Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bast Relief posted:

So what's everyone's opinion on th RBG "gaffe"? I feel like, again, the left is devouring it's own again by joining in the critique.

was dumb to do as it was to no gain, however she should not have apologized cause no one on the right would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Shbobdb posted:

As Dan Savage (PBUH) righteously said,
Let me just stop you right there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bast Relief posted:

So what's everyone's opinion on th RBG "gaffe"? I feel like, again, the left is devouring it's own again by joining in the critique.

She's earned the right to say what she wants but it probably wasn't smart. If this election gets contested that's one less judge because she'd likely need to recuse herself. I don't know what she was attempting to gain or what the upside was to her comments. She was probably just talking about Trump like everyone else does.

Having said that, the pearl clutching by the right over issue is hilarious considering that the conservative wing of the bench once threw a hissy fit during a SOTU address.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bast Relief posted:

I watched a documentary once about self loathing, probably gay, politicians and the men who loved (banged) them. It was really interesting on one hand. A lot of these guys had especially harsh voting records on gay issues compared to other conservatives. On the other hand, it felt a little dirty that some of these lovers were outing the politicians. But back to the other hand again, these guys were pretty terrible. But then again...

Anyway, poking at someone's way of talking to out them is middle school level stupid.

Oh gently caress that. Any dirtbag that votes against the rights of LGBT issues deserves to be dragged out of the closet kicking and screaming. Scummy pieces of poo poo, don't feel sorry for them.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bast Relief posted:

I don't have any problem with what she said"

quote:

"He is a faker," she told CNN, going point by point, as if presenting a legal brief. "He has no consistency about him. He says whatever comes into his head at the moment. He really has an ego. ... How has he gotten away with not turning over his tax returns? The press seems to be very gentle with him on that."

I've literally been saying this since he announced.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DrNutt posted:

Oh gently caress that. Any dirtbag that votes against the rights of LGBT issues deserves to be dragged out of the closet kicking and screaming. Scummy pieces of poo poo, don't feel sorry for them.

You're literally endorsing the use of intimidation tactics against your political oponents.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Keeshhound posted:

You're literally endorsing the use of intimidation tactics against your political oponents.

Consider the possibility that one possible reason dandy legislators vote harder against lgbt issues is that they have to fend of unwanted advances from men who think they are gay.

As a man they would have no preparation or support group for this.

In this scenario encouraging speculation that they are gay would encourage more people to make advances which would anger/scare them even more.

Also, there are plenty of "sissy" men out there who are straight as arrows. The normal range of human behavior for both sexes covers both gender stereotypes. The variance within a sex is far greater than the differences between the sexes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

BiggerBoat posted:

She's earned the right to say what she wants but it probably wasn't smart. If this election gets contested that's one less judge because she'd likely need to recuse herself. I don't know what she was attempting to gain or what the upside was to her comments. She was probably just talking about Trump like everyone else does.

Having said that, the pearl clutching by the right over issue is hilarious considering that the conservative wing of the bench once threw a hissy fit during a SOTU address.

Yeah, I can get behind this. The courts are supposed to be apolitical, but everyone knows that's always been more of an aspiration than a reality.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bast Relief posted:

I watched a documentary once about self loathing, probably gay, politicians and the men who loved (banged) them. It was really interesting on one hand. A lot of these guys had especially harsh voting records on gay issues compared to other conservatives. On the other hand, it felt a little dirty that some of these lovers were outing the politicians. But back to the other hand again, these guys were pretty terrible. But then again...

Anyway, poking at someone's way of talking to out them is middle school level stupid.

They outed those fucks because they rightly perceived that their lovers were committing crimes against humanity and they had the unique means of stopping it. I don't see how you can be ambivalent about that.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Jack Gladney posted:

They outed those fucks because they rightly perceived that their lovers were committing crimes against humanity and they had the unique means of stopping it. I don't see how you can be ambivalent about that.

You're right.

I seem to recall one guy being a little shifty himself and could have been blackmailing those he slept with. But whatevs. I'm not going to cry for these assholes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yup!

https://twitter.com/benhowe/status/753981214466465793

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Pretty much this. Doesn't matter what they're sexuality is, they're on the wrong side of this issue and history will remember them as bigots.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
RBG should have apologized for not being politically correct enough for Trump's delicate feelings.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

What's wrong with pointing out that a swishy guy is gay? As Dan Savage (PBUH) righteously said, "Not all gay men are sissies, but sissy men are overwhelmingly gay." It's part of a longstanding tradition of signaling your sexual interest/intent while also maintaining plausible deniability in places where being gay isn't safe. Like the tearoom trade it's becoming less common (certainly less necessary) with the rise of gay rights. But so what?

