Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elfgames posted:

Drive- didn't watch sorry

smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Kamen RIder Ex-Aid: (something is off with these scans and he looks more purple then he should.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeesh. i know the suit designs have very little to do with the quality of the story and characters, but those are garish even by kr standards.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
These suits look stupid and ridiculous and I love them and their anime eyes

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm on board with the neon anime suit. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Kaijin gimmick is for this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So he... begins as a tiny SD dude and powers up? Does a guy henshin into an SD guy or is this like an SD Gundam thing where the main protagonist is always a Kamen Rider?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The smaller version is apparently Ex-Aid's bike who can also transform into a Kamen Rider (Kamen Rider Racer). From what I've heard, the show will also have 5 Riders from the very start. It's not a bad suit, it's just that nothing about it particularly strikes me as Kamen Rider-esque. I'll probably get used to it eventually though.

Between this and the Akibaranger-esque design it makes me think that Ex-Aid might be a more light-hearted series than we've had in the past. Which is good because we haven't had one of those since Fourze.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 15, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, so a third motorcycle-themed kr?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

uh, so a third motorcycle-themed kr?

Basically Accel only in reverse, yes (though Faiz's bike could also turn into a robot).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 15, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm having 90s flashbacks from those colors alone

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Season 3 of SD Gundam Force is looking pretty alright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gently caress, I love this, it's tubular as hell. I hope he's a rad dude with a bad tude.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
This looks like someone raided my closet in 1992.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

A video game themes Rider who's form changes are different game genres.

Okay yeah I'm down.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care for the aesthetic myself, mostly the goofy anime bullshit, but if it leads to Sonic jokes and he has 16 bit blast processing I'll be fine with it

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

eh gaim kinda burnt me out i was starting a new job and the suit was ugly as sin.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, the RPG one is actually named Kamen Rider Brave.

It's going to be that thing about Kyoryuger all over again except no one can "localize" around it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh my god it's beautiful. :syoon:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm Kamen Rider EX-AID Robot Action Gamer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is the show's premise apparently, taken from here:

"In 2016, the unknown kaijin Bugstar starts their invasion by infecting humans through video games with viruses. To aid those infected, the genius game player Emu (pronounced m-moo) uses the Gamer Driver and the legendary games Gashat to transform into Kamen Rider Ex-Aid and fight the Bugstar! Different Riders representing different genres appears! Game Start! Ace all the games and defeat the Bugstars!"

Ex-Aid will premiere on October 2nd, meaning Ghost will run for about 50 episodes assuming there are no delays.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 15, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

"In 2016, the unknown kaijin Bugstar starts their invasion by infecting humans through video games with viruses. To aid those infected, the genius game player Emu (pronounced m-moo) uses the Gamer Driver and the legendary games Gashat to transform into Kamen Rider Ex-Aid and fight the Bugstar! Different Riders representing different genres appears! Game Start! Ace all the games and defeat the Bugstars!"

Ex-Aid will premiere on October 2nd, meaning Ghost will run for about 50 episodes assuming there are no delays.

ok who spiked the punch with acid

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Get the power-up and win the game!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Literally The Worst posted:

ok who spiked the punch with acid

Wasn't this the general reaction to the overall summation of Gaim too?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everything about this show seems so bizzare, it sounds more like a parody of Kamen Rider than a legitimate show, though that kind of makes me want to watch it more just to see how insane this gets (though who knows, this might end up being the Rider equivalent of Carranger, which would be a good thing in my opinion).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 15, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Numbers posted:

Wasn't this the general reaction to the overall summation of Gaim too?

gaim seemed like they were just throwing everything in and gettin weird with it but with urobuchi at the helm to give people faith that it would pull it off

this

this just looks bonkers

im hype

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not too keen on suits it hurts to look at, but the rest of the weirdness sounds great

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if this will be a "people desperately unfamiliar with games try to write about games" show or a "people actually aware of games make a self-aware thing" show.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The part that confuses me is, how does he blow into his belt before he sticks the Gashat in?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there a nostalgic boom for retro games among kids in Japan or something these days? It feels weird as hell to go "hm, yes, let's make SNES Rider"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Rhythm RPG Kamen Rider is pretty modern indie, I'd say.

Actually all the level 3's are some bizarre mashup you'd see as one of those jam prompts, except Combat Shooting Gamer. Like, yes?

And they all share a Hunter form beyond level 3 with what I think is DragoKnight Hunter. What is that, DQ nostalgia? Monster Hunter? Some sort of old game where the boss is a dragon?

