Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

JamesKPolk posted:

950s are where the lo-fi-ness of converters become desirable again (and lots of nostalgia for the 950s and 1000s with people making early 90s revival rave stuff).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBw6ELHkRTo

Like this kinda thing right? I feel like I've seen a lot of people on youtube lately with this sort of setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah might as well. I was also looking at the S950 but it costs about the same as the S5000 for some reason.

The 950 is desired for its 12-bit lofi character, and not just by dance guys but by the hip hop guys as well.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I avoided ever GASing over vintage samplers by picking up TAL Sampler.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

If you already have a Push 2, using it as your central brain like this is a no-brainer. Just set up a template with all of your external devices mapped to channels and sequence from the push, plus use it to grab clips as you jam.

Yeah, this has been the consensus from a lot of people. I'm still brand-new to Live so it'll take a while before I'm comfortable enough with it for this workflow to feel natural and intuitive, but I guess in the interest of not spending unnecessary bux I should get to that point before I throw cash at more hardware. The idea of my synth setup not requiring a computer in the mix is appealing, but could be a really bad choice in the big picture.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

sliderule posted:

I avoided ever GASing over vintage samplers by picking up TAL Sampler.

I keep meaning to check this out - I LOVE their Juno Chorus.

64bit_Dophins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBw6ELHkRTo

Like this kinda thing right? I feel like I've seen a lot of people on youtube lately with this sort of setup.

Exactly what I had in mind haha - I'm seeing it with (chicago/deep) house peeps too.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
if youre looking for an akai rack unit, why not go with the 612? the sliders and knobs make it totally unlike any other sampler, its a really exciting box even as terribly limited as it is

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, this has been the consensus from a lot of people. I'm still brand-new to Live so it'll take a while before I'm comfortable enough with it for this workflow to feel natural and intuitive, but I guess in the interest of not spending unnecessary bux I should get to that point before I throw cash at more hardware. The idea of my synth setup not requiring a computer in the mix is appealing, but could be a really bad choice in the big picture.

If it's any consolation, this is 1/3 of my studio (I just moved and am re-setting up), and I just ordered a Push 2 to basically be the hub for all of it. I love sequencers - that MC-4 is really the center of most of my work - but having some way to actually capture chunks of audio on the fly and arrange them is huge, vs. just recording a big stereo dump.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
speaking of samplers, i impulse-bought an MPC1000 the other night. there seems to be a lot of information online of varying levels of quality -- anyone have any essential tutorials recommendations or general tips?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

speaking of samplers, i impulse-bought an MPC1000 the other night. there seems to be a lot of information online of varying levels of quality -- anyone have any essential tutorials recommendations or general tips?

JJOS is the go-to homebrew OS for it.

Its straight forward and easy to learn, but its also stupid powerful. I've mostly posted about the 2500 version here but they're essentially the same. The manual is not the best... but every time I re-read it I learn something new and useful, even just a shortcut.

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

The MPC community is kinda cargo-culty but there is good info out there, though parsing from the bullshit takes some time.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

JJOS is the go-to homebrew OS for it.

Its straight forward and easy to learn, but its also stupid powerful. I've mostly posted about the 2500 version here but they're essentially the same. The manual is not the best... but every time I re-read it I learn something new and useful, even just a shortcut.

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

The MPC community is kinda cargo-culty but there is good info out there, though parsing from the bullshit takes some time.

what's with all the different versions :psyduck:

what version do i want? OS3? can i just use the free version until i need more functionality or is it severely restricted?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

If you have a 1000 get os2xl

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

64bit_Dophins posted:

Also this is only somewhat relevant but since when did all of the amiga stuff get so expensive? I checked ebay and there are a couple amiga 2500s that are going for thousands of dollars.

Are synth nerds driving up the price or is there just a newfound market for certain old computer stuff? Is it becoming like the retro games market?

The Amiga you want is the 1200, not the 2500. But hey, time to cash in on my 3000T I guess :v:

64bit_Dophins posted:

When will the bubble pop? :psyboom:
Not. You saw what happened with Moog - they re-released an exact clone of the Minimoog. Even that may not be enough to make prices drop again. For Amiga you'll have to wait until someone puts the original chip design in an FPGA or something to ensure 100% compatibility.

quote:

Yeah might as well. I was also looking at the S950 but it costs about the same as the S5000 for some reason.
There's not that much difference between an S5000 and Kontakt, all the converter mojo/lofi poo poo requires older samplers. The S1000 is also nice and might not have been hyped as much yet.

The thing is that the way the sample is pitched down or up is pretty peculiar on the 950 but not that different from how older samplers did it - see also Fairlight, Prophet 2000/2002.

