Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

NTT posted:

So how do you properly park a car then? Drive > N > E brake > P?

Yes. The parking brake should be holding the car, not the transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

NTT posted:

Apply foot brake > shift to Park > set the hand brake > release foot brake > shut off car

We recently bought a Dodge Caravan and it has one of those weird foot pedal parking brakes which is tucked up under the dashboard. It's very easy to forget that it exists but I make sure to set it every time because I don't trust the parking pawl one little bit.

Speaking of the Caravan it has a column shifter which is in my opinion a dumb idea and bad human-machine interface design. All of my other cars have been manuals or the automatic shifter was laid out in a straight line with or without a side detent for manumatic mode.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All shifters were originally on the column. Imagine your standard H pattern three speed transmission except your shifter is sticking out the right side of the steering column.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've only ever driven automatics and I only use the parking brake on hills. But then I also point wheels to the curb so whatever. Never had any problems.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Nice! posted:

All shifters were originally on the column. Imagine your standard H pattern three speed transmission except your shifter is sticking out the right side of the steering column.

3 on the tree owned

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

dscruffy1 posted:

I've only ever driven automatics and I only use the parking brake on hills. But then I also point wheels to the curb so whatever. Never had any problems.

Well, it depends on whether you're facing uphill or downhill. If you're facing uphill, you want your wheels turned away from the curb where facing downhill you want them pointed in.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

dscruffy1 posted:

If the car is hit while parked the parking brake will provide stability to the vehicle, and in most cases will prevent it from rolling away. It also doesn't take much of an incline to get a car to start rolling. Next thing you know it's rolling through people watching fireworks.

Mr. Nice! posted:

We had a 5 speed truck like this in the air force. It would have sucked to have learned manual on that. I learned on a super touchy toyota corolla. I hated that thing but once I eventually got the hang of it, I could drive every normal manual transmission easy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

NTT posted:

Just put it in park, but keep your foot on the brake until you engage the parking brake. It's not difficult.

dscruffy1 posted:

You won't have a problem until (it's rare) the pawl is worn down enough that park=neutral and your car rolls away.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

chemosh6969 posted:

I learned on a super touchy toyota corolla. I hated that thing but once I eventually got the hang of it, I could drive every normal manual transmission easy.

I learned on a super lovely 1981 Mustang with a mostly worn out clutch. Driving anything manual newer than that is amazingly easy.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I'm the idiot. I was an E2 at my first duty station (Camp Pendleton) in 2007, when I decided to buy a 2004 Tiburon at a shady dealership outside Miramar, for more than Navy Fed was willing to give me, and at 12%APR. Also, it was manual and I had no idea how to drive manual. Drove from Miramar most of the way back in third gear, too scared to shift, stalled at least a dozen times trying to get through the gate, MP even offered to get it through for me.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Godholio posted:

Just put it in park, but keep your foot on the brake until you engage the parking brake. It's not difficult.

You won't have a problem until (it's rare) the pawl is worn down enough that park=neutral and your car rolls away.

It's good advice; thanks.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...83327b06834cb2a

Majestic.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Hell of a shot really.

quote:

according to one former officer, who said: “They wouldn’t be the first to fire flares at each other at the ‘Bovvy Hilton’. This sort of thing used to happen all the time in my day.”

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 27, 2016

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

quote:

The Air Force raised the maximum age for enlisted accession from 27 to 39, meaning it may now be the best choice for those who feel the call to military service later in life.

The maximum age for Army enlisted recruits is 35, while the Navy and Marines cap recruit ages at 34 and 28, respectively.

http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force/air-force-raises-enlistee-age-limit-from-27-to-39-1.290578

Less chairforce, more lay-z-boyforce

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

if i land in your drop zone
jack me off and ship me home
shoot my jizz upon my chest
tell my momma i did my best

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

I mean, it's no Masturbating Monkey, but it'll do.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
godspeed, masturbating monkey o7

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Pray for Wacko

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
You never forget your first time in combat. I'll never forget mine.

We were mounted up, people were coming out of their houses to wish us well. Man, we were scared, and we looked it. We thought we had been trained, but you can't train for the real thing. When we started moving out....man, its like we didn't even know how to use our equipment. Suddenly it felt that our uniforms were loose-fitting, our helmets falling over our eyes. Nerves, I guess.

Then it happened. Contact - front. We hadn't even dismounted. People have no idea. They think you'll remember the smell of GSR, the supersonic cracks, poo poo like that. I can't remember a loving thing about any of that poo poo, its a blur. What sticks with you though, what sticks with you 100 percent is what your comrades are saying, when they're hit, when they're fighting, when they're scared.

I'll never forget the words "What is wrong with you Abu Hajar!?!" being roared at me by my panicking comrades.

War is hell, kiddos.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Softface posted:

We were mounted up, people were coming out of their houses to wish us well. Man, we were scared, and we looked it. We thought we had been trained, but you can't train for the real thing. When we started moving out....man, its like we didn't even know how to use our equipment. Suddenly it felt that our uniforms were loose-fitting, our helmets falling over our eyes. Nerves, I guess.

Then it happened. Contact - front. We hadn't even dismounted. People have no idea. They think you'll remember the smell of GSR, the supersonic cracks, poo poo like that. I can't remember a loving thing about any of that poo poo, its a blur. What sticks with you though, what sticks with you 100 percent is what your comrades are saying, when they're hit, when they're fighting, when they're scared.

I'll never forget the words "What is wrong with you Abu Hajar!?!" being roared at me by my panicking comrades.

War is hell, kiddos.

oh my loving god

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Softface posted:

War is hell, kiddos.

they sent a poet

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Softface posted:

War is hell, kiddos.

:perfect:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Softface posted:

War is hell, kiddos.

gently caress

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Softface posted:

War is hell, kiddos.

You need to post in GiP more, is what I'm reading in to this

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Softface posted:

War is hell, kiddos.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:drat:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can someone link the abu hajaar video again

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Reverand maynard posted:

can someone link the abu hajaar video again

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=855_1461758667

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Here's the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf8ZlwLtSQM

That said the soundtrack on this one is pretty :lol::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMQwYYr-F2U

it took me a minute to recognize it but when I did I died laughing

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Softface posted:

War is hell, kiddos.

OP text

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Softface posted:

War is hell, kiddos.

good lord

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress YOU DAD

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

please let this be real oh please please please i need this to be real :pray:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

At this point there's less of a chance of it not being real.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

He's not wrong because his dad isn't having his clearly adult-aged son committed, which is a mark of high idiocy

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeris posted:

He's not wrong because his dad isn't having his clearly adult-aged son committed, which is a mark of high idiocy

Imagine the regret that man must feel everytime he passes a Planned Parenthood

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Booblord Zagats posted:

Imagine the regret that man must feel everytime he passes a Planned Parenthood

OMG :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI