Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i want bonsai man to murder me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think bonsai man is real

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Possibly in an actual presentation it would work better? Maybe accompanied by a backstory or some shrill, piercing jazz...but yeah, just a sketch alone makes it look dumb as gently caress.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think this hideo reedus trailer was posted here surprisingly

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that's some bad music

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
*slenderman, bonsai man, johnny fiveaces and every character from every goon project come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why hasn't anyone kickstarted a Zybourne Clock reboot yet?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

unpacked robinhood posted:

I don't think this hideo reedus trailer was posted here surprisingly
I think it's because no one knows if it's a horror game or what? Outside that trailer, has there been any information on the game?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Iron Crowned posted:

Why hasn't anyone kickstarted a Zybourne Clock reboot yet?

for a reboot to happen, there needs to be a first boot

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coolguye posted:

But for a kickstarter to happen there doesn't have to be a product

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

horn section posted:

it can be. theres just no room for bonsai man there

There's plenty of room for Bonsai Man. He's small.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Len posted:

so what we're really talking about is just taking zyborne clock to kickstarter like it has no history at all

seems like they'd be dumb enough to bite

al-azad
May 28, 2009

horn section posted:

I bet Suda could pull it off in Killer 7's style.

Len posted:

With the way this year is trending I'd say this isn't true anymore and Kickstarter will be better for it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 14, 2016

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Some of these just look to be a victim of poor, awkward translation. But yeah hopefully if they do end up making or trying to make an actual game they'll weed out some of those more goofy designs.
I think the artist is Canadian, actually. Seems to speak fluent English on Twitter, last I saw!

My complaint about the monster design is that (besides that centipede flasher guy), every monster is just "Normal person's body, with a head that's hosed up in some way." Kinda samey-samey. I was happy to see centipede flasher guy, but he's kind of just the inverse of my complaint.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

VoidBurger posted:

I think the artist is Canadian, actually. Seems to speak fluent English on Twitter, last I saw!

My complaint about the monster design is that (besides that centipede flasher guy), every monster is just "Normal person's body, with a head that's hosed up in some way." Kinda samey-samey. I was happy to see centipede flasher guy, but he's kind of just the inverse of my complaint.

Wait, what? But the wording on some things is so awkward and weird. :psyduck:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Wait, what? But the wording on some things is so awkward and weird. :psyduck:

Maybe his first language is French

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

The first The Suffering was pretty good as far as "human forms twisted in weird ways" type monsters. Wonder what that character designer has been up to lately.

Most of the Suffering's monsters were representative of ways of execution; one of my favorites was the one that represented a firing squad death. It's a big muscular thing that erupts out of the earth tied to a post with a blindfold and bullet holes in his chest, and he shoots you with the five guns on stalks attached to his back.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Height of that trope is Cryostasis's Guy with a prison cell for a head. I thought it was a little too much.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Speedball posted:

The first The Suffering was pretty good as far as "human forms twisted in weird ways" type monsters. Wonder what that character designer has been up to lately.

Most of the Suffering's monsters were representative of ways of execution; one of my favorites was the one that represented a firing squad death. It's a big muscular thing that erupts out of the earth tied to a post with a blindfold and bullet holes in his chest, and he shoots you with the five guns on stalks attached to his back.

God an HD The Suffering... I wish that game didn't gently caress up on an emulator.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

Height of that trope is Cryostasis's Guy with a prison cell for a head. I thought it was a little too much.

It was the slow escalation in enemy design I liked. You started off with frostbite zombies who, aside from one dude who was pretty chill about not having a lower jaw and could maybe see you through time , were pretty normal, then frostbite zombies with rifles, then you stumble across an ice-spider-man in a cargo elevator and then we start seeing guys with bits of ship stuck to them and bird-fly people and by the end of the game it's just the concepts of "heat" and "cold" battling with you in the middle.

I am so happy I got a physical copy of that game. Haven't seen anyone selling it online in years.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

woodenchicken posted:

That sounds amazing and now I want to play that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

It sure is... something. Kind of a jankier Condemned (if that's possible) with wacky Russian storyline lost in translation. Certainly worth a look.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

It sure is... something. Kind of a jankier Condemned (if that's possible) with wacky Russian storyline lost in translation. Certainly worth a look.

