Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
There should be an ogre specific mutation that causes you to grow a second head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thalamas posted:

There should be an ogre specific mutation that causes you to grow a second head.
Mutation effect is a +1 apt increase to a random magic school. Has downside of *Confuse because ogre heads argue with each other over who is at fault for taking damage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you have two heads you should be able to wear two hats.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Illogical. Cats have a head and they can't wear hats.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Minotaurs can wear hats even though their horns would rip holes in the hat though.

FR: Every time you headbutt as a minotaur your hat's enchantment goes down 1

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I pick necronomicon over pain brand because necromancer is one of my favorite extended builds. Pain brand isn't much use there, and I can always find some other weapon that does plenty of damage and isn't resisted as often.

For a 3 rune game I can see why everyone would prefer pain brand.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I know that Trog is like BeginnerGod, but I realised today if you want to make it equal with the other Gods in the game, you just have to make it so Trog doesn't wait on you, but burns spellbooks as soon as they're in your LOS. As it is, burning spellbooks doesn't give you much piety compared to mindless slaughter, and holding onto books to make conjure flame stopping points is a pretty tedious job with limited use. And this would mean you don't get to hoard nice spellbooks and just memorise from them after you leave Trog.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

I know that Trog is like BeginnerGod, but I realised today if you want to make it equal with the other Gods in the game, you just have to make it so Trog doesn't wait on you, but burns spellbooks as soon as they're in your LOS. As it is, burning spellbooks doesn't give you much piety compared to mindless slaughter, and holding onto books to make conjure flame stopping points is a pretty tedious job with limited use. And this would mean you don't get to hoard nice spellbooks and just memorise from them after you leave Trog.

Also make him burn any shops that contain a spell book.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pathetic little tramp posted:

And this would mean you don't get to hoard nice spellbooks and just memorise from them after you leave Trog.
...that's not really a problem. Trog's wrath is already so bad(on top of being strongly pushed towards staying with Trog just by virtue of how good Trog is), I don't know why you would want abandoning Trog to be disincentivized even more than it already is. Like, practically no one ever abandons Trog in the first place, for good reason.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Floodkiller posted:

I also thought of this. I should really be able to burn down book shops dammit.

You set the bookshop on fire!
The owner screams in agony!
Trog is delighted!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I pick necronomicon over pain brand because necromancer is one of my favorite extended builds. Pain brand isn't much use there, and I can always find some other weapon that does plenty of damage and isn't resisted as often.

For a 3 rune game I can see why everyone would prefer pain brand.

I always play my games intending to 15 rune and every game I've won except the one with the Trog invocations title has had deaths door castable, even the troll. I would still never pick the Necronomicon over pain brand unless pain was totally obsolete.

The thing is to reach 15 runes you have to first reach 3 runes, in 15 runes you are extremely likely to find the Necronomicon in time, and Kikus end cap typically unlocks before you finish lair.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I've got a pretty good early randart ring that corrodes upon damage, and I just found a ring of resist corrosion. I assume the rCorr ring won't resist the corrosion from the randart...? right?

edit: i'm no longer using that ring but I'm still curious. I would have experimented but I found +6 evasion right before the rCorr.

I am Otis fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 14, 2016

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
Since when did Fi start with a potion of might?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

I am Otis posted:

I've got a pretty good early randart ring that corrodes upon damage, and I just found a ring of resist corrosion. I assume the rCorr ring won't resist the corrosion from the randart...? right?

edit: i'm no longer using that ring but I'm still curious. I would have experimented but I found +6 evasion right before the rCorr.

I'm pretty sure it would - I was in a similiar situation and never had my equipment corrode me until I took the rCorr off - but that's purely anecdotal, somebody with the gumption to check the code or Wizmode it could say for sure.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

firestruck posted:

Since 2014.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

firestruck posted:

It's sweet. Basically a free NPC kill or emergency button.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Floodkiller posted:

One of the biggest things missing from crawl IMO is that you can't use your "burn book" invocation to make book shops loving explode.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

rj54x posted:

I'm pretty sure it would - I was in a similiar situation and never had my equipment corrode me until I took the rCorr off - but that's purely anecdotal, somebody with the gumption to check the code or Wizmode it could say for sure.

