Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Nexuses have been coming out in October/November the last few times, but we're getting close to a release for Android N, and the new Android versions are usually released alongside a device. There's been years where the Nexus was released in August, too, keep in mind. If you can hold off until October I would, but by no means is the 6P a bad phone if you need a new phone right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Yeah, I'm using the 6P right now and it's literally the best phone I've ever had. Which is what I plan to tell my wife. When I give her my used Nexus 6P and buy whatever the new hotness is.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

photomikey posted:

Yeah, I'm using the 6P right now and it's literally the best phone I've ever had. Which is what I plan to tell my wife. When I give her my used Nexus 6P and buy whatever the new hotness is.

Android Police leaked the specs on two HTC-built Nexus devices, presumably to replace the 5X and 6P. They both sound good, presuming HTC doesn't gently caress up the construction.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

nocal posted:

Android Police leaked the specs on two HTC-built Nexus devices, presumably to replace the 5X and 6P. They both sound good, presuming HTC doesn't gently caress up the construction.

My last two phones before Nexus 5 and 6P were HTCs and they were pieces of crap, now it could have been all the bloatware from the carrier, but I like the LG and Huawei.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

McPhearson posted:

Airplane mode and turning on Wi-Fi?

Airplane mode did force wi-fi calling, but it was spotty. I remember I Had a wireless headset that always dropped out and the troubleshooting answered questions on its amazon page said you shouldn't be within 8 feet of the receiver. I'm just a dummy asking a dumb question but can you be too close to a router to do wifi calling?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Krinkle posted:

Airplane mode did force wi-fi calling, but it was spotty. I remember I Had a wireless headset that always dropped out and the troubleshooting answered questions on its amazon page said you shouldn't be within 8 feet of the receiver. I'm just a dummy asking a dumb question but can you be too close to a router to do wifi calling?

possibly but I am sitting next to my router within like 3 feet and make wifi calling

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm on cricket, the 35/mo 2.5 gb. I'm interested in a 5x and the discount for Fi is appealing but I'm not sure if I'd want to stick with Fi.

I use about 2.5-3gb of data a month since my work doesn't have wifi - would Fi end up being a bit more for me in that case?

Worth it to do a month of Fi to save the 150 on a 5x?

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006

Massasoit posted:

I'm on cricket, the 35/mo 2.5 gb. I'm interested in a 5x and the discount for Fi is appealing but I'm not sure if I'd want to stick with Fi.

I use about 2.5-3gb of data a month since my work doesn't have wifi - would Fi end up being a bit more for me in that case?

It'd probably be around $60+/month ($30 for the base + $25-30 at $10 per GB + taxes) based on your usage.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Massasoit posted:

Activate it with a new phone number, then switch the SIM back to your cricket SIM. Cancel at the end of the month. Consider it a $20 tax charge and be done with it.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
I just activated a few days ago, and overall I am very happy with the coverage and phone. I am curious as to how I used .6 gig of data in 3 days, primarily Faxebook according to the Fi app. I rarely used a gig a month on Sprint so something is up. I am nervous about this, I never paid attention to my data use before, never had too, and now I am looking at a huge data bill if this keeps up. I don't stream music or videos, and I put the phone in airplane mode before I downloaded the books I listen to on Audible to keep my data use down.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Facebook has tons of images and videos, it is a data hog.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah, after a bit of research I decided to delete the app and use the browser instead. Hopefully that helps.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
There is no way normal fb usage took 6 gig in 3 days unless you were like trying to ddos it with your phone. Like, my thing days I've used 113 meg on it this month...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Smythe posted:

There is no way normal fb usage took 6 gig in 3 days unless you were like trying to ddos it with your phone. Like, my thing days I've used 113 meg on it this month...