Basically the key determines the speed at which the clock crystal runs which determines how fast the sample memory is read out, so you need n crystals and n DACs where n is the number of voices. This sounds different from interpolation which more modern samplers have (sinc interpolation for the really good stuff).

Of course back then people making house and hiphop did not give a flying poo poo about this, and everyone else just wanted to turn their Minimoog polyphonic and MIDI, or load ever-growing piano samples. It's really funny to see film composers in the 90s with two dozen E-mu Ultras maxed out, each loaded up with just a single instrument; nowadays that'd be a rig filled to the brim with SSDs, or several nodes running Kontakt/VSL.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

what's with all the different versions :psyduck:

what version do i want? OS3? can i just use the free version until i need more functionality or is it severely restricted?

A MIRACLE posted:

If you have a 1000 get os2xl

^^^

2XL and 3 are still updated. 3 is looking interesting but I'm still on the 2XL equivalent.

There's a chart that goes through the differences as well but they aren't going to matter to you at this point.

I don't know anyone who uses the free one beyond as an installation step.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I just inserted a compressor (DBX 160 X ) into the out of a patch bay with a TRS insert cable by accident... and it "worked'... sort of. I got some interesting distortion (my goal) and I could change the character by moving the output gain. It was cleanest and most compressed at unity, with more making it (predictably) louder and less adding some interesting distortion at the tail while keeping the levels the same.

Anyone know what I did? I didn't think it was possible to use patch bays like that.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Borrowed a Simmons drum set with SDS-8 sound module from a drummer friend. Immediately loved it. Sounds pretty clean, filters included. A few scratchy pots, but I can clean them up.

I found that you can do gnarly things with retriggering, such as causing a rising pitch envelope on the kick if you bat it softly under decay.

What's the deal with the sequencer input?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Anyone happen to know the length of the tempo pulse on a Mother-32? I know it's +5v, but not how long it lasts.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Control has a used Mother for some reason this morning. $480

http://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections/used/products/moog-mother-32-module

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Simmons SDS-8: the envelope modulates the filter cutoff on every drum except the snare. Is this intended behaviour?

Also, the noise is just dreamy. Maybe it's the context, but I swear it's the nicest noise source I've ever heard. Maybe it's the filters.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

sliderule posted:

Borrowed a Simmons drum set with SDS-8 sound module from a drummer friend. Immediately loved it. Sounds pretty clean, filters included. A few scratchy pots, but I can clean them up.

I found that you can do gnarly things with retriggering, such as causing a rising pitch envelope on the kick if you bat it softly under decay.

What's the deal with the sequencer input?

I toured in a band playing an SDS-8 as the main drum kit about 10-12 years ago. They're really amazingly "live" feeling machines - you hit them harder, they snap more and the pitch changes - for sounding so pleasingly primitive. Playing them with sticks is a joy while still sounding like a human 808.

One little trick that I used to use - patch the snare out to one of the tom inputss and then tune/layer it for a beefier sound/extra tone that's synced to your snare hits.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

One little trick that I used to use - patch the snare out to one of the tom inputss and then tune/layer it for a beefier sound/extra tone that's synced to your snare hits.

:aaaaa:

Any ideas about the above post, i.e.: the snare filter is not modulated by the envelope: Is that normal?

Also, this unit appears to have some distortion on the final stage, I have to keep all the voices down and crank the preamp on the mixer. Guess I'll have more to explore once I get this on the bench.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Just got my OP-1 in the mail and it's tiny and adorable and I love it :) Just updated the firmware, now I gotta figure out how to use it :D

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Digital Jesus posted:

Just got my OP-1 in the mail and it's tiny and adorable and I love it :) Just updated the firmware, now I gotta figure out how to use it :D

It's not without its flaws but it's a very unique product. Lately I've been using mine to run other synths through it for effects, mainly percussion for more mangling :)

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 8, 2016

vkeios
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KYEtspRa0
Hey Behringer is really doing that thing. Which reminds me, I need to pick up a bcr2000 for that sequencer firmware.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

sliderule posted:

:aaaaa:

Any ideas about the above post, i.e.: the snare filter is not modulated by the envelope: Is that normal?

Also, this unit appears to have some distortion on the final stage, I have to keep all the voices down and crank the preamp on the mixer. Guess I'll have more to explore once I get this on the bench.

Y'know, I'll be honest, I really can't remember. But I swear it should be modulated by the envelope because I didn't just always use it as "white noise."

And you're totally right about some noise sounding better than others. My Roland System 100's noise source sounds better, audibly, than any other one I've heard. It's downright pretty. Then you add in aging capacitors and things falling out of spec and you probably get some further pleasing high end filtering and rolloff.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Y'know, I'll be honest, I really can't remember. But I swear it should be modulated by the envelope because I didn't just always use it as "white noise."

