Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hated how I got my shelter working, went to bed, and woke up and everything has gone to poo poo, becuase the game needs 24.7 attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

So, uh, has anyone played both Far Harbor and the New Vegas mod Autumn Leaves? There are some allegations that Bethesda plagiarized the mod in creating the questline Brain Dead/Vault 118. I haven't played Autumn Leaves, does this claim hold up?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Almost certainly a coincidence; even if it wasn't Bethesda owns the tools used to make the mod and the game used to play the mod, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't straight up take anything they want.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

All of FO4's major features / gameplay improvements originated in free mods for past games, but they don't really need anyone's help to come up with rote questlines

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Wouldn't be the first time a developer took ideas from a mod, improved on them and added them to their game.

Weapon Mod Kits and RobCo Certified are probably the most famous.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Speaking as someone who has yet to play far harbour. At level 6. For my first quest. scribe Haylen sent me to find tech at a place called "Zephyr ridge"

on a scale of 1-10. How badly does she want me dead?

I died something like 6 times just getting to the boat.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Oh, Bethesda's got jokes.

Particularly in the south-central part of the map between Egret Tours and Jamaica Plain.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

anyone have the problem where your arm becomes invisible and you can't see your pipboy when you stealth, and it doesn't fix?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sensenmann posted:

Wouldn't be the first time a developer took ideas from a mod, improved on them and added them to their game.

The whole settlement system is a throttled adaptation of a really good Skyrim mod. Down to them being randomly attacked.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Deified Data posted:

Yeah Shelter was fun for about a week, then you reach the point where you realize everything you built up to that point was to balance your Vault's resource consumption, and once you've done that with the low-tier resource rooms the only thing left to build are...more advanced resource rooms.

The latest shelter update added quests (some multipart) you can send your people out on where you end up exploring areas, getting neat stuff, etc.

Certainly adds something to do if you've built out a bunch of crap in your vault.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

Speaking as someone who has yet to play far harbour. At level 6. For my first quest. scribe Haylen sent me to find tech at a place called "Zephyr ridge"

on a scale of 1-10. How badly does she want me dead?

I died something like 6 times just getting to the boat.

Probably about a 15+.

I know when I first wandered by there chasing compass markers, I about got murdered (and my Doombot was KO'd entirely) by loving high-explosive projectiles literally *whistling* in, which I've only run into once since then.

This was well past level 110, BTW.

In fully-pimped power armor.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Sensenmann posted:

The Far Harbor quest is definitely not an improvement over Autumn Leaves. RobCo Certified is arguable.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I could have sworn that Crispin Freeman did the voice of the bait shop vendor. But appears not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

2house2fly posted:

Almost certainly a coincidence; even if it wasn't Bethesda owns the tools used to make the mod and the game used to play the mod, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't straight up take anything they want.

I don't know if it's that clear cut.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

If wood and steel counts, than I have more than 100 pieces of junk in my workbench before I leave Sanctuary.

Crafting components do not count against the junk limit for scavenging stations.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

xutech posted:

anyone have the problem where your arm becomes invisible and you can't see your pipboy when you stealth, and it doesn't fix?

Fixes, in order of inconvenience:

1. Pop a stealthboy and do not crouch or go through a loading screen until it wears off. (No crouching because there's a perk that literally makes you invisible for a split second when you crouch that is the most common cause of this glitch for me.)
2. Save, quit to main menu, reload.
3. Save, quit to desktop. Go grab water because you haven't moved in 3 hours. Restart game, reload.

