Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will have the better offseason?
This poll is closed.
Montreal 19 14.29%
Edmonton 65 48.87%
Vancouver 49 36.84%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The magic of the Subban trade is that Habs fans almost have to want there to be "culture" or "attitude" issues, because if not it just means they're incompetent.

Too bad the undesirable culture that Subban brought to the team was winning games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, not really.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Subban is very good but that team lives and dies on its goaltending. Because it isn't very good otherwise. That isn't going to change with the moves they've made this off season.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The magic of the Subban trade is that Habs fans almost have to want there to be "culture" or "attitude" issues, because if not it just means they're incompetent.

I'm not sure if either reasons are better than the other.

They're certainly not going to be winning anymore than they did last season.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The montreal canadiens front office had a much shorter deliberation period in signing Douglas Murray than PK Subban

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The Montreal front office also hasn't considered moving Alexei Emelin now that his full NTC is up.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

If Subban wasn't getting along with other players on the team then you move those players, not Subban. Unless Carey Price hated his guts.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

TBeats posted:

Am I wrong in saying that Tampa Bay has a pretty good front office?

I am a Bucs and Rays fan so tbh I don't know what a good front office looks like lately.
Just about every source would rate them highly. A plurality would have them as the best.

Jordan7hm posted:

Subban is very good but that team lives and dies on its goaltending. Because it isn't very good otherwise. That isn't going to change with the moves they've made this off season.
I think without Subban they could be a team where Price performs like 2014/15 and they're still a bubble playoff team.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Subban isn't happy with that trade. It boggles the mind to think of what the management was thinking. Were they just dazzled by the prospect of Weber?

Or are they all 80's movie villains set on destroying happiness?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

CommaToes posted:

It boggles the mind to think of what the management was thinking.

They definitely weren't. Also Bergevin and Therrien hate fun and cool people that are also good at hockey.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
In the single most important piece of off-season news: I was just at an Islanders Q&A event at the Barclays with some season ticket holders and the new owner, John Ledecky, and he confirmed the permanent return of Sparky the Dragon at games for 2016-17

sparky and yesuv bff

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Jordan7hm posted:

Subban is very good but that team lives and dies on its goaltending.

I can't wait for Carey to ask for a trade, personally.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I can't wait for Weber's play to drop off even more (like to the point were his eye-ball play matches his lovely lovely stats).
I didn't dislike Montreal before but trading away Subban makes you into a team of villains.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I have a feeling Carey isn't gonna want to stick around any longer than whatever's left on his contract since they traded his BFF.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So, I know someone who knows someone who was an executive with the Bulldogs (I know, I know) and I was told the issue with Subban was he takes no responsibility for his actions. Like, he doesn't understand the concept.

Take with however many grains of salt you wish, but it sounded like code for racist bullshit to me.

Go Preds.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dandy Kaiser posted:

someone make me an avatar of ken holland in the hat catching holmstrom, bertuzzi, cleary, and abdelkader with the caption gotta catch 'em all and i will change my name to teemu pokémon and keep it until he's gone :toxx:

e: wait until pre-season/camp starts and add ott

e2: put fuckin mccarty and drake in there too for all i loving care

Threw it together quick before work. Let me know if you want anyone added. I was also thinking of changing "catch" to "sign". Thoughts?

e: I'll compress it once it's finalised.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Threw it together quick before work. Let me know if you want anyone added. I was also thinking of changing "catch" to "sign". Thoughts?

This is amazing

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

So, I know someone who knows someone who was an executive with the Bulldogs (I know, I know) and I was told the issue with Subban was he takes no responsibility for his actions. Like, he doesn't understand the concept.

Take with however many grains of salt you wish, but it sounded like code for racist bullshit to me.

Go Preds.

Plus that would be like when he was 17/18.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

JoelJoel posted:

I'm jealous of this future avatar. :smith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Go Preds.

So he's going to be their next head coach?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

This is incredible. I will buy this immediately when you finish. Also you should probably add Ott if you can without out it being too large and you've got a good source image so that I can have a full and proper rage

e: I think I like catch em all just fine actually

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 15, 2016

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
How about GRINDERS is NOT EFFECTIVE! Or IMMUNE to 2nd ROUND?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ken used TREAD WATER. It's super effective!

e: I see now that the circumstances of one's drafting are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of an extension that determines who you are.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 15, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dandy Kaiser posted:

This is incredible. I will buy this immediately when you finish. Changing it to sign would be good. Also you should probably add Ott if you can without out it being too large and you've got a good source image so that I can have a full and proper rage

Will do. If I can't find time tomorrow, the wife is out of town and I've got an abundance liquor so, I'll get to it on the weekend.

Will do. If I don't find time tomorrow il

i am the bird posted:

I'm jealous of this future avatar. :smith:

See above; request away.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

JoelJoel posted:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

:vince:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Infidel Castro posted:

Yesssssssssssssss

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Infidel Castro posted:

OMG

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

clean ayers act posted:

I know the Subban trade has been beaten to death but:

:lol:

So when are the oilers firing Dellow

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Infidel Castro posted:

:captainpop:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Infidel Castro posted:

winner

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

I have a feeling Carey isn't gonna want to stick around any longer than whatever's left on his contract since they traded his BFF.

People say stuff like this but hockey players, especially guys who played junior, are used to their friends being traded away, and I really doubt Price will make a decision based on what happened with Subban years before his own contract is up. If they're that close they can still hang during the summers.

With or without Subban Montreal will have the same issues Montreal has always had: the media is brutal, the city is mostly french, and the taxes are high.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I guess I should also add that Therrien's a fuckin tool.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Infidel Castro posted:

There is the perfect avatar text now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Infidel Castro posted:

Gotta sign 'em all
Gotta sign 'em AAAlllllll

4th Line Grinders

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Infidel Castro posted:

I wish I posted this

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

slearch posted:

So when are the oilers firing Dellow

not so long as Daryl Katz is in charge, because the only reason they hired Dellow was to stop him from speaking negatively about the Oilers in radio appearances and shut down his blog. If I remember correctly he still lives in Toronto, doesn't even work at the Oilers office or spend much time in Edmonton.

We all saw that the hiring was billed as "Oilers hire their biggest critic" and it's obvious now that they weren't really interested in his analysis or in finding a different perspective on their operations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

yellowcar posted:

He's off contract in two season, so I imagine there will be some opening negotiations during this year.
If I was Carey Price, their offer better be "we'll give you a dump truck full of money 6 times a year, every year until you're 50" or I'm leaving. The prospect of winning a cup has gone from "maybe in a couple years if the Gallys keep improving" to "maybe if there are simultaneous terrorist attacks everywhere but Montreal".

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Schlesische posted:

He's off contract in two season, so I imagine there will be some opening negotiations during this year.
If I was Carey Price, their offer better be "we'll give you a dump truck full of money 6 times a year, every year until you're 50" or I'm leaving. The prospect of winning a cup has gone from "maybe in a couple years if the Gallys keep improving" to "maybe if there are simultaneous terrorist attacks everywhere but Montreal".

"that sniper at the all-star game was a blessing in disguise"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

"that sniper at the all-star game was a blessing in disguise"

I don't think his mask is bulletproof.
I don't know what damage bullets do to anthropomorphic cheat codes.
I don't like this.

• Locked thread