You know, it makes sense musically. A snare's rattle tapers in amplitude but not timbre. I'll know more once I get it on the bench, but right now I'm too happy to crank the decay, turn down the click and use it as a clean white noise hit.

Also, playing around with feeding audio into the other pad's trigger is a lot of fun. Because it's not just a trigger, it sustains the envelope, so some sounds will sort of echo once the master drum decays.

The pitch envelope is genius though: near the middle, the pitch will bend down, then up, sort of like the tom hit on the end of Eddie Money - Two Tickets to Paradise where presumably the drummer presses down on the drum skin.

I can't believe how expressive this is as an instrument.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I just recorded an ambient/drone thing with an MS-20 mini:

https://technoliches.bandcamp.com/track/divine-by-gazing-into-crystals

I was going to post earlier to ask but I figured I should try it myself first:

What do you all do to compose things without using a timeline sequencer? I learned on DAWs and moved to an MPC (which is patterns but it's basically limitless so I just figured out how to visualize a timeline that way), and I've never been able to click with something that doesn't let me lay out x tracks for y time - I slave drum machines to the timeline etc and control everything from there cause it just feels natural. But like I have no idea what I'd do with an 808 that wouldn't let me choose patterns with MIDI.

It's limiting! How do I start thinking in terms of patterns and loops? What throws me is transitions - I have a hard time writing loops where I can fade/mute in fills and my stuff ends up sounding very static when I do try.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

JamesKPolk posted:

I just recorded an ambient/drone thing with an MS-20 mini:

https://technoliches.bandcamp.com/track/divine-by-gazing-into-crystals

I was going to post earlier to ask but I figured I should try it myself first:

What do you all do to compose things without using a timeline sequencer? I learned on DAWs and moved to an MPC (which is patterns but it's basically limitless so I just figured out how to visualize a timeline that way), and I've never been able to click with something that doesn't let me lay out x tracks for y time - I slave drum machines to the timeline etc and control everything from there cause it just feels natural. But like I have no idea what I'd do with an 808 that wouldn't let me choose patterns with MIDI.

It's limiting! How do I start thinking in terms of patterns and loops? What throws me is transitions - I have a hard time writing loops where I can fade/mute in fills and my stuff ends up sounding very static when I do try.

I'm sure everybody works differently with pattern sequencing but this is how I do it: I make a pattern and see if it goes somewhere. Does it feel like it needs another pattern following it? If so, I make that one, if not then I do something else. I keep that up until I've got a whole grip of patterns, then I start playing with them in different orders. It can be tough to remember where certain things are when you're working with x0x style sequencing, but you get a feel for it eventually. Depending on the gear you might even be able to easily rearrange things and order them roughly similar to how they might go on a timeline, say one group of four here for a chorus, a group of two for a bridge, maybe an intro and outro where they make sense, but I don't really bother with that and just remember where things go. By playing patterns in different orders I get a feel for how a song could work. Sometimes I need to make another bunch of patterns for things to work how I want them to, or I might copy one pattern and modify it a bit to create variation and keep things from sounding stale, but basically I just end up with a track exploded out into little 64 (usually) step chunks. Then I either play it out manually or dive into the arrangement options on my gear and put things together into a song.

Here is the last thing I did with that workflow, it's only 7 patterns played out automagically with parts muting and coming in where they make sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POQ6tzpKkhc

Here's some things I often do for inspiration:

Take a funky drum break and transcribe it into a drum machine.
Make a nice sounding loop, copy it, modify the copy, copy that copy, modify the copied copy, repeat until bored.
Take a song you like, drop it into a DAW, match the BPMs, and then slice it into one bar chunks. Listen to each bit in isolation to see how they work. Have fun rearranging them.
Transcribe some complicated as hell melodic poo poo into the x0x format, just to see how it's done. Get frustrated.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
So was a deadline ever set for Boner Jams 2.0?
If not we should set one because July is the best time for Boner Jams and I personally really want it to happen because BJ 1.0 was a great theme and turned out really dope.

For inspiration here's a track that I started that I think goes with the theme.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/poontosh

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

64bit_Dophins posted:

So was a deadline ever set for Boner Jams 2.0?
If not we should set one because July is the best time for Boner Jams and I personally really want it to happen because BJ 1.0 was a great theme and turned out really dope.

For inspiration here's a track that I started that I think goes with the theme.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/poontosh

I'm down this time, although fair warning I've been on a coil kick recently and what I've been writing reflects that a lot.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
So my Monomachine showed up today, guess I slipped in under the wire with that Guitar Center order the day Elektron announced they were discontinued. It and Machinedrum are keeping each other company. Need to set aside some time to dive in and understand it.

