Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cellar Raid July 2016. Crooked Stave Vielle with Cranberry and Spice, "holiday 2014" vintage.

I got this a little under a year ago on a trip to Boulder and Denver, and in a bit of buying frenzy I picked up an unhealthy number of bottles at Crooked Stave. Vielle is probably my favourite beer they make, though I haven't had a whole ton beyond the shelfies and what I had on the trip.

The nose is mostly standard Vielle, maybe a bit of cranberry in there too. Nothing spectacular there. The taste is basically a tarter Vielle with some mild cranberry sprinkled in there. Not really any spices evident, though it could be just because they were a subtle inclusion or they've aged out of the beer. Regardless, the fact that this tastes like a slightly fruitier and tarter Vielle is not at all a bad thing though I think I prefer the OG version. 3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Only thing you can make with biscotti break is a better purchasing decision

I used to agree, but its a solid beer and not a terrible deal now that you can get a four pack of 16oz cans for $12-14. The Pappy aged version is really loving good, wish it had actually hit distro.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i haven't bought beer for myself in weeks, so i've been cellar raiding a lot lately. last night was a 2015 bottle of Brothers' Drunken Morning, which tasted like i remember KBS the first time i had it- a big beer, but nicely balanced between coffee, chocolate and roast, and boozy barrel presence. too thin, as their stouts tend to be, but far better than Resolute in my opinion.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Cellar raid was a 2014 Zhukov. Definitely better fresher. The 2015 I had earlier this year tasted much better, less soy saucey.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Apache posted:

Cellar raid was a 2014 Zhukov. Definitely better fresher. The 2015 I had earlier this year tasted much better, less soy saucey.

Yeah, don't age zhukov. So much better within 6 months.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Our beers are poo poo after like 6 months

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

"XxGirlKisserxX" posted:

There is absolutely no need to show up early

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

lol. now get a bunch from Kosher man, Bo Pepper, and... aw, the Chicago guy who had the corgi riding a rainbow avatar... oh, ShaneB!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Still completely correct. BTW I wish Invasion was more common around here because that beer's so much better than jai alai.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I didn't really feel like a cellar raid beer last night, so I tried the new Kiwami plum sour from Fuggles & Warlock.

Beautiful pink color, nicely tart and refreshing, but pretty one-dimensional, and had an absolutely ridiculous amount of sediment. Their other limited sours were a lot better.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
GGA was way better with age as was Forgotten Island.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I was in a similar boat so I had Bottle Logic's Berlinear Equation (Stone Fruit). It was quite pleasant on a hot day, and served the purpose of being a fruity berliner quite nicely.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I worked a double so I went to the local and got Apple Brandy El Lechedor.

I worked another double today and it was still on tap so I got another.

Tomorrow I will not get yet another since Im going to CT. Probably just stopping by nebco since it's in the vicinity of my destination and OEC is closed fridays.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shabadu posted:

I worked a double so I went to the local and got Apple Brandy El Lechedor.

I worked another double today and it was still on tap so I got another.

Tomorrow I will not get yet another since Im going to CT. Probably just stopping by nebco since it's in the vicinity of my destination and OEC is closed fridays.

Check NEBCO's Facebook first, their tap lines were busted yesterday so they couldn't do growler fills.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Goose Island announces more BCBS infected. Refunds on prop and regular.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160715/BLOGS09/160719858/goose-island-recalls-two-more-stouts?utm&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

At this point, Rare has to be infected right?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Any Michigoons need a ticket for the Saturday session of the Michigan Beer Fest in Ypsi? Looks like I am only going on Friday this year and I have tix for both days. lmk

Paul Proteus posted:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160715/BLOGS09/160719858/goose-island-recalls-two-more-stouts?utm&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Well, poo poo. Guess I better finish up those bottles in my basement.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Paul Proteus posted:

Only specific BCBS bottling dates are eligible for the refund. Given that it's not a full recall, I'd assume that they've tested all batches (including Rare) and are only recalling those that tested positive for the infection. So no evidence of bad Rare yet.

