Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

It's all coming crashing down :allears:
What a great time to be a goon and a loyal follower of the church of Smart.

If I were Orthwin I'd do my damnest to keep Chris as far away from this mess as possible because nothing but hilarious ramblings can come out of this.
So, Orthwin, be a dear and go check some numbers for a few days, will you?

gently caress yeah, I finally get my snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Loving the comment threads on these articles. Star citizen has hit market saturation, everyone who cares about space games has already heard of it and what they've heard is it's a lovely game that's never coming out.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015
I'm sure MOMA will appear in a few days saying he's been really busy and what did he miss. Then will avoid every question about his thoughts on the last few days.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lladre posted:

So I did not want to post anything until the balances hit my account.

While my story may not be the 3k windfall of Streetroller, It was still predicated on the same principle.
And we both had filed our own BBB reports unbeknownst to each other. I received my response a few
days before he did.

Back in January 2014, everyone was still believing that the game could be made and be fun. So I bought
a Constellation (Large multi-person ship for exploration) package. (It was my guess that the package was
like most games in the sense that the six month’s insurance would amount to a 14 dollar a month style
charge, plus I would get a nifty USB drive and some other poo poo I cared nothing about). So I filled in the
goonrathi spreadsheet, I tried out the hangar when it came out, then I completely forgot about the
whole thing. I had moved on, you know doing stuff in real life having fun. Hell even playing games
online.

Fast forward to June 2015: I got major reconstructive surgery done on my rotator cuff to fix what was
basically a debilitating injury that left me unable to throw anything with my dominant arm (Like eggs at
the wife) even opening a door at times would be excruciating pain, and sleep was often interrupted
from it. I was on oxycodone for the pain (it’s a hell of a drug) and I got an email from RSI with a LTI sale
for a Reliant (small cargo ship) for only $50, mind you I pay that much for a fancy tank in WOT couple a
times a year. Important thing to remember though since I was so hopped up on these pain pills I literally
did not recall buying this ship. I had to piece it together from fragments.
Fast forward to January 2016: I get another one of these emails from RSI, so I go hey I haven’t looked at
that game in forever I should probably go check it out. And check it out I did. And I quickly realized that
this game they had sold me on in January 2014 was not the game I was getting. And from the looks of
things I was not getting a game ever. I logged into my account to get the details of my purchase, noticed
I had a Reliant, figured had been given to me a stretch goal (I didn’t realize I bought this thing till I saw
the separate purchase and order number attached to it). So I get all this information together and I
asked for a refund. And I was promptly denied. I asked again, denied again. Pointed out to them that
they had not delivered a product which is when any “grace period” starts. Ray gets involved at this point
and tells me I’m out of luck since I agreed to the new TOS when I bought the Reliant. I check the dates.
And I am out of luck. Or am I?

Fast forward to June 2016: I request a refund once again from RSI. They say no. I say yes, the TOS
promised date has passed, give me back my money. They respond with silence.
This goes on several times. I finally say hell with this. I file a complaint with the FTC and the BBB. I
receive a response from RSI that I had complained about the wrong company and that I had agreed to
their TOS (The new one which I never did) but that they would refund me my money anyways.

Well I wait. Nothing. So I ask for my money again. Get the same answer, no. I ask what exactly is this
statute they are referring to and when does the fourteen day grace period start. No answer. I email
again. Point out that they claimed in the BBB response they would refund me. Told them I would wait
three days for a response then start proceeding. Finally I get a reply. “Are you 100% sure you want your
money back?” …. I respond, Yes, I am 100% sure. They ask for a PayPal account to give the money to.
And finally I am in the clear. $325.00 USD is back in my hands. July 2016. Worth. Every. Penny.

LTDR: Do not give up. File a complaint with the BBB and the FTC if you reside in the states.

PS: those google charges are the wife playing Candy Crush.
PPS: See AP, I told you I hadn't given up.

Nicely done, scary skinny avatar dude. We can only hope the examples given by both Streetroller and yourself help seed an avalanche of people that are tired of waiting for nothing and finally decide to take a stand.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Tullius posted:

I'm sure MOMA will appear in a few days saying he's been really busy and what did he miss. Then will avoid every question about his thoughts on the last few days.

He's either doubting right now or straight up rolling with the company line of "Nothing to see here, we were always giving out refunds, Chris wrote about it in his blog in July 2015"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MoMA is staring at the airtight ToS he wrote and wondering how those meddling goons defeated it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

These screenshots are star-citizen-design.jpg

It's broken, but even if it was fixed it would be stupid and obnoxious because someone thought it was "realistic".

