinging a blade mostly relies on skill and speed. I know I know. But it seems just so freaking common to give the girl a bow all the time and it's bugging me. :sigh:

"Traditionally", wives of Samurai trained to use the Bow and Naginata to defend their homes, so it's stuck around in modern japanese pop culture.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Traditionally", wives of Samurai trained to use the Bow and Naginata to defend their homes, so it's stuck around in modern japanese pop culture.

Speaking of which, there's a fantastic sports manga called Asahi Nagu about an all-girls naginata club, dealing beautifully with senpai-kouhai relationships, while also doing the training and tournament stuff. Bit of romance too, but I particularly love how it portrays the events surrounding generational changes in a school club, when the old senpais graduate, the kouhais become the new senpais, and how they now have to raise their own fresh kouhais. The only problem is that it seems to have 3 chapters translated, and there are already 19 volumes out. I pray that it gets an anime soon, because it's so good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"v.1 c.3 by Manga Syndrome (1497d ago)"

The cruelest rec.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Recently I've been browsing josei title and came across Futago.

quote:

Yukari was enjoying her single life when her elder twin sister, Ayaka, suddenly pays her a visit to ask her for some strange advice, and brings along a guy she met in Hong Kong with her! This is a story about a set of mismatched twins.

It reminds me of Tramps Like Us but less drama with complicated relationships. There's only a few chapters out but it's closer to realistic situations than most manga I've read.

Alder fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 15, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
more yona thoughts as I continue reading(apologies, I'm terrible at remembering their names):

Boy, the redemption arc of Tae-jun was outstanding. A selfish, self-centered noble being played by his own desires into exposing himself to just how hosed everything is in his country and doing something about it in order to find salvation for his people was very well done. His brother as well has had a pretty good character arc, and the horror on their faces when they discovered their father's treason was spectacularly well done.

The drug smuggler arc was something else. Lili is like a mini-yona, yona is more and more like Nausicaa, Pukkyu being simultaneously in the background while also often being in the foreground is outstanding, and the graphic nature of things has certainly stepped it up a notch. Jae-ha being a pogo-ferry for everyone is great. The part in the hot springs was probably the most tense part of the story I let out an audible "oh gently caress" when the sword stabbed the girl in the back through the screen, wasn't expecting that though I did think something bad was about to happen. Lili getting loving walloped in the bar fight was really unexpected and had way more weight to it than most violence in the series has, that scene was really drat powerful in a "oh, I'm in over my head" way.

I have earned more respect for soo-won as a leader, however while he shows great ability analytically, in war, and politically, him being a kingslayer who usurped the throne will still make me think of him as a monster so long as we don't know what happened in that room before he killed the king, or who actually killed Li's wife and if Li's brother was really just happy with Li being the king over him. Every shot of soo-won's father has been a prideful-looking stance, and those types don't tend to take being overlooked well. There's the chance that it all happened exactly as has been shown, but yona walking in after the deed was done makes me think some kind of exchange occurred between Li and Soo-won before the assassination.

Honestly my biggest complaint about Akatsuki no Yona is the number of coincidental encounters between ninja king soo-won and the hungry bunch, and how it always happens to occur right at a point where Hak is occupied, not present, or injured.

It's pretty rare for a mangaka to be able to have intensely dramatic or violent scenes and then within a page or two have slapstick buffoonery and have it work, but Yona's author definitely has that down pat. Lightening the mood after a pretty brutal or dark scene helps a lot with keeping the story from just being super depressing all the time, because it deals with a lot of really bad poo poo.

Not sure what I think about Zeno yet. I feel like his ability, if he has one at all, is some kind of clairvoyance, perception, or spider sense-type trouble prediction based on what happened with those archers. How would he know they were aiming at the group? The series has a fair amount of sensing attacks before they hit, but that seems like a good bit more than the average joe. Especially when nobody else in the group picked up on them. Other than that he's real good at keeping the mood upbeat, though.

Very very good series so far. I'm approaching the 100th chapter and it's been exceptionally surprising how consistently good chapters are.

Oh, and the romance is indeed super good. It's managed to not even do much(yet), not even a kiss, but the closeness and bonding of the characters, not just the romantic ones, can be felt from chapter to chapter, the gradual growth is really well written.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zeno is the best

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm really, really interested in your take on the next I dunno 15 or so chapters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terper posted:

Zeno is the best
Yeah I just found out what his ability is. He's basically wolverine.

Also, gently caress anyone who uses salt the earth and purge tactics. No more than animals.

Edit: that jae-ha extra chapter was loving powerfully sad. It's really amazing how they've also portrayed the dragon powers and the lives of those with them throughout the story.

Edit: lol he's not just wolverine, he's telekinetic body wolverine

edit: well he just got about a hundred times more ridiculous, jesus

and yeah that's probably what people were alluding to when they laughed at this being shojo preventing it from being violent, nothing beforehand comes close to that chapter, for good reason

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 15, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Unless you just really need to scratch an itch for bad shoujo avoid Kedamonozakari, Koizakari. It's only 3 chapters but it's really dumb. MC is annoyingly timid, love interest is rapey, and in the last chapter dude literally crashes his bike through the window of the staff office to save her from a mean teacher with no consequence :doh:

e: removed spoiler tags because who cares

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 15, 2016

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motto posted:

"v.1 c.3 by Manga Syndrome (1497d ago)"

The cruelest rec.

that manga seemed so good too...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This got me to reread the flashback arc with Zeno's back story from around that point and gently caress it's just so great!!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Zeno's backstory more than makes up for his really weird and abrupt introduction lol. Didn't the anime end with his first appearance?

