Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Internet Kraken posted:

Like, a Symmetra with no turrets up isn't gonna accomplish a drat thing in KOTH.

A Symmetra with turrets up probably isn't gonna accomplish much better.

Granted, I think Symmetra and Torb are the two worst heroes you can take for KOTH in general, so I may be more than a bit biased, here. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Regalingualius posted:

A Symmetra with turrets up probably isn't gonna accomplish much better.

Granted, I think Symmetra and Torb are the two worst heroes you can take for KOTH in general, so I may be more than a bit biased, here. :v:

My personal opinion is that with good team coordination Symmetra can help you lock down Lijang Tower effectively, but I wouldn't bring her to Ilios or Nepal.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Just had a Volskaya defense where we totally stonewalled the enemy team for 4:32 so hard they didn't even make it past the bus in the gateway, and then in the last 28 seconds our entire team poo poo the loving bed and we lost the game in the next minute and change. What the gently caress guys.

That capped off a six game losing streak highlighted by a battle.net initiated disconnect to update my install (What the gently caress could possibly be that important that the game kept going but you disconnect me in the last 20 seconds), so I think I'm done tonight.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fair enough on Lijang, though I swear that's also the one where her Teleporter would be weakest, if only because it feels like the one with the shortest time from spawn to the point.

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!

RBX posted:

Junkrat has great area denial and I'm never unhappy to see one on the team.

Me really depends in the player but I find when I play mercy and dmg boost her alot she gets poo poo done.

Unless the opposite team has two Zarya!

Kai Tave posted:

My personal opinion is that with good team coordination Symmetra can help you lock down Lijang Tower effectively, but I wouldn't bring her to Ilios or Nepal.

Biggest problem is when Symmetra places her teleporter on any of part of that map it's going down in seconds. They are too loud and hard to hide.

Edit: Also turrets have 1hp.

Timboslice fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 15, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There are threads on the official forums discussing what gender/sexuality/nationality the next heroes should be as if Blizzard has to follow some bizarre politically correct bingo card and cross one of everything off and god forbid they add another white male.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm sure that's exactly what they're doing and they aren't just excited to have a diverse cast in a game for once

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
the only reason you'd have a diverse cast is to appease the elder tumblr beast, lest they devour the world with their rainbow-colored head tendrils

no but it's actually kinda cool to point at a character and say "hey, this guy is like me"

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!

Verranicus posted:

There are threads on the official forums discussing what gender/sexuality/nationality the next heroes should be as if Blizzard has to follow some bizarre politically correct bingo card and cross one of everything off and god forbid they add another white male.

If threads on the official forums are to go by I got the scoop on what characters have the smelliest armpits, which half of the cast is gay, which characters have a foot fetish and which character on the cast actually shot JFK.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Seriously even seemingly little things like "having a playable visibly older women" that you never see are happening in overwatch and I completely understand people excited about seeing more representation especially representation that reflects themselves

e: like, think of five other games where you can play an older woman. I can think of maybe two and one of them I don't think is even out yet

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

flatluigi posted:

Seriously even seemingly little things like "having a playable visibly older women" that you never see are happening in overwatch and I completely understand people excited about seeing more representation especially representation that reflects themselves

e: like, think of five other games where you can play an older woman. I can think of maybe two and one of them I don't think is even out yet

Soul Caliber, Soul Caliber II, Soul Caliber III, Soul Caliber IV, Soul Caliber V

:colbert:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Strobe posted:

Soul Caliber, Soul Caliber II, Soul Caliber III, Soul Caliber IV, Soul Caliber V

None of those games exist.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strobe posted:

you have a really odd standard for "visibly older" dude unless you think a woman's age is measured by how little of her breasts are covered

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

flatluigi posted:

you have a really odd standard for "visibly older" dude unless you think a woman's age is measured by how little of her breasts are covered

Yes, that's clearly the criteria I was going by, instead of the equally superficial hair color in the obviously sarcastic :colbert: post