It's everything in Star Citizen.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

MoMA is staring at the airtight ToS he wrote and wondering how those meddling goons defeated it

:roflolmao:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Moma is major coward. When he returns, he will completely ignore Streetrollers refund and all the articles it spawned and instead go back to nitpicking minutia and argue over semantics. Because deep down he knows SC hosed.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Some highlights: http://kotaku.com/report-star-citizen-backer-gets-2550-refund-1783699701

quote:

A backer of the infamously expansive space shooter Star Citizen has argued for, and won, a sizeable refund on his $2550 pledge to the game on the grounds that “the product remains unfulfilled and no longer constitutes the product(s) I originally purchased.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/14/star-citizen-refund/

quote:

Where do you stand? Is this a victory for consumers against companies who hold millions of dollars? Or does it simply set the scene for an exodus of disenfranchised consumer-investors?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ey-general.aspx

quote:

The game, which was originally due in November 2014, is still in Alpha. The road forward is murky.

quote:

the company points out that “takebacks” aren’t fair to the other backers

quote:

the delivery dates were simply estimates.

quote:

Update: Cloud Imperium Games has responded to our request for comment. "Any refunds with respect to Star Citizen are made on a discretionary basis," a representative told us via email. "There was nothing special about this situation. The fact that this particular party used a complaint form that is online and openly available, doesn’t make this any different."

And finally:

quote:

Our Take
Yes, asking for a refund for a crowdfunding pledge is antithetical to the process. Backing a campaign is a risky endeavor.

However, CIG did include that clause in its terms of service, suggesting that it would deliver within the 18 months of the expected release date (November 2014). It’s hard to suggest that the original projected release was a mere estimate when you’re tying the ability to request a refund to that tentpole.

Star Citizen has experienced mission creep, has missed milestones, and is one of the biggest enigmas in gaming right now. I suspect with “Steamroller’s” victory here, we’re likely to see the crack in the dam widen. The controversy around this game isn't likely to calm soon.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

"the man himself under one of his many aliases" indeed

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yes, asking for a refund for a crowdfunding pledge is antithetical to the process. Backing a campaign is a risky endeavor.

:laffo:

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I suspect with “Steamroller’s” victory here, we’re likely to see the crack in the dam widen. The controversy around this game isn't likely to calm soon.

I'm glad of it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tullius posted:

Moma has recently used the company lines of

1. Crowdfunding is a risk
&
2. I'd say more on what I've seen but NDA

Over 98% of funding raised for Star Citizen has been via a "Store" link on the RSI website. Zero crowdfunding has happened for Star Citizen since 2012 & several of the ships included in the 2012 kickstarter have not been delivered to even walk around in the hangar as yet, like the $1000 Idris and $225 Caterpillar "Great work, Kickstarter! You've passed the $1.5M level and unlocked the Caterpillar, a transport designed specifically for use by pirates." .

On the NDA who exactly believes that any competitor to Star Citizen is doing anything but laughing? There's no reason for a NDA, there is no secret dev build where players always spawn visible, get reasonable FPS, play Santa ball & don't clip out of their ships. The reason we know this is that if a better build existed they'd be showing videos of it to sell even more poo poo.

Note, deploying company lines doesn't mean he works there, it's is very possible that moma is just incredibly gullible. Let's also not forget his focus on defending indefensible TOS changes.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015
I just want to say.

I
Am
Loving
This.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : There's always MoMa, its always 'verse.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Seriously, the only reason crowdfunding is risky is because you keep telling yourselfs that it's risky so giant steaming turds like CIG can do whatever they want.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
"If the answer turns out to be something along the lines of “community obsesses over common asset”, please do not report back. I would prefer to live in ignorance, with my wild theories and speculation."

:lol:

http://www.vg247.com/2016/07/15/presented-without-comment-star-citizen-the-ballad-of-big-bennys/

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Justin Tyme posted:

dear cig/reddit lurkers

crowdfunding is not charity or donation

in what rational sense is "pledging" for star citizen not a preorder of digital goods with the promise that this order will be fulfilled. hopefully the failure of this loving poo poo farce will bring solid precedent for consumer protection laws governing crowdfunding

Also, note that the word “pledge” is probably the last one you'd want to use in this situation.

Legally, a pledge is the collateral you hand over to someone to secure a loan or promise of future delivery of service. It is a way of saying “I owe you; in the mean-time, have this.” Note the direction of this transaction: A pledges to B; B gives A a loan or similar future demand of repayment. By pledging, A owes something to B, not the other way around. If A defaults on their debt, the pledge is there so that B can sell it off and recuperate the cost of this broken promise.

If you go into a pawn shop and pawn (rather than outright sell) your guitar for $50, the guitar is the pledge — it's the thing that the pawn shop does not own (yet), but which they can sell off if you don't come back an repay the $50 (+fees) within the agreed-upon timeframe.