It should, iirc.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FulsomFrank posted:

It's sweet. Basically a free NPC kill or emergency button.

Yeah I call it the "sigmund potion"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

It should, iirc.

It should corrode you through rCorr? That's been my experience.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
rCorr just ignores 50% of corrosion attempts normally, iirc.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Can Of Worms posted:

rCorr just ignores 50% of corrosion attempts normally, iirc.

They should replace rCorr with potions of Cure Corrosion. Then add a unique monster modeled on Billy Mays that walks around shouting slogans at you and drops a bunch of potions when he dies, some of which will always be the Cure Corrosion potions.

KEEP YOUR ARMOR LOOKING LIKE NEW WITH CORRODE-B-GONE*
*Prolonged use of Corrode B Gone may summon Bees instead.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
The current state of corrosion is that it just forces you to find a way to reset the fight if you get a few bad rCorr rolls. It's probably better than the permanent equipment corroding in the days of old, but it's now just a tedious effect that doesn't really do anything unless you get rng hosed and end up with -12 corrode through your rCorr. And when you see an entropy weaver, well, that's your cue to stair dance everything.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Yeah, I got double entropy weavers on a zig level, that should have been my clue to stop descending and finish my 15.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Kefit posted:

The current state of corrosion is that it just forces you to find a way to reset the fight if you get a few bad rCorr rolls. It's probably better than the permanent equipment corroding in the days of old, but it's now just a tedious effect that doesn't really do anything unless you get rng hosed and end up with -12 corrode through your rCorr. And when you see an entropy weaver, well, that's your cue to stair dance everything.

I agree with this. In general my opinion of things that you only notice when they go incredibly bad is that they aren't very fun at all because the only interaction you have with those kinds of things are a) kinda just ignore it unless it happens and b) bail immediately if and when it does. It's just a dice roll of "am I going to have to split from this fight at some point with little other decision Y/n". Like, -3 Corr, minor nuisance, -6 Corr, potentially deadly, Crawl Gods help you if it gets to -9. Item degradation was awful but at least it was somewhat more involved since it encouraged (well, demanded) a completely different approach to corroders.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The current state of Crawl is that it just forces you to find a way to reset the fight if you get a few bad damage rolls.

Wait.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Healing and defensive abilities exist, nothing undoes corrosion until it wears off by itself. Health is also a lot more gradated, and yeah it can swing hard sometimes, but it's much less binary than Corr.

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 15, 2016

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Philip Rivers posted:

Healing and defensive abilities exist, nothing undoes corrosion until it wears off by itself. Health is also a lot more gradated, and yeah it can swing hard sometimes, but it's much less binary than Corr.

Actually I believe cancellation removes corrosion.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't care about corrosion most the time. Then again most the time I'm playing blaster casters that try to avoid being hit by using superior fire power to kill anything before it reaches me anyways.

Who cares if my weapon and armor dies?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

demonspawn.png

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Never thought I would win a Troll. So many near deaths; it was stressful for parts of the game, but most of it I just walked right through. Morgue: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/buddhastalin/morgue-buddhastalin-20160716-014129.txt

code:
2584793 buddhastalin the Heavyweight Champion (level 27, 291/291 HPs)
             Began as a Troll Monk on July 13, 2016.
             Was an Elder of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on July 16, 2016!

