Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Wafflecopper posted:

I've seen a couple of posts along the lines of "that's a bit pricey and it's a shame there's no jabberslythe", is that what passes for entertaining nerd rage these days or did I miss something?

Oh yeah, not here. I'm talking elsewhere. The TW subreddit has a statistical analysis of the DLC as its top post right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

madmac posted:

Try venturing into other forums, where the DLC apparently costs $20 and your immortal soul.

This is deffo the case on Facebook and Instagram

:argh: 18 DOLLARS! gently caress YOU CA! :argh:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
They'll take my 18 dollars from my cold dead hands.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Beans posted:

what was the actual name for that insane medieval 2 mod? total retardation?

Not was... is. Planet War was updated as recently as April of this year with new stuff.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

Kainser posted:

They'll take my 18 dollars from my cold dead hands.

so you are running a zombie campaign i take it?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

I've seen a couple of posts along the lines of "that's a bit pricey and it's a shame there's no jabberslythe", is that what passes for entertaining nerd rage these days or did I miss something?

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4sw91x/complete_statistical_breakdown_of_the_new/

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

"According to my totally objective analysis the Three types of Sorcerers and Empire Wizards all count as unique heroes, but the three types of Bray Shaman are one hero because gently caress you CA."

"I've also taken out all of the weapon swap units because they only count as unique units for every race on the chart except Beastmen."

madmac fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 15, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Steam page posted:

Primal Fury

Many Gor units (Ungors, Gors, Bestigors and Centigors) have the Primal Fury ability, which brings a constant active buff to their Speed, Charge Bonus and Melee Attack characteristics.

Wait, isn't a "constant active buff" exactly the same thing as a passive buff?

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
I've dropped like a hundy on CS GO skins and I suck at that game. I will definitely be getting this DLC considering how much I've been playing TW:W. It does seem fairly pricey at face value considering a mini campaign is meh and beastmen are a pretty basic addition though.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The harpies being missing is more disappointing then the Jabberslythe and Ghorgan. Mid-tier fragile flying unit would have opened more tactical possibilities then more flavors of ultimate monsters that don't turn up early enough to be truly impactful on the campaign, epecially since one is just Giant-Turned-Up-To-11

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, isn't a "constant active buff" exactly the same thing as a passive buff?

A passive buff that only modifies your stats would be pointless as it would really just be the stats. It's probably just awkward wording for something that is usually turned on but occasionally turned off by X, like an inverse crumbling.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wait a second I just made the kind of stupid statement I usually yell at others for. I apologize. I don't know what it means then.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Maybe it can be toggled on and off because it's not strictly a buff at all, and there's some unmentioned penalty that goes with it?

e: Or maybe it just has a duration and it's constant until it's not

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

Maybe it can be toggled on and off because it's not strictly a buff at all, and there's some unmentioned penalty that goes with it?

If I was the Star Trek computer I would say "Unknown. Insufficient information".

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well yeah I wasn't actually asking you, I was speculating in the form of a rhetorical question

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Wafflecopper posted:

e: Or maybe it just has a duration and it's constant until it's not

The reason it says constant active buff is it can be lost, like how Frenzy can currently be lost when the unit loses too much leadership and starts to rout. I think that's the reason at least

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Betting doombulls will be a Lord class.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Truecon420 posted:

The reason it says constant active buff is it can be lost, like how Frenzy can currently be lost when the unit loses too much leadership and starts to rout. I think that's the reason at least

No but see that why what I said was stupid and now you've done it too! Why didn't you heed my warning? Because that is not what "active" and "passive" actually mean. An active ability/buff is one that you as the player can activate or toggle, a passive ability/buff is just there (whether or not it's actually on). Frenzy is not an active, it's passive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Frenzy seems kinda lacklustre to me. A small buff and no other effects.
(Tabletop had it double attack speed at the cost of being forced to charge any enemy that came in range. Not that I'm holding up GW as paragons of good game design.)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Frenzy seems kinda lacklustre to me. A small buff and no other effects.
(Tabletop had it double attack speed at the cost of being forced to charge any enemy that came in range. Not that I'm holding up GW as paragons of good game design.)

