Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChickenWing posted:

I think the main thing that we, as a thread, can bond around is that orange, powdery chemicals are delicious

Yeah but what do IT workers know about tang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but what do IT workers know about tang?

It's the original Kool Aid and drinking it was patriotic long before any of us was born. Also, it tastes variously like cement waste water or wet chewable orange vitamin tablets, depending on the strength one chooses to make it in. :v:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
LIFE HACK: Block one of the numbers used by the Phone Authentication service and use the fact that it "isn't working" as an excuse to not do work.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Grizlor posted:

LIFE HACK: Block one of the numbers used by the Phone Authentication service and use the fact that it "isn't working" as an excuse to not do work.

Who did that?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Arsten posted:

It's the original Kool Aid and drinking it was patriotic long before any of us was born. Also, it tastes variously like cement waste water or wet chewable orange vitamin tablets, depending on the strength one chooses to make it in. :v:

I loved Tang growing up, but then we were still landing people on the moon at the time.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Tang goes pretty good in cheap quality beer. Gives it some pep.

And Hawkins Cheezies are the best, Cheetos are a poor substitute. Think I'll go grab myself a bag right now in fact.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

A Ticket Came In: Claim Superiority Of Your Preferred Cheese-flavored Snack. :v:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

FireSight posted:

Who did that?

A user

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I loved Tang growing up, but then we were still landing people on the moon at the time.

As someone who spent 4 years in the boy scouts never getting past First Class, let me tell you about drinking hot Tang while freezing your balls off during the Klondike Derby

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Arsten posted:

A Ticket Came In: Claim Superiority Of Your Preferred Cheese-flavored Snack. :v:

Tang is good, the Mio orange vanilla flavor is amazing though. It makes your water taste like a Orangecicle.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
If you mix spiced rum with tang, it also tastes like an Orangecicle. :beerpal:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You all just proved my point :smug:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I saw and impulse bought a bottle of Crystal Pepsi at the grocery store yesterday. Now I have to go get clear rum for the first time in like 5 years so I can have a clear rum and coke.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

odiv posted:

I saw and impulse bought a bottle of Crystal Pepsi at the grocery store yesterday. Now I have to go get clear rum for the first time in like 5 years so I can have a clear rum and coke.

If it's not Don Q or better I will be very ashamed of you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A plate of shrimp moment:

We are in line waiting for the ferry and my daughter (8yo) asks if we can go get Cheetos at the nearby subway. I say no because tyrant.

Then I cut to this thread and 50 posts of cheetotalk. Now I really crave orange dust food.

Thanks cosmic unconsciousness!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Stop loving emailing me about new problems in an email chain from 6 months ago. Write me a new message with a subject line that isn't regarding an issue from last year.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

uPen posted:

I had one of these a few weeks ago, she decided to continue using the deleted items folder to organize her email until she moves it to another PST file for long-term storage.

Hey did you ever get this fixed?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
We provide our users with a free POP3 e-mail address with 50MB of space. Apparently one of our customers decided they didn't want to pay for Exchange, which has a 5GB limit, when they get this free e-mail service. Now they are logging us calls weekly, forwarding inbox over quota e-mails with a subject of FIX THIS NOW IM SICK OF CALLING ABOUT THIS!!!!! They refuse to understand why they can't get the same features with the free account as with the paid account, and management refuses to tell them to gently caress off with that poo poo. This has been going on for two months :smithicide:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

larchesdanrew posted:

Cheetos? Are we really living up to this cliche?

I thought the stereotype was Fritos and Tab/Mountain Dew. Jonathan Coulton wouldn't lie to me!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

deimos posted:

If it's not Don Q or better I will be very ashamed of you.

Bacardi 151 or nothing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Can you guys get Havana Club in the states or are you still having embargo related problems? Cause as far as delicious white rums go, that.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
:anime:: Hey, this esx host isn't setup with a static IP address, it's depending on DHCP.

:classiclol:: So? What's the problem?

:anime:: Why would you ever create a point of failure needlessly? And is...is the DHCP server ON this host?

:classiclol:: Still not seeing a problem here. Stop being paranoid.

I do so love this church, sometimes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You clearly need to have more faith in their heavenly host.

People like that, and also people like that but slightly less batshit are why I wasn't comfortable identifying as a Christian for most of my teen years.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

:anime:: Hey, this esx host isn't setup with a static IP address, it's depending on DHCP.

:classiclol:: So? What's the problem?

:anime:: Why would you ever create a point of failure needlessly? And is...is the DHCP server ON this host?

:classiclol:: Still not seeing a problem here. Stop being paranoid.

I do so love this church, sometimes.
I can't enable DNS aging and scavenging or convert servers from static IPs to static DHCP leases because my boss is worried that it might break something.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Potato Alley posted:

Hey did you ever get this fixed?

You can't fix people.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
A ticket came in, and I have been enlightened!
--

Although subject to intense debate associative with the humble origins and psychology of “man” (e.g. the beginning of cognitive thinking) and constitution of “work” (beyond survival and through a means of collective “gains”), modern-day scholars trace the inception of linking motivation and productivity of work (as related to efficiency and effectiveness) to the very dawn of the industrial age. This is where the first links were forged (through scientific observation, proven hypothesis theory, case study, and a host of institutional measurements and scholarly research) to actively assimilate “group” and “individual” metrics in the pursuit of positive increases in productivity. What a beautiful time it must have been to be on the leading edge of discovery – set to re-shape the world and workers as we know it. As a result, a slew of motivational and productivity testing paved the way to contemporary theory and practice – all aiming for objective results in employee motivation and organizational performance.

