Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

The only argument I can see is that they shouldn't have cropped his art or modified it without his permission. Either use it as drawn or don't use it.
Why not? He was hired on a work-for-hire basis and has been paid for this, likely at a very favorable rate. His work is theirs to do with as they please and he can continue being a big baby every time someone criticizes his efforts. I will grant that if you don't want your cover featuring sexy, scantily-clad women, Cho is probably not the best hire for cover artist, but that's another discussion completely.

Really, though, this wouldn't even be an issue if they'd just let Wonder Woman wear pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Could someone post the image here? Curious to see how bad it is (also apparently I am to lazy to Google it)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Madkal posted:

Could someone post the image here? Curious to see how bad it is (also apparently I am to lazy to Google it)

Bout midway down this page:
http://www.comicsbeat.com/frank-cho-quits-over-his-right-to-draw-wonder-womans-panties/

It's pretty dang tame which is all the more hilarious that Cho threw such a temper tantrum about it. I mean they cropped her knees off too, why isn't he upset about that?

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 15, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

It's not bad at all. By typical DC standards it's tame. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd post it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I remember when Cho was the clown drawing Liberty Meadows, his lovely Bloom County knockoff with pinup girl art strip. Good times.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 15, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
All right. While we're (sorta) on the topic, crazy speculation time: What the heck is going on with Wonder Woman's history and the "lies?" What's going to be the eventual reveal?

Theory #1: Circe did it. Circe did everything. That sneaky bwitch has been conspicuously absent from the entirety of Nu52, Rucka is very familiar with the character, and taking advantage of the missing ten years to make up a bunch of lies to confuse Diana with fits her M.O. pretty tightly.
Cons: Pretty generic and predictable resolution to the mystery unless Rucka can somehow reinvent the character into unexpected awesomeness.

Theory #2: Dr. Manhattan did it...him, or whoever else from the Watchmen who stole the ten years (I'm still not convinced that Jon Osterman is the real perp behind everything) are also directly responsible for any fake weirdness going on in Wonder Woman's life. Just part and parcel of the whole DC Universe Rebirth event shebang.
Cons: Super forced and inorganic. Does not fit in with Wonder Woman's mythological motifs.

Theory #3: Granny Goodness did it.
Cons: NONE

Theory #4, the nuclear max clusterfuck option: Any one of the above, except both her old origin and her new origin are true, because:

There are two different Hippolytas, from two different periods of history. Rucka already tossed out a clue, for anyone obsessive enough to note: when wrapped by the lasso, Diana noted that her mother Hippolyta is the tenth queen of the Amazons. This is already a change, because she had always ever been the only queen before now. Maybe all of the Amazon Queens are named Hippolyta, in honor of the O.G.? Or maybe just those two.

So let's say: Hippolyta #1, or Blonde Hippolyta, fell in love with Zeus and had his baby. Maybe this happened in ancient times. Maybe this happened as recently as...say, World War I or II. This "Diana" grew up shamed in a harsh Amazon society...BUT, slowly changed their views with her heroic exploits until they were not crazy mean anymore. Unfortunately, this Diana died, maybe by sacrificing herself for something or another.

Fast-forward to modern times. Hippolyta #2, aka Brunette Hippolyta, asked the gods for a child and they sent the reincarnated soul of the original Diana into her clay sculpture. Viola, now we have modern age Diana, who grew up in a better Amazon society (as shaped by her own deeds), but has been experiencing visions of her past life.

There's also a little hint of this in the most recent WW issue, where the Amazon Kasia says "I'd sooner forget what I remember, my friend. My life as a woman slain at the hands of the man who took offense at my refusal of him? No, thank you." It's a little gramatically-interpretable, but it seems like she's talking about having been killed in the outside world and then being reborn in Themyscira. In the Perez mythos this is how all the original Amazons were created, from the souls of murdered women (not sure they have memories of their past lives though), but that explanation has never been used to create new Amazons...until now, perhaps? For one thing it would make Diana and Kasia's (and Io's) relationship way less weird since they would legitimately be around her age and not thousands of years older. And if Amazons occasionally being born from reincarnated women is just A Thing that happens now then it stands to reason that Diana herself is one such instance.

tl;dr My guess is it's not that Diana is remembering a false life, it's that she's remember a different life.

(:tinfoil:)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have to admit the first three issues of Rucka's Wonder Woman have left me completely underwhelmed. It was one of the books I was most excited for and I'm just not really digging it so far. I'm not sure if it's a product of hype or a product of really loving Legend of Wonder Woman so much that anything pretty much pales in comparison to it. Even something by Rucka.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah based on other things Rucka has done I am fully expecting to find out that Flashback Diana and Present Diana are not the same person.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry about the panties, Cho :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Compromise: DC publish the panty cover, but put that big ol' Suicide Squad movie ad over her butt.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Legend of Wonder Woman really does set an overwhelming standard. I like Renae de Liz's vision of Themiscyra and mythology much more -- it's such good world-building, on par with Perez -- but I think I like this Diana and this Steve a little more than hers (from what little we've seen). She's a little less Omen Child and he's a little more Farmer's Market Hot. :v:

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah based on other things Rucka has done I am fully expecting to find out that Flashback Diana and Present Diana are not the same person.
Well I think the current two Dianas appearing in the book -- the one in "Year One" and the one in "The Lies" -- has to be the same person because the same Steve Trevor knows them. My theory is that there was a Diana before the Year One Diana, and that's the one whose memories are encroaching on her current incarnation.

