Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

We're going to ban guns and we're going to ban trucks. Are they coming for chewing tobacco next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I think the unbolded part of number 4 is the scarier part.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Kemp I think is the last not completely vile choice.

When was the last time the VP wasn't exponentially more despicable than the president on a GOP ticket? Probably 1984...

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

If he were a moderate and competent Republican he presumably wouldn't have been doing so poorly in the Indiana governor race that he'd climb on the Trumpwagon.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

When was the last time the VP wasn't exponentially more despicable than the president on a GOP ticket? Probably 1984...

Was Dan Quayle a shithead?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Clinton needs to drive home the fact that Pence doesn't believe in climate change and other facts of science, as well as the anti-women and anti-gay stuff.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So who goes on the ballot in Indiana to take over as the reigning GOP shitlord there?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I mean, I guess that's true. But it would have to be like a couple miles away. poo poo would still have to overheat before the engine blew and it's not like it just comes to a complete stop at that point either. A .50 cal through the engine block kills the engine faster, but again, there's that whole momentum thing.

Exactly.

The most "reasonable" way to handle it would be/have been to implemented engine kill switches and precision GPS tracking on all trucks so the company could remotely turn it off, AND have someone be paying attention, sense something was wrong, and be willing to risk their job to hit that switch. And then hope momentum doesn't gently caress you.

So yeah, tl;dr you just about couldn't stop a speeding truck without hilariously overhauling the entire regulation of the trucking industry towards it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WampaLord posted:

He was just an unqualified lightweight.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Clinton needs to drive home the fact that Pence doesn't believe in climate change and other facts of science, as well as the anti-women and anti-gay stuff.

This is another Todd Aikin waiting to happen with this guy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

WampaLord posted:

Oh yeah.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

mcmagic posted:

He was just an unqualified lightweight.

He also had really terrible opinions, like "Even just showing single moms on TV shows is evil."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

WampaLord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXRNySMW4s

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sean10mm posted:

He also had really terrible opinions, like "Potato is spelled with an E"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pence has national unfavourables/favourables in the single digits (as in it's like 8%/6%) so defining him is going to be a big deal. If the Clinton campaign can get anything to stick, at least it'll help with turnout.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Dan Quayle going off on Murphy Brown. That's 90s as gently caress.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

misty mountaintop posted:

"Trump and Pence" is hard not to say in a British accent.

Fancy a Trumpence Squire?
I'm a cockney, I'm a cockney.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Lightning Knight posted:

Exactly.

The most "reasonable" way to handle it would be/have been to implemented engine kill switches and precision GPS tracking on all trucks so the company could remotely turn it off, AND have someone be paying attention, sense something was wrong, and be willing to risk their job to hit that switch. And then hope momentum doesn't gently caress you.
Facebook conversations in a year or two: are self-driving cars good because they don't allow just anyone to be a terrorist, or bad because if *hackers* *hack* and redirect a whole fleet...

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

mcmagic posted:

The GOP presidential strategy is basically a friendly face at the top, with an unelectable monster for the VP slot. Except now they've decided to go Monster/Less Obvious Monster.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

He also had really terrible opinions, like "Even just showing single moms on TV shows is evil."

LOL I forgot about that. This was the entire GOP though, not just time. He was just clearly a moron though too.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My conservative parents are coming to visit next week. We haven't talked about this election cycle except me making fun of his party like 4 months ago for having Trump as a frontrunner and him making fun of me for thinking that healthcare should be free.

Oh man.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Periodiko posted:

The GOP presidential strategy is basically a friendly face at the top, with an unelectable monster for the VP slot. Except now they've decided to go Monster/Less Obvious Monster.

Here's a riddle, it's a killer / Who the hell is William Miller?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The key takeaway here is the democrats still lost this election by a landslide

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It was way before my time, but wasn't Dan Quayle kind of slow?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Here's a good one:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/04/what-we-know-gov-mike-pences-position-gay-rights/78257192/

quote:

In 2000, his campaign website declared he wouldn't support federal funding to care for people living with HIV/AIDS unless money was cut to programs "that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus." He advocated instead for programs that would seek to change "sexual behavior."

