Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Grats to everyone riding the swings today must be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Made a cool $250 on this one; straight bet, no flips. https://www.predictit.org/Contract/...tion#openoffers

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Come on you fucker

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
You ready to lose $100, friend?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Come on you fucker

:rip:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Second time I've taken a bath thanks to Trump :argh:

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Mike Pence officially announced as VP nominee. As of this moment there are still 98c shares available. Mike Pence GOP VP.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

platzapS posted:

Mike Pence officially announced as VP nominee. As of this moment there are still 98c shares available. Mike Pence GOP VP.

Yeah it'll stay at .98 for a while, due to expiration at the end of the convention. What's your point?

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah it'll stay at .98 for a while, due to expiration at the end of the convention. What's your point?

Some people like guaranteed small gains!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
It's not guaranteed, if the convention implodes and Trump doesn't get the POTUS nom, Pence doesn't get VPOTUS. Guess I'm being pedantic, though. But that's the reason why it's not at .99.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Michael Scott posted:

It's not guaranteed, if the convention implodes and Trump doesn't get the POTUS nom, Pence doesn't get VPOTUS. Guess I'm being pedantic, though. But that's the reason why it's not at .99.

He has to get the Potus nom now, the rules committee wasn't able to do poo poo to stop him. Only chance Pence is not the VPOTUS nom is if he dies.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Second time I've taken a bath thanks to Trump :argh:

https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/754007849022480384

:v:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, I thought $.06 was way underpriced for Trump being Trump

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

platzapS posted:

Easiest money I ever made on this site. (Biden.NO was excruciating even if I did win in the end :argh:)

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah, I thought $.06 was way underpriced for Trump being Trump

https://twitter.com/howardfineman/status/753970875242774528

:v: :v:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Trump: Ban Muslims, deport Mexicans
Newt: Deport Muslims?
Trump: :getout:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Fuschia tude posted:

Easiest money I ever made on this site. (Biden.NO was excruciating even if I did win in the end :argh:)

It wasn't easy unless you have a very high risk tolerance IMHO. Trump himself was wavering on the decision as late as 11:59 on Thursday evening according to multiple sources.

How much $ did you take home?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Michael Scott posted:

How much $ did you take home?

Stop asking people this

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol nothing matters

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given the reports of Trump already trying to get out of the Pence pick, general rules of volatility regarding Trump, and the desire to gently caress over Trump by a not insignificant portion of the RNC delegates, a couple bucks worth of Pence NO shares probably is a pretty defensible lotto ticket.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Necc0 posted:

Stop asking people this

Sorry, I didn't mean to be annoying. It's fun to discuss what people bought and sold PredictIt shares for in the PredictIt thread.

Michael Scott has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Jul 16, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Necc0 posted:

Stop asking people this

yeah, i think it's pretty clear that we are taking home all the money. all of us. all of the money

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

OAquinas posted:

Johnson 8% NO for 7/31 is at 66 at the moment. Unless he gets another pair of 10s during the RNC and DNC this market is done.

heh. just posted 13%, average now 8.1%. I picked up some NOs at 30c, but this is a tough bet now

I think the conventions will help trump/hillary and drown out johnson, but wow people just really hate those two

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

thethreeman posted:

heh. just posted 13%, average now 8.1%. I picked up some NOs at 30c, but this is a tough bet now

I think the conventions will help trump/hillary and drown out johnson, but wow people just really hate those two

...We really need a "never bet on polls" smilie.

It's still doable, but yeah, a lot tougher now.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Mike Pence GOP VP YES is down to 97 cents and the market closes at the end of the RNC, if anybody wants a guaranteed 3 cents.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

pathetic little tramp posted:

Mike Pence GOP VP YES is down to 97 cents and the market closes at the end of the RNC, if anybody wants a guaranteed 3 cents.
Holding onto my Newt shares in case Trump has a last minute change of mind!

:smith:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bought some Pence at 96c, why not.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Holding onto my Newt shares in case Trump has a last minute change of mind!

:smith:

It is a shame since he evidently nearly had a change of heart.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Will Trump address the 2016 Republican National Convention on multiple days?

predictit is really bad at making non-ambiguous market rules imo :psyduck:

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
the image in those comments, lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pence trading at 94c. :getin:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ted Cruz YES is at 2 cents, hahahaha.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Haha lost $14 by buying $500 worth of "Will Donald Trump speak twice?" and PredictIt saying that his opening there didn't count.

edit: apparently I got played by comments drat

EngineerSean has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Jul 19, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

EngineerSean posted:

Haha lost $14 by buying $500 worth of "Will Donald Trump speak twice?" and PredictIt saying that his opening there didn't count.

edit: apparently I got played by comments drat

That moment was hilarious. It was gradually climbing at 93, 94, 95... then he walks up onto stage, says a few words, the price shoots up to 98 then down to 70 within a minute, and now is back up to 92. I have no idea how PredictIt is going to rule on this, since their wording is ambiguous as hell, but it's drat good supplementary entertainment to this convention.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how on earth is that not an address? and they acknowledged it is pre-planned in the third clarification

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

one of my favorite things about predictit is when markets have those weirdly ambiguous rules. it seems like they try and word it to sound as if it's very legal and official, but if you try and unpack the sentences logically the only conclusion a person can come to is that they have no loving idea what they're doing

i'm honestly curious about what kind of legitimate academic research can be derived from their behavior in these instances. i have two guesses. one is that they throw out the markets once they realize they didn't specify WTF was going on. the other is that the research they are doing doesn't actually concern the markets at all really. like for example if they are studying the effects of how a prediction market shifting in a certain mathematically-defined way affects the people looking at it, for example depending on their holdings, the thing is that the rules (and clarifications to them) might not actually matter depending on how their hypotheses and methods are defined. i'm not a social scientist but to me it doesn't seem outright unreasonable to model a rules clarification post any different than a development in the news cycle

i really do want to read the papers they publish using PI as the source though :allears:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

They just acknowledged that it counts.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I bought at 93 and sold at 90 so I'm not gonna cry about it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I bought at 90 and am selling at 99, but that's about a dollar total profit because I'm a Small Fry playing meaningless games.

Ditocoaf has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Been a long road, all. Cheers to whoever made money off this madness and will continue to do so.

• Locked thread