Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I love playing ambush battles but it's so rare for it to work so that should be pretty fun. Hope Wood Elves gets it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kainser posted:

I love playing ambush battles but it's so rare for it to work so that should be pretty fun. Hope Wood Elves gets it as well.

I've gotta a couple sweet ones off, it's the best. I clowned Marienburg one game by baiting their big army into ambush. A good ambush is among the most fun you can have in this game IMO.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
My favorite ambush was against Marienburg as well where my Light Wizard netted all their 5 or so missile cavalry units right at the start :getin:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My god, after a few days of trying I finally managed to get a VC game where the orcs didn't eat poo poo and get completely rolled by the loving dwarves, and thus finally got to prop the green fuckers up until they wrecked every dwarf ever. Of course, then Tilea had to be a bitch and call the Grimgor into a fight with me, just because I was picking apart their poo poo. So I ended up fighting an absolutely ridiculous defense at Akendorf against like three orc stacks with two bonus WAAAGHs on board with Kemmler's army. Naturally, since the AI is poo poo at sieges I won, and for some reason this made the Orcs want to not only sue for peace, but also become my vassal? For some reason? I don't know. I immediately turned them around and set them to piss all over the Empire from the south while I hit it from Averland and Wissenland. The Empire had taken over the entirety of Bretonnia and Estalia (thereby ensuring I didn't have to bother fighting Grail Knights), and so Grimgor's giant piles of green from the south combined with my wave of death from the east squeezed them out of existence and I finally got the loving achievement and oh my loving god I hate dwarves.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, my hatred of dwarves rises more and more with each game I've played. I think it was a few games ago that my policy became "raze the lot of them first chance you get" no matter what faction I'm playing as. Greenskins? It's a razing because I don't feel like defending new stuff and I can just confederate or crush whatever other tribe re-settles. And if they re-settle I can just enjoy razing them again in a weakened state. I can pick up the razed provinces myself at my leisure. Vampires? It's a razing because dead provinces are both secure and tend to ensure a faster spread of corruption to further discourage resettling. Empire? You bet it's a razing because they tend to hate bretonnia which I tend to like. Completely killing them and knowing I won't need to bother with garrisons/the buildings I can build instead of garrisons near their mountains are worth more than the trade gold to me.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
so it sounds to me like Beastmen are basically an army of sneaky glass cannons? is that close?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

so it sounds to me like Beastmen are basically an army of sneaky glass cannons? is that close?

With charge bonuses out the wazoo, probably.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
How do you guys deal with Savage Orks when playing as Greenskins? Autoresolve tells me it's either 50/50 or 80/20 in my favour but I inevitably get totally destroyed or Close Victory on the battlefield. I'm talking large amounts of Savage Orc Arrer Boyz, Boar Boy Big Uns and Trolls. Currently thanks to some poor planning and previous losses I have around 4 Big Uns, 2 Boyz, 2 standard Night Goblins, 2 Arrer Boyz, 2 Trolls, 3 Spider Rider Archers, 2 Trolls along with a wyvern-mounted Lord and a level 2 Orc Shaman (Gaze of Mork). Playing on Hard, Savage Orcs give me the most problems out of all enemies I've fought so far.

I think a lot of my problems stem from not being able to bring decent cavalry to tie up the Arrer Boyz who mess up my Big Uns/everything, as well as not being able to deal with the Boar Boyz outside of skirmishing them to death with the Spider Riders. I'm interested to hear how everyone else deals with them! Also some general tips for the orc Wyvern mount which feels like a bit of a step down much like the Boar mount, but then again I'm probably misusing it against Boar Boy Big Un/skirmisher heavy armies

also sneaky chaos goatmen based in the badlands/tilea sound like a lot of fun to play as or against, price be damned.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Goblin archers are your best counter to savage orcs. I'm dead serious, they're infantry has an armor rating of 0, and the large goblin unit sizes means a lot of arrows.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

^^ Yep. I use Night Goblin personally, but for all intents normal should do fine as well.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Beastman units we aren't getting with the dlc:

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The light flyers of the Beastman army are the Harpies. These monsters are good for hunting artillery and covering flanks though they can't stand up in a prolonged brawl.

The Ghorgon is a terrifying monster, so mutated by warp energies that even the Beastmen don't truly know what may have originally been. The Ghorgon will shred any unit it comes into close combat with and will feast on its victims. It lacks armour however so it needs to be kept clear of gun lines and monster hunters.

One of the most bizarre creatures in all Warhammer is the Jabberslythe. This winged warp mutant hits hard in battle, can fire at range and is so ugly that nearby units run the risk of going insane if they look at it. It's a versatile and dangerous top-tier unit for the Beastmen.