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I haven't thought about him in years. Certainly since wikipedia became a thing. It done learned me something about Quayle.

quote:

Quayle was invited by Congressman Leo Ryan of California to accompany him on a delegation to investigate conditions at the Jonestown settlement in Guyana, but Quayle, as it happened, was unable to participate. Ryan was subsequently murdered in events leading up to the Jonestown massacre.

and the least suprising where are they now?

quote:

Quayle currently is the chairman of global investments at Cerberus Capital Management.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Antti posted:

If he were a moderate and competent Republican he presumably wouldn't have been doing so poorly in the Indiana governor race that he'd climb on the Trumpwagon.

I was just going to ask about this. Was Pence in trouble in Indiana? It seems like he's a perfect fit for Indiana (sorry goon Hoosiers). That being said I'm from NC and things aren't looking so hot for our current Governor who is basically the same kind of awful.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mcmagic posted:

This is another Todd Aikin waiting to happen with this guy.

Pence had a radio show in the early 1990s. Archives are currently "unavailable."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crows Turn Off posted:

Another nice thing she could bring up in the "anti-science" angle is the fact that he said "smoking doesn't kill" and he's been extremely pro-tobacco industry his whole political career.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I know about Dan Quayle is that at some point he apparently said 'The future will be better tomorrow.' I know this because this quote appeared in (I believe) Civilization 2. Also the worst end-game rank you could get in that game was Dan Quayle.

So at least MicroProse didn't think much of him.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I was just going to ask about this. Was Pence in trouble in Indiana? It seems like he's a perfect fit for Indiana (sorry goon Hoosiers). That being said I'm from NC and things aren't looking so hot for our current Governor who is basically the same kind of awful.

Pence is despised in Indiana by both liberals and conservatives, though I don't know why as he's a conservative's wet dream. It was looking very shaky for him against John Gregg.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was way before my time, but wasn't Dan Quayle kind of slow?

That's an understatement. He was the national icon of just being dumb as gently caress for years.

And I don't mean that in a "I hate his politics so he's dumb" way. He was just fundamentally stupid in a basic "How the gently caress do you even function in day-to-day life, rear end in a top hat?" way.

The answer was "rich parents" of course.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Mike Pence, Dec 8 2015 posted:

Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional.

Mike Pence, July 15 2016 posted:

Yeah sure, I'll be your VP. I have no balls.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The only thing I know about Dan Quayle is that at some point he apparently said 'The future will be better tomorrow.' I know this because this quote appeared in (I believe) Civilization 2. Also the worst end-game rank you could get in that game was Dan Quayle.

So at least MicroProse didn't think much of him.

"This President is going to lead us out of this recovery. "

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's going to be fun watching the Mike Pence Opinion Reversal Media Tour the next two weeks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Man this is the time for Fried Chicken to be around. He could have given us all the dirt.

Mike Pence is the least terrible choice put of the three for Trump. newt had so much baggage and Christie might be going to jail still.

Mike pence is also the worst choice through opinions and his work.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

It's going to be fun watching the Mike Pence Opinion Reversal Media Tour the next two weeks.

He won't have too.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Indiana is weird-it's a Republican state, but Republicans are split between business-friendly types, social conservatives, and tea partiers. Pence, coming in, was thought to be a second coming of Mitch Daniels-more of a business friendly technocratic Republican. Pence proceeded to run the state like a right wing ideologue and has slighted & embarrassed the more moderate elements of his party. He then proceeded to piss off the social conservatives by failing miserably to defend the RFRA bill he signed and then asking for it to be made a nullity. He then proceeded just about everybody by expanding Medicaid, but making it much less efficient so he could claim he didn't expand Obamacare. There's a reason his race was a tossup.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"This President is going to lead us out of this recovery. "

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

To be fair, malapropisms like that don't make you stupid, they just mean you are bad at public speaking.

Qualye however was also genuinely dumb.

Side note, Quayle supports Trump because of course he would.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/12/ex-vp-dan-quayle-trumps-a-winner-who-knows-how-to-win.html

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

Man this is the time for Fried Chicken to be around. He could have given us all the dirt.

Mike Pence is the least terrible choice put of the three for Trump. newt had so much baggage and Christie might be going to jail still.

Mike pence is also the worst choice through opinions and his work.

Seriously, where is Fried Chicken?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/753979619267731456

I'm starting to think that Trumpers have an unlimited tolerance for being useful idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like not enough is being done to point out that Pence's crusade against needle exchange program caused an HIV epidemic of unheard of proportions that has literally condemned people to death.

Or are drug users not acceptable victims to point to?

• Locked thread