Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Supremezero posted:

You don't use it, you carry it in your off-hand for it's boost.

ahh, it's not useless after all, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

ahh, it's not useless after all, thanks
It's one of several items useful for what the Souls community calls "hypermode". The idea is that you intentionally get yourself to some threshold of low health relative to your maximum, then equip gear that gives you a damage boost for being in such a state. The Morion Blade in particular had returned from Demon's Souls, but each Souls game has either had the Red Tearstone Ring or some equivalent. Power Within or similar is also recommended to further increase your damage multiplier. I'm not a fan of stacking multipliers given that they can lead to brittle design (like how sorcery gets crazy once you stack six buffs), but the game's unlikely to change things at this point. :shrug:

Hell, if you stack enough buffs in DS3 you can one-shot some bosses. This person's stacking:
  • Dragon Torso Stone (for +10% damage).
  • Sunlight Straight Sword's skill (for +10% damage).
  • Deep Protection (for +5% damage).
  • Red Tearstone Ring (for +20% damage in hypermode).
  • Morion Blade (for +20% damage in hypermode).
  • Yhorm's Great Machete's skill (for +10% damage).
  • Possibly the Hornet's Ring (for +30% backstab/riposte damage)
All of those comes out to about 201% normal riposte damage, or 262% if the Hornet's Ring was also used.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Chuch posted:

Yeah, at least in DS2 you could see your extra shards and bone dust to Gavlan, and in DS1 you could pop extra Fire Keeper souls for humanity. Kind of strange they didn't give you the option to sell your extra shards in DS3, even for a pittance.

You can sell them though

Ng+ shards and dusts are there for people who missed any on their first run.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just beat the Pontiff and was making my way to Anor Lando when everything went insane. I got invaded so I countered by summoning some help and in general I felt like I was in control. We were beating him up and driving him back until we reached the courtyard when all hell broke loose. In between the giants and the mage assholes a total of five or so invaders were active split between red phantoms and area defenders. With some effort one ore invaders and one area defender were killed but that cost my summon to achieve so I spent the last minute or so of that gang bang desperately trying to summon help whilst the surviving invaders killed me before I could summon any more back up.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
So about the red hilt halberd, should I bother infusing it

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Guys, I am so hosed against Pontiff that I'm actually considering walking away from the game. It's been two weeks, I've used all of my embers with TWO helpers (either two NPC's, two humans, or one and one) and I just get stomped. It's to the point where I'm considering just walking away from the game and deciding it ends there. I'm super bummed about this but I've never encountered such a brutal roadblock in a souls game.

Is anyone willing/able to match up with me to help me out? I don't even know how you do this in DS3.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What console?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Guys, I am so hosed against Pontiff that I'm actually considering walking away from the game. It's been two weeks, I've used all of my embers with TWO helpers (either two NPC's, two humans, or one and one) and I just get stomped. It's to the point where I'm considering just walking away from the game and deciding it ends there. I'm super bummed about this but I've never encountered such a brutal roadblock in a souls game.

Is anyone willing/able to match up with me to help me out? I don't even know how you do this in DS3.
What build are you using? I for example discovered that bosses which gave me hell for weeks were absolutely no problem after just upping my Vigor by five points, to allow myself more room for error. Maybe you are trying to use a club with too little Stamina for two swings AND a roll. Little things like that can make a big difference.

Also, what is giving you trouble exactly? First phase or the second? Because especially for the latter, there are some pretty good tricks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Just parry him

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Or get a good fire shield and stay close and circle around then hit him in the butt.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pc?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Akuma posted:

Or get a good fire shield and stay close and circle around then hit him in the butt.

Yeah. The easy strategy is to just turtle like mad while circle strafing with the Dragon Crest Shield and only attacking after he's finished a major combo. Remember to stop blocking inbetween his swings if you can to regen Stamina more quickly. When he starts to charge up for his multi-hit combo, either run away to try and outrange it or spam dodge roll. When you get him to 50%, run away and apply a Resin and eat a Green Blossom, then go back in for more quick hits. Don't completely drain your Stamina, as you want enough to be able to kill (or nearly kill, at least) his clone; just start wailing on him once you see him raise his sword in front of his face. When his clone is out, play evasive and keep your distance until he does one of his diving attacks, get some hits in, and then continue to play evasive/turtle.

If you're absolutely and completely stuck, a bleed build using the Barbed Sword and Carthus Rouge will completely ruin him.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'm on PS4 with a basic knight build but with higher dex. Level 55, then 17 vigor, 10 attunement, 26 END, 15 VIT, 22 strength, 28 dex, negligible for the rest. Using a raw dark sword +5 and crest shield +2. I feel like it's a totally basic bitch build!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
with your str and dex as high as they are, using a raw sword is probably a waste

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tiler Kiwi posted:

with your str and dex as high as they are, using a raw sword is probably a waste

Even at base requirements a raw Dark Sword is a waste.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I couple levels higher and I would be able and willing to coop with you.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Even at base requirements a raw Dark Sword is a waste.