It used to be stronger, they actually nerfed it a bit last patch because savage orcs were nuts.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

madmac posted:

"According to my totally objective analysis the Three types of Sorcerers and Empire Wizards all count as unique heroes, but the three types of Bray Shaman are one hero because gently caress you CA."

And for some reason he lists them as having no beasts because uh you see it's not new content being added so it doesn't count or add roster diversity. Chaos still gets their giants and trolls counted of course. And armoured trolls too I think, not sure where the sixth unit of monsters comes from otherwise.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is it mechanically possible even to have the Black Orcs "Armed to da Teef" thing where they can toggle weapons via command? Or is totally changing a unit's weapon midgame at button press not doable?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Is it mechanically possible even to have the Black Orcs "Armed to da Teef" thing where they can toggle weapons via command? Or is totally changing a unit's weapon midgame at button press not doable?

I haven't seen it done. You can have units swap between ranged/melee weapons obviously, and the older TW games had, like, pikemen able to pull out swords or knights switching to melee weapons after charging but that was done automatically and hasn't really been a thing since Med 2 that I've noticed.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dandywalken posted:

They'd have to mod the game engine heavily. The engine they've been using can't handle multiple sets of weapons.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What's funny is that beastmen do have unique war beasts, but I guess razorgors don't count?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I give CA my $17 now will they finally loving patch the reinforcement bug?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Patch 2 is definitely going to launch with the DLC, so maybe. Not that your giving of $17 will cause it to be patched, but it certainly wouldn't cause them to remove it from their patch list either so

My big hope is chaos' start positions patched based on legendary lord choice, to match what they're doing with beastmen.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know what would really be a good change for Chaos would be not having every single one of their quest battles take place against other Chaos forces out on the rear end end of the map.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chomp8645 posted:

You know what would really be a good change for Chaos would be not having every single one of their quest battles take place against other Chaos forces out on the rear end end of the map.

Kholek fights Greenskins and Undead, though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok yeah that there is that one, too bad he only has one gosh darn fight.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I pre-ordered this game, and I'm pre-ordering it's DLC

I am the gamer anti-christ

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dre2Dee2 posted:

No because you're at least doing it for a good game

Back a couple kickstarters for some pixel-graphic platformers and pre-order a season pass from EA then we'll talk.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Decus posted:

If it works like R2/Attila you definitely won't be able to do that, from what I remember. Think there's something in the executable restricting the use of DLC assets/entries if you don't own the DLC. Maybe you could extract/rename some of it and get it to work as if it's all truly your own modded content? But why the hell would you put in more than $17 worth of man-hours to not buy a $17 thing that also included a campaign.

For warhammer specifically they make it a bit clearer from a modding standpoint by making separate tables. Stuff in the separate tables? You can add that to other factions or mod however you like and everybody with the DLC will be able to use it whereas everybody without the DLC won't even be able to access it. Stuff added to the core tables? It should be fair game for anybody and will include some of the units/new things...I think. I mean, I own the chaos DLC so I haven't been able to test it but I would imagine that people without the chaos DLC can use anything outside of the chaos DLC specific tables in playable factions or else I'd have seen somebody bitching about the faction unlockers for skaeling/varg/etc. not working if you don't own the DLC.

I don't think the "all the beastmen units and structures will exist in the files" will be true though. I imagine if you don't own beastmen you'll get the varg/skaeling/savage orc watered down version of them on the map with limits on both--whatever they put into the main core--whereas if you own the DLC you'll get full beastmen AI factions as well with whatever they put into the DLC specific files. Things like the legendary items for their faction leaders will 100% fall under "not in the main core", for instance.