The backers are giving CIG money. If this is supposed to be a “pledging” exchange, then this makes CIG the pledgor, not the backers; it make the money given to CIG a loan, not a donation; and the problem is that CIG does not offer any security against this loan so in reality, there is no pledge — the transaction is void by default. The fact that they intend to pay back the loan with future services is all fine and good, but there is still no pledge because there is no change of ownership; there is no security or collateral.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ortwin Frothingmouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGmMO0zbJo

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Also, note that the word “pledge” is probably the last one you'd want to use in this situation.

Legally, a pledge is the collateral you hand over to someone to secure a loan or promise of future delivery of service. It is a way of saying “I owe you; in the mean-time, have this.” Note the direction of this transaction: A pledges to B; B gives A a loan or similar future demand of repayment. By pledging, A owes something to B, not the other way around. If A defaults on their debt, the pledge is there so that B can sell it off and recuperate the cost of this broken promise.

If you go into a pawn shop and pawn (rather than outright sell) your guitar for $50, the guitar is the pledge — it's the thing that the pawn shop does not own (yet), but which they can sell off if you don't come back an repay the $50 (+fees) within the agreed-upon timeframe.

The backers are giving CIG money. If this is supposed to be a “pledging” exchange, then this makes CIG the pledgor, not the backers; it make the money given to CIG a loan, not a donation; and the problem is that CIG does not offer any security against this loan so in reality, there is no pledge — the transaction is void by default. The fact that they intend to pay back the loan with future services is all fine and good, but there is still no pledge because there is no change of ownership; there is no security or collateral.

You clearly don't understand game development.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

If i would try to catch people with a bulletproof gently caress-them-over TOS, id have a lawyer check if its really as bulletproof as i think.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If i would try to catch people with a bulletproof gently caress-them-over TOS, id have a lawyer check if its really as bulletproof as i think.

Ortwin was out sharpening his teeth so MoMA was like "IT COMPILES IS FULL OF poo poo, RELEASE IT"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
congratulations you lunatics your all famous

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

congratulations you lunatics your all famous

StreetrollerSteamroller has made Something Awful Dot Com relevant again

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Has EuroGamer been posted yet?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-15-through-gritted-teeth-star-citizen-developer-gives-player-whopping-usd2500-refund

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Ortwin was out sharpening his teeth so MoMA was like "IT COMPILES IS FULL OF poo poo, RELEASE IT"

I meant a real lawyer.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

So we need Polygon, IGN, PCG and Ars for a full house, right?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The real loss is that this will never get poo poo on by Yahtzee, cause he only does released games.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013

"through gritted teeth"

Can someone link to the article where Chris Roberts was interviewed a while back and literally said "If someone is unhappy and wants a refund, we have no problem giving it to them no questions asked!"?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I like how the first comment links to :pgabz:'s latest video

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

legion989 posted:

"through gritted teeth"

Can someone link to the article where Chris Roberts was interviewed a while back and literally said "If someone is unhappy and wants a refund, we have no problem giving it to them no questions asked!"?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/20/9180067/star-citizen-backers-claiming-refunds-are-getting-their-money-back

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Atreiden posted:

Moma is major coward. When he returns, he will completely ignore Streetrollers refund and all the articles it spawned and instead go back to nitpicking minutia and argue over semantics. Because deep down he knows SC hosed.

I don´t think he is a coward. As Toast, he really is probably not at liberty of discussing it too much in depth in the open anyways. Either that or whatever he is going to post next on the matter has required to undergo a thorough filter at CIG first, which also takes time anyways. Either way I am pretty sure he is also busy preparing for the implications all this may have in the future for CIG.

Just give the poor guy some slack, will ya! :argh:

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The real loss is that this will never get poo poo on by Yahtzee, cause he only does released games.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just scrolling through the comments sections of the various sites...

:ohdear:

the shitizens really must have a tough day, trying to put out the fire left, right and center (and getting more :argh: on each new post, it seems), only for another article to pop up. And by doing so, they create one click after another for the gaming sites, who now smell the blood in the water.

I somehow pity those poor shitizens...

....nah, actually not.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Didn't he do one for Duke nukem forever before it was anywhere near release?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tullius posted:

Didn't he do one for Duke nukem forever before it was anywhere near release?

That was a joke review though because nerds would bother him without end.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Look at me I'm an investor!

:thumbsup:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

These people really are natural born chumps. They talk themselves into paying many times more than what a videogame should cost, and on top of that talk themselves into believing all that money comes with no right to expectations of actually receiving an as-described product by a concrete date. And still they give!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uUg7vnr6os

• Locked thread