1 only works half the time, 2 works 95 percent of the time, 3 works every time.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i finished building my own little space for me at red rocket. i think this is the first thing i made that i'm really happy with. i'm not finished lighting it the way i'd like but i like it.

just in case anyone misses the large red rocket, i provided a handy sign that says "red rocket." i think it gets the point across

the front yard is a nice place to chill, with picket fences, a mutfruit orchard, and around the corner an outhouse and a shed for my fusion generator. the picket fence pretty much fit perfectly with the shed and the side entrance of the gas station, which i am pitiably happy about. this is a load bearing gas station, right? because at the top of those blue stairs is my three story home.

the first story is the armor and trophy room, where i display the bodies and the clothing of my kills. a courser uniform, a bos uniform and maxson's jacket shows that i chumped the bos and the institute. rip in my musuem

all the armor sets in the game are here in the trophy room

i killed so many loving raiders to complete the heavy raider armor set. also synth armor is goddamn bad looking. there's room for display cases and weapon displays. plan to populate it with weapons of note, once i remember which settlement workshop i dumped those in

on to the second story. it's the wasteland, and law is a memory. that means i can wallpaper the exterior of my house with modern art to make it look pretty. i'm a goddamn general

second story is smaller and dedicated to my modest power armor collection. i've got three sets of x01 armor that aren't here. figured they deserve something more prominent but haven't figured it out. in the left corner is a nice curving exit to a patio. the curved floor and wall piece from the concrete set is cool.

third story, my room. in this corner is a display of all the weapons that saw me through the game back when enemies were an actual threat and the possibility that i'd be challenged by content existed. i'm level 116 now and nothing matters anymore. the power fist is the one from swan. good memories with that power fist

i wake up from bed and go straight to the computer where i play red menace. finally, art imitates life. i dumped all my holotapes into that footlocker on the table. at least the holotapes i could. it's really annoying that some of them are tagged as quest items and can't be removed from your person long after the quest was relevant

i'm a general. never actually used laser muskets, but wtf it's the minutemen so why not put it there

inside the gas station itself, i've done a meager amount of work decorating it. here's my workshop. it has workshop poo poo

feel like this place didn't really start to click for me until i walled off the area around the station. gives it a nice sense of space. there is a fire and a picnic bench. this would probably be a good place to hang out, if i ever bother furnishing it.

rrrrrrrrrred rrrrrrrrrrrocket

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really wish this game has building stuff that was new and not garbage. Just Bethesda acting like the war was 20 years ago not 200.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

cheesetriangles posted:

I really wish this game has building stuff that was new and not garbage. Just Bethesda acting like the war was 20 years ago not 200.

there came a point where i faced the fact that this is not the fallout game i hoped for, but a post apocalypse themed bad minecraft that exists in a nebulous post war time detached from any kind of lore or background beyond bombs fell, world broken. to paraphrase the game itself, this is not the fallout i wanted, but it is the one i found myself in

so now i jam garbage next to garbage until i am happy with the garbage shack i made, and it's not a terrible way to play the game. it is even... fun

also the vault stuff might be neat

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rebel Blob posted:

So, uh, has anyone played both Far Harbor and the New Vegas mod Autumn Leaves? There are some allegations that Bethesda plagiarized the mod in creating the questline Brain Dead/Vault 118. I haven't played Autumn Leaves, does this claim hold up?

It's purely a coincidence. Far Harbor was in beta testing when the mod came out.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Mokinokaro posted:

It's purely a coincidence. Far Harbor was in beta testing when the mod came out.

I thought Brain Dead seemed kind of rushed and unpolished. And since it's a selfcontained quest and quest area, it could very well be something added at the last moment. :shrug:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Are you trying to say the mod author isn't uniquely brilliant and Bethesda arrived at a fun and interesting idea on their own?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
There is a mod, and since I'm phone posting I can't find it, but it removes the item cap for scavengers, water purifiers, and something else. I have been using it and it works pretty well so far.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
What's the best way to get around the building limit for settlements without mods? I know there's a console command, but doesn't it cause all sorts of other issues as well?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually Autumn Leaves came out before Fallout 4. My notes from a playthrough I did last October say I used it, and it wasn't brand new then either.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Jejoma posted:

What's the best way to get around the building limit for settlements without mods? I know there's a console command, but doesn't it cause all sorts of other issues as well?

dump a bunch of weapons on the ground in your settlement, then go into construction mode and store the weapons to your workshop. the game will think you're removing pieces from the settlement and deduct from the limit

big/complex weapons seem to slice off more of the limit than small ones

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
According to the mod's page: Uploaded at 17:54, 30 Sep 2015

It's a coincidence though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bethesda has borrowed at least a few good ideas from modders of New Vegas; the one that sticks out the most to me is the weather system someone made that included radiation storms.