Shinha is still my favorite dragon, but I like all of them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

His first appearance was brilliant. Every dragon had ramped up in amount of chapters and stakes and then he just waltzes in and makes himself part of the group in just a couple of pages. The manga's at its best when they're all being a happy weird dysfunctional family.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To Miyuki Wants You To Get a Job - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaguya-s...-Work?id=300796

In which "That's cute" finally gets actually said by someone, outside of President's imagination.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 15, 2016

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter of Kaguya Wants To Be Confessed To Miyuki Wants You To Get a Job - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaguya-s...-Work?id=300796

In which "That's cute" finally gets actually said by someone, outside of President's imagination.

Nice hat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Zeno is an extremely good character, he was good before they went into his backstory and such, but he's even better now.

However, I still think Hak is my favorite character in Yona. His arc over the course of this story has been pretty phenomenal, and I feel it's probably coming to a head soon (I just got to the part with him and soo-won speaking through the fort wall). It's got basically nothing to do with his fight scenes and such because with few exceptions I don't think the fights are done well in this series, but they aren't what you come to yona for anyways. But his strength, his notoriety, his rage, his duty, his affection, and his deadpanning all make for such an enjoyable character as a whole. When he just started beating the absolute poo poo out of both soo-won's guards and his own friends, rather than just a HOLD ME BACK SON, HOLD ME BACK type moment, it really gave a lot of strong context to the depth of his hatred and fury. Him also knowing that yona does not desire to kill soo-won also means the burden is placed entirely upon him to take revenge if the opportunity presents itself.

Now, the real question is, when hak is going to die. It was prophecied after all.

Edit: this jailbreak chapter is just the best. :allears:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 16, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Caught up. Quite the incredible series, glad i was able to go in completely blind. Seems that my questions about what went on that day between il and won will be explored in the future, as well.

Chapter 124 has probably the funniest moment in the entire series for me, I think. You know the one. :allears:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Zeno is an extremely good character, he was good before they went into his backstory and such, but he's even better now.

However, I still think Hak is my favorite character in Yona. His arc over the course of this story has been pretty phenomenal, and I feel it's probably coming to a head soon (I just got to the part with him and soo-won speaking through the fort wall). It's got basically nothing to do with his fight scenes and such because with few exceptions I don't think the fights are done well in this series, but they aren't what you come to yona for anyways. But his strength, his notoriety, his rage, his duty, his affection, and his deadpanning all make for such an enjoyable character as a whole. When he just started beating the absolute poo poo out of both soo-won's guards and his own friends, rather than just a HOLD ME BACK SON, HOLD ME BACK type moment, it really gave a lot of strong context to the depth of his hatred and fury. Him also knowing that yona does not desire to kill soo-won also means the burden is placed entirely upon him to take revenge if the opportunity presents itself.

Now, the real question is, when hak is going to die. It was prophecied after all.

Edit: this jailbreak chapter is just the best. :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

When he just started beating the absolute poo poo out of both soo-won's guards and his own friends, rather than just a HOLD ME BACK SON, HOLD ME BACK type moment, it really gave a lot of strong context to the depth of his hatred and fury.

The chapter name is quite good here!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

This got me to reread the flashback arc with Zeno's back story from around that point and gently caress it's just so great!!

It was there all along!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terper posted:

It was there all along!!
Oda does it again!

Rodyle posted:

The chapter name is quite good here!
I tend to skip chapter and episode titles when I can. Sometimes authors like to include a spoiler for the chapter itself in the title, I guess something about Japanese folks not giving a gently caress about spoilers?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New Hana and Hina After School

:ohdear:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And so they drifted apart and never spoke to each other again. The end.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Terper posted:

And so they drifted apart and never spoke to each other again. The end.

Please do not bring up Stretch in these hallowed halls.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Please do not bring up Stretch in these hallowed halls.

Please do not type the word Str*tch, thanks

Really though, The Hana and Hina chapter wasn't BAD but it felt a little...inevitably formulaic? It's kinda hard to feel too invested in it when you know it's gonna get resolved without too much fuss. I like the manga mostly for the quirks of their characters and interactions, and those are not exactly allowed to shine while this generic drama is going on. But maybe I'll be surprised by its resolution.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Am I weird in that I really don't like the romance in Yona? I just think the rest of the story and characterisation is so interesting but as soon as a romance scene starts it becomes really boring and generic. Also to me it feels like both characters completely change for the worse in all their scenes together. Hak goes from being the aloof straight-man of the group to being super creepy, and Yona goes from being someone trying become independent and who gets annoyed when people treat her like a weak teenage girl to being really shy and unsure of herself. Maybe that's the point but it just seems out of place in contrast to the rest of the story.

Admittedly I don't like romances in genre fiction in general but this seems to stand out as a particularly bad one in an otherwise great manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hak is the aloof straight man because he's spent his entire life being in love with Yona when she's in love with Soo-won. Yona is a teenage girl, and at least part of everyone's motivation is for Yona to be able to have a normal childhood rather than running around the countryside with a bunch of armed men fighting evil.