Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

axleblaze posted:

drat good episode. Jake taking out his finger bone is the type of thing that could scar a kid though

I think it scarred me. Most horrifying thing I've ever seen in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Hell yeah that was one of my favorite episodes in quite a while. Some parts almost rang a little too true for comfort, which happens for me in a select few episodes, the other recent example being the Huntress Wizard episode. It's a kid's show, but the writers are smart and touch on a lot of common but subtle parts of the human experience.

And of course Jake's remaining child turns out to be some kind of chill teenage ultra sorceress who lives on the far side of the planet. Probably my favorite "Jake's Kids" episode, although I really liked the one with Kim Kil Whan.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
^^ This was def my favorite of the Jake's kids episodes. Charlie is my pretty much my favorite, second to T.V. only because he is voiced by Dan Mintz.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's always really hard for me to remember TV is supposed to be a male because I just associate that voice with Tina. It's funny because there's nothing girlish about that voice but still my brain will not unconnect it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This episode was aimed at twenty-somethings, and as a twenty-something myself, I hated that it was the case. Make cartoons for kids, drat it. I want to watch cartoons for kids!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Paladinus posted:

This episode was aimed at twenty-somethings, and as a twenty-something myself, I hated that it was the case. Make cartoons for kids, drat it. I want to watch cartoons for kids!

I think one of the premises of this show was that it was supposed to grow up with its audience. In the first season Finn was 12. Finn's grown up as the seasons go on, and the storytelling has too. A viewer who was 12 when the show started is now like, 18 now. This episode was for that viewer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the episode still had enough wacky card war goodness that people of all ages could enjoy it.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I'm creeping up on my 30's, and I think I'll refer to them as the dignified decade when people start pointing them out.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pavlov posted:

I think one of the premises of this show was that it was supposed to grow up with its audience. In the first season Finn was 12. Finn's grown up as the seasons go on, and the storytelling has too. A viewer who was 12 when the show started is now like, 18 now. This episode was for that viewer.

They should stop watching cartoons if they are 18, lol.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Got to do something when you light up. AT is a good choice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hall of Egress got an Emmy nom. Great choice!!

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Hall of Egress got an Emmy nom. Great choice!!

:bravo:

I read the next two episodes are called "Preboot" and "Reboot", I wonder if something big is gonna go down

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Paladinus posted:

They should stop watching cartoons if they are 18, lol.

How old are you..?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I think the episode still had enough wacky card war goodness that people of all ages could enjoy it.
I saw that Alia Shakwat voiced Charlie. I haven't seen every episode- has she had her own one already, or was this her first one?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

I saw that Alia Shakwat voiced Charlie. I haven't seen every episode- has she had her own one already, or was this her first one?

She even squeezed in a AD joke "you definitely have a type"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

a cop posted:

How old are you..?

It's okay if you're old enough, then it's RETRO to watch cartoons for children.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Adults develop irony required to watch children's cartoons around 22.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am pretty sure I understood nothing beyond the very basica happenstances in this episode. Like, this being aimed at people in their 20s? No idea what you are talking about. Charlie's self-reading? Don't have a clue what that was about.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-0jzItr-cg

Comicon Preview of the season finale

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Has there been any insight into the seemingly sporadic and random airing of new episodes for this last season? Are the glory days of a new AT episode once a week over?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

7seven7 posted:

Has there been any insight into the seemingly sporadic and random airing of new episodes for this last season? Are the glory days of a new AT episode once a week over?

Probably the same thing that happened to SU, UG, Clarence, and WBB (and to a lesser extent regular show)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Episode 1: Finn needs to keep the Candy People from being afraid of zombies at a slumber party

Episode 2: Jake accidentally gets The Lumps and has to follow Lumpy Space Princess to her homeland for a cure
Episode 235: Finn suffers existential ennui after he kills his sacrificed alternate universe dreamself that was made into his sword by a extra-dimensional entity that is itself a manifestation of an old man's dream. After his friends try to cheer him up he's instead drawn to the music of a being that was created at the end of the world, who's face is the earth. After they flirt the two sing a beautiful ethereal song and his dreamself shows glimmers of being restored.

Episode 236: Jake's daughter takes her father's bone and uses it in a spell to read the future. Her father meanwhile becomes possessed with the demon of his past self. In her dreamlike trance she sees herself through every stage in life from her own past (future) demons through to parenthood, and into old age. She embraces her elder wiser self and gains her own wisdom long before her time and uses this knowledge and the love she has for her father to exorcise his demonic form.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree, this show rules.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Our future lemon president

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/759222916387069952

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

President Orangegrab.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't say that I don't find the idea of dripped hot sauce into his eye while he sleeps extremely appealing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHs5mBYLdHU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Too many bacon pancakes

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Speaking of things coming back up...

Any news on the rest of the season?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Are we ever getting new episodes?

Also, gently caress, I'm phone posting and I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to embedding videos from a phone.

https://youtu.be/E8gDvbsYd0Q

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There's still a two-part season finale to be shown, but who the hell knows when Cartoon Network actually airs it. They're reaching "Disney XD's handling of Gravity Falls" levels of WTF scheduling.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Better make that a Series finale.

In 2018.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-adventure-time-announces-finale-20160928-snap-story.html

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 29, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice. I like when things get end dates, and that's still two more full seasons and God knows what else.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Sad, but probably for the best.

Hopefully this spawns like 20 new awesome shows when all that talent is loosed on the world

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Guess who's still desperately trying to feign relevance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gDvbsYd0Q

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It may just be getting old, but I'm glad to see an end date on the series. We'll hopefully see a lot of good resolution to any dangling story threads, with plenty of space for humor and good times.

Plus like Bass Bottles said, I'm really interested in seeing what spawns from the talent pool they've been working with. We've had some great things come out already, and I'm looking forward to even more hits!

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

RedMagus posted:

It may just be getting old, but I'm glad to see an end date on the series. We'll hopefully see a lot of good resolution to any dangling story threads, with plenty of space for humor and good times.

Agreed. I would much rather see this show die with dignity rather than carry on through infinite degrees of crapitude like The Simpsons or Spongebob. Plus nine seasons is a drat good run for any cartoon, least of all one as oddball as AT.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Not too broken up about this news. Still love the show but it's had a good long run, and I'm glad that it's not ending on half-assed short notice.

RedMagus posted:

Plus like Bass Bottles said, I'm really interested in seeing what spawns from the talent pool they've been working with. We've had some great things come out already, and I'm looking forward to even more hits!

Last I heard, Jesse Moynihan was working on a full length Manly series. It's been a while since he left the show and I'm ready for a pure-strain Moynihan series about existentialism and third-eye crystal poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just caught wind of the end-date thing and it's re-piqued my interest, I haven't really paid close attention to Adventure Time in a while except for catching the odd episode but it might be worth getting caught up if there's going to be an actual ending. The show's meandered so much and had so many changes it'll be interesting to see what they consider a suitable ending for the series even looks like.

I remember thinking the whole Lich ending of season 2 seemed like a series finale at the time, like they'd hedged their bets in case the show wasn't renewed and then walked it back in season 3, but the show's gone so much further than it had by that point and seems to have kept going strong after I stopped following along.

• Locked thread