Dan Savage is pretty out of touch when it comes to modern gay culture and especially anything that has to do with millenials on. He's very mentally stuck in the 80s-90s mindset of homosexuality still being kind of a fringe group he's part of and it seems like the mainstreaming of it is a bit of an attack on his identity. He's a good guy overall but I'm a gay dude and have found some of his articles pretty cringeworthy.

Suffice to say no, really flamboyant men are not more likely to be gay in this day and age. They're definitely the minority of gay men even, from my own subjective viewpoint. It's a stereotype that deserves to die

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why do I feel really creepy after opening that?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wow this looks bad

https://twitter.com/nytnickc/status/753980759166164992

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't think we should be taking cheap shots at someone because they're voice sounds like a stereotype, even if it turns out these shitheels are gay themselves.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Star Man posted:

I don't think we should be taking cheap shots at someone because they're voice sounds like a stereotype, even if it turns out these shitheels are gay themselves.

What about Trey Gowdy's narrow beady eyed face and southern drawl making him look in an inbred redneck?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Goatman Sacks posted:

What about Trey Gowdy's narrow beady eyed face and southern drawl making him look in an inbred redneck?

Well, if you only knew my name and where I was from, you'd probably assume the same of me. So, no.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

"Sound the Trump-Pence!"

Also, dang, the "TP" jokes are gonna write themselves.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

Pretty much this. Doesn't matter what they're sexuality is, they're on the wrong side of this issue and history will remember them as bigots.

But where does that end? At what point does someone's opinions become so bad that they need to be punished for them? And whose values are we comparing them to? Why is it OK to punish people for not being progressive enough, but when far right assholes want to punish liberals it's wrong?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Keeshhound posted:

But where does that end? At what point does someone's opinions become so bad that they need to be punished for them? And whose values are we comparing them to? Why is it OK to punish people for not being progressive enough, but when far right assholes want to punish liberals it's wrong?
You shouldn't be punished for having lovely opinions, but these people are a lot more than mere lovely opinion-havers.

Keeshhound posted:

These people endorse and implement policies that directly result in suffering and death. "By any means necessary" applies here.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Dan Savage is an rear end in a top hat whose relevance to LGBT discourse has, mercifully, been gone for the last six years. Don't use a gay bully's opinion to back up bullying tactics.

This logo looks extremely gay though!!!!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Keeshhound posted:

A bloo bloo bloo disgusting hypocrites are getting outed as being disgusting hypocrites. Anything to hasten the demise of lovely family values moralizing politics is fine by me.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

"Sound the Trump-Pence!"

Also, dang, the "TP" jokes are gonna write themselves.

Here, I'll start: Trump-Pence, a campaign fit to wipe your rear end with!

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
after being given a time machine which will allow him to go back and murder hitler in his crib: "well I wouldn't want to intimidate my political opponents" - Keeshhound

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Keeshhound posted:

I mean, if calling people swishes worked to achieve anything then sure, that would be one thing, but I don't think it does, and I just don't get where "oh he talks like he's super gay" comes from as... anything, really.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrNutt posted:

A bloo bloo bloo disgusting hypocrites are getting outed as being disgusting hypocrites. Anything to hasten the demise of lovely family values moralizing politics is fine by me.

Unless they're not actually gay, then you're just getting people really mad at you for the way they talk (like physically talk, not their words).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Chantilly Say posted:

I mean, if calling people swishes worked to achieve anything then sure, that would be one thing, but I don't think it does, and I just don't get where "oh he talks like he's super gay" comes from as... anything, really.

You guys are confusing two different arguments here. I sure as poo poo am not going to call someone gay based on how they talk because that's stupid and childish. However, if you are a loving hypocrite who champions discriminatory legislation and then go home and get hosed in the rear end on the reg, then you deserve to have your scummy hypocrisy exposed. No one should get called out for talking with their hands and lisping though, that's lovely stereotyping.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Kilroy posted:

after being given a time machine which will allow him to go back and murder hitler in his crib: "well I wouldn't want to intimidate my political opponents" - Keeshhound

The people who killed civil rights workers for helping register blacks to vote were pretty sure they were doing the right thing, too.

If you can't justify this poo poo any other way than "well, thwy're wrong, so it's ok," you don't have a strong position.

Lay it out for me like you would a five year old. Explain to me why it's objectively ok to publish knowledge entrusted to you in confidence when the entrusted is lovely enough.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Not sure I follow you here.

I get that there's a certain amount of perverse glee I experience when someone like Ted Haggart gets outed or some fire and brimstone televangelist gets caught with a hooker, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say about a "line" and the double standard you're painting about "punishment".

Mr Jaunts posted:

Here, I'll start: Trump-Pence, a campaign fit to wipe your rear end with!

