Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

computer parts posted:

The only issue is that the home release is very dark.

You guys need to calibrate your tvs, the image quality is reference level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

PunkBoy posted:

Oh man, for a second I thought I saw 4-LOM, but it's a different design. That would have been a heck of a random carry-over from the old EU.
He's originally from ESB anyway.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

hhhat posted:

Will do. Will report back with my important feelings on the production, and on what I had for dinner tonight.

Also. Come on Diz we need a trailer today.

Edit: trailer actually makes this movie look pretty drat disastery and intense. Would you guys think a 9 year old can handle it or is this one I'm watching on my own?

Bad parent alert!

My five year old is obsessed with all things Godzilla. His first exposure was the old movies, so when the new one came out, he was crazy about it. He's seen it on Blu-ray and he loves it. If anything, he prefers to watch just the monster scenes. Most of the shots of Godzilla are set up to put the viewer in awe as opposed to being scary. There's a couple of human deaths in the first third that could be upsetting depending on how much he understands about death. Honestly, unless your nine year old is especially sensitive, he should be fine.

By the way, mine loves the trailer for the new one. He's watched it dozens of times on his iPad. And if they aren't going to do a theatrical release in the U.S. it seems to me that it would be an ideal PPV.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Anybody who doesn't like Godzilla '14 is no friend of mine.
Also I was an extra in Godzilla '98 and I attended the premiere in Madison Square Garden, it's my Hollywood legacy. You're welcome.

hhhat posted:

Edit: trailer actually makes this movie look pretty drat disastery and intense. Would you guys think a 9 year old can handle it or is this one I'm watching on my own?

Reminds me of Hunger Games type oscillation between gee whiz sci fi and people getting blown up, would you take the kid to see HG?

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Bad parent alert!

My five year old is obsessed with all things Godzilla. His first exposure was the old movies, so when the new one came out, he was crazy about it. He's seen it on Blu-ray and he loves it. If anything, he prefers to watch just the monster scenes. Most of the shots of Godzilla are set up put the viewer in awe as opposed to being scary. There's a couple of human deaths in the first third that could be upsetting depending on how much he understands about death. Honestly, unless your nine year old is especially sensitive, he should be fine.

By the way, mine loves the trailer for the new one. He's watched it dozens of times on his iPad. It seems to me that it would be an ideal PPV in the U.S.

Awesome. Sounds like we've got a fun movie to watch tonight.

turtlecrunch posted:

Anybody who doesn't like Godzilla '14 is no friend of mine.
Also I was an extra in Godzilla '98 and I attended the premiere in Madison Square Garden, it's my Hollywood legacy. You're welcome.
Reminds me of Hunger Games type oscillation between gee whiz sci fi and people getting blown up, would you take the kid to see HG?

Yeah we watched that together, the only difference was in the trailer there's clearly some 70's style destruction going on (which has me psyched). He'll probably love it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I think Godzilla 2014 is terrific. I see things that could be better, but I think it's a very interesting and good take on a very old and established franchise.

So when are we getting the new trailer then? Surely it should drop soonish?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

My biggest take from that video: "The pressure is so high. We're making a film that is right touching my favorite movie of all time. But then if you are too respectful of it that you don't do anything new, different, take a risk, then what are you bringing to the table?"

Gareth throwing some shade.

Edwards is awesome. I am going to miss him doing Godzilla 2, though.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Lord Hydronium posted:

He's originally from ESB anyway.

True, but the story of him and Zuckuss becoming Rebels was introduced in Tales from the Bounty Hunters, I think.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'll have you know it's those damned stormtroopers crashing the sweet beach party

Weekend at Bothans'

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It should be ok - its monster on monster action. No explicit deaths. Just buildings falling down.

Your kid will love it and pretend they are Godzilla.

like me.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Carteret posted:

They showed the sizzle reel again on the livestream while the audience saw the new footage. We didn't see what they saw.

Those clever bastards!

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
That video had me foaming at the mouth, and then she kinda dulled my enthusiasm with that last spoken line. There was something kind of snarky and sarcastic about it. Maybe in context it will make more sense but her delivery made me recoil a little (and not because she has a vagina, before someone suggests that - as a dad, I love that my daughters have a Star Wars hero like Rey).

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The little smirk she puts forth while saying it definitely makes me feel like she was saying it sarcastically.

Almost like "Ha! The Force. We don't need the Force. We'll make our own luck. :smug:"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Having a female han solo type is gonna own

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So any indication that we're getting that trailer soon?