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
What I wanna know is, what the hell is "chambara" supposed to be. Are they referring to stuff like Dynasty Warriors? Is "ikkitousen" ("one who is the equal of a thousand", the phrase Koei Tecmo's PR people like to use to refer to the Warriors games) trademarked or something?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, are we going to have a Dragon Quest Rider? That could be amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe chambara is just like character action games. Dude plays some sick Bayo 2.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Simon The Digger posted:

What I wanna know is, what the hell is "chambara" supposed to be. Are they referring to stuff like Dynasty Warriors? Is "ikkitousen" ("one who is the equal of a thousand", the phrase Koei Tecmo's PR people like to use to refer to the Warriors games) trademarked or something?

I mean, chambara is what samurai movie sword fighting is called. No idea in this context, though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Burkion where did you get UltraSeven dubbed? Was that on the US DVD set? I thought Turner buried it or something.

I remember Space Ghost Coast to Coast used footage from it a few times that I think had to be changed out on the DVDs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

This guy looks like a mascot for Super Soakers or TurboGrafx in 1993's America.

I am immediately interested in this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Burkion where did you get UltraSeven dubbed? Was that on the US DVD set? I thought Turner buried it or something.

I remember Space Ghost Coast to Coast used footage from it a few times that I think had to be changed out on the DVDs.

For the longest time I only had three episodes on a VHS from the early 90s. Then I made some connections on the internet and made a friend who had a lot of obscure poo poo. We're talking 2004, 2005. He's the whole reason I got to see Bioman, the dub, when I did and he had near about every episode of UltraSeven dubbed recorded on VHS and transferred to DVD, the ones that got aired anyways.

Now online you should be able to find the dub on youtube, though it's also going to be VHS transfers just because, as you said, Turner buried the show. Presumably Tsuburaya would have the rights to the dub and have copies of them, but the UltraSeven subbed DVDs that got released here in the states weren't through Tsuburaya but a different company and that's this whole mess not worth going into.

What I would love to see is the Hawaiian English Dub of UltraSeven- apparently it was entirely faithful, but also made by, for lack of a kinder word, amateurs and it was very stilted. The real problem is simply that it may not have been preserved, and since it was released in 1975, only three episodes are known to exist- though they are extremely hard to find. It did give us a, very literal, translation of the opening theme song which is kind of amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzxt8-qQkVI

You can see all of the openings back to back from 1967, to 1975 to 1985.

The Space Ghost Coast to Coast creators loved UltraSeven as well and they loved to pull footage from it when they could.

That VHS was my prized possession as a child until it unfortunately broke in the early 2000s. It had a Godzilla Monster Vision marathon on it with Godzilla VS Mothra, Monster Zero and Godzilla's Revenge, and at the very end of the tape was the three episodes of UltraSeven, my first look into the world of Tokustasu beyond Power Rangers. I was so stoked when I saw Ultraman Tiga because it made me remember those episodes and get online to look up information about it.

EDIT- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfMiPVEVosQ&t=1270s

Here is the monologue about Dan thinking about how to get Donna to fix up his uniform from the dub, if it starts where it should. This episode is also amazing because of the voice they gave the

Villains

The Evil Hotdog Men as Space Ghost called them.

I kind of love this dub a lot.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 15, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Larryb posted:

That premise is so loving 90s I'm kinda disappointed it'll never air on Fox Box between Street Sharks and Magic School Bus

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Kamen M: The Game Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God that's right I forgot!

The hilarious censorship!

So, the thing about 1967 UltraSeven is that it was, and could be, a very violent show. Seven's favorite method of killing enemies wasn't to kick them so they'd blow up- it was to dismember them. His head crest is actually a boomerang blade that he can telekenetically direct and it murders things real good.

1985 censorship didn't fly with that. Not even for a show that was going to be airing late nights and was, sort of? for adults? I guess?

So as you'll see, Seven reaches for the head blade and then it's a hard cut to the aliens leaving. That's because the big doofy moron he was fighting just got

Welll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q0IMjyZ_kc&t=307s

This. The violence in Tokusatsu was interesting actually. This goes across Ultraman and even into Kamen Rider, since Rider is what, eventually, started to change things- in Pre Kamen Rider Niigo tokustasu, killing enemies was a very violent ugly thing.

They didn't explode after they died, unless what killed them was being exploded. Which is a whole other thing.

Ultraman and UltraSeven's beam weapons rarely made an enemy vanish, they just dropped dead or burned to death. And Seven in particular was known for beating enemies to death and his hacking and slashing.

Kamen Rider was the same way to begin with, as the Rider Kick wasn't a real thing until they had to think up ways to be more outlandish and kid friendly, and it only started making enemies explode after they realized that was a cheap but flashy way to end fights.

Kamen Rider, though it wouldn't exist without Ultraman, also influenced Ultraman a fair amount.

Ultraman Ace was made with a lot flashier attacks and a lot of more Kamen Rider-y poses. From Ace on Ultras got a lot more flash to their fighting style and would stop to do random energetic things like Riders would.

I find the circle of influence a very interesting thing.

• Locked thread