There's a decimal point in there.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Oh. I'm really stupid.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Still a lot... doesn't really hew with my XP but hell I guess I'm not a Facebook power user. Lol

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Or maybe you have no friends :mmmhmm:

Spotify has been a big user for me and I don't know why as I download everything and restrict downloading to wifi.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Can't stand Ting's random service drops anymore in RI, just picked up a 5X couldn't pass up $199

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

How well does the hangouts for SMS/call/voicemail thing work? I haven't used hangouts for SMS since they first introduced that feature (pre-Fi) and back then it was buggy and not great.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

alnilam posted:

How well does the hangouts for SMS/call/voicemail thing work? I haven't used hangouts for SMS since they first introduced that feature (pre-Fi) and back then it was buggy and not great.

Works great. Hangouts on the "big computer" makes for a nice landline-esque thing for long leisurely calls with sick fidelity.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I have been asked on multiple occasions if I'm using some sort of epic studio ISDN or something when I call a bro from my epic gaming rig with mah fat data pipe and badass gamer headset mic.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thank you. Another question: I'm planning on using my new Google Fi / Google Voice number as my primary number, but I think it might be a good idea to port my old AT&T number to google voice so that if I miss anyone with the "hey new number" messages they can still get a hold of me.

I've found things online about porting your number to Google Voice, and then immediately getting a new mobile number from your same provider (e.g. AT&T). But I'd basically just be porting my number to Voice and killing my AT&T service at the same time. Has anyone done this?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

alnilam posted:

It works but I'm thinking about going back to the Android SMS app. Hangouts has some quirks that I don't like. One example is that I can't figure out if there's a way to delete individual messages in a conversation, instead of nuking the entire thread.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
https://android.googleblog.com/2016/07/stay-connected-abroad-with-high-speed.html?m=1

3G speeds when travelling, supposedly 2.5-5mbit. Whoop.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Except for the one place in going... Bermuda!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Also they extended the 5x discount until August and added a 6p discount.

Offloading before the new devices?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Massasoit posted:

Also they extended the 5x discount until August and added a 6p discount.

Offloading before the new devices?

Even if they are the 6p is still a fantastic phone and at $150 off it is a no brainer, nothing touches it in the Android world anywhere near that price (or any price, I'd argue).

Awesome news about LTE/4G overseas. I travel a lot and while I appreciated the free 3G it was awfully slow, especially in countries that are mostly 4G now and neglect 3G.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

They also could just be trying to grow the service. My guess is that Google is using Fi to collect all kinds of fun data about network infrastructure and mobile phone usage. The fact that they're offering the 6P discount on the heels of the Three announcement makes me think they just want more Fi users.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
My 5X came in the mail today, was surprised because it was 3-5 days ground shipping and it actually came 3 days after I ordered it, activating my number only took 2 minutes to go into effect too. Also it came with a free 90 day trial of play music but idk if I want to make a new play account to get 3 months for free.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Ace of Baes posted:

My 5X came in the mail today, was surprised because it was 3-5 days ground shipping and it actually came 3 days after I ordered it, activating my number only took 2 minutes to go into effect too. Also it came with a free 90 day trial of play music but idk if I want to make a new play account to get 3 months for free.

So far Google has beaten every shipping date they've listed for me, even for free replacement Fi cards.

I think you still have time so if you haven't done it look at their protection plan. I had never dropped a phone in my life (or rather, never dropped one and shattered the screen) but it happened to my 6p just last month and I had a no hassle replacement fresh in the box 2 days later. It's worth the coin.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Ixian posted:

So far Google has beaten every shipping date they've listed for me, even for free replacement Fi cards.

I think you still have time so if you haven't done it look at their protection plan. I had never dropped a phone in my life (or rather, never dropped one and shattered the screen) but it happened to my 6p just last month and I had a no hassle replacement fresh in the box 2 days later. It's worth the coin.

Yeah I have a toddler so I got it when I signed up, her favorite hobbies are pickpocketing me and my wife and throwing stuff in the dogs kennel.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So just received my Nexus 5X and setup my Fi account, everything went pretty smoothly but i'm kind of confused by a few things (it's google hangouts it always is)

1: I like being able to make/receive phone calls from my computers, are there any additional steps I need to do to continue this? I'm guessing just leaving my google chrome extension is good enough.