I'm not watching some shmuck's lovely camera phone version

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jerkface posted:

Having a female han solo type is gonna own

It's gonna be cool when she's Rey's mom

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Zoran posted:

It's gonna be cool when she's Rey's mom

Rey is supposed to be what, 19 years old in TFA, which takes place 30+ years after ROTJ?

Jyn Erso ain't getting pregnant any time during this movie if that's the case.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Gonz posted:

Rey is supposed to be what, 19 years old in TFA, which takes place 30+ years after ROTJ?

Jyn Erso ain't getting pregnant any time during this movie if that's the case.

Yes, of course not. But who else could it be? The only female character of approximately the right age in all the Star Wars films to date is Leia. Then here comes this new prequel movie starring an all-new female character who's a young woman right before ANH and could plausibly have Rey 15 years later.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zoran posted:

Yes, of course not. But who else could it be?

Mom Mothmom.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

homullus posted:

Mom Mothmom.

My God, the truth was in front of us all along.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

So I watched the lovely bootleg trailer footage, and it's like a minute long.

Not 3 minutes as was suggested previously.

So if there's a "3 minute trailer" tonight, then it's most likely going to be the sizzle reel, which is almost 3 minutes.

Goddamnit, Lucasarts.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

This guy is GitS as gently caress

like that is some straight up shirow masamune poo poo right there

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

teasers always come first. Trailers are 2.5 minutes. Anything that is 3 minutes is going to be an EPK or sizzle reel with behind the scenes footage. They are a long way from finishing this film, no way a 3 minute trailer would be released.

My god what a nightmare that would be to get done at this point in the campaign.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Whatever it was that's on the camera phone thing and the celebration guests got to see is what I'm asking about.

Like, when's that online?

Gareth Edwards directorial report:

Godzilla was indeed awesome and hhhat jr loved it.

The guy knows how to squeeze tension out of a scene, and I was only looking at edits and framing and dialog and crap for like 2 minutes at the start because the movie just pulled me in. So, Star Wars is in some good hands.

hhhat fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 16, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
gently caress you ABC. JUST. ugh.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That poster looks loving awful lol

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

That poster looks loving awful lol

Looks like a fan made poster. So much sloppy Photoshopping.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ABC=Trash.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Oh boy, Thrawn rejoins canon on next season of Rebels...

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

HerzogZwo posted:

Oh boy, Thrawn rejoins canon on next season of Rebels...

I was beaten by minutes

They even do the art thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmXp802sFgQ

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Well that was certainly a trailer they just dropped. Given time, they might just drop the one we all actually want.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Lotta good stuff in there. Possible Wedge Antilles, Dark Troopers, the darksaber, Maul, concept-art Boba Fett imperial mandos, Beardy Kanan

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

Lotta good stuff in there. Possible Wedge Antilles, Dark Troopers, the darksaber, Maul, concept-art Boba Fett imperial mandos, Beardy Kanan

I hardly think that's 'possible' Wedge.

Pretty sure somewhere back in his story he was definitely an Imperial pilot, right?

I do really enjoy the crap out of Rebels though. This season looks like fun.

Now where's my Rogue One trailer?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't tell if that was supposed to actually be Wedge or if that was Ezra or somebody using the name as a code name. Like when Ezra went undercover at the imperial academy on Lothal

(Edit: I was watching the trailer on my phone on terrible wifi; you may very well be right)

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Thrawn is getting his own book too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BillBear posted:

Thrawn is getting his own book too.

Written by Timothy Zahn, no less

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
New canon, same as the old canon.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Written by Timothy Zahn, no less

Nerds have a fatal allergy to change, so may as well reduce the amount of anaphylaxis if Zahn is still around and willing to do it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Never really had a problem with the character and one of the more interesting things about him was he's not human in an obviously human superior empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Thrawn was pulpy but cool and memorable, which is more than most of the EU can say. I reread the 3+2 Zahn-Thrawn books in between the EU cancelation + TFA release to sort of revisit it for the first time since I was a kid and they aren't nearly as good as people remember. Probably said that in the thread a couple times now though.

I do however like that a new version of him is being used in the canon, and the homage to ysalimiri in the framing of those things over his shoulders. Wonder if the EU hardliners are going to be mad that this places him on the complete opposite end of the OT timeline as his main books. Also, if he's a one-season villain that gets killed at the end, there will be tears. Bonus points if it's Maul. The all-star of the old EU killed by the unkillable cockroach of the prequels on the orders of the EU-killing Disney corporation.

• Locked thread