Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Verranicus lives in some weird mirror dimension where the Blizzard forum isn't literally Reddit Meets Stormfront any time diversity issues come up.

Sienna is like 26. Being a wizard just ages the gently caress out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Macaluso posted:

Saw some piece of poo poo idiots in this thread say that Junkrat isn't good. Junkrat is objectively actually the best character in the entire game and I'm sorry if you're too much of a fool to know that. I hope you get the mental help you need soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwqTAFQlJOg

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I think it great that Ana is not just a older woman which is a rare find in games, but a character that is more of less a "good guy" that specks Arabic. which is rare is most media in the US.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i hate junkrat because all the tryhard good players that came out of tf2 play his stupid rear end around here and CAN YOU STOP PSYCHIC TUBING ME YOU DICK

No, but seriously, everyone good on LatAm servers seems to be playing Pharah and Junkrat because they're TF2 expatriates.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I have to legitimately ask: is there anyone (aside from supports) who is better at King of the Hill than Junkrat? He's pretty much my first pick if there aren't any gaping holes in our comp, and he's rarely steered me wrong.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dias posted:

i hate junkrat because all the tryhard good players that came out of tf2 play his stupid rear end around here and CAN YOU STOP PSYCHIC TUBING ME YOU DICK

No, but seriously, everyone good on LatAm servers seems to be playing Pharah and Junkrat because they're TF2 expatriates.

the stupid overwatch website tells me I'm in some weird place for Pharah accuracy just because I played Soldier for a while

and just like TF2, I didn't get any kills at all :unsmigghh:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Regalingualius posted:

I have to legitimately ask: is there anyone (aside from supports) who is better at King of the Hill than Junkrat? He's pretty much my first pick if there aren't any gaping holes in our comp, and he's rarely steered me wrong.

Reaper is real good at KOTH.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
The answer is always "Zarya"

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Everyone is good at koth as long as they are point stander onners and not point stander offers

boz
Oct 16, 2005

strong bird posted:

Everyone is good at koth as long as they are point stander onners and not point stander offers

How am I supposed to snipe while standing on the point

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

junkrat is only ok at koth and only on some sections of some maps. he's slow and koth maps are too open for him to do decent area denial, plus flankers eat him alive

the best koth heroes are tracer and lucio and it is not close

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Brannock posted:

I might actually be extremely mildly upset if Overwatch adds a blind hero before a deaf hero. No blind people play video games. There's many many more fully deaf people than fully blind people. Blind people have been advantaged in media exposure for a long time because people can actually communicate with them without having to adjust their personal paradigms. It's some lazy poo poo.

they've gone out of their way to disable auto generated captions on overwatch youtube videos, you're never getting your wish

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I've never really played as her on KOTH, but I'll make an effort to the next time I've got the opportunity.

Really, though, I just love that rush from setting a bear trap somewhere in a blind panic in the middle of the point, then seeing "TRIGGERED" flash on my screen a second later. poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if I caught someone twice in the same life, or something like that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

flatluigi posted:

Seriously even seemingly little things like "having a playable visibly older women" that you never see are happening in overwatch and I completely understand people excited about seeing more representation especially representation that reflects themselves

e: like, think of five other games where you can play an older woman. I can think of maybe two and one of them I don't think is even out yet

I can think of a lot of RPGs, but very little else. Kreia is still the original cool grandma in my mind

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Minrad posted:

they've gone out of their way to disable auto generated captions on overwatch youtube videos, you're never getting your wish

This is actually insulting

There's the whole "Oh we never thought to do this" path and then there's the "We actually went and specifically disabled the automatic captioning for our videos, get hosed deafies" path

Real out of character for Blizzard, even aside from the general lack of captioning accessibility in their games

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Minrad posted:

I can think of a lot of RPGs, but very little else. Kreia is still the original cool grandma in my mind

Kreia's pretty much the only elderly woman central protagonist I can really think of off-hand, now that you mention her.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Marlowe from Uncharted, not to mention the old lady from MGS4.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ehhh, Big Mama barely had much to do with the main story of MGS4 before she died in the same chapter she was introduced in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Regalingualius posted:

Ehhh, Big Mama barely had much to do with the main story of MGS4 before she died in the same chapter she was introduced in.