2: Text and Minute charges are where i'm confused the most, for me to avoid data charges with text and phone calls those need to not go through the hangouts app period correct?

3: If I disable SMS in hangouts i'll no longer receive text messages on my computers, so what is everyones alternatives to that?

I hope these questions make sense.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You don't get charged for calls or texts, period. There isn't anything you have to do.

You can turn off SMS in Hangouts. You need to turn it off in the regular settings menu AND go to your account settings to turn it off there.

There's a ton of SMS apps out there. I use Google's own Messenger. Or you can use Facebook's Messenger app (yes, having two apps named "messenger" is confusing). I think people still like Textra as a 3rd party choice.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I don't even have a Google fi phone but looking at their plan it's pretty much text and calls are free and that the only thing that increases your bill is if you use data when you're away from a WiFi signal? I think I heard that if you live in a city, Google is awesome at keeping you using WiFi data and you almost never pay anything for data?

Like one of the things I love about fi is how simple the plan is.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I've been using Fi for the last seven months, and my bill has been constantly in the $56-$58 range. That's cheaper than my old bill, but that INCLUDES my $27 no-interest payoff fee for my Nexus 6p. If I paid it off, I find myself only using 600-800 mb of data since I use Wifi at work and I don't stream music on the way home so my bill would be around $25-27 dollars.

My only small complaint is that every now and then I find a weird spot where it says I have no service. If I turn airplane mode off and on, then it finds LTE almost every time. It's a pretty rare occurrence, and I'm definitely happy with the service. If Google ever threw in free Google Play Music streaming like T-Mobile does, it would be a knockout.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Photex posted:

So just received my Nexus 5X and setup my Fi account, everything went pretty smoothly but i'm kind of confused by a few things (it's google hangouts it always is)

1: I like being able to make/receive phone calls from my computers, are there any additional steps I need to do to continue this? I'm guessing just leaving my google chrome extension is good enough.

2: Text and Minute charges are where i'm confused the most, for me to avoid data charges with text and phone calls those need to not go through the hangouts app period correct?

3: If I disable SMS in hangouts i'll no longer receive text messages on my computers, so what is everyones alternatives to that?

I hope these questions make sense.

Google could have done a better job at explaining things, but I'll try to lay it out:

You can receive SMS through Hangouts or any other app (Messenger, Textra, whatever). This doesn't matter. The option in Hangouts to "merge SMS and Hangouts" doesn't matter. You get unlimited SMS this way. However, the SMS will not be on your computer unless you use some other app specifically for this.

There is an option within Hangouts, when you click on your Google account. The settings look like this:

If you flip that switch labeled "Messages" then all your SMS will use data (billed at regular data rates, or free on wifi) and also show up on your computer, and allow you to reply on your computer.

Hope this helped and didn't make it more confusing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I guess I get to be coincidentally on-topic here: I think I'm done trying to use Hangouts for SMS and voicemail. There are just enough little quirks and missing bits of usability compared to the stock SMS and Dialer apps, that I don't want to deal with it anymore. For example, the fact that I can't delete individual messages from a conversation. This has been possible in the Android texting app since I first ever used Android, during the days of 2.2 Froyo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Silly Burrito posted:

My only small complaint is that every now and then I find a weird spot where it says I have no service. If I turn airplane mode off and on, then it finds LTE almost every time.

Signal Spy has proven invaluable to me. Like at my sister's house, it defaults to Sprint, but Sprint is weird there and just sometimes stops giving me data despite showing full bars. Manually setting it to TMobile is annoying, but it at least fixes the problem.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Uthor posted:

Signal Spy has proven invaluable to me. Like at my sister's house, it defaults to Sprint, but Sprint is weird there and just sometimes stops giving me data despite showing full bars. Manually setting it to TMobile is annoying, but it at least fixes the problem.

Wow, I hadn't used this before and it's well worth the two bucks for the detailed data usage feature alone. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
If I am already on project fi am I eligible for the discounted phone if I buy one or is it only for new fi customers?