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I actually went and looked at the roster to see if I missed some old lady and still whiffed on what you meant by your joke so w/e

for the record, the games I was thinking of were Invisible Inc and Gigantic

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I was talking about Ivy (who is like 28 in the first game anyway).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It's less people being glad they're represented and more them acting like Blizz has to add the absolute most multicultural characters possible or they're oppressive. If you don't believe this, go to the forums yourself.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I have learned two things today: apparently in-canon Ivy has stopped aging at 32 and her character design got even worse after the last soul calibur I played (#2)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i'm still upset you whiffed on CalibUr tho it's about a sword get it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Verranicus posted:

It's less people being glad they're represented and more them acting like Blizz has to add the absolute most multicultural characters possible or they're oppressive. If you don't believe this, go to the forums yourself.

Also this discussion tends to go "hey they could add an X character, right?" "OH MY loving GOD YOU FUCKIN ROBOCOPS" so nah, I'll pass

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They just added an old arab lady to the game and nothing exploded and people seem really excited about her, so maybe there's something to such radical bleeding heart concepts as "have some diversity in an ensemble cast" and "sex appeal isn't the only way to make a female character that people will like".

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Ana is the perfect grandma because she heals you with broth, helps you take naps, and uses nanomachines to increase your speed and attack damage.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

redweird posted:

Ana is the perfect grandma because she heals you with broth, helps you take naps, and uses nanomachines to increase your speed and attack damage.

Also Ana is Nana without the N. Coincidence? I think not.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Verranicus posted:

I'd actually rather not read the battlenet forums more than I absolutely have to so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are some folks out there who can and will get weird and worked up about all sorts of things and this is absolutely nothing new, but on the whole it's a cool thing that Overwatch has a more varied cast than most video games and I also hope they continue that trend.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've already seen her ult referred to as "nana boost" multiple times and I love it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

They just added an old arab lady to the game and nothing exploded and people seem really excited about her, so maybe there's something to such radical bleeding heart concepts as "have some diversity in an ensemble cast" and "sex appeal isn't the only way to make a female character that people will like".
whoa there, let's not go crazy

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Some clearly legit screenshots I made in a solo game of Route 66:

Might wanna try to avoid Route 66 until Blizzard fixes this. At least if somebody pops up outta nowhere yor starts shooting through the rocks you'll know why.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dias posted:

no but it's actually kinda cool to point at a character and say "hey, this guy is like me"

Deaf character when?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brannock posted:

Deaf character when?

We've already got two! I mean, think about it, have you ever seen a Hanzo or Widowmaker turn around in response to the sound of footsteps? I thought not.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Brannock posted:

Deaf character when?

Sorry you're a goon, Roadhog already represents your demographic.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

Deaf character when?

I mean, Lúcio has got to AT LEAST have tinnitus by now.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I really need a character in a cyberwheelchair to complete my x-men comparisons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I really need a character in a cyberwheelchair to complete my x-men comparisons.

Genji is basically a limbic system in a prosthetic everything

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Need a demisexual wolfkin person of color character or Blizz are still fascists.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

flatluigi posted:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Dias posted:

the only reason you'd have a diverse cast is to appease the elder tumblr beast, lest they devour the world with their rainbow-colored head tendrils

*motions towards the two ancient egyptians*

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I might actually be extremely mildly upset if Overwatch adds a blind hero before a deaf hero. No blind people play video games. There's many many more fully deaf people than fully blind people. Blind people have been advantaged in media exposure for a long time because people can actually communicate with them without having to adjust their personal paradigms. It's some lazy poo poo.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

1) Egyptians are largely not Arab
2) Shes ancient Egyptian and not Egyptian

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Verranicus posted:

Need a demisexual wolfkin person of color character or Blizz are still fascists.

For someone who spends large amounts of their time dredging through blizzard forums to crosspost here, you certainly aren't above their level at all are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

strong bird posted:

1) Egyptians are largely not Arab
2) Shes ancient Egyptian and not Egyptian

she's not THAT old