Just superimpose/print the "TP" logo on actual toilet paper squares. I expect a meme by tomorrow morning.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DrNutt posted:

However, if you are a loving hypocrite who champions discriminatory legislation and then go home and get hosed in the rear end on the reg, then you deserve to have your scummy hypocrisy exposed.

Ignoring the ethical issues for a moment, all that's going to do is tell gay people you think it's ok for them to be outed without their consent if they do the wrong thing.

And you'll also just wind up with a bunch of straight homophobic legislators, anyway. You're not actually changing anything by outing them, you're just trying to justify getting to feel vindictive over actually acomplishing anything constructive.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure I follow you here.

I get that there's a certain amount of perverse glee I experience when someone like Ted Haggart gets outed or some fire and brimstone televangelist gets caught with a hooker, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say about a "line" and the double standard you're painting about "punishment".

Let me walk back from that a second;

Can we all agree that in almost all cases, outing someone without their consent is a really lovely thing to do?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Keeshhound posted:

Ignoring the ethical issues for a moment, all that's going to do is tell gay people you think it's ok for them to be outed without their consent if they do the wrong thing.

And you'll also just wind up with a bunch of straight homophobic legislators, anyway. You're not actually changing anything by outing them, you're just trying to justify getting to feel vindictive over actually acomplishing anything constructive.

You make "the wrong thing" sound so innocuous but we are talking about legislation that treats people as sub human. In this case no, the truth is not in the middle and there is no compromise to be made, only bigots to be shouted down indefinitely until their gross politics are no longer taken seriously in public discourse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Unless they're not actually gay, then you're just getting people really mad at you for the way they talk (like physically talk, not their words).

Well, that's what started the whole thing. Someone implied that Tebow was a repressed homosexual who set off their "gaydar" and it spiraled form there. In his case, I think it's weird to address his sexuality at all since, by all accounts, he doesn't even have any.

I don't have strong feelings about Tim Tebow either way beyond being sick of hearing about him (living in NE Florida hasn't helped), and I don't understand what makes him uniquely qualified to speak at a GOP convention at all, but the guy does deem to catch an inordinate and undeserved level of poo poo for nothing more than being an open christian and a lovely NFL quarterback.

I'm not even sure why he's famous. The world is full of pontificating christians, college stars and NFL washouts but I don't see Danny Weurfell, Tim Couch or Cade McKnown being given this sort of public platform.

Keeshhound posted:

Let me walk back from that a second;

Can we all agree that in almost all cases, outing someone without their consent is a really lovely thing to do?

Of course. But if it were someone like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, the stakes are raised because they've spent their lives making GBS threads on gays.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, that's what started the whole thing. Someone implied that Tebow was a repressed homosexual who set off their "gaydar" and it spiraled form there. In his case, I think it's weird to address his sexuality at all since, by all accounts, he doesn't even have any.

I don't have strong feelings about Tim Tebow either way beyond being sick of hearing about him (living in NE Florida hasn't helped), and I don't understand what makes him uniquely qualified to speak at a GOP convention at all, but the guy does deem to catch an inordinate and undeserved level of poo poo for nothing more than being an open christian and a lovely NFL quarterback.

I'm not even sure why he's famous. The world is full of pontificating christians, college stars and NFL washouts but I don't see Danny Weurfell, Tim Couch or Cade McKnown being given this sort of public platform.

He knelt and prayed a lot on the football field. He is a Hero.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I have absolutely no problem with her saying it but it's not like it really did anything productive. She was probably as frustrated as a lot of us that the press in general is handling Trump with the softest gloves possible and he still manages to say horrible stuff that gets a fraction of the condemnation it should. However apologizing for it was absurd since there's no point. She will get no credit from the people flipping out that were happy when Scalia was making his politics known to everyone or the people concerned with making sure we pretend that she isn't obviously personally opposed to one of the candidates. All it did was make it look like she gave in to the dude that insulted her both personally and professionally and called her ability to do her job directly into question while making vague threats to a sitting Justice. That seems a lot more problematic than pulling back the invisible curtain that is protecting us from bias.

If we are REALLY so concerned with a potential Trump vs Clinton ruling we should make all of their voting public to see bias. Just because Ginsberg said she isn't voting for Trump doesn't mean that the rest of them are totally neutral. Bias doesn't just go away if we pretend that it doesn't exist.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 15, 2016

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I don't care about how the homophobic legislators or how Tebow feels about being called gay. What I do care about is that you're calling someone worse for being gay. Even if it's because of them being hypocritical, that's not how it reads. This kind of rhetoric actively hurts LGBT people. I can speak from experience.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Too much talk about Tebow and not enough about this logo. Just look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't he a spokesman at some point for the Family Research Council? If so, gently caress him.