You could also say that she had a lot to do with the main story because of her involvement in everything happening between 1964 and whatever year MGS4 is set in like some strange blend of carrie fisher and forrest gump.

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

We've already got two! I mean, think about it, have you ever seen a Hanzo or Widowmaker turn around in response to the sound of footsteps? I thought not.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As someone who's moderately hearing impaired it amazes me how badly this hurts gameplay. There's entire elements to things I never even noticed and other people were taking advantage of that I can't. Like I can hear ult callouts fine at least so that helps, but footsteps may as well not be there, and apparently a page or two back someone mentioned that Symmetra's teleporter has some really obvious sound effect or something? This is a sincere question, I legit don't know. :psyduck:

Since Blizzard's clearly balancing around cues like this (like the loud footsteps of Reaper or McCree are how you're supposed to avoid getting ambushed as easily?) it'd be really nice to have some sort of UI or subtitle cue option. But I guess that isn't ever happening.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Asimo posted:

As someone who's moderately hearing impaired it amazes me how badly this hurts gameplay. There's entire elements to things I never even noticed and other people were taking advantage of that I can't. Like I can hear ult callouts fine at least so that helps, but footsteps may as well not be there, and apparently a page or two back someone mentioned that Symmetra's teleporter has some really obvious sound effect or something? This is a sincere question, I legit don't know. :psyduck:

Since Blizzard's clearly balancing around cues like this (like the loud footsteps of Reaper or McCree are how you're supposed to avoid getting ambushed as easily?) it'd be really nice to have some sort of UI or subtitle cue option. But I guess that isn't ever happening.

Footsteps sound like the most caricatured horror movie "the villain stomping around outside the close you're hiding in" effect ever, maybe you were playing against a team of Zenyattas?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Asimo posted:

There's hero callouts if there's a teleporter around, but I have no idea what triggers it. If you can't hear well an easier thing to check for is that after using a teleporter, people basically trail glitter for a couple seconds.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I always just assumed that a hero that has los with a teleporter will automatically call it out to your team for you

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

I always just assumed that a hero that has los with a teleporter will automatically call it out to your team for you

They will, but this is irrespective of whether you the player happened to see it, and also it doesn't do anything like mark it for anyone. I also have a hard time hearing the teleporter sound but that's usually because of all the explosions and gunfire.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Footsteps sound like the most caricatured horror movie "the villain stomping around outside the close you're hiding in" effect ever, maybe you were playing against a team of Zenyattas?

Asimo posted:

As someone who's moderately hearing impaired (...)
:geno:

Draxion posted:

There's hero callouts if there's a teleporter around, but I have no idea what triggers it. If you can't hear well an easier thing to check for is that after using a teleporter, people basically trail glitter for a couple seconds.
Oh, there's just the hero callout and not like some big (theoretically) blatant constant hum or whatever? Okay yeah, I hadn't missed that at least, I can hear the voice cues fine.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Asimo posted:

Oh, there's just the hero callout and not like some big (theoretically) blatant constant hum or whatever? Okay yeah, I hadn't missed that at least, I can hear the voice cues fine.

There might be a whooshy noise if you're near the teleporter when they use it, but I pay a lot of attention to the sounds going on and I can't remember a really obvious noise just from it sitting there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Asimo posted:

There's both actually, though I'd hesitate to call the teleporter sound "blatant" given the persistent overreaching sounds of explosions and gunfire that frequently drown it out. My hearing is ostensibly unimpaired and I have trouble hearing it a lot of the time over justice raining from above and Tracer asking if I've ever experienced feelings of deja vu, usually if I'm going teleporter hunting I just start checking all the commonly used spots on the map or keeping an eye out for people that just got killed emerging from a nearby doorway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Asimo posted:

I'm saying they're typically the loudest noise happening unless you're actually in a 4+ person firefight on the point with at least one pharah and one junkrat. Enemy footsteps are thunderingly loud in this game and they're made even louder when the enemy is on fire. Hell, with enough bass response on your headphones or speakers they'll probably be felt in addition to being heard. It's seriously like someone rearranging an upper-floor weight room in an older house.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FAUXTON posted:

I'm saying they're typically the loudest noise happening unless you're actually in a 4+ person firefight on the point with at least one pharah and one junkrat. Enemy footsteps are thunderingly loud in this game and they're made even louder when the enemy is on fire. Hell, with enough bass response on your headphones or speakers they'll probably be felt in addition to being heard. It's seriously like someone rearranging an upper-floor weight room in an older house.