I noticed that the sky is in permanent radiation-storm mode above the Nucleus in Far Harbor, until you blow it up. Maybe Allen was right after all!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mod author doesn't give a poo poo, is actually kind of flattered if they even copied it at all and it wasn't a big coincidence

baronvonchateua posted:

Now, now, truth be said, I honestly thought Bethesda’s staff played Autumn Leaves, had a blast with it (I hope) took some things out of it and made their own thing for Far Harbor. And I seriously think this is perfectly okay. After all, Autumn Leaves’ inspirations are countless (Asimov’s, Cluedo, Planescape : Torment, Arcanum, older Fallouts, etc.) and being influenced is a natural part of the writing process.

just more nerds getting mad on other people's behalf lol

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

xutech posted:

Yup. It's a glitch with Chameleon clothing. It stopped when I got tired of it and took it off. Otherwise the only way to use your Pip is to stand up and wait a second for destealth.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I sometimes get that glitch when I'm not stealthing, reloading the cell by going into an interior or something (retsrats are sometimes required too) fixes it for me. Not sure what causes it when it's not related to stealth, though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm sure Bethesda has the industry standard "any mods you produce for this game are the property of Bethesda" anyway.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

mod author doesn't give a poo poo, is actually kind of flattered if they even copied it at all and it wasn't a big coincidence

just more nerds getting mad on other people's behalf lol
In fairness it's perfectly natural to assume that a modder who made a real good mod would be allergic to humility, as it's a quality that's aggressively discouraged within the community.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's pretty refreshing

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How exactly does the game determine what counts as a Minuteman settlement and what doesn't? And is there a way of being able to tell which of your settlements are which?

If I take settlements on my own, when I eventually go talk to preston garvey, my own settlements never count as minutemen settlements. I still have to take 4 of them from Preston before I get the chance to take the castle, and 8 of them before I get the chance to do the minutemen ending. On the other hand, I've had multiple people tell me that their settlements they take on their own do count as minuteman settlements. I don't know why it would work differently for them than it does for me.

Anyone have any idea how this works?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

How exactly does the game determine what counts as a Minuteman settlement and what doesn't? And is there a way of being able to tell which of your settlements are which?

If I take settlements on my own, when I eventually go talk to preston garvey, my own settlements never count as minutemen settlements. I still have to take 4 of them from Preston before I get the chance to take the castle, and 8 of them before I get the chance to do the minutemen ending. On the other hand, I've had multiple people tell me that their settlements they take on their own do count as minuteman settlements. I don't know why it would work differently for them than it does for me.

Anyone have any idea how this works?

Once you join the Minutemen and are their official leader, any settlement that's allied to you officially counts as a Minuteman settlement. But even before then, if you ignore Preston you can still run around getting settlements on your side. And then when you're the General you're in charge of all those areas too. As long as you're still allied to them and can build stuff there, it's all good.

Something I need to test: if you can get the Wall in Diamond City to turn red if you give the guy the Blood Paint from Pickman's Gallery.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he won't accept blood paint, sorry homie

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

he won't accept blood paint, sorry homie

Goddamn it! The quest name is "Painting the Town Red," I can't literally paint the town red? poo poo.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

For the first time since release I am trying my hand at having a companion and it is not easy.

First of all the lack of lone wanderer means I die a lot more than before.

I choose Curie which means I have to build these robo repair kits. I have maxed charisma but she does little damage, takes a lot of damage and gets in the way a lot.

Once she even pushed me out of cover so she could get into the fight :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

She gets a lot better once you get her synth body. Easier to give her weapons, for starters.

Are you still playing on Survival? Survival is very rough on any companions.

• Locked thread