You could always remake the units from DLC like the Sisters of Battle pack or whatever, just c/p the table entries with unique IDs and you'd have the same units. It takes like 5 minutes to make a unit from an existing template and 15 minutes to make a building on an existing superchain if you've done it before. This is where the PFM loving kills the Assembly Kit too, you can do all of this extremely quickly as you can copy lines across multiple instances of the PFM. Data.pack in one, your mod in the other.

I didn't say anything about Lords, Items or Heroes, just the units themselves. So yeah would you wouldn't have the fluff, but you could pull all the Beastmen units over pretty quickly if you really wanted to save that $17 if all you're after is the new units.

Also that Bretonnia by Prater mod makes it seem like you could also pull the other stuff straight over as well, considering he fleshed out lords and tech trees for an unplayable faction.

This is the first time they broke DLCs out into new tables as far as I remember though, so I guess we'll find out when they release it, since I also own all the unit DLC thus far. Curious if the game gives you the DLC tables automatically, as without them Kholek and the Lord of Change couldn't ever spawn on the map. They used to just extend main_units and land_units with the entries regardless of if you bought those DLCs. My upkeep mod in Attila covered a bunch of units I never bought the DLC for.

Assuming we can get to them, I could probably have all the Beastmen units attached to the chaos warrior recruitment buildings in 25-30 minutes, and could probably add a unique building chain within another hour (I haven't done it regularly enough to be sure I could do it without some trial and error).

EDIT: Taking a closer look, I think you're overestimating what's actually in the DLC tables as well. Things like the unique items for the Chaos LLs are all in the core tables, not the additional ones. Weirdly its only a handful of mount options and some of the ancillaries.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 15, 2016

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

:hfive: let us smear our feces all over the churches of Sigmar and Ulric

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SickZip posted:

The harpies being missing is more disappointing then the Jabberslythe and Ghorgan. Mid-tier fragile flying unit would have opened more tactical possibilities then more flavors of ultimate monsters that don't turn up early enough to be truly impactful on the campaign, epecially since one is just Giant-Turned-Up-To-11

Don't worry, there'll be a "Vargheists with Tits" mod within days of launch.

Seriously though, I bet the reason Harpies aren't out just yet is that CA didn't want to tackle the issue of "should harpies be topless" this soon into development.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Not having harpies will definitely hurt the most. As it seems like they'd be similar to fell bats, which are very useful.

On the bright side, there's always the bretonnian peasantry to masturbate to

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I think I've walked to a grand total of one quest battle since discovering that teleport was a thing. Once you take army upkeep into account it's usually much cheaper to teleport rather than have your LL and his stack out of position for several turns instead of conquering poo poo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm currently at Parity in my current game. Namely, Kholek is the only lord left who keeps getting stomped by a collection of swordsmen, archers and Empire Knights who then go back to Volksgrad. Gelt is watching Zoishenk. Karl is running about And gut stabbing the Skaeling around former Nordland lands.

I can confederate at any time with Middenland and Hochland, but I'm letting them be so I don't have to pay for the manpower.

Bringing in 8 grand a turn even with one stack consisting of.

3 Steam Tanks
4 Demigryph Knights
5 Greatswords
5 Handgunners
1 Helblaster Volley Gun (wondering if this is useful at all)
1 Bright Wizard
Lord (Emperors Eye, Level 16)

And 7 stacks total.

I think eventually I'm going to have to push the Border Princes back though, they have Averland and a lot of Wissenland. I'll probably send the stacks currently helping settle Sylvania down to stomp them into the dirt, then make peace with them using fat stacks. Or. Just push into the Badlands and wipe em out. Almost all the major players are at 300 positive rating.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Not having harpies will definitely hurt the most. As it seems like they'd be similar to fell bats, which are very useful.

On the bright side, there's always the bretonnian peasantry to masturbate to

"Masturbate lads! Our Liege Lord demands it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So are we getting new units in the other factions too? It's mentioned in their old DLC blog plans that it would happen.

Because if so, all I have to say is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCr-RAVozAM

• Locked thread