That said... that could all change tomorrow if they detect more.

I've had bottles recently from some of the recalled batches that tasted perfectly fine to me.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

any of you California goons gonna try to buy tickets to the RateBeer festival? tickets go on sale at noon today, and I'm definitely trying to get a couple; this past year's lineup was pretty drat great for a West Coast fest.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Paul Proteus posted:

Assholes. When the first reports started coming out about infected regular months ago and people were bugging them on their facebook about it, they eventually started telling people to drink their BCBS sooner than later while they figure things out. Now they're requiring labels of beers that have possibly already been consumed and discarded?

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer
Doing a flight of BCBS, Parabola, and 15 and 16 Stickee Monkey at a local beer bars anniversary party. Good times.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Fat Lou posted:

Agreed. Also, Willy Vanilly is seriously horrible.

I don't understand how this beer keeps failing up.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

any of you California goons gonna try to buy tickets to the RateBeer festival? tickets go on sale at noon today, and I'm definitely trying to get a couple; this past year's lineup was pretty drat great for a West Coast fest.

I thought hard about going this last year. Surprised tickets are up already with the fest so far out. In more current news, I *AM* going to the California Craft Beer Summit.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Oh drat my bottle is one of those dates. Not really motivated enough to fill out a form and mail it though

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I opened one of my two remaining bottles of '15 BCBS a while back and tasted no signs of infection. Put my last bottle in the fridge to be safe, though.

Side Project's second batch of Marietta Ave. is excellent, if anyone was curious. Very similar to Fantome Saison but dry-hopped with Simcoe and something else that I don't remember. Try it if you get the chance.

Also got a couple cans of Trillium Mosaic Dry Hopped Fort Point Pale Ale (MDHFPPA). Their canning line seems pretty perfect already; this is exactly as good as the bottles of this that I've had previously. I have no idea what took them so long to move to canning, but it's of course working super well. Excited to try the Omnipollo collab imperial stout with coffee and green cardamom that I have coming in tomorrow, as well as the cans of Sleeper Street.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

we made a Berliner and we got King of Pops- a dope popsicle maker a few blocks away- to make syrups for us. doubly pumped as it was completely my idea and tastes really loving good. also gave them some ginger that i had ZZQ- who will be serving today- smoke, so maybe they'll have a smoked ginger pop at some point in the near future! #facilitatingconnectivity

VVV - the ones we chose were tangerine basil, raspberry lime, and watermelon mojito. yesterday they brought raspberry lime and blackberry orange vanilla- the latter of which i actually preferred- and will be making more as needed. our ratio is one pump of syrup- half an ounce- in a twelve ounce pour. a full ounce of syrup and it's basically an alco-pop. oh, yeah- we're gonna get them to make Berliner popsicles, too!

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 16, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

What were the syrup flavors? Sounds rad!

All I've ever tried was this stuff:
http://www.germandeli.com/Gbber-Waldmeister-Sirup-500ml-Woodruff-Syrup-17-6fl-oz

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Podima posted:

Check NEBCO's Facebook first, their tap lines were busted yesterday so they couldn't do growler fills.

There were no cans for sale, so I walked in at 6 or so, filled 2 growlers in 2 minutes, had a taste of coriolis and walked out pretty happy. Also holy poo poo that tap room is tiny for the size of brewery they are.

G-bot is just as delicious as I remember from their brief foray into MA distribution.

In other NE news, oh my god Deciduous Auranja is off the chain. Their hoppy beers have been somewhat of a miss for me, but all their sours and darker beers are phenomenal.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 17, 2016

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shabadu posted:

There were no cans for sale, so I walked in at 6 or so, filled 2 growlers in 2 minutes, had a taste of coriolis and walked out pretty happy. Also holy poo poo that tap room is tiny for the size of brewery they are.