Yeah, I saw Giant Bomb's Quick Look, and it just had ice zombies, and they weren't anywhere near as crazygonuts as that. I really enjoyed Condemned, and I wish the sequel had a PC port.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cryostasis is a very pretty and interesting and good game but I wouldn't call it scary

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

As far as "guys with weird heads" the safe-headed Keeper from Evil Within was pretty alright. The interior of that safe was nothing but weird fleshy goo, he had a variety of weapons at his disposal including traps, a hammer, a bag full of junk, and he constantly respawned as long as there was another safe nearby. He was even clever about it, like killing himself deliberately to respawn next to the hero when he got separated from the hero.

Spotlight was a pretty memorable nemesis monster too.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think story is THE reason to play Cryostasis. Other story-based shooters could learn a thing or two from it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

I think story is THE reason to play Cryostasis. Other story-based shooters could learn a thing or two from it.

That and the ice.

IIRC it had very pretty ice.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I just heard that there's an upcoming remake of Pathologic, the weird Russian plague game and a remaster that was released last year. The original had some great ideas and a really creepy atmosphere but was absolutely painful to play. Does anyone know anything about the remaster and whether it fixed any of the things that made it a chore to play or if it's just a better translation and I'm better off waiting for the remake?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The updated version of the original is just better graphics and translation as far I'm aware, if you didn't get on well with it you'd be better off waiting for the remake.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
The remake will almost certainly be a vastly different game that will only share the setting and characters with the original. They are not interchangeable.

But yes, the remaster only introduces widescreen support and good English.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 15, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I liked what I understood of the story, the atmosphere and the survival/economy/rationing aspects. The gameplay was pretty painful though. Hopefully it keeps most of what made it unique and interesting without being such a chore to play. Maybe I'll check out the remaster anyway. Cheers for the answers.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Speedball posted:

Stan Winston Studios designed them.

woodenchicken posted:

Yeah, this. I wouldn't call it wacky though...aside from the final boss, The God of Time. It has a real good ending.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Suffering is one of those games that had no right being as amazingly good as it was. Good story, great creature designs, good writing and voicework, unique setting, and absolutely badass gameplay. It was a different kind of horror, but it worked.

I also really appreciated actually being able to save/help a few people.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Coolguye posted:

imagine four boots on the edge of a cliff

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

woodenchicken posted:

Skyscraper posted:

I never got to play it. I ended up watching a subtitled LP of it. I'm no sure if you can even get that game anywhere now. It used to be on Steam I think.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I just heard that there's an upcoming remake of Pathologic, the weird Russian plague game and a remaster that was released last year. The original had some great ideas and a really creepy atmosphere but was absolutely painful to play. Does anyone know anything about the remaster and whether it fixed any of the things that made it a chore to play or if it's just a better translation and I'm better off waiting for the remake?

Here's another one I've wanted to play but it sounds like a play through would be exhausting. I'm definitely keeping an eye on how the remake turns out.

Night10194 posted:

The Suffering is one of those games that had no right being as amazingly good as it was. Good story, great creature designs, good writing and voicework, unique setting, and absolutely badass gameplay. It was a different kind of horror, but it worked.

I also really appreciated actually being able to save/help a few people.

That game was so good.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Here's another one I've wanted to play but it sounds like a play through would be exhausting. I'm definitely keeping an eye on how the remake turns out.

It would be and that turns out to be a very good thing if you can make room for it in your life. Pathologic is an amazing experience in a way that really would not work as well if it was friendlier to the player, which is why it's so cool that they did the remaster thing in addition to the ongoing work on the remake. The Void is similar, maybe even better.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

I ended up looking for it on Steam after talking about it here and buying it. It's 40% off right now.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

horn section posted:

guess what, bonsai man is win

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I recall the prison cell head dude in Cryostasis was far more, uh, trippy? Than outright scary.

The longer he looked at you the more the screen changed and faded until you were seeing yourself from within the cell that was his face.

I always thought that was really loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best weird head person that I've played were the decapitated ghost monks in Fatal Frame1, they were loving annoying!