Are you seriously arguing with a person who is hearing impaired about whether or not particular sounds are obvious?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah I totally can't say I hear it like that. :v: Like I can maybe hear my own if I'm running back from spawn and there's no immediate gunfire in the vicinity, but I think I've heard McCree's once or twice ever(mostly due to the spur jangle) and basically never heard anyone else's in an actual fight, since any sort of conbat noise nearby just drowns it out entirely.

It's like this critical gameplay awareness mechanic that I can't participate in. I mean there's plenty of other reasons my ranking is in the low 30's such as having a shoulder injury and just being middle aged, but at least horrible aim is immediately blatant and not just something where everyone else has an inherent anti-flanking advantage I don't. That's somehow way more... disheartening than just being bad, I guess? It's hard to explain. :(

NmareBfly posted:

Are you seriously arguing with a person who is hearing impaired about whether or not particular sounds are obvious?
Nah, I asume he's just pointing out how it's objectively supposed to be experienced for context's sake.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I would probably go Winston. People can't sneak up on you if you just jumped into the middle of them.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

nickhimself posted:

If you leave in competitive, but try to queue up into something else within 30 minutes, the game should lock you out of any and all game modes for 24 hours

I think this is wrong, the leaver penalty should apply a complete lockout before your left match finishes,. meaning that if you rage quit during a match you cannot play again until that match is over which will prevent leaving unless its a real emergency as you cannot start a new match until your original match ends - which may also put you in the same group again :)

That would be a good deterrent

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

TheresaJayne posted:

I think this is wrong, the leaver penalty should apply a complete lockout before your left match finishes,. meaning that if you rage quit during a match you cannot play again until that match is over which will prevent leaving unless its a real emergency as you cannot start a new match until your original match ends - which may also put you in the same group again :)

That would be a good deterrent

Uhh that's how it works right now, and it's not a deterrent at all. And when someone leaves a game it'll finish quicker anyways, as it's more likely that more people will leave or just stand in spawn than try to put up a fight against impossible odds

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Double Bill posted:

Uhh that's how it works right now, and it's not a deterrent at all. And when someone leaves a game it'll finish quicker anyways, as it's more likely that more people will leave or just stand in spawn than try to put up a fight against impossible odds

i have seen lots of people die and then rage quit and then restart a new match immediately - i know because I have then backfilled and they have been on the team i backfilled

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Manatee Cannon posted:

junkrat is only ok at koth and only on some sections of some maps. he's slow and koth maps are too open for him to do decent area denial, plus flankers eat him alive

Actually Junkrat is great at KOTH and in every other game mode and every part of the game cause he's the best character. Maybe learn to play scrub

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/Scott_DeWitt/status/752928239920771072

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Come on dude, they had a family!

https://gfycat.com/PlaintiveValuableCob

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Asimo posted:

Yeah I totally can't say I hear it like that. :v: Like I can maybe hear my own if I'm running back from spawn and there's no immediate gunfire in the vicinity, but I think I've heard McCree's once or twice ever(mostly due to the spur jangle) and basically never heard anyone else's in an actual fight, since any sort of conbat noise nearby just drowns it out entirely.

It's like this critical gameplay awareness mechanic that I can't participate in. I mean there's plenty of other reasons my ranking is in the low 30's such as having a shoulder injury and just being middle aged, but at least horrible aim is immediately blatant and not just something where everyone else has an inherent anti-flanking advantage I don't. That's somehow way more... disheartening than just being bad, I guess? It's hard to explain. :(

That's a bummer - the game is supposed to have enemy footsteps be louder than friendly ones, but AFAIK there's no way to set their volume separately. You might be well-served by playing Reinhardt or another brawler, and sticking with teammates/the enemy, but that can always go south too. Really good groups have a habit of just calling out whenever they hear thumps but the goon pendulum has swung away from competitive so everyone just wants to play laffowatch in QP so nobody's going to be making even a fraction of that effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Looks like a potg for Zaraya or Lucio to me...

Is there any official word on console patches?