G-bot is just as delicious as I remember from their brief foray into MA distribution.

Yeah they're only just starting to release special cans from the brewery - but the liquor store right down the street always has their normal releases in cans available. Glad you got G-Bot though!

Also if you think that tasting room is small NOW, it was even smaller (only ONE set of taps for both tastes and growlers) before they renovated - and let's not even talk about their original location across the street...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Just drank five Tangerine of my Ryes by Oddside Ales this afternoon. These dudes are consistently making tons of excellent beers and they deserve all of the recognition that they can get.

E: Typo in beer name.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 18, 2016

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
http://tenemu.com/news/goose-island-2016-bourbon-county-brand-proprietors-barleywine-stout-details-emerge/07/2016

So they basically replaced the pecans in Prop 16 with chocolate. Yeah, that'll fix the overpowering sweetness! Also, now people who aren't in Chicago can enjoy that garbage!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

http://tenemu.com/news/goose-island-2016-bourbon-county-brand-proprietors-barleywine-stout-details-emerge/07/2016

So they basically replaced the pecans in Prop 16 with chocolate. Yeah, that'll fix the overpowering sweetness! Also, now people who aren't in Chicago can enjoy that garbage!

Who cares, it's all about that Scotch Whiskey Prop.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Aw yeah

https://twitter.com/jesterkingbeer/status/755045491394490368

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Is that regular or sherry barrel? Either way they're #2 and #1 beers of all time in my experience.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

Can we just save these label shots now so we can return the infected bottles?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hey guys there's this beer called Allagash Coolship Red that is half as easy to get. It's pretty tasty and traditional and all that stuff.

MunchE posted:

Can we just save these label shots now so we can return the infected bottles?

I know it's easy to hate on AB-InBev, but chances are they won't have infection issues again - I can't imagine how much money they'll spend ensuring it won't happen again.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I know it's easy to hate on AB-InBev, but chances are they won't have infection issues again - I can't imagine how much money they'll spend ensuring it won't happen again.

quoting this for posterity

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Drank a couple of Olde Hickory's latest limited release over the weekend, Wavell Gunn and Dread God.

Wavell Gunn is a Scotch Ale aged in Scotch Whisky barrels. I was hyped for this beer because their previous BA scotch ale, Seven Devils, was fantastic. WG fell short - it's a good scotch ale but the barrel just got completely lost in the sweetness.

Dread God is their imperial stout aged in Scotch Whisky barrels and turned out excellently. Their imperial stout with honey is always extremely smooth, with big roasty notes balanced by some residual sweetness from the honey. I'm always surprised at how much honey flavor manages to come through. In the stout's case, the barrel adds a nice caramel undertone and a peaty finish. It was extremely (too) easy to dome this at 10% and it left me wanting more - it may have surpassed Event Horizon as my favorite OH beer.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Had a seven month old oskar blues ipa and it was better for it

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Had a seven month old oskar blues ipa and it was better for it

So the onion flavor ages out?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone tried SARA Another Alliteration or Southern Sunrise? Got hit up with an IP trade offer to do at Jester King this weekend, but I'm more leaning towards the latter beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Apache is a good dude who sends good locals when FedEx completely massacres boxes. To end a short mini-vacation this weekend, I just cracked a Brew Hub Umatilla Coffee Barleywine. The cherries are subtle and enhance the fruitiness of the barleywine base. And there's a fuckton of vanilla that leads to a green pepper taste. So I guess that's the coffee, which is otherwise not terribly present. And then a ton of heat... So I looked at the bottle again and there's a stamp on this that says "barrel aged" and it has wax and the internet is telling me that this might be aged in Wild Turkey 101 barrels. And yeah, that's something that is definitely here. Apache, is this a BA'd version of this beer or was it all done so?

Would be seriously killer if not for the green pepper thing. Really like how the cherries work with it without being overpowering.