Some of the coolest ones :(

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kainser posted:

boycotting until bird tits

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Vargs posted:

I hope we get all the TT units eventually. The empire swordsman even yell "Where are the flagellants when you need them?!"

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

^^ Yep. I use Night Goblin personally, but for all intents normal should do fine as well.

Night Goblin archers are fantastic and you should replace all your regular Goblin archers with them asap. Poison ranged attacks are amazing for loving the enemy over, and Night Goblins' vanguard deployment and remaining hidden while moving in any terrain means you can set up some nice flanks/ambushes.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

Goblin archers are your best counter to savage orcs. I'm dead serious, they're infantry has an armor rating of 0, and the large goblin unit sizes means a lot of arrows.

Dandywalken posted:

I thought I was missing something, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys!

I keep forgetting to re-tool my armies specifically to fight what I'm facing - my goblin-heavy army that utterly destroyed the Border Princes in the north is now taking 'uge casualties against half-stacks of their angry Dwarf friends. I'm just too used to building up a core of roman heavy infantry and face-rolling across the known world.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Vargs posted:

Looking forward to the outrage when CA doesn't model the Witch Elf breasts just right.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kainser posted:

Looking forward to the outrage when CA doesn't model the Witch Elf breasts just right.

There will be a day 1 mod to fix this (by taking their tops off) so nobody will care

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Sadly this game will probably get me to buy every stupid overpriced unit pack, unlike any other total war.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kainser posted:

I guess the Ghorgon got removed for having a similar role to the Giant, but it is a bloody crime to take away the Beastmen's airforce, specially the Jabberslythe.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ZearothK posted:

I guess the Ghorgon got removed for having a similar role to the Giant, but it is a bloody crime to take away the Beastmen's airforce, specially the Jabberslythe.

Does the Jabberslythe actually fly? I assumed the wings were just for show.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Giant is probably just to save work on assets, sadly. I'd like to see the Ghorgon instead, but meh.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There are just too many giants in these warhams!!!

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Spiros posted:

With charge bonuses out the wazoo, probably.

drat, this actually sounds like a really fun army.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there anything that nerds love more than whining about having to spend too much of their paper route money for what they perceive to be too little dlc content? Man the usual crybaby sources for TW are already on fire about NO JABBERSLYTHE 20$ MY CHILDHOOD :( :(

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Factions that probably also will get reskinned giants: Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell, at least they bothered to reskin the giant to make it fit in with the army a bit better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Get the Kislev mod guy to reskin a griffon-bear into a Jabberslythe.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I hope we get all the TT units eventually. The empire swordsman even yell "Where are the flagellants when you need them?!"

This is gonna be a running gag, isn't it? Every new faction is gonna complain at some missing unit or general.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

This would be amazing

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Chomp8645 posted:

Uh, it has wings dude.

Reskin a pegasus

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Put that fucker in the generic T-pose and just have it slide through the air, horrifying all that gaze upon it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is there anything that nerds love more than whining about having to spend too much of their paper route money for what they perceive to be too little dlc content? Man the usual crybaby sources for TW are already on fire about NO JABBERSLYTHE 20$ MY CHILDHOOD :( :(

jabberslythe is cool though. give me the jabberslythes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey guys so I talked to a modder about making a desert faction of beastmen for the Orks and Dwarfs to fight and work's already begun. Check it.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
The nerd rage happening over this DLC announcement is entertaining.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I've seen a couple of posts along the lines of "that's a bit pricey and it's a shame there's no jabberslythe", is that what passes for entertaining nerd rage these days or did I miss something?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

where is our Macho Man Randy Savage Wyvern mod anyway?

Wafflecopper posted:

I've seen a couple of posts along the lines of "that's a bit pricey and it's a shame there's no jabberslythe", is that what passes for entertaining nerd rage these days or did I miss something?

I mean, there are some folks going berserk because Total War fans, but it's been pretty tame imo. They do have a point, the exclusion of some of their biggest units and the price sucks a little bit. I'm still picking it up, but it smells slightly of laziness on CA's part.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Try venturing into other forums, where the DLC apparently costs $20 and your immortal soul.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

madmac posted:

Try venturing into other forums,

:frogout:

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

gently caress u CA no jabberslythe remember carthage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey guys so I talked to a modder about making a desert faction of beastmen for the Orks and Dwarfs to fight and work's already begun. Check it.

what was the actual name for that insane medieval 2 mod? total retardation?

• Locked thread