However, in less awesome news, a persistent issue with the power switch on my OP-1, well... persists. In my most recent email exchange with Teenage Engineering support, they pointed me to an iFixit page, which on one hand, good on them for suggesting/advocating a DIY solution, but on the other, I just want this thing fixed so I can use it. Seems like it should be their problem, not mine.

So until I can remedy that, it makes two synths (OP-1 and Shruthi) out of 17 total (in terms of hardware) in some state of disrepair/brokenness. Kind of a bummer, especially since all my synths are "modern" synths with less build/construction/electronic/electrical issues than vintage HW, but I guess I'm doing better than some people.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks for the reply Mr. Sharps! Your videos were part of what got me thinking about switching things up. Reading your workflow I realized I've very caught up on 1 pattern slot = x amount of time in the song - which gives me a lot to work on.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

minidracula posted:

So until I can remedy that, it makes two synths (OP-1 and Shruthi) out of 17 total (in terms of hardware) in some state of disrepair/brokenness.

What happened to your Shruthi?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Bolange posted:

What happened to your Shruthi?
When I got it, I noticed one of the potentiometers would wildly jump between values when adjusted, seemingly depending on force applied to the knob, but not always. Initially I thought there might be some problem with the internals of the pot, but after cracking the Shruthi open and (a little later, after inspection of the solder joints, etc.), a full replacement with ALPS pots (per the Shruthi BOM online, but not what I think was used for the pots in the one I bought) for all the pots (not just the weird one), the symptom reappeared, though this time on a different pot. I think I know what it might be, but I haven't yet had time to poke around more and confirm/test another fix.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

_Dav posted:

Oh my, my brute broke... Anyone had to deal with Arturia support before? I've submitted a 'support ticket' and have heard nothing for 4 days now...

The biggest bummer is that it's literally not left my room, traversing the distance between a desk and stored every so often for the past four months. Pitch CV out seems ok, but gate In/Out does nothing, keyboard is unable to trigger envelopes and thus no ability to make noises.
late May ^ ^ ^

Still waiting on a resolution on this. I receive an email at most once a week, respond immediately and then play the waiting game. In this time I have had 3 emails from them. Will probably have to resort to their forums at this rate, but it's hard to not be hugely passive aggressive with anything like that...

In the meantime, bought a Minilogue :)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

_Dav posted:

late May ^ ^ ^

Still waiting on a resolution on this. I receive an email at most once a week, respond immediately and then play the waiting game. In this time I have had 3 emails from them. Will probably have to resort to their forums at this rate, but it's hard to not be hugely passive aggressive with anything like that...

I had a keyboard issue with mine and it took forever to get it resolved to the point where I sent it in to them to fix. Then it was 3 months until I got it back.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

_Dav posted:

late May ^ ^ ^

Man if I had to do that I would just sell the thing for parts and use the cash toward something cool like a standalone module (dreadbox erebus maybe?) that fills the same sort of role. Then again, I was never hugely enamored with the sound of my microbrute. I wound up selling it to a bassist friend who now uses it on his pedalboard.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
*DUMB SYNTH QUESTION*

I was in a shop today and played around with an old Prophet 600 for a couple of minutes. There was a weird sound on it; the "speed" of each note changes depending on pitch. (Well, to be honest, it wasn't that weird, it's quite a common sound, I just couldn't figure out what caused it.) I recorded a video to demonstrate what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bps99srvxk4yvyi/File%2016-07-2016%2C%2018%2025%2001.mov?dl=0

The Prophet 600 doesn't have a lot of controls. Was there a pitch envelope on it or something? Or maybe it was playing sampled notes that just get repitched and played back?

Graff
May 10, 2012

Popcorn posted:

*DUMB SYNTH QUESTION*

I was in a shop today and played around with an old Prophet 600 for a couple of minutes. There was a weird sound on it; the "speed" of each note changes depending on pitch. (Well, to be honest, it wasn't that weird, it's quite a common sound, I just couldn't figure out what caused it.) I recorded a video to demonstrate what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bps99srvxk4yvyi/File%2016-07-2016%2C%2018%2025%2001.mov?dl=0

The Prophet 600 doesn't have a lot of controls. Was there a pitch envelope on it or something? Or maybe it was playing sampled notes that just get repitched and played back?

Sounds like the LFO rate is tracking the keyboard.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Graff posted:

Sounds like the LFO rate is tracking the keyboard.

Oh, that makes sense, like a square shape LFO loving with the pitch with the rate affected by the keyboard tracking?

Anyone know of a synth VST that can do that? I'm using Ableton and it looks like Analog doesn't let LFO track the keyboard, but I could be missing something. I have a bunch of VSTs including all of NI's stuff but I'm not too hot with Massive yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I can't test it at the moment, but Analog should be able to track lfo to pitch. I think is "rate>key" or some similarly named parameter.