The game lasted 05:17:23 (63771 turns).

buddhastalin the Heavyweight Champion (Troll Monk) Turns: 63771, Time: 05:17:24

Health: 291/291    AC: 34    Str: 32    XL:     27
Magic:  37/37      EV: 28    Int: 22    God:    Cheibriados [****..]
Gold:   4794       SH: 29    Dex: 27    Spells: 2 memorised, 24 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .      - Unarmed
rCold  + + .      Gourm    +    P - +5 pearl dragon armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    y - +6 large shield of Ignorance {rN+ AC+4 Int-6 *Curse}
rPois  .          Spirit   .    D - +3 hat of Pondering {ponderous, MR+ MP+10 Int+5}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    w - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    (gloves unavailable)
SustAt .          Harm     .    (boots unavailable)
MR     ++++.      Clarity  +    M - amulet of Efuol {rN++ Regen+ Int+4 Stlth-}
Stlth  +.........               T - ring of Darphenle {rElec rC+++ rN+ Str-2 Dex-2}
                                a - ring of Xoidyebod {Fire rElec Int+3 Dex+2 Stlth+}

@: very slow, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, beak, claws 3, clarity, dopey 1, fast metabolism 3,
gourmand, low mp 1, regeneration 2, screaming 1, shaggy fur 1, tough skin 2,
weak 1, sturdy frame 1
a: Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, gossamer

You escaped.
You worshipped Cheibriados.
Cheibriados was greatly pleased with you.
You were very full.

You visited 12 branches of the dungeon, and saw 58 of its levels.
You also visited: Labyrinth, Ice Cave, Volcano and Wizlab.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
UC trolls are easily one of the strongest races you can pick. Claws 3 and regeneration and super high hp is really good at all stages of the game. Try them with oka/yred/makhleb next for another near guaranteed win. Just never pick up a club and you win.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I guess I'm going to have to find out if I can beat grinder or not...

e: no, no I can't...

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 16, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
For future reference: That's when you take an escape hatch down from the previous floor and hope for the best. Or just make a mad dash for the downstair.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

I guess I'm going to have to find out if I can beat grinder or not...

e: no, no I can't...

tip for next time: read a tele scroll (if you have one) just before going down the furthest stair. Or look for a trapdoor!

Still pretty bad luck though. :(

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Someone Awful! posted:

tip for next time: read a tele scroll (if you have one) just before going down the furthest stair. Or look for a trapdoor!

I didn't have one, I think it was D3... I guess I could have just read all my scrolls hoping one would be tele though...

Haifisch posted:

For future reference: That's when you take an escape hatch down from the previous floor and hope for the best. Or just make a mad dash for the downstair.

That's actually a great idea, I should have tried that!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh man. I've got a decent Formacid going for once. I hadn't found many weapons (though I did find a +4 longsword that was helpful), and the only jewlery I've found down to D15 is a single ring of wizardry, so I was getting worried. But I popped a bunch of consumables to murder Rupert and he gave me a +4 Triple Sword of Protection, which I rebranded to Draining with my one scroll of Brand Weapon I've found so far. I'm certainly going to get murdered shortly (I really need to train a ranged weapon, but I was hoping to find a crossbow so I could go crossbows instead of bows), but it's been fun just tearing things heads off now that I got that sword.

[EDIT] I could also use an anti-hydra weapon besides just "chop off heads faster than they can grow them".
[E2] Scimitar of Flaming for murdering Azrael. That'll do for now.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 16, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Triple swords do so much damage that you can murder hydrae regardless.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't strictly need a ranged weapon. My Fo win was just a fast melee Qaz run, in which I basically didn't bother to use Upheaval or the other one. Just gotta be careful with positioning and melee guys hard.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I drew Snake and Shoals as my two Lair branches. Which is easier? I'm thinking Snake, considering I don't really have much of a way to fly in Shoals.

Also, I finally found Cure Mutation to try and get rid of the bad muts I got from eating a billion Ugly Thing corpses (if I have learned nothing else from the thread, it is EAT THE PURPLE!) but it managed to get rid of all but 1 of my good muts and not the one mut I really wanted to get rid of (shouting). :v:

• Locked thread