It is within the “greater” power and theory, the craft of management and resource allocation (a.k.a. resourcefulness) garners tactical advantages – which in turn create a cycle of work improvement where one action feeds another equal or more positive action [indifference to weaker tactics disposed] into that which is now commonly referred to as ‘continuous improvement.’ Late-comers Bartol and Martin (1998) consider motivation a powerful tool, so powerful that when executed to its design, reinforces behavior and triggers the tendency [of one: sic] to continue. More simply phrased, motivation is an “internal drive to satisfy an unsatisfied need to achieve a certain goal.” Earlier researchers concluded the same results through similar, yet more broadly defined means; such as Theory X and Y. McGregor argued that traditional management where the theory of rigid, rigorous, and inherently distrustful practices (Theory X) successfully motivated workers through a staunch value of fear/punishment and was contrary to basic human nature. He argued where others believed that most people want to be directed as opposed to more inspiring things (both intrinsic and tangible), was an inherently unsuccessful management style outside of the necessity of dealing with any “irresponsible” associates. Theory Y, as he concluded, focuses on creating peaceful and pleasant work environments to align individuals’ goals with that of the company – to one where mutual satisfaction is attained. It is here “real” motivation and, serendipitously, productivity gains are found.

At the basic tenant of all motivation and efficiency (call it Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs for motivation) is the foundation level needed to achieve peace (as synonymous with basic food & shelter) which constitute finely tuned and amply available tools of the trade. So true are the overarching concepts and pertinent research which avail such formidable success. As in many organizations, the people find great pleasure in self-direction and creativity, and, inevitably, through no fault of their own and/or typically not designed through the nefariousness of others inconsiderate actions, things break, go bad, tweak left when it should have been right. It happens. Yet, to the end user, their pathway to peace (be it inner or through external means) is lessened due to certain unfortunate events which can lead to their loss of productivity. Alas, these can be sad times, very sad indeed.

It is here, I hereby submit to you a very pleasant and peaceful, can you fix my “profile” (as it has been suggested through verbal diagnostics) to begin the normal and expeditious running of Office Suite products. She’s slow, unresponsive at times and causing critical efficiency problems toward my overall productivity and general Theory Y belief. Most sincerely ………………

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

uPen posted:

You can't fix people.

Yes you can. It's called murder.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

Is there diet? I grew up not allowed to have regular soda, so now anything non-diet tastes weird to me. :-(

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

If you put enough rum in then you stop caring.

About everything.

edit for content:

Just having a fun back and forth with someone who needs to fix an install script to use the correct registry file. I tell him it's still using the incorrect one, he tells me it's not then sends me a huge screenshot to prove it to me, which shows exactly what I was saying. Okay thanks?

edit2: Oh, I didn't see any diet, so I don't know.

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 15, 2016

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Client SOW (that they signed) states that we need 4U of rack space and available power.

I show up and there is no rack space and no power cords. Client seems surprised to find out that the NAS is 4U! Buddy you reviewed and signed the SOW. I should be surprised but I'm really not :smith:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

uPen posted:

You can't fix people.

This. I've had people straight up tell me "I use my deleted items folder to organize my E-Mail" and argue with a policy that empties messages that have been in there longer than a month. Telling them to just use a different folder is just completely unreasonable to people because they want to not deviate at all from their dumb idea. I had to explain it like "you wouldn't buy food, and then keep it in the trash in case you don't eat it, nor would you get mad at the garbage man for coming by once a week and taking away your food that you left the trash" :psyduck:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm sitting on a GoToMeeting watching our vendor configure the back-end of one of our tools with 8 different employees on the call when 2 would have sufficed.

Then again it's my own fault for being surprised; last week we had the same thing happen with 12 employees.

Thank gods for multiple monitors and a mute button as I sit back and watch my suggestions be ignored.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

Then again it's my own fault for being surprised; last week we had the same thing happen with 12 employees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmfwklFM-M

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

uPen posted:

You can't fix people.

I think a bit of Beethoven and some TV might fix rape threat guy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

pr0digal posted:

Client SOW (that they signed) states that we need 4U of rack space and available power.

I show up and there is no rack space and no power cords. Client seems surprised to find out that the NAS is 4U! Buddy you reviewed and signed the SOW. I should be surprised but I'm really not :smith:

Did they have a Lowes shelf in a vacant office for you instead?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mustache Ride posted:

:golfclap:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

pr0digal posted:

No one reads anything they sign. I've sat in a room with people and gone over documents line by line and they've come back to me two weeks later asking "why did we use THAT assumption?"

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
SOW explicitly states that support for Microsoft Office is not part of the email server migration.

Halfway through the project they ask us to perform Microsoft Office support because their on-site guy has flaked off to BFE.

Customer is warned that such will be billed at regular service rates. They agree, verbally and in email.

Customer throws screaming fit about the project going "over budget" due to these "hidden costs."

Management takes their side.

:jerkbag:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in from a client.

HDD in laptop died. Of course, it was full of important data, and now they are trying to blame us for the failure. They keep saying that they have been reporting this problem for a month. None of the coworkers remembers such conversation.

No ticket.
No email.
No problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Mustache Ride posted:

Well it's not from Lowes. I think it's from Ikea

• Locked thread