Maybe I've also watched too much Avatar

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Thematically, as an exploration of how myths, and by extension comic book origin stories, get rewritten to fit the times they're told in, it's super interesting. Like, it's the same kind of ideas Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing were exploring with Loki, and if Rucka is getting at that I can only see it being great. Plus Nicola Scott is kinda killing it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I did really like Nicola Scott's art. Again, it's no Renae De Liz, but it's the strongest part of Rucka's book so far. Sharp's art is fine but nothing I'm crazy about.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BrianWilly posted:

Legend of Wonder Woman really does set an overwhelming standard. I like Renae de Liz's vision of Themiscyra and mythology much more -- it's such good world-building, on par with Perez -- but I think I like this Diana and this Steve a little more than hers (from what little we've seen). She's a little less Omen Child and he's a little more Farmer's Market Hot. :v:
Well I think the current two Dianas appearing in the book -- the one in "Year One" and the one in "The Lies" -- has to be the same person because the same Steve Trevor knows them. My theory is that there was a Diana before the Year One Diana, and that's the one whose memories are encroaching on her current incarnation.

Maybe I've also watched too much Avatar

That just means they have the same memories. If she's some reincarnating vessel of a deity/myth it could still work.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I did really like Nicola Scott's art. Again, it's no Renae De Liz, but it's the strongest part of Rucka's book so far. Sharp's art is fine but nothing I'm crazy about.

Have you seen Black Magick? I think that rendering suits her so much better. I was amazed that it was the same person who used to do Earth 2.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I read through the 1987 Justice League mini-series today

These are probably my favorite pages to ever involve Guy Gardner.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah, the days when thought bubbles were still a thing...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
These super vivid colors freak me out.

As for Cho, anything that keeps that MRA trollfire out of mainstream work is A-OK with me. Odd that he was kicked off of variant cover work, but I can see him freaking out about it easily.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FilthyImp posted:

As for Cho, anything that keeps that MRA trollfire out of mainstream work is A-OK with me. Odd that he was kicked off of variant cover work, but I can see him freaking out about it easily.

He wasn't kicked off, he threw a hissyfit and walked.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Don't worry. When they reprint it, they'll make it all muted earth tones for ya :)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

Don't worry. When they reprint it, they'll make it all muted earth tones for ya :)

No lie, but these modern print papers suck. I walked into a nice corner LCBS the other month and the smell of musty paper was divine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I mean, that's the thing. Comics are colored for the paper they're being printed on, and colors that were intended for newsprint will be much more vivid when printed on modern paper (or sent direct to digital).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

I've seen these pages posted probably a hundred times in my years on The Internet and I just now noticed Beetle tossing Guy's ring away in the second panel there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Point of order, but it's not a mini, it just changed names to JLI at #7. And it only gets better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They shouldn't be afraid to keep the printed texture and halftones in reprints and digital, but I'm fine with making them clean flats. Anything as long as it's not a whole bunch of new gradients and lighting effects NEIL ADAMS BATMAN COLLECTIONS!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

They shouldn't be afraid to keep the printed texture and halftones in reprints and digital, but I'm fine with making them clean flats. Anything as long as it's not a whole bunch of new gradients and lighting effects NEIL ADAMS BATMAN COLLECTIONS!
Those books are disgusting. :barf:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 15, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I've seen these pages posted probably a hundred times in my years on The Internet and I just now noticed Beetle tossing Guy's ring away in the second panel there.

That's actually how Guy ends up getting his massive head trauma, not Batman's punch. He crawls under a machine to recover the ring and smashes his head.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cho is claiming it was Greg Rucka that had the cover censored but unless something has changed in the last 6 hours Rucka has not commented and it's most likely editorial that cropped the cover and Cho is just throwing a hissy fit for attention.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

That's actually how Guy ends up getting his massive head trauma, not Batman's punch. He crawls under a machine to recover the ring and smashes his head.

Is massive head trauma a prerequisite for being a Green Lantern? I don't really read the character.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I bet comics companies can't wait to work with an artist who takes his ball and goes home if anyone affects the visibility of women's underpants in his art.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Space Fish posted:

I bet comics companies can't wait to work with an artist who takes his ball and goes home if anyone affects the visibility of women's underpants in his art.

Yeah and I bet they were already super excited to hire a dude who uses their characters to make his lovely sexist faux-outrage points for him on sketch covers.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Roth posted:

Lmao. One punch!!!!

I remember an issue of the 2nd volume of Justice League of America where Batman, WW, and Superman are arguing about Batman punching Guy and Superman goes "Oohhhh, it felt good, didn't it?" Hilarious.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Travis343 posted:

Is massive head trauma a prerequisite for being a Green Lantern? I don't really read the character.

Yes

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Space Fish posted:

Was it underpants, or the rest of her swimsuit under her battle skirt?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Was it underpants, or the rest of her swimsuit under her battle skirt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Lx2ihpGbc

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

the greatest Green Lantern :911:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I support Frank Cho, have met him, and he's a really cool dude. I love his art too.

Also Adam Hughes was touched by the divine to bring his art to humanity.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Gatts posted:

I support Frank Cho, have met him, and he's a really cool dude. I love his art too.

Also Adam Hughes was touched by the divine to bring his art to humanity.

He seems like your kind of people

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
After all these years of seeing those pages posted, it's only now that I understand the way Blue Beetle is drawn in the second page. It's as if his head is leaned all the way back and we're looking at his chin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Travis343 posted:

Hal takes repeated head shots like he wrestles for WWE. There's a sequence. I think Guy legitimately goes from being a nice special-ed teacher to, well, Guy Gardner due to head injuries.

I don't think Kyle or John had major head injuries. Simon Baz probably not either (that's what the gun is for!)