Why, though? The attack goes way way up with raw vs. refined or anything else.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Definitely infuse that sword with Refined or Sharp instead. I also think that your life/stamina ratio is way too much on the stamina side, especially as you're using a straight sword - you don't need much stamina anyway for swinging it, why do you have such a high base? I think removing points from that to put into health instead would go a long way, then you make your weapon better to make the fight go by faster, should be a far smoother ride then. Of course, if your playstyle so far was "hit R1 until they're dead and hope your stamina outlasts their life", then you might have to adjust...a little.
Pontiff is a motherfucker with a huge amount of combos with different lengths, you might have just been too aggressive so far, seeing as how much your build is geared towards swing-swing-swing. Take a slow approach instead, use a better shield for blocking, figure out your openings. Once he does the splitting move, you have basically won; run in and start laying into both him and the clone whenever he makes a new one.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

That makes sense. I've played the game like Bloodborne so far hence the big stamina build. Also I'm an idiot, when I made my sword raw I actually lost a lot of power. Durp.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I found Pontiff way easier just by getting up in his face. Same thing with Champion Gundyr, he's way more dangerous (and aggressive, maybe?) if he's using a distance-closing move.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

I'm on PS4 with a basic knight build but with higher dex. Level 55, then 17 vigor, 10 attunement, 26 END, 15 VIT, 22 strength, 28 dex, negligible for the rest. Using a raw dark sword +5 and crest shield +2. I feel like it's a totally basic bitch build!

If you're able to wait until 3am CDT (and if the password system will let you co-op with my level 198 character; I'm not sure that it would), I could kill him with a couple of fireballs for you.

Also, you really need to respec into more vigor for where you are in the game. Badly.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

...! posted:

If you're able to wait until 3am CDT (and if the password system will let you co-op with my level 198 character; I'm not sure that it would), I could kill him with a couple of fireballs for you.

Also, you really need to respec into more vigor for where you are in the game. Badly.

What vigor do you suggest?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
1000 hp worth of vigor, 27 maybe?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Yeah, 27 is good.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've reached Anor Londo and met the NPC in the kitchen. Am I safe to go to Irithyll Dungeon now without breaking that questline?

Is that a main or optional area? It feels like I'm on the main path as I am.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is that a main or optional area? It feels like I'm on the main path as I am.

It's a branching point - you have to do both.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

You should have enough large shards by now to get your sword up to +6 (and 2 chunks for +7), unless you had another weapon you were upgrading.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

It's a branching point - you have to do both.

No worries then. I was going to explore every area I could anyway, so bring on the horror murder dungeon :getin:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've run into a brick wall on my current build and its name is Champion Gundyr.

Also, after the patch is the Anri Straight Sword still viable for PvE?

weekly font fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 15, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

weekly font posted:

Also, after the patch is the Anri Straight Sword still viable for PvE?

If you're doing a luck build, yes.

The Champ is weak to lightning, so if you have a Dragonslayer's Axe you can get to +7 and slather with gold pine resin he should go down fairly quickly. Not locking on seems to help with not getting caught in his combos/air juggles.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I ended up beating the champ by grabbing a buckler and parrying the poo poo out of him. He's actually kinda easy.

Prince Lothric on the other hand I can beat his first form without getting hit but get absolutely slaughtered by the bullshit wonder twins team up.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

While purplebro invading tonight, I killed one host who was clearly AFK and two unsuspecting fight club hosts. Still no hate mail ever. :(

Octo1
May 7, 2009

...! posted:

While purplebro invading tonight, I killed one host who was clearly AFK and two unsuspecting fight club hosts. Still no hate mail ever. :(

If you want hatemail then you need to make invasions as long and as annoying as possible. Quick kills and clapping won't get you much in my experience.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Octo1 posted:

If you want hatemail then you need to make invasions as long and as annoying as possible. Quick kills and clapping won't get you much in my experience.

Can confirm I invaded in the swamp and had to take a poo poo so I used a branch and went AFK. I came back to hatemail and an invite to some steam group.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Octo1 posted:

If you want hatemail then you need to make invasions as long and as annoying as possible.

Kind of a shitbox thing to do since the host can't leave the area.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Kind of a shitbox thing to do since the host can't leave the area.

gently caress em

e: they leave through the boss door or they leave off a cliff

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Octo1 posted:

Most hate mail I got in DS1 actually came from this. I'd chill out in the dark root garden as a shrub with chameleon and, if you picked the right spot, the glow from the environment would further mask your character. It was pretty great and was a nice alternative to cmw+wild pokes. On top of just annoying some players enough to shout at me online, I actually managed to make a few people panic and fall of cliffs with chameleon in a few locations in the game.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

weekly font posted:

I've run into a brick wall on my current build and its name is Champion Gundyr.

When I was doing my SL1 playthrough, I had similar problems, because I had an extremely dodge-heavy playstyle. But his attacks have very predictable parry timing, with obvious audio cues to help you time it. Bust out that Small Leather Shield, google up a How To Parry Champion Gundyr video, and you'll probably wreck his melodramatic rear end in three tries or less.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

You should have enough large shards by now to get your sword up to +6 (and 2 chunks for +7), unless you had another weapon you were upgrading.

I got it to +5 last night, hallelujah. I think I have 1 chunk at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i have 2 questions

1: how do you trade with a specific person?
2: would anyone be willing to borrow me the wolf ring for a sec and be that specific person for me? I'm online now and available for the next 8 hours. In europe, psn Davincier